How to grow in Coco: Feed schedule

Hey everyone.

Ive been growing for a long time now and mostly coco. Ive grown literally thousands and thousands of plants so here i will dedicaye a thread to growing in coco.

Please ask questions, i will always answer. No question is stupid, if you dont know then you dont know.

I will start by adding this feeding schedule. There are variations and more ways to do it but this will 100% give quality results.

Here is the Coco schedule. Remember its a guide, no substitute for knowing plants needs.

Ive had a lot of questions on nutrients recently so im going to list a full nute schedule that i use for Coco and Hydro growing. Im not going to list a soil feed schedule because there are variables that could affect what nutrients are used. Also 99% of my growing is hydroponic and I include coco in that so I will advise on what I do to get top results.

Before I make the list be aware that nutrients are way less important than light source and environment. I know alot of people grow on a tight budget but dont skip on a good light source. The video I posted yesterday explains about minimum requirements for growing and why. You want minimum 400w actual draw for a 4x4 square foot area (1x1m), yes you can grow with less but i'm not interested in growing weed with a torch or a 200w draw LED that claims to be a 600w equivalent. If you are growing even one plant make it the best it can be, its a long process to grow. Dont settle for an oz or 2 every 3 months as its wasted time and money when you can x6 that minimum just by using the correct source. A 400w hps would be the minimum requirement for me and my feed schedule represents a grow using adequate light. It stands to reason that a plant with less light will need less nutrient, just like a standard car will need less fuel than a Bugatti Veron.

So with all that said here are the schedules. You can omit anything you like additive wise but base nutrient is the most important. These are recipes that work for me and will vary depending on the quality of the water but anyone using water that is no higher than 0.7ec (350ppm) or using RO water should work. Of course try to never use tap water higher than 0.4ec (200ppm) if it can be helped.

The schedules will be based on 9 week strains, if running 8 week strains just finish nutes a week earlier. I never grow strains longer than 9 weeks now but a 10 week strain you would add 1 more week of the final boost. Strains over that will be different mix and I wont touch on that today.

I have got to these recipes over 15 years or so growing. Im not saying this is the only way but you will not fail if you follow these recipes and have adequate light source and environment.

My schedules will go off using RO water so a starting water of 0 EC (0 PPM) This will make it easier, you can omit calmag if water is of good quality and 0.3ec+ usually but its worth having incase it needs to be dded. If using water of 0.3 ec (150ppm) for example you would add that value to the value of feed i suggest. So if I suggest 1.0 ec of nutes you would add 0.3ec on to that making 1.3ec. Also the values will add up so for example if its 0.3 calmag and i add base nutrient then add it on to the 0.3ec. so if i say base up to 1.0ec that includes the 0.3 of calmag, in other words 0.7ec of base nutrient.

Finally a good EC/PPM meter is really important as is a good PH Pen, they will help you know exactly what is going into the nutrient mix and will be a valuable tool for diagnosing any possible problems. Never go off what the bottle recommends especially for anything that effects EC/PPMs.

RECIPE FOR COCO COIR.....

SEEDLINGS....

Jiffy pellets/root riot cubes/rockwool

Calmag (optional, use if water is RO) 0.1ec (50ppm)
SuperVit 1 drop/4litres water
H+G Roots Excellurator Gold 0.3ml/litre
Great White mycorrhizae 1 scoop/4 litres
PH 5.5-5.8

Soak the cubes or pellets in the solution and wring out so damp and not wet, add the seedling. this mix will get the rooting started quickly and produce strong hairy roots. I transplant into a 1-3 litre pot as soon as the tap root comes out the bottom of the cube.

FIRST TRANSPLANT

Great White mycorrhizae sprinkled in the hole where cube will be placed or onto the cube itself.
CalMag 0.3ec (150ppm)
Advanced Nutrients PH Perfect Micro Grow Bloom 1.0ec (500ppm) This is approximately 2ml/litre.
Roots Excellurator 0.3ml/litre
SuperVit 1drop/4liitres
Advanced Nutrients VooDoo Juice 2ml/litre (once per week)

PH 5.8

SECOND TRANSPLANT.....

Great White Mycorrhizae sprinkled in hole for transplant or direct onto rootzone
CalMag 0.3ec (150ppm)
Advanced Nutrient PH Perfect Micro Grow Bloom 1.2-1.4ec (600-700ppm)
SuperVit 1drop/4litres
Advanced Nutrients Voodoo juice 2ml/litre (once per week)

FLOWER PERIOD (START OF 12/12)

WEEK 1

Calmag 0.3ec (150ppm)
Ionic Coco Bloom 1.4ec (700ppm)
Buddhas Tree Flower Burst 0.25ml/litre
Advanced Nutrients Voodoo juice 2ml/litre
Great White mycorrhizae 1scoop/10 litres
Advanced Nutrients sensizym 2ml/litre or Cannazym 2.5ml/litre

PH5.8-6.0

WEEK 2

Calmag 0.3ec (150ppm)
Ionic Coco Bloom 1.4ec (700ppm)
Advanced Nutrients Voodoo juice 2ml/litre
Great White mycorrhizae 1scoop/10 litres
Advanced Nutrients Sensizym 2ml/litre or Cannazym 2.5ml/litre

PH 5.8-6.0

WEEK 3

CalMag 0.3ec (150ppm)
Ionic Coco Bloom 1.5-1.6ec (750-800ppm)
Sensizym 2ml/litre or Cannazym 2.5ml/litre

PH 5.8-6.0

WEEK 4 and WEEK 5

CalMag 0.3ec (150ppm)
Ionic Coco Bloom 1.6ec (800ppm)
Buddhas Tree PK 0.25ml/litre
Buddhas Tree Advanced Metaboost 1ml/litre
Sensizym 2ml/litre or Cannazym 2.5ml/litre

PH 5.8-6.0

WEEK 6

CalMag 0.3ml/litre (150ppm)
Buddhas Tree Pk 0.5ml/litre
Buddhas Tree Advanced Metaboost 1-2ml/litre
Great White mycorrhizae 1 scoop/10litres

PH5.8-6.0

WEEK 7

CalMag 0.3ec (150ppm)
Plagron Green Sensation 1.8ec (900ppm) (can use Buddhas tree PK and metaboost as in week 6)

PH5.8-6.0

WEEK 8

CalMag 0.3ec (150ppm)
Ionic Coco Bloom 1.8ec (900ppm)
Plagron Green Sensation 2.0ec (1000ppm) (can use Buddhas tree PK and metaboost as in week 6)

PH 5.8-6.0

WEEK 9

First water to 50% run off.
Allow to dry until pots light to lift.
Water only daily. Enough so that its ready for more 24 hours later. DO NOT KEEP DRENCHED. Biggest chance of bud rot is now.
Flushing will clean excess salts and increase both yield and quality as it forces plants to finish.
Only water until harvest, minimum 7 days water.

Hydro is exactly the same as above with 3 changes.

1st replace Ionic Coco Bloom with Ionic Hydro Bloom

2nd Base nutrient EC/PPM at each feed can be pushed an extra 0.2ec/100ppm if required

3rd PH should be between 5.5-6.0 throughout.

In Recirculating Hydro PH swings are normal, allow some fluctuation as its better for plants to have a good range to uptake nutes. Set it at the lower end and allow it to increase. If it goes over 6.0 readjust to 5.8.

The recipe above is just one recipe that works well. Once you understand the plants needs at each period of growth you can adjust the feeds as going week by week isnt the most accurate way to do it but 100% this baseline recipe will give great results.

Finally in Coco and Hydro plants must be fed daily at least once per day. Do not keep media saturated ever. For Coco give enough liquid so plants are ready to be fed again 24 hours later when hand feeding. So plants should be light to lift but not completely dried out to the point of leaves wilting. Never allow it to dry out completely as the salts in the Media will burn the roots.

I hope this helps and if anyone wants alternatives to any products just ask.

Peace.

I'm growing in coco and was just wondering you said " coco plants must be fed everyday " does this mean nutrients everyday or just water ?? And my second question sounds abit stupid but can you use organic nutrients in coco ?

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I'm knew to all this and thought I'd use coco as I heard good things about it, what are the do's and dont's about it ? Your help would be great and you seem to know your stuff. Thank you

Yes you are going to want to water with feed every time until your flush.

Ledrf has a thread.
Coco hydro organic - Easy & cheap - Water daily

I plan on trying this next grow. A great source for new coco growers is also growpotcheaply. Look it up.

Hey cult. Do you ever get problems for phing the ph perfect? I've seen people ph it, Only once have I seen someone have a problem from phing. The reps at AN say it's chelated and able to be used between 4.0-8.0 but they also say 4ml a liter is recommended hahaha. I didn't ph last grow and ended with a pound though. I had a little lockout from not enough runoff

First you must use nutrients everyday and you can use organics. Make surs your ph is in the correct range. All of my journals have coco grows as well as other so look through them and get some ideas.

I always ph the AN PH perfect. Ive ran it without ph adjust and had minor deficiencies. Its good habit to adjust ph in any hydro medium, even better habit to understand why.

Putting 4ml per litre of ph perfect in any medium is likely to be disasterous lol. I wonder why they have that as a guide, its mental.

Sent from my SM-G925F using 420 Magazine Mobile App

No nutes from day 1. I start low at 0.5ec plus water value. Also adding mycorhizae and a quality roof stim. Just feed small amounts each day. And gradually build volume of feed up as roots develop.

Its true that you can give water for up to 2 weeks but you need to condition the coco to the ph and ec and you will get superior results if you do that.

Coco is different from soil pud. Yeah I didn't go over half strength until flower. Crazy what they call for! But you know use more nutes buy more nutes. I gotta say though. I have had really good experience with the ph perfect and not adjusting. I pulled a pound with my 4x4 and 4 plants with sensi coco. Stuff is so expensive. Ive seen how ledrf does it looking forward to seeing how you do coco cult. I'm sure I'll learn a thing or two :passitleft:

I never follow bottles advice on base nutrients. I always go off the EC/ppm once the nutes are mixed. Ive grown thousands of plants in coco and i still play around from time to time but the key things are:

Feed often
Keep EC/PPM in a good range
Keep PH stable
REMEMBER ITS HYDROPONIC NOT SOIL.

I have loads smaller grows journalled with small and large plants. So feel free to look through them.

The AN 3 part PH Perfect is a good base nutrient when used correctly though.

I'm gonna give small dose of root hormone and what is mycorrhizae ? Iv been reading so much about coco and I wish I used soil to start with haha but I'm gonna see what happens anyway thanks for the advice .

I'm not really a experienced grower but I do know a thing or two but I think I should of went with soil first not coco

Why? Coco is way better than soil. Its super simple and you need to monitir ph and ec in soil the same as every other medium.

Mycorrhizae is beneficial bacteria such as great white. It helps roots with nutrient uptake. Check out my grow journals mate, theres nothing you wont find regarding growing in coco.

It's easy for you to say ha as I said I'm not a experienced grower but I'm sure I'll learn, thanks very much for the advice and I just wanted to try out autos at first just to see how it goes and to get the hand of things. Thank you

I never follow bottles advice on base nutrients. I always go off the EC/ppm once the nutes are mixed. Ive grown thousands of plants in coco and i still play around from time to time but the key things are:

Feed often
Keep EC/PPM in a good range
Keep PH stable
REMEMBER ITS HYDROPONIC NOT SOIL.

I have loads smaller grows journalled with small and large plants. So feel free to look through them.

The AN 3 part PH Perfect is a good base nutrient when used correctly though.

I hear you on that. EC is great but I never get that exact. I use the full strength as a guide and start at 1/4 strength and bump up as the plants needs. I'm going to try the 3 part next grow after my organics if organics can't stack up. I hope organics can compare but if not hopefully the ph perfect three part is cheap enough. I was really happy with AN just not the prices.

Hey pud. Cult is right. I only ever had problems when growing in soil. Coco has been a real treat. Easy to correct. So forgiving! You'll love it I'm sure. Like he says many small meals vs a large feast after a fast.

How many litres should I give each seedling or should I even give them a litre each ? There not even popped yet ?

Put them in small pots and give them 50ml each. No more. You want to damp the medium but if you saturate it you will slow root development for sure. Take my advice and grab some great white mycorrhizae, not 1 person ive told to use it has stopped using it once they started.

Also by measuring your EC/PPM value you can really push the plants and time subtle changes.

Pud Coco is no more difficult than soil. Just get a quality EC meter and PH pen. These are essential tools for mixing nutes and diagnosing possible problems.

They are autos so iv started them in the pots they are going to finish in, I heard transplanting them will stress the plant. And I gave them each a small dose of water, I have a ph pen and I need to get a ec meter. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom