First time coco grower: What's your best piece of advice?

thedude69

This is my first run doing coco coir. I'm am using sanctuary soil hydro builder. It is coco coir and perlite. I'm doing 4 blue dream in 7 gal pots. Under a 600 mh/hps. Just lookin for advice on watering and growing in coco. I used to do soil. Nutes are coco tek a and b and mammoth p. Thanks everyone.

Sent from my iPod touch using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Well m using same nutes very easy to use. Seven gallon seems big for coco. I use three gallon and water every day. Plants love it. Look at as hydro don't look at it as soil. That's the biggest thing for me. Its easy to treat like soil but its far from soil. Never let it dry out. Keep it moist and again water every day. I water to no runoff but that's up to debate. I would advise u to read cultivator coco feed thread. There u will learn everything and all questions will be answered fast by coco grower's!! Good luck to you!!

Pino's Coco & Perlite - Thunderpaws - First Grow Ever 2017

Here they are just now.
420-magazine-mobile1218252284.jpg
420-magazine-mobile118523441.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1441660190.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1791561542.jpg

Sent from my iPod touch using 420 Magazine Mobile App

The only reason to water will 10-20% run off is to check the PH level of the water coming out so if its too high then you ca end up with a nute locked plant.

A Licenced Medicinal Cannabis User

The only reason to water will 10-20% run off is to check the PH level of the water coming out so if its too high then you ca end up with a nute locked plant.

That's not entirely true, run off also helps flush out salts an other build ups in the coco. Which if they get out of hand can wreak havoc on ur plants. Not only that if I have 10-20% run off Iam almost guaranteed to have no dry spots an know my medium is fully saturated. Just my opinion ;)

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

That's not entirely true, run off also helps flush out salts an other build ups in the coco. Which if they get out of hand can wreak havoc on ur plants. Not only that if I have 10-20% run off Iam almost guaranteed to have no dry spots an know my medium is fully saturated. Just my opinion ;)

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App
Yeah thats the other reasons for a run off, but like i meantioned if you don't do a run off your PH can be way off as to high or to low and have a nute lockout which is caused by salt build up amongst other crap built up.

Just to also note 3 Gallon pots are good enough for growing in Coco.

Start with 1 gallon pots and up plant to 3 gallon or you can start in a 3 Gallon.

Just if you start in a 3 gallon make sure not to over water as you want the roots to search for water for every other day until the get tooted well then you can water with nutes one day and only water the next day and repeat nutes day after and only water next day do this and tgey will grow great.

As usual PH your water and nute water.

Well on the run odd note. I don't water to runoff and m eight weeks into veg and have no issues. I follow cultivator and he insist u don't have to water to runoff. He grows thousands of plants he also has how to feed coco thread. Look him up his results prove his words. Also if you have a question go to his thread and he will answer. I have read all of his journals going back almost seven years. He has dealt with almost anything this wonderful plant can throw at him. But there are also a lot of great growers that do water to runoff. Its what works for u n the end. Also I water with nutes every watering. Treat it like hydro is what cult says. My plants are explosive and the only reason I haven't sent them to bloom yet is I cloned each one so when they root I bloom. Tryna find the best pheno in the bunch so I can have a mother plant. I think I already know which one is gonna b the mother. Then m gonna move onto the next strain. I want to get four mothers and be a clone planter. Then when I get tired of that strain throw the very old mother into bloom. Again nothing is wrong as long as it works!! Jus dial in ur style and run run and run more with it. I try to learn at least one new thing a day which is a obstacle in itself!! Sorry for rambling!! Things are looking good and ur plants look happy. My only real suggestion is seven gallon is way to big for coco. I was gonna go five but everybody said stick to three and m glad I listened cause when I up potted to three it looked huge compared to the one gallon it was in. Here till the end go head and knock it out the park!!

Pino's Coco & Perlite - Thunderpaws - First Grow Ever 2017

Runoff needed to test PH to make sure its what its suppose to be... but ya can do this with a soil test too.

As for babies and seedlings.. just don't over water them as ya not wanna drown them.

I'm just designing a grow box and I'm thinking coco might be good for me.
In looking at pot sizes, the consensus seems to be to use a 3 gal pot.

The standard 3 gal pot is 9 1/2 inches tall by 10 3/4 inchs diameter

Question 1: Could I use a shorter but wider pot? For example a pot 5" tall and 20" wide?
Perhaps that's an extreme... I'm looking to save as much vertical height as I can.

Question 2: If I need to provide runoff I'll need to have the pot sitting in another container. Do I need to set the grow pot up a bit from the catchment container, or can roots droop down a bit into any runoff that I haven't been able to suck up.

Thanks

I'm just designing a grow box and I'm thinking coco might be good for me.
In looking at pot sizes, the consensus seems to be to use a 3 gal pot.

The standard 3 gal pot is 9 1/2 inches tall by 10 3/4 inchs diameter

Question 1: Could I use a shorter but wider pot? For example a pot 5" tall and 20" wide?
Perhaps that's an extreme... I'm looking to save as much vertical height as I can.

Question 2: If I need to provide runoff I'll need to have the pot sitting in another container. Do I need to set the grow pot up a bit from the catchment container, or can roots droop down a bit into any runoff that I haven't been able to suck up.

Thanks

That will depend on your grow area, and your plant count, I grow 5 plants vertical in a 4x4.
I would suggest you check out Smart Pots, fabric material. I am grow now in 3 gallon, but only because I have the room to grow 2 plants large. But growing 5 plants vertical I get ever thing I need size wise in 2 gallon, and will be going back to the 2 gallon when I harvest these two in a few weeks and start the 5 plant vert grow.

I built a 30x48 inch grow box, heavy mother too. I did three yrs on the garage with that thing but it had no versatility and the garage was so hot and cold it was a pain. I would suggest you check into a tent or just a spare bedroom if you have it. My 4x4 fits in a closet and I bring in air from another room and exhaust into the garage. It gives me more room to move do the things I want in my grow.

GR

Read read read and just when your finished reading... read some more.. haha seriously tho best bit of advice I could give and I love coco is watch you PH and the way nutrients change that PH. Prevention is better than cure my friend. :)
Could you take a look at my coco grow and lend some tips. I got the F F trio and want to know when to start using them. I'm growing autos in 5 gal fabric pots

Back
Top Bottom