Why does Nutrient/pH water change over time?

Jchron08

Hey guys my question is this:

I make my nutrient/ph water in a 2gallon bucket and water out of a cup. Now if i leave a gallon of nutrient/Phed water in there for a day or two the PH goes up and it seems to develop algae.
Anyone familiar with this? If so how do you combat this?

I ask because I am getting an automatic watering system together and I was curious if I can use nutes in the res that will be distributed over a few days.

Obviously I don't want to fill the res on day 1 with 6.0 nute water and by day 3 the plants are getting 7.5. Any advice suggestions?

I am growing in hempys btw coco/ perlite 60/40

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Don't let light hit res. Dark res, lid.

Keep solution temp low.

Ph need to stabilize after new chemicals mixed together. Takes about 24 hours for mine before biggest swings are over.

Sent from my iPhone using 420

What do you mean for ph to stabilize. So are you saying I should mix nutes, then wait about 24 hours to PH it?

I mix nutes knowing it will rise. I simply wait about 12hours and mine is usually at 5.8 so I water then. Then in 10 hours I check it. Add a little ph down. Let sit and double check then water. Same thing next day.

Depending on size of res sometimes I'll add base nutes or additives rather than ph down and that will bring ph down. Say if it was two week res but after week one I want higher ppm. Don't ph down, add base nutes as your ph down.

I don't know exactly why it drifts. It has to do with hydrogen ions or something

Simple rule. Try not to ph water then feed without giving it some time to double check ph value. .

Hey guys my question is this:

I make my nutrient/ph water in a 2gallon bucket and water out of a cup. Now if i leave a gallon of nutrient/Phed water in there for a day or two the PH goes up and it seems to develop algae.
Anyone familiar with this? If so how do you combat this?

I ask because I am getting an automatic watering system together and I was curious if I can use nutes in the res that will be distributed over a few days.

Obviously I don't want to fill the res on day 1 with 6.0 nute water and by day 3 the plants are getting 7.5. Any advice suggestions?

I am growing in hempys btw coco/ perlite 60/40

Oxidation.
Your solution is losing electrons and therefor the potential hydrogen changes. This is called oxidization reduction potential.

I mix 4 gallons at a time, about three days worth. I add mix that has sat for 24 to 48 hrs, to the main rez then I pH the entire rez after recirculation for about 30 mins. I then make another batch that sit's for another 24 to 48 hrs.
I have two rez's, the upper main rez holds about 8 gallons, this rez feeds my plants. the secondary, rez 12 gallon, sits below the main rez and is used to keep a constant level in the main rez. It is pumped up to the main rez and recirculates from secondary to main via drain line running from main rez to secondary one.
Hope that made sense! Maybe this will explain it better.
info_on_rez.jpg

Manifold_pics_1.jpg

GR

Back
Top Bottom