Top Drip System aka AWS

Jchron08

Hey guys so I finished my automatic watering system aka top drip system. I have a 120gph pump hooked up to a 8 port manifold to 1/4" tubing to my girls.

My res. Is going to be a 12gallon bucket but I've been just testing out of a 3gallon.

Now my problem is when I run the pump for say 30 seconds and then turn off and unplug. The pump still pushed water through for a LONG time. It continued to push a gallon of water through even when the pump was off. I have a feeling this has to do with pressure of some sort.

Any one have any experience with this or a solution?

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Punch a hole in the main feed line before it leaves the bucket. Your getting syphoning.

Inserted a 1/4" fitting in the tubing above the rez pointed back into the rez, via a 14" tubing to reduce the noise from the syphoning valve.
20170306_113557.jpg

How the adjustment are set up for pressure adjustment and anit syphoning.
20170306_113602.jpg

The tube to the left is the pump line to the manifold, the middle line is the line to the inside manifold to feed the plants and the tube to the right is the pressure adjustment line with a valve that goes back to the lower rez to be pumped back into the main rez.

GR

Nice system!

So basically :

I have the pump then 1' of 1/2" tubing to the manifold where it splits to the 1/4" drip lined.

Now if I put a small hole in the 1/2" tubing right before the manifold that sits above the water line - this will solve my problem?

If so, then may I ask about the 1/4" tubing you have from that hole that goes back into the res? Is the tubing necessary, does water shoot out? Can I get away without it?

Thanks again

Nice system!

So basically :

I have the pump then 1' of 1/2" tubing to the manifold where it splits to the 1/4" drip lined.

Now if I put a small hole in the 1/2" tubing right before the manifold that sits above the water line - this will solve my problem?

If so, then may I ask about the 1/4" tubing you have from that hole that goes back into the res? Is the tubing necessary, does water shoot out? Can I get away without it?

Thanks again

As long as it above the rez, yes put a hole in the 1/2", does not need to be a big hole, just to let air into the line to prevent syphoning.
I put the there because it is in my bathroom and it is noisy, I put it right above the waterline to reduce the noise. It is not necessary.

If you have just the one line coming out of the rez supplying the manifold, you will put it just before the manifold but pointed down into the rez. My system circulates, I pump from a 14 gal lower rez up into the upper 10 gal rez and it drains back into the 14 gal rez. I start the circ. 10 minutes prior to my start times and it runs for a few minutes after the main pump shuts down.

Maybe this will explain it better. This pic does not show the anti syphon in the line yet.

Manifold_pics_1.jpg

Good luck, any more question feel free to ask. Not an expert but I read a lot.

GR

That's an awesome set up man. I'm doing mine basically for time savings and to be able to go away for a few days. May I ask the value of a major set up like that? Or is it the same and just for large scale?

Also I solved my problem just like you said and have a hose running off the 1/2".

Question can the "siphon hole hose" actually be submerged in the res? Or does it need to be exposed to the air to allow air to get in?

That's an awesome set up man. I'm doing mine basically for time savings and to be able to go away for a few days. May I ask the value of a major set up like that? Or is it the same and just for large scale?

Also I solved my problem just like you said and have a hose running off the 1/2".

Question can the "siphon hole hose" actually be submerged in the res? Or does it need to be exposed to the air to allow air to get in?

It is hard to say what it cost, I had a lot of the stuff, was given some stuff, only thing I bought was some hose and a few fittings. But if I were to guess I would say you could do this for under $200. If you shop it well you can do better than that. I would think you can just add to what you've got.

No you need the air gap for the anti syphon to work.

GR

Back
Top Bottom