Roger Christie

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Free Roger Christie and the THC Ministry 13

roger1_300.jpg

Roger Christie, founder of the THC Ministry

Roger Christie, founder of the THC Ministry, and 13 church members were arrested by federal agents on July 8, 2010 and sent to Honolulu. All 13 people have been released on a personal recognizance bonds. Roger has been denied bail by the District Court and then again by an appeal to that ruling, despite a recommendation for a $50,000 bond by the federal Pre-Trial Services.

Roger is being represented by federal public defender Matthew Winter.

According to Roger’s friend and Ohio attorney, Don E. Wirtshafter, “Roger is a first time, non-violent drug offender. This is not about Roger being dangerous; this is a government tactic to shut Roger up. This week Roger’s public defender filed a proper motion for the federal judge to overrule the magistrate’s decision to deny bail.”

-----

Aloha, I am Roger Christie. I was born on June 15, 1949 in Steamboat Springs, Colorado into a wonderful family. I was raised and schooled in the New Jersey countryside in the 1950’s and 60’s. I graduated from high school in 1967, the famous ’summer of love’. I smoked my first joint of ‘Colombian Gold’ cannabis in August 1968 and I immediately knew we were going to be friends. After two years of college studies and flight training school in Miami, Florida I received my Associate Degree in Science with my Commercial Pilots license.

In 1970 I enlisted in the US Army and was trained as a G2 Intelligence Analyst at Fort Holabird, Maryland, a US Army ’spy school.’ After learning some deep truths about the military and political missions in Viet Nam and elsewhere I refused my orders to serve in the divisive war. I became radicalized as I questioned authority and established values.

Against nearly impossible odds, I applied for and eventually received my Honorable Discharge as a “conscientious objector.” Sincere and deeply-held beliefs would not let me participate in the killing of others just because I was ordered to, or for any other reason. I learned the life changing lesson at 21 years of age that I could face-up to and fight ‘city hall’… and win! A skill that I continue to use in my work to help turn the war on “marijuana” to harmony and peace.

I have been a grateful inhabitant of the Big Island of Hawaii since 1986. I am a cannabis hemp liberation-human rights advocate.

I was a co-founder of the Hawai’i Hemp Council in 1990 and am one of the original three partners (with Aaron Anderson and Dwight Kondo) of the Hawaiian Hemp Company. In 1991, we had one of the first retail hemp stores in the world.

My mission in life includes helping to liberate the cannabis hemp plant and to help replace cannabis, the tree of life, back into the garden of Eden. May we all enjoy the rich, abundant and awakened life that is part of our Divine inheritance.

The THC Ministry is based on ancient wisdom, modern science and the enlightening and healing properties of cannabis sacrament. “A sacrament is the visible form of an invisible grace,” according to St. Augustine. I invite you into a world of greater religious freedom, personal empowerment and optimum health TODAY!

I was ordained by the Reverend Dennis Shields into the Religion Of Jesus Church in early June of 2000. On June 19, 2000 I was licensed to marry people by the Department Of Health, State of Hawaii, specifically as a ‘Cannabis Sacrament‘ minister. Later that year, I was a co-recipient of the Drug Policy Forum of Hawaii’s Ho’omaluhia (Peacemaker) Award.

In my opinion some of the world’s greatest religions and healthiest cultures have been based on their respect for the value of the cannabis hemp plant as well as other entheogens. I believe that liberation of this holy herb will help to bring more harmony, healing and wealth to more people of this world-faster than any other single act.

Hidden deep in modern religions are references to a more peacful time when women and men lived in harmony with one another and nature. Ancient artifacts suggest that these societies honored women, and that the divine was often portrayed in female form. In recent years, these observations have formed the basis for reevaluating men’s and women’s roles in society, and how a balanced partnership may lead to societal harmony.

Cultural historian Riane Eisler has conducted a cross cultural and historical study that led to her internationally known cultural transformation theory first introduced to a general readership in her classic works “The Chalice and The Blade” and “Sacred Pleasure”. Eisler identifies a continuum of patterns for structuring relations from intimate to international. At one end of the continuum is the partnership model which embodies equity, environmental sustainability, multiculturalism, and gender fairness. At the opposite end of the continuum is the domination model, which has marred much of our civilization. This model emphasizes control, authoritarianism, violence, gender discrimination, and environmental destruction. Eisler shows that today we stand at a crossroads where a shift to the partnership end of the continuum is essential for human welfare and possibly survival.

What Eisler calls a partnership spiritually is integral to this shift. Those that are seeking spiritual guidance must be able to open their minds, and hearts to what is around them. Cannabis helps us reach deep into our spiritual awareness, and with that we can find the truth in all things.

Roger Christie

Did you know you could write to Roger? The envelope just needs a return name and address in the upper left corner. Please be aware that your letter will be read or scanned by the authorities, so be careful what you say!

Send you letter to:

Roger Christie
Federal Bureau of Prisons
Unit 6A
PO BOX 30080
Honolulu, HI 96820

The Cannabis Charity Education and Defense Fund is a non profit organization established to help people like Roger Christie and the Green 14. Please donate.

The Cannabis Charity Education and Defense Fund
P. O. Box 1323
Pahoa, HI 96778

Ph. 808-430-3924 cannabischarityfund@gmail.com

Mahalo and Thank You

Publish Date: December 12, 2010
Source: Hawaii Tribune-Herald (Hilo)
Author: John Burnett
Link: Hawaii Tribune-Herald :: Hilo, Hawaii > Local News

CHRISTIE IS AGAIN DENIED FREEDOM

The founder of The Hawaii Cannabis Ministry in Hilo has been denied bail, again, by a three-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco.

It is the fifth time that bail has been denied to 61-year-old Roger Christie, accused of operating a marijuana distribution ring. He's scheduled to face trial in U.S. District Court in Honolulu starting April 26 with 13 co-defendants, who collectively call themselves the "Green 14."

Christie and the others, all Big Island residents, were arrested July 8 in raids by federal agents, assisted by local police. All but Christie have been released on bail. Christie was denied bail by Federal Magistrate Judge Kevin Chang, who called him "a danger to the community," and remains incarcerated at the Federal Detention Center in Honolulu.

Christie's downtown ministry and Wainaku apartment were also raided March 10 by the feds, assisted by local police.

A three-count sealed indictment in June charged Christie with conspiracy to manufacture, distribute and possess with intent to distribute more than 100 marijuana plants, manufacturing marijuana and possession with the intent to distribute 240 marijuana plants.

According to court documents, authorities also confiscated approximately 845 grams of processed marijuana in the Wainaku apartment and more than $34,000 cash from the apartment and a bank safe deposit box. The money and the apartment face possible federal forfeiture.

The opinion written Tuesday by the appellate court states: "The district court correctly found that the government has met its burden of showing, by clear and convincing evidence, that 'no condition or combination of conditions will reasonably assure ... the safety of ... the community, ... and that appellant therefore poses a danger to the community.' ... We therefore affirm the district court's denial of appellant's motion to reopen and to release defendant on bond."

An evidentiary memo filed in October by Assistant U.S. Attorney Michael Kuwahara stated: "Of particular importance to Magistrate Chang's decision was Christie's conscious decision to recommence the ministry's marijuana trafficking activities after March 10, 2010. ... Christie has also contended that there is no danger to community because this was only a marijuana case and does not involve other arguably more serious drugs. That hardly is a ground that can be seriously considered. Christie herein is charged with marijuana manufacture and distribution offenses, which notwithstanding arguably contrary state law, still constitute felony violations of Federal law to which mandatory minimum imprisonment sentences apply.

"... In his supporting memorandum ..., Christie contended that a 61-year-old man as himself must still be served with Court orders imposing strict conditions upon him in advance (with pretrial supervision and the threat of revocation) to properly place him on notice of what is expected. To the contrary, we submit that someone requiring this extraordinary degree of 'spoon feeding' in order to do the right thing needs to be detained and not released."

Christie and his followers insist that their First Amendment rights to freedom of religion have been violated by the arrests and charges and that he is being held political prisoner.

A written statement by Christie to the Tribune-Herald read, in part: "Consider it pure joy whenever you face a trial testing your faith, because the testing of faith delivers perseverance."

In a companion statement, Christie's girlfriend, Share e. St. Cyr, who is also a co-defendant, called Kuwahara's argument "blatantly false."

"There is zero clear and convincing evidence," she wrote. "... In my opinion, the government has (borne) false witness and lied to the court and to the people of the U.S.A. by their words and intentions ...."

St. Cyr said there were "many great letters of support" in her efforts to get the court to set bail for Christie and called the closing of the THC Ministry "a dear family putting their house up ... for collateral."

E-mail John Burnett at jburnett@hawaiitribune-herald.com.

by John Burnett
Tribune-Herald Staff Writer
Published: Sunday, December 12, 2010 8:41 AM HST

Remember Marijuana POWs This Holiday Season
6:47 pm
By Matt Rifkin

As the holiday season gets into full swing, I am again reminded to count my blessings. One of the most precious blessings is my freedom. I can go where I want, eat what I want, watch what I want and so on. We all need to be aware of that freedom, because many of our peers have lost theirs. The “War on Drugs” has created victims, casualties and POWs, in ever increasing numbers.

One of those POWs is from our Big Island “ganja ohana”, Rev Roger Christie. He sits in the Federal Detention Center in Honolulu, held without bail for more than five months. This FDC is designed for short-term detention, and has no outdoor yard. Roger hasn’t seen the sun or felt the balmy trades in 164 days. His fifth motion for bail was denied by the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco recently, and his trial is not until April 26, 2011.

I spent part of my Sunday looking for interesting articles to mail Roger. He has limited access to information, or even the law library, and needless to say a lot of time on his hands. I try to mail him an envelope weekly, so that he has something to look forward to at “mail call.”

I’ve sent letters of support to two other heroes of the reform movement, Marc Emery and Rev Eddy Lepp.

Taking a few minutes out of our day to write a letter is easy, and so beneficial to those POWs. Share a photo, or a story about your life. Something, anything to help break up the monotony of the day.

There is a web site which has information about other people in jail for medical cannabis related crimes.

Medical Cannabis POW's

Below are the mailing addresses for Roger, Marc and Eddy. Please find some time to write them and share some aloha.

Thank you.

Matt Rifkin

Rev Roger Christie
99279-022
PO Box 30080
Honolulu, HI 96820

Marc Scott Emery
40252-086
D Ray James CI
PO Box 2000
Folkston, GA 31537

Charles Eddy Lepp
90157-011
FDC Lompoc
3705 West Farm Road
Lompoc, CA 93436

https://hawaiinewsdaily.com/2010/12/remember-marijuana-pows-this-holiday-season/

great LTE in the local paper on Saturday.....

Release Roger
Published: Saturday, December 25, 2010 8:06 AM HST
It's the holiday season, and my thoughts turn to Roger Christie, denied bail for a fifth time and incarcerated far from home and friends. I have met Mr. Christie only once, when he took part in a public reading of "Lysistrata," a play that promotes creative alternatives to war and champions peace. He seemed a kindly soul with high ideals.

So I ask those who have judged him a danger to the community to consider the message that this sends, when so many with established records for violent crime slide with ease through the halls of justice and back into communities where they continue their lawless ways.

I know how I would feel, were I or someone I cared for locked away and denied the constitutional right to a speedy trial. I also know that spending our tax money to shut away a nonviolent person for the better part of a year borders on fiscal insanity, given the many critical uses to which this money could be put.

If constitutional law, compassion and common sense don't suffice to get Roger Christie released on bail, how about sound economic practice?

Jennifer C. Wheat

Hilo

Hawaii Tribune-Herald :: Hilo, Hawaii > Opinion > Your Views

from the Honolulu Star Advertiser

Pakalolo pastor awaits trial, remains in federal custody

Question: Whatever happened to Roger Christie, the Hawaii island “cannabis minister” who was being held without bail and had trial scheduled for April 2011 on marijuana charges?

Answer: Christie, who is accused of using his Hawaii Cannabis Ministry in Hilo as a front to operate a drug trafficking enterprise, continues to be held at the Federal Detention Center near the Honolulu Airport, according to the Federal Bureau of Prisons online database.

Jury selection and trial are scheduled for Feb. 28 before Judge Leslie Kobayashi.

Christie will likely be additionally charged in January with counts of money laundering, said his attorney, Deputy Public Defender Alexander Silvert.

At that time, the trial will be rescheduled, probably between March and May, Silvert said.

Christie has maintained he is a minister who uses marijuana as part of church sacrament.

Hawaii County and federal law enforcement officers arrested Christie on July 8, 2010, along with 13 other Hawaii island residents on federal conspiracy and marijuana manufacturing, possession and distribution charges.

Others arrested include employees of the Hawaii Cannabis Ministry and people who allegedly supplied marijuana to the ministry.

A federal grand jury indicted them in June 2010.

U.S. Attorney Florence Nakakuni said a day after the arrests that Christie ran a large-scale marijuana business and the group was heavily involved in it.

“There is no law that protects his allegations of using marijuana religiously,” she said then.

A two-year investigation by federal and county law enforcement yielded 2,296 marijuana plants, nine weapons, 33 pounds of processed marijuana, more than $21,000 in cash and four properties.

Christie and Sherryanne L. St. Cyr allegedly manufactured, distributed and sold marijuana at the ministry, while ministry employees Lenore Friend and Timothy M. Mann assisted them, officials said.

Christie allegedly recruited Friend and Mann to start up a marijuana cultivation operation for the ministry.

Hawaii County police officers and agents from the Drug Enforcement Administration and Internal Revenue Service raided his home and ministry on March 10.

At Christie’s Hilo apartment, they seized about two pounds of processed marijuana and $21,494 in cash.

Plants were seized from other defendants’ homes, including a seizure of 1,108 plants from a Keaau home, 856 plants from an Ocean View home and smaller amounts from other homes.

Christie said he filed papers with the IRS declaring himself a minister of THC Ministry.

Christie said he uses marijuana while providing sacraments, and the ministry’s website says cultivation and enjoyment of cannabis is a fundamental human right provided by God and protected by the First Amendment.

Hawaii’s medical marijuana law permits a person with a physician’s certification to possess and use marijuana to treat a debilitating condition.

———
This update was written by Star-Advertiser reporter Leila Fujimori. Suggest a topic for “Whatever Happened To…” by writing Honolulu Star-Advertiser, 500 Ala Moana Blvd., Suite 7-210, Honolulu 96813; call 529-4747; or email cityeditors@staradvertiser.com.

Pakalolo pastor awaits trial, remains in federal custody Hawaii News, Honolulu, Honolulu News, Sports, Editorial, Features, Travel and Business - Honolulu Star-Advertiser - Hawaii Newspaper

from Honolulu Civil Beat

Off The Beat: Cop Accused of Dealing Meth Free, But Not Pot Minister
By The Civil Beat Staff 12/21/2011

An ordained Hilo minister who believes marijuana is a religious sacrament is about to spend his second Christmas in federal lockup awaiting trial.

Meanwhile, a federal judge on Monday released on bail a Honolulu police captain found with more than a half pound of methamphetamine and other drug-dealing paraphernalia in his home.

Where's the equity?

HPD Capt. Carlton Nishimura hardly comes with a clean resume. Even before federal agents arrested him for the drugs, he'd already been awaiting trial for corruption, tampering with a witness, and taking bribes for giving illegal game room operators tips before raids.

In Nishimura's case, U.S. District Court Judge Michael Seabright ordered his release despite requests from the prosecution that the police captain be locked up until his trial.

Roger Christie, the Hilo pot minister, has been in federal prison for 17 months. Found to be a "danger to the community," Christie has repeatedly been denied bail by Hawaii federal judges, whose rulings were upheld by the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals.

Both marijuana and methamphetamine are illegal, but methamphetamine is clearly the more destructive drug.

If this is what the federal government considers justice, it's a head scratcher.

Honolulu Civil Beat - Off The Beat: Cop Accused of Dealing Meth Free, But Not Pot Minister - Article

Back
Top Bottom