How Has MM treatment benefited you, the user

sinbad

In simple words, not giving medical info, but basics, ie: Was injured at work, diagnoised with MS, tried perscription pain meds for XX months or years with how much success. What led you to MM, what were the benefits?
Through servvice in USA (Army) was medically discharged; (other how about not being able to spell?), using VA perscribed pain meds for little pain relief for over 18 yrs until 2010. After PT didn't work finally went to doctor and was perscribed MM. Working now again with far less pain & related problems feeling good about self, while taking less perscribed meds.
So what's your story-any other success storys?

I have polycythemia. This is a condition wherein your blood thickens thus clogging the veins and causing all these kinds of symptoms like stiff neck, migraine and bruises. It's like the opposite of leukemia. In leukemia, there is scarcity of red blood cells while with polycythemia, you have lots and lots of red blood cells. This is also the reason why just a playful slap or bump would cause the affected area to develop bruises. Anyway, I have taken meds for this kind of illness and was given a diet plan. My neurologist and hematologist adviced me not to take steroidal pain killers because it will only worsen my condition. So, I was prescribed with medical marijuana. I am still taking it and the migraines are now manageable and I can now sleep 8 hours straight without being bothered by muscle pains, joint pains and stuff. It feels great.

I too am a vet, medically retired from the AF. My story is long... I've had several failed operations and 12 years of useless PT. I'm one by one trying to reduce or replace meds with MJ and other herbs. It's a long process of trying one change at a time. The VA just doubled my narcotics went I went in asking for other forms of pain control besides meds, PT, and the useless psych classes. I use MJ to replace sleeping pills, anxiety pills, some anti-depressants, and cymbalta (given for burning pain). The MJ is the ONLY thing that relieves the burning in my legs. If not for this, I would have given it up in order to be treated at a pain clinic. The pain clinic said I have to give it up if I want to be treated there. Only eating heavy doses helps my pain. I'm struggling to grow enough for this since I cant afford a gram a day. The mental effects of MJ are worse than the narcotics and frustrating.

My symptoms are similar to MS. M helps relax my muscles and stop the burning and spasms. I wish it would fix more things, perhaps in time. The VA can't turn me away because of this, so they ignore it. I'm waiting for someone there to have the balls to ask me about it. I told my military doctors about it too, not the best idea as they now blame everything that happens on the MJ. Idiots.

Where are you located? What's your experience with the VA? How are you taking the MMJ and what has it replaced? I sure wish I could find a real doctor (not the ones who give out cards for $$) who can help me reduce or replace meds and become my primary doctor. My one docs have told me to give up and accept that i won't get better and to manage my pain, not cure or prevent it. BS and depressing to hear. They won't do the trigger point injections that worked so well when I was AD. Only pills pills pills, more useless PT and a shrink who give pain classes. I know more than he does. :-(

I wish we had a veterans forum! Now that the VA accepts MMJ as a medication and is not allowed to deny are or benefits, we need to find a way to tell other vets and have a safe place to talk.

Thank you for your service to our country fellow vet, as always. Number one, don't give up-the VA is there for you if you make them work for you. For starters, have you been to a service rep? If not get there fast and let them know you need the injections to ease your pain also. If they refuse, then I'd contact your Senator for some pressure (it works). Dude I can give you pointers on the VA but not in public forums; you know the gov and so do I.
You live in the great state of Cali-lucky dog! I live in Michigan, for all its econy problems, its a beatiuful state and now legal to treat yourself as well.
Like I said, don't give up. I've fought the same uphill battle with the VA since being med discharged in 91. Need a new hip, have a realy bad pain all the time, but hey lifes cool and I've got my family, dog and can work with my meds still.
Far as supply, have you asked a compassion group for samples, meds? Yeah, I know this may be frowned on, but lot of my group is VERY good natured and has helped me out numrous times (hint, hint). Just be up front, there are lot of folks wanting but only so many willing to grow ya know. Growing takes gimormous time and devotion only to have to cut (sniffle, sniffle) your babes down to enjoy them later-Damn right worth it.
Hang in there and light one for old times and think of the future-it will be better with MM :):thumb:

These stories so far are more proof of the miracle of MM, while not perfect, offering more hope than traditional meds with far less side effects. Guys, Gals my heart and soul goes out to everyone of you-wish you all the best, God Speed and God Bless!

I have Arnold Chiari Malformation Type I. Chronic occipital nerve pain as a result of two invasive brain surgeries. Got a box of pills from a number of doctors, none of them work. MJ works. The pain gets so bad I can't eat, can't sleep, can't get out of bed. MM takes care of all these problems. I've racked up thousands and thousands of dollars in medical bills as a result of frequent ER visits. Since I've started using MM the number of visits has greatly decreased. I couldn't type enough to describe how much it's helped

I'm having a bad day, so I'll keep this short (shirt for me, I write books) 'before crawling back in bed.

CK, I don't have what you do, but my experience is almost identical to your statement. My doctors, VA and military, tell me if the pain is too much to take, to go to the ER. The ER gives me a narcotic IV, or 2 or 3 because of my tolerance, then sends me home. No solution and I'm disgusted I have to go there for my medical care. I've been 5 times in 6 months. When I lived in the EU, I went 5 times in 7 years. CA and it's docs might just kill me off before I can leave.

Today at the VA doc, I begged and pleaded for anything but more meds to help me besides the double dose of narcotics the gave last time. I now have 3 VA docs, no it's 6 now, 6 who will not give me any care other than meds and refuse to do trigger points. One lady told me my bad childhood is the reason for all of my pain and problems, then added on to stop going to the chiropractor and acupuncture. She went on and on with even more bizarre ideas than those! Those of us in pain can tell when there is something new or different. My neck has been injured from falling yet these docs refuse to look at it. The one today said she won't look at my neck because she can't do anything about it. WTF??? When I asked about massage or MJ, she said if it helps, do it. On the other hand, those trigger points and chiropractor were done weekly and she said it's ridiculous to spent the time and money on these things when they only last a few days. I said I'd give up everything I have to be rid of this pain even for a few hours. We argued after that.

SinB, how secure are private messages here? I've already hit up the patient advocate and social worker. They don't get involved. If those harmless injections help make my life livable, I'd frickin go every day if I had to! This is no way to live!!

With all of this info, I wouldn't be hard to find. Too bad I can't expand on things here.
LMK if there are things I should delete. Why do we have to hide if we follow the law? This is messed up! :-(

Oh, I love the state of MI and those wonderful smelling pine trees and cool summer days. Would trade states, gladly. LOL

OK, my grouchy self is going back to bed and ice packs. gnight!

Hi Sinbad, I wanted to ask how to save this thread somewhere so I no longer have to search through hundreds of thread for it, when I remember it was here for me to follow up on I want to look into your compassion info, but need to have this handy to read over and over. (my memory is horrid!) I tried to subscribe to this thread, but the only option is to unsubscribe. ?! It doesn't show up when I try and look at subscribed threads. Neither does any of the other threads that I have posted in.

Is there a better way to go about this? I'm not so good with computers and don't want to forget this again! Out of sight, out of mind. (great to be old!)

TY so much, the still grouchy Lusi

Lusi-sorry spent some time clicking around but I don't see a way, there probaly is but some 11 year old will have to tell us? Sorry to hear of your troulbes with the VA as well brother. They told me my "problem" was fine, either they lied, didn't see the issue or just ignored it, until I took my health into my own hands. I'd advise anyone, vet or not to do the same.
Don't forget about calling our elected officals for assitance, they can shake out help at critcal times.
Keep your head up, thank you for your service and have a smoke on me!

I am an IBD pt with UC and just been Dx'd with RA. I am allergic to any Opiates.Even NSaids make me sick and vomit. I do take Zofran every 6 hrs to try and control the nausea and vomiting,along with my MMJ(Ortega at this time). I have always used MJ since I was young. About 7 years ago I realized I was using it more and more as a medication and that it helped me deal with the constant pain,make me eat,and help with the nausea. Kinda ironic that the "deadly weed" gives me relief in my older years and gave me fun in my younger years. Dudette

Dudette no pain is good pain, using MM helps with everything I've found. Its a travesty to know there's so much stigma against it. It only people knew of the healing properties, thanks to the pharma that will never happen.
I've said it before, here it goes again- smoke one on me! :)

TY,sinbad,thats mighty neighborly of you! And for the record,I am old too,and this site is hard to figure out.......................Dudette

I have severe ADD I was on ritalin for many years. Until I started smoking. All of the other drugs I have taken left me jittery and unable to sleep.Not to mention just plain dumb (probably from lack of sleep).Marajuana has changed my life. It might sound strange to some but it helps me focus.:geek:

Doesn't sound strange to me. I have always found that sativas seem to get me going pretty well,able to function normally. For some reason I like to do house cleaning when I smoke them. Maybe the fact that your brain is actually getting some good sleep is helping too. If it works,keep doing it! Dudette

Sorry so long to reply, have been feeling wretched. Here's my latest novel... I'm so dumbed down from medications I can't write effectively no matter how many words I use. :sorry: Skim away for anything useful in my spew of words!

No progress with the VA... Because the pain doctor (under investigation) has chosen not to give me trigger point injections that have helped for over 10 years, no other VA doc will do them. The now doubled daily narcotics are wiping me out and I now had to triple my Vigil (like riddilin) intake to counter the narcs. Just chasing my tail in circles at this point.

I'm glad to see how MMJ is helping you other folks get relief!! Do any of you mind sharing how much, which strains and in what form you take the MJ to get relief? Your stories convince me that I'm not using MJ effectively, wrong amount, strain... don't know.

I thought I was taking a lot of MJ, but could be very wrong! I can't smoke it, have never tried it recreationally when younger, and don''t know any one else in my area that uses MMJ. I'm still fishing for a collective to get samples from. Everyone in this area has to hide from the sheriff, legal or not. I hope there is something to replace my dispensary!

Dudette, has the ADD symptoms let up completely when you replaced the Rid. with MJ? I'm losing my short term memory and ability to communicate with others effectively. I feel like an absolute brainless idiot, and get treated like one. The vigil is to wake me up (narcolepsy) and help me concentrate, but does nothing for my mind. Please let me know if you have a strain that really helps. I often wonder if I could deal better with the pain if I got my mind back... I too was on Zofran and replaced it with MMJ. I can now eat and drink again. No more weeks in the hospital because I can't keep water down! :)

Sinbad, TY for searching for answers for me!! I think a 6 year old would be able to show me many tricks on the computer... makes me feel horribly old. LOL I found a senator to ask for help, and hopefully win her over about MMJ. She working to pass the "Saving Kids From Dangerous Drugs Act of 2010" (S. 258), despite the fact drugs are already illegal and there is no point in making candy flavored drugs more illegal. (absurd) She left me her # and email. heheh Civilian pain clinics in my area refuse to treat me unless I give up MMJ, which is legal here. Might as well put her contact info to good use. There's likely a better choice in congressmen to ask, but maybe a backwards approach could do some good. Can't make things worse. I'm so frustrated, I now tell everyone everything about MJ. How can the ignorant learn about it if they never meet a person who uses it? I was recently one of those blissfully unaware that MMJ was not a joke and it does help people. I have nothing to hide or lose.

My own 1st grow attempt is very sad and smells like oregano. (ick) Growing MJ might be fairly easy, but growing medical quality is not. I just bought a grow tent and now need to figure out lights. The investment of $$ is frightening, but it's learn to grow this or give up. Medical buds were at $35 to $65 a gram before the dispensary was shut down!! I've spent over $500 in a few months there for buds that don't give me relief, or may if I could afford more of them.

On a more pleasant note... While touring the redwoods, I met a fellow that has found a strain that has no mental effects, no high, but is more powerful than his narcotics. He says his patients that are just looking to get high return the MJ, but the ones in true pain love it. He is working on replacing 4mg Dilaudid, 4 times a day, still less then me, with this strain. This fellow has teamed up with another Vet who was a doc in Nam and will be traveling about helping people get more than just a legal MJ card, actually being a real doctor with real info. He also runs a lab and has researched for years about the various amounts of CBDs in strains and concludes that all of this means very little for pain relief. He has ordered some new equipment to test this strain to see what makes it work. I have his number and will let everyone know what this mystery stain is as soon as I know! Imagine to be able to control your pain, eliminate narcotics, AND feel normal again with no space outs or mental chaos... to drive again!! This would be the perfect day time pain relief. (I hope more than just pain) I will post here any info I get from him. It's a good thing to have a bit of hope...

TY for sharing all of your stories in this thread! I don't have much to offer yet as I'm still learning. If ya need to know about vaporizers or MJ taste free budder, that's about all I've done right. LOL

Warm wishes, Lusi

Hey Sinbad, the book writer again. I look back and realized I hijacked your thread. I feel like a heal with no internet etiquette! I type as I think, which with heavy narcotics is in loops and circles. I add even more when I edit, instead of less. :-D

It is such a relief to find people sharing ailments and not just talking about getting high, I got carried away. The fellow with the new strain for pain gives me hope for a life again!

TY for starting this thread... LMK and I can edit that monster down!

Hope ya had an awesome veterans day and a chance to get all that free food from various restaurants. LOL (bloomin' onion, yum)

Don't know if you have this website, this man has done some amazing work for Vets and MMJ! Welcome to the VMCA Website | VMCA

Lusi,you must mean someone else,I do not have ADD. I am using MMJ for treating my Rhuematoid Arthritis and trying to figure out a way to use it for UC. They already took out my whole colon and rectum,then proclaimed I was "cured" of UC. Too bad it's an immune system disease,once they took out the guts, I was sure things would calm down. But it seemed to aggravate my immune system even more,then came the RA Dx. BTW Lusi,I would like to thank you and all our other service people that have risked their lives for us and our country. I have 2 nephews in the Army,one just got back from Iraq. We are proud and grateful to all of you. Dudette

Lusi,you must mean someone else,I do not have ADD.
Oh, sorry! I am easily confused. These narcotics have made it impossible to think clearly or remember anything unless I can write every small thought down within a minute. This is almost as frustrating as the pain, and quite embarrassing.
I am using MMJ for treating my Rhuematoid Arthritis and trying to figure out a way to use it for UC.
What strain do you have for the RA pain? So far, I've found nothing to replace pain meds. :-(
They already took out my whole colon and rectum,then proclaimed I was "cured" of UC.
All of it????!!!!! I simply can't imagine what that would be like!!! So you have to use on of those waste bags to replace the intestines? How does your body absorb any nutrients? I am so terribly sorry and can't imagine what you are going through. Not sure what DX is. Do they blame the RA on the UC?

My doc lumps all of my problems into "fibromyalgia" and "Chronic fatigue Syndrome." Supposedly my failed knee operations and the trauma from 3 months in bed set all of this off. By doing so they don't bother to find out appropriate treatments for Bursitis, Arthritis, IBS, narcolepsy, chronic pain, thyroid (removed),PFS, bulging disks, scoliosis, TMJ, tendinitis, Hyper flexible joints, crooked hips and a spine that doesn't ever line up. It's BS to think knees caused all of these things.Docs won't even look at new problems or injuries, like my newly injured neck that I haven't been able to turn left at all or move without extreme pain. Being rejected from all pain clinics because I use MMJ is not doing me any good. the mil doc is an intern, not a doc. (eye roll)

If I go through all of this for medical problems that are not near as severe as yours, I dearly hate to see what you must be suffering. Do you have doc issues too while taking MMJ?

Too bad it's an immune system disease,once they took out the guts, I was sure things would calm down. But it seemed to aggravate my immune system even more,then came the RA Dx.
So the removal of your guts gave you RA and ruined your immune system? Is your life in danger if you get the flu or bronchitis? I certainly know what it's like to go in for an operation with the hope and promise that you'll recover afterwords, then instead your body falls apart as a result. Is there any promise of the MMJ to help your immune system or UC problems? I'd also like to hear what strain, how much, how often, and in what form you use the MMJ for the RA. I have no one to advise me on this and think I'm not using the MJ in the right form or amount for my bone, muscle, tendon, and nerve pains. No narcotic of med exists to treat all my types of pain, not even Dilauded.

I sincerely hope you find a way to recover a bit, or at least make your quality of life acceptable. That's what it all boils down to, Quality of Life. We can't be healed, so we must find a way to control our medical problems enough to still enjoy life or make it worth getting up each morning... not to just give up for good.

I'm glad to hear your nephew made it home from Iraq. My husband was just in Qatar and I'm glad to have him back, but ma a bit jealous he got to experience that in his career while I was stuck at home. i never got that far in my AF career. :-( TY for sharing your story!!!!

Heck, I wrote another book! Sorry!

Lusi

Back
Top Bottom