Afroman

Johnny

Afroman defends cannabis hit

Afroman: He says his single tells a cautionary tale

Chart-topping singer Afroman has explained why his current hit warns people off cannabis, after plans to re-classify the drug were announced this week.
Speaking on Radio 4's Today programme on Thursday, the singer - who is at number one in the UK singles chart with Because I Got High - said he "saw nothing wrong" with smoking the drug.

"I really don't see anything wrong with it. I wish there was a healthy, legal way to do it where you could eat it or something," he said.

"But I do not encourage anyone to try it. I say, 'If you do it, I understand why. It's a personal choice because this is your body. And if they don't want to do it, that's fine, I respect that'."

Afroman's comments come in the same week that Home Secretary David Blunkett announced moves to relax UK laws surrounding cannabis.

Mr Blunkett told a Commons committee on Tuesday he wanted to re-classify cannabis from a class 'B' to a class 'C' drug, putting it on a par with anabolic steroids.

However he also stressed that re-classification did not mean cannabis had been decriminalised.

'Risqué'

Mississippi hip hop star Afroman went to number one on Sunday with Because I Got High.

The 26-year-old singer was forced to edit the "risqué content" of the single to make it suitable for radio play.

But he has defended the song, saying the final verse points to the damage of continued cannabis use with lyrics including: "I messed up my entire life because I got high, I lost my kids and wife because I got high."

In the Today interview, Afroman reaffirmed his cautionary message about smoking the drug.

"I just tell the people who do it not to do it when you have a lot of important things to do. That should be your playtime, it's a luxury," he said.

When asked what message he wanted the young to take from his song, Afroman concluded: "Look at me, listen and laugh, enjoy my performance but think logically and do the right thing.

"Separate entertainment from wise decisions and choices that need to be made in life and don't be crazy."

When Afroman played a small show at a bar here in town, the first thing he did on stage was light up a FAT blunt. This thing was no joke. He burned one down in front of everybody, and we loved it!!! Great show also

Im going to an Afroman concert on 4/21, should be dope.:ganjamon:

Back
Top Bottom