Coco mania

fatty

I have dicided that there is not enough for coco growers here so thought a thread with hints tips or just pics for us to look at come on folks show off your coco skills.
In my opinion coco is the best medium and lots of people dont realize it is hydro and should be treated as such .
So I will start with my 2 cents .
1.never use plain water unless your flushing for harvest even if your flushing salt build up flush with your desired ph and ec until the runoff is the same as what your putting in .
2.ph 5.8 if you go even a bit over 6 you will get a calcium def a few weeks into flowering .
3.never let the coco dry water atleast once a day with 10 to 20 % runoff or you will get salt build up.
IMAG2213.jpg
IMAG2294.jpg
IMAG16452.jpg
IMAG24051.jpg
IMAG16053.jpg
IMAG2323.jpg
IMAG11874.jpg
IMAG15372.jpg
IMAG24801.jpg
IMAG15732.jpg
:thumb:

I would also like to add it is possible to grow in coco without an ec pen but a bit of experience is needed to read the plants.this is done by starting with weak nutes then building up to full recommend dose but as soon as you see yellowing leaf tips you back off on the nutes a bit and you will need to do a weekly flush to stop nute build up . aslong as the ph is good you are ok

Using coco in a recirculating system like a wilma .
During the veg cycle your ph is going to rise as the plants use the nutes this is a good thing that can be used to your advantage if you set the ph to 5.6 and let it rise to 5.9 some nutes are absorbed better at a different ph so letting it drift within the limits (5.5 to 6) gives the plant chance to take the nutes when there most readily available but when you swith to flower you will find the ph will drop I find this starts about 3 weeks in its called the acid rain effect I'm not quite sure why yet as I'm still researching it but I'm presuming it's got something to do with plant hormones .at some poi ts you will find that the ec and ph will stabilize mine just has at ec 1.5 ph 5.7/8 when this happens leave it and top up your res with them numbers until the plant don't like it anymore .now for ec that's the simple bit if it's rising in the res your food is too strong this will also cause ph to drop .if it's lowering the girls are eating but if it drops more than a couple of points then I would up your feed a little .
So ph dropping ec rising =nutes to strong
Ph rising ec dropping =plant feeding but if ex dropping to fast up your feed .
Ph and ec staying the same= sweet spot water and food being taken up at an equal rate .
Ph rising and ec rising =this I have only seen because of badly washed medium for example it happened to me when I didn't wash my perlite .
Ph dropping and ec dropping =again problem with the medium and a good chance of root rot.

Come on folks get involved coco is the future

Well not much intrest so to show the capability of coco I will attempt to grow 40 oz monster I'm going to use a cutting that I have startedessing around with she has just had her second round of topping she's got a 90 degree bend at the base and I have started working her round the pot it's going to take a while and when I start flower I will do a journal I will pot up soon and then one more to probably a 50 litre bucket if anyone wants to know about nutes and stuff just ask but I'm only doing this because I want to grow the biggest plant I've ever seen indoors .
IMAG27531.jpg
IMAG27431.jpg
IMAG27541.jpg
IMAG27511.jpg

Wish me luck people and happy growing

I'd like to follow along as well Fatty. Very interested in learning more about growing in coco.

Your both very welcome guys I hope I can show you something I'm hoping I learn aswell I've never attempted a plant this big before and I just want to show how easy it's to use coco I honestly think it's easyer than soil it's got yields you can compare to nft and not far behind dwc without all the hassle of constant monitoring of res temps air pumps and so on anyway hopefully were get some more coco guys join in so it's not all me .
Cheers for the interest fellas

I'm just about to start my second grow. This time I'm gonna use Coco. Planning on using Canna with the Canna Nutrients A+B. Was just wondering if I need any extra boosters as I used Big Bud(I think that's the name) from AdvancedNutrients last time in soil. Am I right in thinking you shouldn't mix chem nutrients with organic? If so can anyone recommend the best booster to grow killer crops with the Canna range.
Cheers

Alright buddy and welcome to 420.
Big bud from advanced nutes is iny eyes their best product it's great in coco I use it myself. don't think it is organic though could be wrong
And the canna range is very good .
Have you got ph and ec pens also how you growing hand water or do you have a system.
Anyway stick around and ask anything you like I will help all I can and all I ask for in return is pictures

Alright buddy and welcome to 420.
Big bud from advanced nutes is iny eyes their best product it's great in coco I use it myself. don't think it is organic though could be wrong
And the canna range is very good .
Have you got ph and ec pens also how you growing hand water or do you have a system.
Anyway stick around and ask anything you like I will help all I can and all I ask for in return is pictures

Thanks I'll use it again then. I got a cheap digital ph pen but have seen a decent oh/ec reader for about £70 so gonna try that. Will be hand watering. Was thinking of getting a britter filter as well to purify water if they're any good? If I'm using Canna nutes I shouldn't need to adjust pH though going by the guide on their website?
Also just for info I'm growing Dinafem OG and not sure the other strain yet as mate is choosing. Will only be 2 plants and have 400w dual spec HPS bulb(Philips I think)

That's all good dude 2 plants under a 400 you will have a nice couple of little Bush's also dinafem very good choice I've grown lots of there stuff and never been disappointed but I havnt done there og yet but I have grown a few different og strains and it's my favorite
But you will need to adjust ph so make sure you have everything before you start makes life easyer you will only need to use half or less of what they recommend start low and work your way up its very strain dependant on how strong it gets

Hi Fatty.
I'm a newbie to the site and the whole "growing" scene. I'm just building my grow room at present (2.8m long x 1.8m wide x 1.8m high) My plan is to grow 18 ladies (strain to be decided) from first gen cuttings bought from a mate. I'm leaning towards coco so I'm REALLY interested in your thread (I'm going to sub):smokin: I've got 3 x 600w HPS lights, a single 8" extract fan and 3 oscilating fans. I've lined the room with reflective and I'll be starting the girls in small half litre pots. After 2-3 weeks I'll transplant into 5 gallon buckets. Does all this sound ok? Nutes will be Canna A+B by the way.
Cheers Dude

Using coco in a recirculating system like a wilma .
During the veg cycle your ph is going to rise as the plants use the nutes this is a good thing that can be used to your advantage if you set the ph to 5.6 and let it rise to 5.9 some nutes are absorbed better at a different ph so letting it drift within the limits (5.5 to 6) gives the plant chance to take the nutes when there most readily available but when you swith to flower you will find the ph will drop I find this starts about 3 weeks in its called the acid rain effect I'm not quite sure why yet as I'm still researching it but I'm presuming it's got something to do with plant hormones .at some poi ts you will find that the ec and ph will stabilize mine just has at ec 1.5 ph 5.7/8 when this happens leave it and top up your res with them numbers until the plant don't like it anymore .now for ec that's the simple bit if it's rising in the res your food is too strong this will also cause ph to drop .if it's lowering the girls are eating but if it drops more than a couple of points then I would up your feed a little .
So ph dropping ec rising =nutes to strong
Ph rising ec dropping =plant feeding but if ex dropping to fast up your feed .
Ph and ec staying the same= sweet spot water and food being taken up at an equal rate .
Ph rising and ec rising =this I have only seen because of badly washed medium for example it happened to me when I didn't wash my perlite .
Ph dropping and ec dropping =again problem with the medium and a good chance of root rot.

Come on folks get involved coco is the future

I use coco in Wilma's and use recirculation, First advice to any one is don't forget to put NFT spreader matt in the bottom of the pots. this will stop coco getting into the res.. next bit of info is just from what iv learnt using the canna coco and canna coco nutrients. I have no real fluctuations in the res - ever and im feeding with 2L per day im running 2.0ec @ 5.8ph every time I check the res this figures don't change. Iv put this down to the canna range as a mate of mine uses Canadian express and had to stop the recirculation as it sent his read out mental. My grows in the sig if anyone's interested

Hi Fatty.
I'm a newbie to the site and the whole "growing" scene. I'm just building my grow room at present (2.8m long x 1.8m wide x 1.8m high) My plan is to grow 18 ladies (strain to be decided) from first gen cuttings bought from a mate. I'm leaning towards coco so I'm REALLY interested in your thread (I'm going to sub):smokin: I've got 3 x 600w HPS lights, a single 8" extract fan and 3 oscilating fans. I've lined the room with reflective and I'll be starting the girls in small half litre pots. After 2-3 weeks I'll transplant into 5 gallon buckets. Does all this sound ok? Nutes will be Canna A+B by the way.
Cheers Dude
Welcome dude stick around that all sounds good to apart from your fan might not be big enough with 3 600 hps I use a 10 inch with 2 but my room is a bit smaller my advice do a test run and if not give me a shout and we will look into it

I use coco in Wilma's and use recirculation, First advice to any one is don't forget to put NFT spreader matt in the bottom of the pots. this will stop coco getting into the res.. next bit of info is just from what iv learnt using the canna coco and canna coco nutrients. I have no real fluctuations in the res - ever and im feeding with 2L per day im running 2.0ec @ 5.8ph every time I check the res this figures don't change. Iv put this down to the canna range as a mate of mine uses Canadian express and had to stop the recirculation as it sent his read out mental. My grows in the sig if anyone's interested

Superb tip about the mat welcome to the thread fellajust out of ccuriosity have you tried lower ec'dive used canna lots and never go e as high as 2 but if it's stable it's good and your plants look fantastic+reps

Hey Zoot.
I'm plannng filling a res in my room and manually watering. Should I water over the leaves? Or is it better to fill the drip trays and let em "suck it up" ?
Cheers

Back
Top Bottom