Edibles and Gabapentin for neuropathic pain

Chuwey

Hi, I'm new here. I take 2400mg Gabapentin (divided into three doses) each day for neuropathic pain. It works very well and has for years.

I've recently taken edibles (very much prefer not to smoke), and the experiences have been beautiful and have also helped with the pain.

The problem is that I'm cognitively "off" for at least a day or two after an edible. It's a sort of dumbed-down, no-get-up-and-go feeling. It's similar to what happens if I increase my Gabapentin dose any higher than 2400mg.

Has anyone dealt with this? Do you decrease your gabapentin dose in days afterwards? Or completely switch over? Edible dosage information also very much appreciated.

Thanks much.

Welcome:hug:Chuwey

I can't smoke or use gabapentin. I'm sensitive to smoke. Gaba gives me severe eye rolling issues.

Your edibles likely have a high CBD and myrcene content. It's difficult to help with dosing info because edibles don't carry a consistent CBD/THC profile. It's all about what strains were used, how the plant was harvested, how the plant was extracted and how the edible was cooked. All these factors affect the potency of edibles as well as your own individual tolerance level. If edibles are getting in the way of daily functioning, take edibles before bedtime or consider tacking with a balanced THC/CBD oil extract. Tacking helps eliminate much of the loopy feeling. 420 member Motoco has an excellent tacking tutorial:
How To Make Concentrated Cannabis Oil

:goodluck:

Thank you Cannabelle. The edible I'm using is marked by THC mg, but you're right, it doesn't say how much CBD is in it. I took it at night and stopped when I was getting the dulled-out effect. I'm going to try again but will cut out GABA the day after. I'll see how that goes. I'll keep tacking in mind as an option.

I am taking high does of Gaba too, 1200 3 times a day. I spoke to the pain management folks and looked up the effects of stopping Gabapentin without drawing down slowly from it. It can cause severe seizures like the epileptics have and once they begin they can and have stayed with the patient even after going back to the med. Be very careful of flat quitting it at your dose as it might trigger something. If you find a med here that can take it's place slowly draw down your doses and that will eliminate any disastrous side effects from removing it from your system
Once I find my correct blend of what I need here I am going to back down my Gaba over a 2 month period to be safe from any after effects.
Be well and I hope you find your blend of meds that will let you function clearly and have no pain while doing it.

Thanks DesertSmoke. Unfortunately, so far I've not been able to switch over, rapidly or slowly, to medical marijuana. I can't complain too much--the gabapentin does work well. But my experiences on medical marijuana were really fantastic, so I'll miss it. I've read that the cognitive decline (for those who experience it) has to do with interference with acetylcholine. I'm not sure how to counteract that, but if others have done so successfully I'm all ears.

Hi, I'm new here. I take 2400mg Gabapentin (divided into three doses) each day for neuropathic pain. It works very well and has for years.

I've recently taken edibles (very much prefer not to smoke), and the experiences have been beautiful and have also helped with the pain.

The problem is that I'm cognitively "off" for at least a day or two after an edible. It's a sort of dumbed-down, no-get-up-and-go feeling. It's similar to what happens if I increase my Gabapentin dose any higher than 2400mg.

Has anyone dealt with this? Do you decrease your gabapentin dose in days afterwards? Or completely switch over? Edible dosage information also very much appreciated.

Thanks much.
watch out, I just got "Cannabis Hyperemesis Syndrome" and had to go to ER. now can't take if ffor months. Took too much for many years. this was just brownies for sleep at night only.

Back
Top Bottom