Homemade CBD tincture with no oil - And is accurate dosing possible?

MikkaTheEnt

Hi all. Hope this is the right forum for this kind of question. If not, please feel free to nudge me in the right direction. It's actually a 2-part question.

I have been taking sublingual CBD oil for a while and find it extremely beneficial for my migraines and general chronic pain issues, so much so that I'm recommending this to friends and family who have ailments that can be helped with CBD. But I have one friend who really needs some help but who cannot tolerate oil products at all, and short of vaping CBD strains (which he'd like to avoid if possible), I've been looking into making my own CBD tincture without oil at all for him to use, since we cannot find any for sale.

I've seen lots of recipes for Everclear extraction, which don't use any oil. But I gather that there is natural oil left behind after the distillation process is done, so I'm not sure this will work for him. Before I go making any this way, I don't want to waste my next grow on making a product that he cannot use. Has anyone reading ever made CBD tincture this way, and how did it work for you, and was it oily?

There is a company here in California claiming to have successfully extracted CBD using water only, but apparently they are going to patent it and keep the process secret, so I don't think I could hope to duplicate it at home. I assume they must be at least centrifuging, if not using sonics or some other separation method.

So does anyone know if it's even possible to create a CBD tincture (from some strain like Cannatonic) at home without ending up with oil, but rather either a water- or alcohol-based tincture that can be either dropped or sprayed under the tongue?

Next question: dosing. Of course if I'm making my own, I won't be able to accurately tell how many mg of CBD per ml I or anyone else would be getting without lab testing for at least strength. I found a place called SC Labs that will do this kind of testing, and it costs $100. They apparently do most of their business with dispensaries, but they will work with end users but at the same prices they charge dispensaries.

Has anyone who has made their own CBD tincture gone to the trouble of lab testing? If not, how did you determine what a proper and accurate dosage was with your product?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Alcohol tinctures are the easiest to make and they are not at all "oily."

I have not made a "CBD only" tincture but have made several with hybrids comprised of THC and CBD.

I do have Thunder Struck (20:1 CBD:THC) flower that I could make into an alcohol tincture, and if I were to do it, I would use the exact same process.

The only problem with the alcohol tinctures is that they taste terrible, I can not simple put it under my tongue because it burns like crazy. I always mix half teaspoonful in a couple ounces of cranberry juice and have developed a taste for it that way:thumb:

What about very finely ground up buds in a gel cap? Other options: use kief which you could put in gels caps, or even just eat it. Chewing on a pea size chunk of good bud has lots of benefits. Just like chewing tobacco without the spitting eww. Put dried ground bud or kief in coffee or tea works too. Any type of drink really.

Edit to add: all these options require decarbing your bud first.

I'm interested in trying oil for IBS. Does anyone know how to figure out the dosage? I also read about sublingual sprays. That appeals to me. Anyone have any info on that? - like dosage, etc. Thank you. lpaul95891@aol.com - Lois Paul

OK, here's a long overdue update.

We settled on vaping CBD eliquid. He wasn't keen on vaping at first, but since even the water extraction method one CBD supplier used in their sublingual product bothered his digestive system, he went ahead and decided he'd rather get relief. He bought a pen and refillable cartridge from Bluebird. I ended up getting one too along with an extra cart which I'll use for THC oil; it's a great way to get them into your system very quickly without the taste of oil and hemp under your tongue. The vapor is thick and cool, and you can regulate how much you get by how deep and long you draw. Not sure what the dosage is per puff, but we figured just puff a few, wait 15 minutes and see how you feel, puff some more if needed. Seems to work out just fine without having to do all the math.

Thanks to everyone here who posted.

Lerp1111, you might want to consider this vaping solution as well. My friend has IBS-D and any oil product at all caused all kinds of problems, but he's getting real relief now. Here's the link we used:

CBD Vape Products - CBD Vape Oil and Hardware Set

Good luck if you choose to go that way.

Hi MikkaTheEnt,

I came across your post while searching on "dosing". But I noticed you were talking about your friend who couldn't tolerate oils. Well, I'm the same way. At any rate, I wanted to send a shout out and find out how you are both doing with the vaping? I myself cannot vape as it blows my ankles up like balloons. Best wishes, Kelly

Hey Kelly, sorry for the late reply, got distracted by a lengthy family illness. My friend had to quit vaping, he said he "scorched" his throat. He's off CBD completely right now, choosing instead to go back to his regular doc for meds. Intolerance to oils is a tough nut to crack. I tried him on vaping flower, vaping ejuice, tincture under the tongue, and edibles, and in all cases his system just didn't take to it well, and caused him lots of grief. Hope you have found a solution for yourself that works.

Back
Top Bottom