Moon Juice! A simple Cannabis infusion method

TopCola

420 Member
Hello, I am TopCola and I would like to share with you my method for making Cannabis Coconut Oil or MoonJuice as I like to call it. I have been perfecting this method for years and I would love to hear feedback.

Step 1: pre-heat oven too 235F

Step 2: Grind a minimum of one quarter of cannabis. I prefer 20 grams of TopCola ;) Do not use stems or trim. Only high quality flower. You will see why later.

Step 3: Place ground cannabis in a wide mouth mason jar. Place tin foil on top. Fasten lid to mason jar. Leave the middle part of the mason jar off the tinfoil should cover the middle of the jar and allow air to escape. I used to poke a small pinhole in the tinfoil but later found this not necessary.

Step 4: Place mason jar into a large casserole dish. Put the lid of casserole dish on and place it in the oven. The casserole dish is to protect the cannabis from fluctuating temperatures in the oven. I also place cookie sheets on a separate rack between the oven coil and the bottom of the casserole dish. This further protects the cannabis from temperature fluctuations. If you have a convection oven, this works best as it keeps temperatures more uniform in the oven. Since I only have a bake function in my oven I take extra measure to protect the cannabis from the spike in temperature when the coil turns on.

Step 5: Decarb cannabis at 235F for 1.5-2 hours.

Step 6: Remove casserole dish from oven. Allow to cool until safe to touch.

Step 7: Add one cup of coconut oil. I find buying better quality makes a big difference in taste.

Step 8: Seal jar as done in steps 3 and 4 and put back in the oven at 235F. I used to raise the temperature when the oil was added. But I have now realized this does not improve the potency and may actually decrease potency.

Step 9: Cook cannabis and oil at 235F for minimum 2 hours. I prefer 4 hours.

Step 10: Remove from oven. Allow to cool. Once the oil has cooled enough to become thick again. Still it well to make a consistent mixture of oil and cannabis. Refrigerate.

Your done! You now have yourself some MoonJuice.

Take one teaspoon to reach the moon. Take one and a half teaspoons to make it to Jupiter. Take two teaspoons to reach Pluto.

I used to strain out the plant material and then when I was finished my oil after a few months I would eat the plant material (it works just as good as the oil). Now I leave the plant material in the oil and I have found that it is a lot more potent as well as make the process much easier. This is why I like to only use TopCola (high quality flower) for my MoonJuice. Also, this method produces almost zero smell making it good for my apartment. Sealing the jar and waiting for it to cool reduces the smell drastically. It's pretty much non-existent. I use a wide mouth jar because it makes it easy to scoop it out with a teaspoon. I like using a teaspoon because it is really simple. You could also add this to capsules but then you might as well call it moonpills!

Please be careful with dosing. Going to Pluto sounds fun, but for me it is scary and intense and best for a relaxing day away from others. Hovering in the clouds or staying close to the moon is much more to my liking. Also do not drive on MoonJuice! This can last anywhere from 3 to 10 hours. Be careful and start slow.

I look forward to your comments and feedback. Please feel free to ask me questions and I will certainly respond.

Cannabis has played a vital role in my life since age 12. I would not be where I am today without this plant. I hope one day it is accepted by the world for the wonderful plant it is.

Your last comment hit a raw nerve in me. We keep hearing how we have to protect the children from the dangers of cannabis, and yet, if you did a poll here I'm certain most of the members started smoking in the early teens. How many of us turned into worthless slugs because we started introducing extra forces to the endocannabinoid system in the early teens? I'd bet my life it will be less than 5%.

I'll have to start a thread. :cheesygrinsmiley:

This is a very good way to make an infused canna oil. It reminds me of the method I follow for a 36-hour decarb. That method has the plant material and oil in a tightly sealed jar and placed in the oven at the lowest setting for 36 hours, shaking vigoriously when you think of it. This both infuses the oil and decarbs the bud.

I like that you figured out to leave the plant material in there, and that eating that which we tend to toss also carries euphoric benefit. I have some around here, and I'll stop tossing mine until I test it out. Hadn't considered leaving it all together, although the fresh harvest oil uses a more concentrated ratio of plant material to oil. Everytime I get ready to reduce 100 grams of wet material in a mere 125 ml of oil I ask myself how this is going to work. :laughtwo: Hasn't failed me yet, and I'm four batches in. :green_heart:

I'm uncomfortable with decarbing in the oven without a roasting bag. I believe confining the terpenes to this enclosed system and tossing it into the freezer for an hour lets the volitile terpenes sink back down into the plant material. I have no science behind that contention, just sheer hope that I'm right, because those terps are invaluable to me.

The Dutch researchers discovered that perfect decarb for THC can be obtained at 230 F for 110 minutes. Just to let you see how close you came. :high-five:

I prefer the oil in capsules. Taste is a major reason. With capsules there's no taste issue. Capsules travel much easier than oil in a jar, and they're easier to duplicate the effects with their measured contents. I work with many medicinal patients, and when you treat disease with cannabis it helps to be able to control doses. With cannabis as a medicine sometimes too little or too much will bring you the opposite effect you were hoping for.

This is a great recipe TopCola, containing many wonderful attributes. It's simple and effective, and retains a good portion of the terpenes. You've lost a significant number of the monoterpenes, I'm sure, with the oven decarb, but you were instinctive enough to close them into the jar, so maybe no so much, eh? :cheesygrinsmiley:

Not as potent by far as what I'm playing with at the moment, but with a little tweaking you could refine it a little more. I'm pretty sure you'll try the fresh harvest oil and never look back. All the oils I've produced when I used similar methods don't stand up to the fresh harvest infused oil.

Thanks for the feedback SweetSue! I completely agree with you about the capsules. When using cannabis to treat a medical condition it makes a lot more sense to ensure consistent dosing. Especially if you increase the potency of the oil because then there is small difference in oil volume between a small and large dose of cannabinoids. I am skeptical if this would be a good method to do with a fresh harvest. Since I like to leave the plant matter in the oil, the water from the fresh harvest may make the oil more susceptible to bacterial and mold. For this reason I think the oil bath method SweetSue uses would be better for fresh harvest since you evaporate out the water. Also I am certain her method would be more potent.
I am also happy to hear your thoughts about when I started using cannabis. I will be posting more about this on the new thread you started regarding this

Thanks for the feedback SweetSue! I completely agree with you about the capsules. When using cannabis to treat a medical condition it makes a lot more sense to ensure consistent dosing. Especially if you increase the potency of the oil because then there is small difference in oil volume between a small and large dose of cannabinoids. I am skeptical if this would be a good method to do with a fresh harvest. Since I like to leave the plant matter in the oil, the water from the fresh harvest may make the oil more susceptible to bacterial and mold. For this reason I think the oil bath method SweetSue uses would be better for fresh harvest since you evaporate out the water. Also I am certain her method would be more potent.
I am also happy to hear your thoughts about when I started using cannabis. I will be posting more about this on the new thread you started regarding this

This fresh harvest infused oil was developed by our own PsyCro. I'm just louder and more relentlessly passionate than he had time for. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Thanks for sharing your recipe. I use for chronic pain and nerve pain. I'm looking for very simple recipes and I love this one. I'm interested in doing this in capsule form because it seems discreet.

Sweet Sue, how much odor does the finished capsules have?
Also, should I start lower than quarter ounce to test out potency or do you think quarter ounce to 1 cup coconut oil would be a good start?

I'm a complete newbie at medical marijuana. Been vaping and some edibles someone else made but I just would rather take a pill. Guess Big Pharma got me trained good because been taking so much pharmaceutical pills for 10 years!!!

Beachbumcindy I'm glad your going to try this recipe. I would not recommend using less than a quarter ounce for 1 cup of oil. If you would like to test it with a smaller amount of cannabis, then I would recommend doing an 1/8 ounce (3.5 grams) to half a cup of oil. However, I think you will be disappointed in the potency of 3.5 grams to half a cup of oil. With this ratio you will probably need 2 teaspoons of oil for an effective dose, and closer to 3 teaspoons to make it onto the moon. Keep in mind a teaspoon is 15 ml of oil, and the largest pills are around 1.5 ml. So if you put it into pills you will need a lot to capsules to get an effective dose. Let me warn you though that I have a fairly high tolerance, so if you are a newbie, then please be cautious when first testing it and start with a low dose.
If you would like to try this recipe with a smaller amount of cannabis to get the hang of it, then I would recommend using 3.5 grams with a quarter cup of oil. This will be much more potent and you will only need one teaspoon to reach the moon (again I would start with a smaller dose if I was a newbie). The finished oil has a mild cannabis odor if you put your nose up to the jar. The capsules would mitigate it even more. Opening the jar and closing it does not leave any lingering ordor in the air. This may vary if your cannabis is especially pungent. Please let me know how it turns out and let me know if you have any other questions.

Beachbumcindy I'm glad your going to try this recipe. I would not recommend using less than a quarter ounce for 1 cup of oil. If you would like to test it with a smaller amount of cannabis, then I would recommend doing an 1/8 ounce (3.5 grams) to half a cup of oil. However, I think you will be disappointed in the potency of 3.5 grams to half a cup of oil. With this ratio you will probably need 2 teaspoons of oil for an effective dose, and closer to 3 teaspoons to make it onto the moon. Keep in mind a teaspoon is 15 ml of oil, and the largest pills are around 1.5 ml. So if you put it into pills you will need a lot to capsules to get an effective dose. Let me warn you though that I have a fairly high tolerance, so if you are a newbie, then please be cautious when first testing it and start with a low dose.
If you would like to try this recipe with a smaller amount of cannabis to get the hang of it, then I would recommend using 3.5 grams with a quarter cup of oil. This will be much more potent and you will only need one teaspoon to reach the moon (again I would start with a smaller dose if I was a newbie). The finished oil has a mild cannabis odor if you put your nose up to the jar. The capsules would mitigate it even more. Opening the jar and closing it does not leave any lingering ordor in the air. This may vary if your cannabis is especially pungent. Please let me know how it turns out and let me know if you have any other questions.

Sorry. Learning how this works. Thanks for taking the time to respond! I smoked as a teenager and that's the extent of most of my knowledge. In last 6 months tried it and it helped my chronic pain so much.
I will try the 3.5gm to 1/4 cup as soon as I can. Having a very bad flare right now. I will definitely let you know how it goes as soon as I can do it.
I really appreciate your help.

Great, I'm happy to help you. Since you are still learning then I would just like to reiterate to start with a small dose. This oil can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours to take effect. Typically the effect are felt after 45 minutes, but it all depends on how much you have ate that day since you are digesting it. Good luck!

Great, I'm happy to help you. Since you are still learning then I would just like to reiterate to start with a small dose. This oil can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours to take effect. Typically the effect are felt after 45 minutes, but it all depends on how much you have ate that day since you are digesting it. Good luck!

I've been trying out peach gummy rings 10mg and gummy watermelons 5 mg. I can't remember brand name. Definitely starting out with small dose! I had one time that it was a bit too much and I wasted the day zoning out -completely couch-locked. Ha! But they are too expensive here to continue on a regular basis.

Also, when I do use them, sometimes they work and sometimes they don't AT ALL. I have been keeping track of when I take, how I feel, how long the pain relief lasts, etc. I have an app called Releaf. It's really hard figuring out. When they do work, it is the best pain relief and longer duration. That's why I'm very interested in your simple recipe. I've looked into the Magical Butter Machine to make creams and oils but worried about smell with the butter machine.

Oh yea, when the gummy do work it is almost exactly 2 hours every time. I've heard something I read here about greasy/oily meal before taking it. Haven't tried that yet though. Any suggestions from anyone will help. Thanks TopCola!

I take the oil first thing in the morning before having breakfast, I find that when it I take a mild dose in the middle of the day I sometimes don't feel it for a long time. I have heard from many people that the edibles purchased from stores can be hit and miss and that the potency varies a lot. I have never purchased an edible before. The oil potency made with this recipe will vary slightly from batch to batch depending on method and flower potency. However within a batch, the capsule potency will be consistent (I hope that is clear enough to understand). Basically if you make capsules with this oil, each capsule will have the same potency within a batch. The only thing that changes the affects is your own body, what you ate that day and what time you take it at. I speculate that a teaspoon of oil (3.5g per 1/4cup oil) will be much more potent than a 10mg gummy, Since I have never bought a 10 or 5mg gummy, I can only speculate on its potency. I have never used a magical butter machine, I would like to buy one but it is expensive and the oil that I make works very well so I will probably save my money. I have heard great things about them though.

Yes, what you are saying makes sense to me about the potency.

That's interesting that you said "I find that when it I take a mild dose in the middle of the day I sometimes don't feel it for a long time." I have only used it in the afternoon AFTER I have worked up pain coverage in the morning thru vaping. I have done this because I cannot wait for 2 hours for relief in the morning. The pain is too bad for that. I have taken them at bedtime and it helped to sleep thru the night and not wake up in pain during the night.

I eventually want to make the capsules for discreet dosing when out and about. That's my main goal.

What coconut oil do you use? I was thinking of going to Whole Foods and getting some if you have heard of them. Would that be a good idea to go there to get better quality?

I've been trying out peach gummy rings 10mg and gummy watermelons 5 mg. I can't remember brand name. Definitely starting out with small dose! I had one time that it was a bit too much and I wasted the day zoning out -completely couch-locked. Ha! But they are too expensive here to continue on a regular basis.

Also, when I do use them, sometimes they work and sometimes they don't AT ALL. I have been keeping track of when I take, how I feel, how long the pain relief lasts, etc. I have an app called Releaf. It's really hard figuring out. When they do work, it is the best pain relief and longer duration. That's why I'm very interested in your simple recipe. I've looked into the Magical Butter Machine to make creams and oils but worried about smell with the butter machine.

Oh yea, when the gummy do work it is almost exactly 2 hours every time. I've heard something I read here about greasy/oily meal before taking it. Haven't tried that yet though. Any suggestions from anyone will help. Thanks TopCola!

They work longer and better because the body metabolizes the delta-9 THC into 11-hydroxy THC, which is between 4 and 10 times more powerful. That's why you can get away with a smaller dose.

If you have a meal with fat, or even a spoonful of coconut oil about 30 minutes before the dose you'll feel it stronger too. That applies with this oil too. Any cannabis dose can be potentiated by timing it with a fatty meal or snack.

They work longer and better because the body metabolizes the delta-9 THC into 11-hydroxy THC, which is between 4 and 10 times more powerful.

Thanks SweetSue. I'm looking forward to spending time in your study hall. I cannot believe the wealth of information I am finding here. I am so very grateful for finding this.:thanks:

Sweet Sue, where would I go to find information on how to use cannabis to avoid cancer but never have the euphoric feelings from the THC. Is that possible? My husband's father died from colon rectal cancer at a very young age. Will just the CBD Oil work for that? Thank you for your time.

i
Hi Beachbum, I tried those Gummy Bears and lemon drops from a dispensary in Colorado. I got nothing from them. Even popped two lemon drops before boarding a plane and again nothing. Maybe it's a quality control thing.

i
Hi Beachbum, I tried those Gummy Bears and lemon drops from a dispensary in Colorado. I got nothing from them. Even popped two lemon drops before boarding a plane and again nothing. Maybe it's a quality control thing.

It could be they didn't decarb correctly. That has to be exasperating.

Thanks for sharing your recipe. I use for chronic pain and nerve pain. I'm looking for very simple recipes and I love this one. I'm interested in doing this in capsule form because it seems discreet.

Sweet Sue, how much odor does the finished capsules have?
Also, should I start lower than quarter ounce to test out potency or do you think quarter ounce to 1 cup coconut oil would be a good start?

I'm a complete newbie at medical marijuana. Been vaping and some edibles someone else made but I just would rather take a pill. Guess Big Pharma got me trained good because been taking so much pharmaceutical pills for 10 years!!!

The capsule will give you greater relief for a longer period of time, so you're wise to explore edibles in capsule form. We have a thread on converting your oil into potent capsules that hit within minutes of ingestion and last for hours and hours. They're the ones we use when treating cancer, and used as suppositories there's no psychoactivity at all, just a feeling of wellbeing.

The capsules do have an odor, but mostly in large quantities, as in the jar in the fridge. When you open it, you know it's cannabis. :laughtwo:

I have a new thread that gives you basic links to the medical threads. It's the second link down in my signature. That will give you a general overview of what's available. I can always be found either in Cajun's room or in my study hall. Feel free to track me down anytime. :circle-of-love:

Thanks SweetSue. I'm looking forward to spending time in your study hall. I cannot believe the wealth of information I am finding here. I am so very grateful for finding this.:thanks:

Sweet Sue, where would I go to find information on how to use cannabis to avoid cancer but never have the euphoric feelings from the THC. Is that possible? My husband's father died from colon rectal cancer at a very young age. Will just the CBD Oil work for that? Thank you for your time.

You want Cajun's room. A Base Treatment Regimen for Cancer

To answer your question, no, CBD alone won't tackle cancer. You want a ratio of at least 2:1 THC:CBD, and upwards to 5:1 will destroy most cancers.

Beachbumcindy, I shop at whole foods from time to time. I always use high quality organic coconut oil. Since I just eat the coconut oil straight without a capsule I noticed that the taste is much better with the better quality oil. I once used old cheap coconut oil and the taste was terrible. I can't comment on the potency being any different because I don't know. Making capsules you will have less to worry about when it comes to the taste.

Beachbumcindy, I shop at whole foods from time to time. I always use high quality organic coconut oil. Since I just eat the coconut oil straight without a capsule I noticed that the taste is much better with the better quality oil. I once used old cheap coconut oil and the taste was terrible. I can't comment on the potency being any different because I don't know. Making capsules you will have less to worry about when it comes to the taste.

:thumb: I got unrefined organic coconut oil to day. I hope that's right. One little step at a time. What size capsules do you recommend for the amounts you gave specifically to me? I also got a plunger syringe with measurements on the side for when I decide to make the capsules. Any ideas about what to use to hold the capsules while filling them?
:thanks:

Back
Top Bottom