First time hydro using coco medium - Million questions

Mikeytv

Ok, so I had been watching videos on a small container hydro setup and decided to give it a try. I had been early flowering In a coco/ perlite mix in solo cups but was noticing some yellow/ whitening of the lower leaves.
Figured it was nutrient issues with the coco so thought instead of going back to soil or actually figuring out what to do, I want hydro to see if it works.
So here is the first and second question.
1. In the net pot, the roots are pretty significant. Do I put coco in first then basically replant like it were a regular pot or do I help the roots find water and the bottom of the net pot and basically fill around and on top to support it?
2. I read pot should be about a quarter into the water. Other places I read just above the water... which is correct? And if coco is on bottom of net pot, wouldn't it dissolve into the water?

Another question. Do I need calmag or can I use blackstrap molasses? I have been using the molasses for several feeding of my flowering but I also read you can use it anytime (without over doing it)
Please advise.

And how often do I add nutrients? I guess when the plant tells me they need it but not sure how to address it. For example, the paling of the lower leaves has increased since I put them in hydro. I know transition can be stressful but this looks like nutrient issue.
Please advise but know they were just put into netpots hours before they increased In more paling leaves. Not good!
Here is a pic,
420-magazine-mobile1887113950.jpg

Any thoughts/ guidance very appreciated! Hold my hand and lead me.

Sent from mikeytv

First of all in veg I change nutes once a week, flowering twice. Calmag is a must to have but I only use it during veg or if my girls tell me they need it. DON'T USE molasses in hydro use earth juice hi-brix it can be bought online or in any hydro shop, make sure you have a pH meter and TDS meter for hydro you need pH at 5.5 to 6.5 and TDS will tell you your ppm or EC. Make sure you go light on nutes in the beginning and raise them during grow I start at 1/4 of bottle recommend. Also your water should be a lil lower then net pot not much but your roots should be in it as well as your air stone should push enough bubbles to splash bottom, if they need water in between feedings I top off with pH water. Any more questions let me know and also check out site called grow weed easy. It will answer any questions you throw at it

Sent from my Robin using 420

Is your water pH and also are you using nutes and how much if yes and also how much water and temp of water I try to stay under 70

First time hydro using coco medium- million questions.

Water was high ph- about 7.5 I'm at right around 6 now. I think I had in my head soil ph levels not hydro.
I'm doing a 10 gallon tub with I believe 7 gallons of distilled water. 2 10 inch air stones with just 5 3" net pots. I figured that would suffice for veg stage and if it worked I could move to dedicated large tubs for two plants during flower.
Not sure temp of water, had not checked but house is controlled at about 75 during day and 70 at night. With lights above it and being in a controlled space, I am thinking temp should be in range unless it's required to be warmer or cooler than the above water environment.
I had lime I wanted to use but it's granular. I believe it can be crunched or ground but if that doesn't make sense I can order calmag online. I had read that molasses was a good additive but I'm now guess that's a no.
As I am only in my second grow, I didn't actually use much for veg. A Sea kelp stuff and I have a bloom nute but didn't think that was a good idea for veg stage. Especially them being so small.
Oh I have a bottle of nutes for new plants but wasn't sure if that was ok for hydro. Until this attempt I never really thought it would be easy enough to try hydro. Jumping in head first.

Sent from mikeytv

Btw, the back left and middle are from seed while the other three are cuttings. Notice front right is one of those confused plants. Single long leafs, very wirey but seems to be showing signs of life if I can keep itvand all from being taken over by the pales leaves.

Sent from mikeytv

Update- so plants are not happy in the new hydro system- will have calmag tomorrow and hydro nutes by Thursday. Hoping this helps. Seems ph keep climbing up to 7. I bring it down but it seems twice a day I'm trying to keep it under control. I have to go out of town for a few days- maybe 4 so wondering how to manage this issue during my absence. Hoping the calmag will help but really not sure what is going on.
420-magazine-mobile1533933804.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1117460192.jpg
420-magazine-mobile647976496.jpg
420-magazine-mobile156358765.jpg

This last one is a clone that turned single leaf but was really making a go in soil but as I wanted to try hydro- not so much. She was into flower when I cut her- I know that can lead to issues but she has been doing good until hydro- and I noticed the cuttings from flower mostly go back to veg with time. Not ideal by any means but I failed to take some cuttings prior too so I thought I would try. I have a couple others still in soil doing better. The coco has been challenging for me but hoping calmag will help.
420-magazine-mobile130284589.jpg

I have the flower room with 400 hps. As you can see in using a combo of cfl, led, and grow fluorescents. Usually works well in this phase until they get some size. And hoping to finish off the ladies before bringing in the babies under mh.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Sent from mikeytv

I seem to get it to 6 but it creeps up back to 7 throughout the day.
Temp is mid 75-80 well circulated, humidity i will need to check and waiting on my meter to test ppm as well as my calmag- tomorrow and nuts wed or thurs.
I'm worried in what to give them in the interim and yes!!! I jumped a little to quick to hydro without fully preparing (calmag and nutes and Ppm tester). At this point I'm just wanting to see if I can get them to keep on keeping on. I can learn from this one as I really like the hydro concept.

Sent from mikeytv

OK first when you start nutes only 1/4 strength of recommendation. And calmag, armor si, and mammoth p are a must for quality hydro. Use general hydroponics if you can. And follow the charts but only go up to 1/2 strength or you waste money

Check your pH at least once every day so you do not get a nutrition lockout try to keep your pH at 5.5 to 6.5

Thank you for all your help ken. I do love all of this and learning so much. I wrote down the items you listed and I will make I sure I have moving forward. I will keep checking my ph and control accordingly. Just wondering why it keeps going back up.

Sent from mikeytv

I'm not sure what your system is exactly -looks sort of like DWC with coco? Or is it DTW? :hmmmm:
Molasses is a very bad idea in a reservoir. Ph will be your main problem though at the moment as 7 is way too high. Do you have a bubbler in your reservoir? (Assuming you have one)

In TWC from the plant eating and from the heat from the light and from the oxygen from the air pump all that mixed together will make your pH go up and everyday you have to check it and adjusted accordingly

Definitely don't use molasses if you want to use a sugar additive then get something called earthh juice hi brix

Weasel- it's a container with two 10 inch air stones running 24/7. 3 inch net pots, Medium is coco. No molasses-seems I'm the last to know. Lol
Yes, water keeps creeping up to 7 within a 12 hour period.

Ken- you are a rockstar- this must be second nature to you but you make so much sense- I didn't think about the outside factors- I was thinking maybe the coco or something but didn't take into account for the light above and heat generated and all that.. thank you! And yes! No molasses ever!!! Thank you!

Sent from mikeytv

Molasses will clog up your system worse than anything in the world so definitely no molasses that's only for soil

So the all important question here- am I crazy thinking I can go out of town for maybe 4 days and think these plants will be ok?
Assuming I can get cal mag into the water and manage ph before I leave? If not, what are viable options. Technically I could repot then until I get back but it seems that might cause more or same stress as leaving them for 4 days.
Hate to lose them if I don't need to.

Sent from mikeytv

Get a huge res that is back up and fill it up and pH your water. So you can continue to have good water but it will still rise, so it's gonna be tough.

Not sure if I can set that up in the short amount of time I have. Let me ask you- if given only two options- hope and a pray but do everything as right as I can before I leave- or put them in coco out of water (in containers) until I get back.
Both are not ideal but if only two options, what would you suggest?

Sent from mikeytv

Back
Top Bottom