Canna-oil - Help!

kristophski

Hey everyone,

I could really use some help!

I'm making batches of marijuana infused coconut oil using the mason jar and boiling water method. I decarb (30 gs) then place the buds in the mason jar with 2 cups of coconut oil. I normally let them sit on a low temp (2...10 being max power) then continue to add water to avoid evaporation for about 6 hours. Last night, I decided while I was int the kitchen I would hike the power up to 4 while I was there. Then... I got super distracted.

I left the mason jars boiling at this temperature then came back two hours later to check on them and found that the water had completely evaporated and the pan and bottom of the mason jars were black. The coconut oil in two of them was bubbling mildly while the third (to which I had added 5 tablespoons of honey) was boiling rapidly. Understandably this is because of the sugar.

The oil is meant to be used as an ingredient in a topical cream. I know that at a certain point coconut oil becomes toxic and also that the cannabinoid compounds will degrade. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice as to how I would know. The oil in all three jars tastes fine and doesn't have a burnt smell. I'm hoping that because of the glass barrier the oil may not have gotten as hot as I think and that it boiling doesn't mean its ruined. I've tried researching boiling point for coconut oil but am only finding info on its smoke point.

Any assistance would be massively appreciated. Thanks!

Hey everyone,

I could really use some help!

I'm making batches of marijuana infused coconut oil using the mason jar and boiling water method. I decarb (30 gs) then place the buds in the mason jar with 2 cups of coconut oil. I normally let them sit on a low temp (2...10 being max power) then continue to add water to avoid evaporation for about 6 hours. Last night, I decided while I was int the kitchen I would hike the power up to 4 while I was there. Then... I got super distracted.

I left the mason jars boiling at this temperature then came back two hours later to check on them and found that the water had completely evaporated and the pan and bottom of the mason jars were black. The coconut oil in two of them was bubbling mildly while the third (to which I had added 5 tablespoons of honey) was boiling rapidly. Understandably this is because of the sugar.

The oil is meant to be used as an ingredient in a topical cream. I know that at a certain point coconut oil becomes toxic and also that the cannabinoid compounds will degrade. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice as to how I would know. The oil in all three jars tastes fine and doesn't have a burnt smell. I'm hoping that because of the glass barrier the oil may not have gotten as hot as I think and that it boiling doesn't mean its ruined. I've tried researching boiling point for coconut oil but am only finding info on its smoke point.

Any assistance would be massively appreciated. Thanks!

I'm sure it's fine

As a cream it should be great to use, heck as a consumables I bet it is also

Found this, hope it helps

Smoking Points of Cooking Fats & Oils

Fat/Oil

Smoke Point °F

Smoke Point °C

Avocado Oil

570°F

271°C

Butter

250-200°F