Walking the Last Free Mile with Eddy Lepp w/pics

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Today Eddy Lepp called me at about 10:30 a.m. and said they were getting ready to pass through Pismo Beach. I hopped into my car and caught up with them on the freeway and followed them to Lompoc.

There was a traffic jam on the way down and I figured that in Eddy's mind there was probably no big rush as he was on his way to serve a 10 year mandatory sentence in Federal Prison for growing Marijuana.

Eddy had a farm where he was growing over 25,000 plants when he was raided by the DEA in 2004.

The feds prosecuted Eddy in Federal Court and he was convicted of growing more than 1000 marijuana plants which has a 10-year mandatory minimum sentence.

Eddy tried claiming medical and religious protections but the arguments were not allowed in Federal Court.

It was a sad moment as Eddy his wife and followers realized he was only minutes from a long sentence in Federal Prison.

I was angered to think that Eddy was being taken from his family for marijuana. Eddy and his clan were a classic hippie family.

They were dressed in tie die outfits and many of them had tattoos of marijuana leaves. Some talked about some strong religious beliefs they had.

It was here I understood the importance of freedom of religion. Although I might not have had the same beliefs as Eddy and his followers, I thought how people have to 'tolerate' other peoples beliefs even if you don't understand what they are talking about.

So Eddy with swollen eyes from years of battling the Federal Government and a strong conviction that he had done the right thing hopped into the van for his final ride as a free man.

During that last mile, Eddy stated that he was not afraid of jail as his camera man and others listened in great admiration and sorrow.

They passed around one more cigarette of the sacred herb and Eddy drank a Dr. Pepper as his camera man recorded Eddy's testimony.

I fought back tears as other grown men cried outwardly.

I asked Eddy about his release on bail pending appeal and he said the judge didn't even read the motion and denied it.

As we drove up to the penitentiary I just couldn't stop thinking how wrong this is to put people away and to break up families for marijuana.

It just seemed so cruel to take Eddy from his wife, his friends, and from society.

They were not hurting anybody, they are just living the kind of life that makes them happy, the kind of life that millions of Americans live on a daily basis.

We walked Eddy into the building, and my internal outrage boiled quietly as the self-righteous Federal Agents did their jobs, as did the Nazi Prison Camp Guards, and took Eddy into custody and told everybody to leave.

As we turned and left the American POW camp I couldn't stop thinking what a cruel nation America can be to it's 'Marijuanan American' citizens.

I realized with great appreciation that I was a lucky man as I am out on bail pending appeal for a one year sentence for 'marijuana crimes'.

I was really lucky compared to what was happening to Eddy Lepp.

Two men, separate lives, separate life styles, separate beliefs, separate destinies but one common cause.

Eddy whispered to me as he held back his emotions 'keep the message alive'.

1247116667.jpg

Once we got to Lompoc we pulled over for a
photo opp under the signs pointing to the Prison.

1247116591.jpg

The last walk in freedom.

1247116568.jpg

Eddy's wife is comforted
by the Minister of his church.

Photos by Charles C. Lynch

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Salem-News.com
Author: Charles Lynch
Copyright: 2009 Salem-News.com
Website:Walking the Last Free Mile with Eddy Lepp - Salem-News.Com

I will miss you Brother Eddy.
I remember back when his trial was locked up in court so they decided to grow more sacrament. He asked for as much seeds as he could get so we made sure he got some seeds from us. Im sure Eddy has met millions of people by now, and wouldn't remember our meeting. But the Om Tao Brothers remember you bro. You are a true warrior my friend. It is in your strength we continue to fight this battle. WE WILL "KEEP THE MESSAGE GOING" Thanks for all you have done, stay strong, keep your mind sharp, and we will see you in 10 years!

I dont shed tears very often, but this truly made my cry :straightface:

Eddy Lepp is a true modern day patriot, much respect. In the past, I too have been a USA marijuana POW, but the time I served was less than 1/10 of the time Eddy Lepp will be serving (and I was still very young, only 18 at the time.) My heart any prayers go out to him, his family, his close friends, and followers.

We will keep up the fight, we will win.

"In any civilized society, it is every citizen's responsibility to obey just laws. But at the same time, it is every citizen's responsibility to disobey unjust laws."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

"Those who deny freedom to others, deserve it not for themselves; and, under a just God, can not long retain it."
-Abraham Lincoln

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-Benjamin Franklin

"Marijuana never kicks down your door in the middle of the night. Marijuana never locks up sick and dying people, does not suppress medical research, does not peek in bedroom windows. Even if one takes every reefer madness allegation of the prohibitionists at face value, marijuana prohibition has done far more harm to far more people than marijuana ever could."
-William F. Buckley, Jr

WE will miss you Eddy!!! You are a great man and i will never forget the day we met.... miss you .... THANK YOU for helping OUR struggle!!!

Can he get visitors? I live here, Lompoc, and would visit if it's allowed.

Back
Top Bottom