Root bound

cnile

It was root bound in 1 gal pot. I cut with razor and ripped off biottom circling roots with hand.

3 plants all the same.

Pushing a week and they have not explored to new coco.

That normal with ur guys experience.

Up top I've seen nothing. The others transplanted take about two days before they kicking again.

Sent from my iPhone using 420

Got pics

I don't cut my roots, have done it with certain types of house plants but not cannabis.

I just transplanted from one gallon coco plastic pot into 3 gallon coco Smart Pots and the plants responded right away.
Not sure if you categorise this as root bound, I say minor, now when I went from the solos to the one gallons the solo were fairly root bound.

This is the one gallon just before transplant to the 3 gal. Smart Pot.

20170124_105812_2_.jpg

Not sure how long yours have been in the pot, this pic is less than 2 weeks in the pot.

GR

Mine were much worse. There's three potential mothers all with the problem. I'm pushing a week and they look like shit still.

I can see the coco shift around where the one gallon was inside the new pot. Like it hasn't spread at all.

I'm watering less maybe that's problem. I'm giving Superthrive and I'll just wait. Also low ppm. Dunno what else I can do but rip out of dirt and look.

When mine were like yours they filled the three gallons in about three days after transplant. I could feel the fabric pot become solid rather than loose coco.

May I ask a question, and forgive me if I am insulting you!

When you did the root chop you cut off what about the bottom 1/3rd, if so you cut off the new growth, leaving you with old growth to for uptake. Also, how did your transplant after you did the chop? What size and type of pots did you use, nutes etc? More info you got better someone can help you.

GR

Start solo cup. Almost bound. Went one gallon. Bound and sat for a couple weeks.

Opened up cut 4 slices down sides with razor. Bottom 1 inch of container near drain holes was a white mass of roots clumped. Especially bad bottom inch.

Tore bottom one inch off with hand. It ripped and loosened up roots a little. Really not too much. They were long and bundled. When I pulled away lots of strings maybe 12 inches unwound from bottom and ripped off also.

Sprinkle great white on roots.

Put in 3 gal smart pot

Coco/perlite.

Ro water
Cal mag
Superthrive

May have been over water. It's different new brand of smart pot and I don't think it breaths as much.

Now that I'm going over it.... I think it might be these new pots not breathing.

Think that would do it. After transplant not drying right?

Just about the kind of roots you want to see when you transplant... The only thing i would do different would be to hold the plant in both hands, force my fingers up into the center of the root ball, then spread it out... That'd make it about twice as wide, and half as tall.. No need to transplant the whole root ball that deep..... You should encourage the plant to spread its roots outward in its new container...

c13df6f6e5c214396f5a14ca5d255842.jpg

Those are new. The are all thick and shit.

These are other ones I use. They are way lighter fabric. I'm just really noticing this.

4b0c50a91b95904dc9bd1dbd1ebd10d8.jpg

I have a feeling that when you did the actual transplant that you did not spread the roots you put the plant into the smart pot. So yes that are not reaching out, so yes to wet back off the H2O

A update.

Thew two out. The did not expand roots after one week or so.

They were turning brown roots.

Kept one. Has a ton of roots now totally filled out roots.

Up top not much. Smells good. Looks good. But super slow growth. Responds to waterings and light well. The main symptom now is just upwards growth which I'm sure is #1 after root bound. So I'll give this one some love I suppose.

Main lesson - don't try and sex regulars in 4 liter pots from seed.

8 liter for preflower sexing next time!

Also lesson - buy name brand smart pots. Off brand I I got made of funny fabric that holds water too much.

Returned g-leaf "smart pots" from Amazon - $16 for 5 3gal pots

SmartPot for $6 for 1 3gallon is much more worth it than cheap stuff.

Back
Top Bottom