RIP Gregory Isaacs

Van Diesel

I've lived on a tropical island for more than 20 years, but I can say that this mans music touched me even before that when i was land locked near the rockies. Its unfortunate to say that he died of lung cancer. Its notable that pot wasn't all he smoked, not to detract from a good man.

a quote from his son, Kevin-
"R.I.P Dad, you're a great father to me and my Idol. That's all I can say for now, I'm hurt. My dad just died. Give thanks to all his supporters."

-While the combination of his legal troubles and the ravages of drugs on his subtle voice contributed to his unreliability, Isaacs nonetheless became an inspiration to a new generation of reggae stars through his combination of lover's rock and more politically charged tunes, such as "Black Liberation Struggle." mtv news

-After a string of self-released albums and singles on his own African Museum label, he finally hit pay dirt with 1973's "My Only Lover," widely considered the first lover's rock tune. Like so many of his hits, it showcased his sensual, smooth tenor and kicked off a decade-plus run of chart-toppers that peaked in 1982 with the seductive "Night Nurse," recorded at Marley's Tuff Gong studios. mtv news

Rest In Peace Brother

I remember the first time I heard Gregory Isaacs. It was in a record store in the New England area one weekend in college twenty plus years ago. His album was playing over the speakers and I couldn't get over that voice so I asked the dreaded out white dude behind the counter who it was.

From that point on, he became part of the soundtrack of my life. Certainly one of the greatest reggae artists who ever lived. One of the original creators of the reggae genre, lover's rock. And unbelievably prolific. He is acknowledged to have written and sung anywhere from 200-500 albums. Even today, just when I'm sure I've heard every one of his songs, another one will pop up out of nowhere. And it will be damn smooth like so many of his classics.

Like a lot of truly gifted people, his flame burned hot. And his life style eventually caught up with him. Dude smoked rock cocaine for years and it took a toll on his health and his voice. But a completely original human being. There will never be anyone like him again. And no one with that amazing voice. I'm happy that he left so many great songs.

So I'll leave you with this. A live cut of his classic tune, The Border filmed for the movie, Made In Jamaica just a few years ago. The voice isn't the same but you can still see the skills. Rest in peace, Gregory Isaacs.

YouTube - Gregory Isaacs sings Border in Made In Jamaica - DVD out March 8 2010

I remember the first time I heard Gregory Isaacs. It was in a record store in the New England area one weekend in college twenty plus years ago. His album was playing over the speakers and I couldn't get over that voice so I asked the dreaded out white dude behind the counter who it was.

From that point on, he became part of the soundtrack of my life. Certainly one of the greatest reggae artists who ever lived. One of the original creators of the reggae genre, lover's rock. And unbelievably prolific. He is acknowledged to have written and sung anywhere from 200-500 albums. Even today, just when I'm sure I've heard every one of his songs, another one will pop up out of nowhere. And it will be damn smooth like so many of his classics.

Like a lot of truly gifted people, his flame burned hot. And his life style eventually caught up with him. Dude smoked rock cocaine for years and it took a toll on his health and his voice. But a completely original human being. There will never be anyone like him again. And no one with that amazing voice. I'm happy that he left so many great songs.

So I'll leave you with this. A live cut of his classic tune, The Border filmed for the movie, Made In Jamaica just a few years ago. The voice isn't the same but you can still see the skills. Rest in peace, Gregory Isaacs.

Really well said brother. I dig that you chose to show him near the end of his career and life rather than the glory years. I like to be able to admire him (or anyone) for what they really were, the good the bad and the ugly. Its all very important in considering a good man, someone that was human, but had real effect on some of us. One day may we all be remembered the same.
Much Aloha

It's amazing how many fans he has all over the world Van. Imagine being able to affect that many people. Musical genius. Musical genius.

Back
Top Bottom