Cleaning up the oil for eliquid

gateswood

420 Member
I mix 99% crystalline CBD with terpenes into PG at a rate of 50 mg/ml to use in a temperature control personal vaporizer. I use this for chronic pain. I also use a high THC indica oil mixed with coconut oil in capsules. I think this oil may be similar to RSO but I'm not sure. In "grain of rice" dosing they're eXtremely potent. Too potent for my needs so I melt, remix with extra coconut oil and re encapsulate. I've been using the capsules since April and it's wonderful medicine for pain.

I recently got some of this oil in pure, undiluted form. My idea is to add some oil to my CBD/PG e-liquid for quicker and more effective short term relief. I think this cannabis oil may need some purification to be best suited for this. The oil is is a very hard mass and black in color. It's (eventually/mostly) soluble in PG or in 95% ethanol but not all of it will ever completely dissolve.

For an initial test run I put 30 mg into 3 ml of PG along with 150 mg of CBD crystals to see how it does. It all dissolved except for a tiny bit and turned the normally clear liquid very dark and mostly opaque. For effect, it's doing well for designed purpose but is clogging up my coil with less than two ml puffed. It has to be the cannabis oil because coils used for vaporizing plain CBD liquid are lasting more than 8 months so far.

I need to clean up some of this oil. I began by dissolving 500 mg in 5 ml of everclear. To dissolve more of it, I did two more washes and now have 8 ml of almost black fluid I'm trying to winterize after an initial pass through a pre-filter. This 13 ml test tube with absolutely opaque fluid has been in a -6° F freezer since Monday morning with no sign of precipitation of waxes or lipids. No separation at all.

Can anyone give me some tips on how to clean up small amounts of this oil?

06AtMQw.jpg

Winterized?

Here is the result of eight days in the freezer at -6° F and filtering the solution inside the same freezer. Doing this netted no waxes or other plant trash that I can identify. Only a slight green tint. Is it possible the solution made from the hard, tar-like oil seen above has no wax or lipids in it?

I guess I'll let the alcohol evaporate now and see if I have something different than what I started with last week

Moderator/Administrator, is there a better subforum on the site that may be a better place to seek help with these questions?

after_winter.jpg

Take 2 on THC eliquid. This time with 50 mg of the oil, 150 mg of the CBD crystal isolate with AC/DC terpenes. The CBD always dissolves in the PG without a trace. The AC/DC variant is water clear. Adding in the 50 mg of oil doesn't seem to increase the viscosity a whole bunch and it seems to amalgamate well without separation. After 24 hours with 12 hours at 120° F, all but a tiny little chip of the oil dissolved.

This mix actually looks just about identical to the half gram of oil dissolved in 8 ml of ethanol only thicker due to the PG.

eliquid_2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom