CBD while on blood thinners?

metallica516

hey everyone, few months ago i had knee surgery and ended up getting a blood clot from my leg into my chest and getting PE. I am currently because of that on blood thinners for up to a full year.

since im post op with my knee i am in PT and its a lot of stress/pain and struggle to get back to normal. I was looking into taking CBD to help with all this stuff. Does anyone take CBD oil while on blood thinners or know if this is safe? I am going to ask my doctor soon but i have a feeling he will not really know about CBD and the risks of doing this.

I did a little research on this and the CBD does block the hormone that releases allowing the blood thinners to work. Now it did say in the study that large doses had to be taken to cause this, but I would be cautious.

I did a little research on this and the CBD does block the hormone that releases allowing the blood thinners to work. Now it did say in the study that large doses had to be taken to cause this, but I would be cautious.

yeah i read the same thing. I am in such a rare cause that i had knee surgery and now need to take thinners for so long but really want to take CBD to help with my knee surgery recovery.

I will see if my doctor knows anything about this but i have a strong feeling he wont, worth a ask though.

I wish I had more info. How fucked over have we been by this moronic prohibition. I don't even bother with doctors on this subject. Too close minded. Have you considered treating topically? I would imagine that would be a little less potent on the blood stream

I wish I had more info. How fucked over have we been by this moronic prohibition. I don't even bother with doctors on this subject. Too close minded. Have you considered treating topically? I would imagine that would be a little less potent on the blood stream

what does that mean? Im sorry im very very new to CBD and dont know too much.

what does that mean? Im sorry im very very new to CBD and dont know too much.

For example I will use it orally in a tincture (fluid) form to treat anxiety, sleep issues, and general anti inflammatory. But I have a CBD rub stick that I apply to my skin over the area that is sore/infected.

Edit: you can also apply the tincture to the skin. When I take orally I try to rub as much into my gums as possible.

For example I will use it orally in a tincture (fluid) form to treat anxiety, sleep issues, and general anti inflammatory. But I have a CBD rub stick that I apply to my skin over the area that is sore/infected.

Edit: you can also apply the tincture to the skin. When I take orally I try to rub as much into my gums as possible.

oh really? So i can use CBD as like a cream and rub it onto my knee/leg???

I doubt rubbing a cream/salve on any body part is going to effect the blood thinners. I'm on a blood thinner and don't concern myself with it. Makes a person wonder why if grapefruit enhances the effect of cholesterol meds, why not lower the dosage or stop taking and just use grapefruit and apple pectin......

This is my first post. I am very new to the topic of the cannabis oils, and am writing to seek information about its interaction with blood thinners. It is my understanding that different prescription blood thinners act through various mechanisms (e.g. vitamin K antagonists for warfarin, but something completely different - a single factor mechansim - for Xarelto). Does anyone know the mechanism by which cannabis oil acts as a blood thinning agent? In particular I am wondering if PT/INR monitoring of blood coagulation works when using THC/CBD cannabis oils. I know such monitoring is incompatible with Xarelto. Thanks in advance.

Hi guys! I am also on Xeralto from pulmonary embolism (blood clots in my lungs) but they don't know the cause so ill unfortunately be on blood thinners for life. I'm really wanting to try CBD oil but not sure if it's safe with the Xeralto. I'm not wanting to have any issues with metabolizing it. Does that only happen with THC? My DR. has no clue. Any info is greatly appreciated!

I did find an article saying that thc/cbd acts like a blood thinner so can be used instead of chemical blood thinners. But who knows for sure?

Yeah, I've read that a few places too. I'm going to talk to a hemotologist about it- hopefully soon! I would love nothing more than to get off of these meds... except to not have another clot. That's #1 lol It's kind of a sticky situation.. It's like when you see a commercial with all of the horrible side effects of a drug and you think "why the hell would anyone ever take that?!" Well, then something catastrophic happens ( like clots in your lungs or a stroke) and you almost die a horrible, excruciating death- and then you do whatever you need to do to not ever have that come about again. I'm going to make every attempt to try and figure out another way though. Thanks for sharing info. I really appreciate this community. Lots of good stuff in these forums.

On a side note, my mother has diabetes and advanced Parkinson's and I've just started giving her CBD oil. I'm really hoping to see her blood sugars level out and what benefits will come about in the way of her Parkinson's. I really believe this stuff is medicine and think many many people can benefit from usage.

Hi guys! I am also on Xeralto from pulmonary embolism (blood clots in my lungs) but they don't know the cause so ill unfortunately be on blood thinners for life. I'm really wanting to try CBD oil but not sure if it's safe with the Xeralto. I'm not wanting to have any issues with metabolizing it. Does that only happen with THC? My DR. has no clue. Any info is greatly appreciated!

I want to start CBD for cancer and am on blood thinners too for blood clots in my heart. I found this article that seems to explain the mechanism for why CBD might intensify the effects of blood thinners. Hope it helps. CBD-Drug Interactions: Role of Cytochrome P450

Back
Top Bottom