Seeds started in coco growing slower than Pro Mix?

Kip22

Hi all

I just started 5 seeds all the same in solo cups. All five popped a week ago and the 3 in coco are growing noticeably slower right out of the gate. I'm watering every 2-3 days as needed. Should I be watering the coco more? Maybe add a little nutes even though its early?

Thanks!

Yes sir.

Daily water. Very little water. First day they poke up I'm on them with

2mlcalmag plus about 1 ml nova grow and some roots excel
399226bc07ae2b43c42c5b2fc8be67dd.jpg

And they are asking for more light.

Those popped head up 3 day ago

I am growing amnesia haze autos with a cocogro brick 2 plants in about 3 gal each. Using a 600 watt led. They're doing fantastic. They've been planted for 24 days. They look great. Only problem is they're only about 6 tall each. They sprout new branches everyday. I checked them earlier and already starting to show white hairs. I've thought about topping them. But I've always heard to wait till they're about 10 inches tall. It's my first indoor and autoflower grow. I want them to put out a descent yield. But at this rate it's not looking to promising. Can you give me any info please I'd really appreciate it.
420-magazine-mobile146326288.jpg
420-magazine-mobile756777349.jpg

Thanks for all the replies. They are doing a little better now but still way behind the pro mix seeds. I think I'm gonna revert back to pro mix for starting seeds and then throw them in coco once they are a little bigger and see how that goes.

Thanks for all the replies. They are doing a little better now but still way behind the pro mix seeds. I think I'm gonna revert back to pro mix for starting seeds and then throw them in coco once they are a little bigger and see how that goes.

You require two totally different approaches. Promix is outperforming the coco because you've treated them the same. Coco brings absolutely no nutes to the grow. Coco needs to be treated like hydro, complete with its own feeding program. I precharge all my coco (or coco/ perlite mix) with base nutes to stimulate root development and growth. Reverting to PM for seedlings won't help you understand coco nor it's benefits/ differences. I'm not positive of your intentions so I'll assume you've used two different substrates as a learning process. Rock on!

Sage is correct, if ur treating coco the same as soil ur not getting the benifits from it. There r many ways to use coco but base line is u need to feed it atleast once a day with a hydro based nute line up an u have to add cal/mag supliment.

............ base line is u need to feed it at least once a day with a hydro based nute line up an u have to add cal/mag supliment.

This is a timely thread for me. I expect to receive my first ever seeds this week. I have everything else I need. Ideally, I would like to plant in my final container of coco right after germination. I'm going with an autogrow. So, I have limited time in veg. As with every other aspect of growing, there is no shortage of conflicting advice about this.

Many say to avoid nutrients entirely at least until the first serrated leaves pop out for fear of killing it. Given the nature of the coco, I'm not confident that untreated (except for PH) water will keep the ladies going strong for that long.

Hate to lose them first time out. Advice?

thanks,
Gears

I used Canna Start to pre-charge some Coco yesterday. Instead of a specific product like Canna Start, you could use your normal fertilizer at a highly diluted ratio of say 25-50% of normal for the first couple weeks.

420-magazine-mobile1565977233.jpg

I used Canna Start to pre-charge some Coco yesterday. Instead of a specific product like Canna Start, you could use your normal fertilizer at a highly diluted ratio of say 25-50% of normal for the first couple weeks.

Thanks, Sage.

When you move these to your final pot, do you just cut the cup away and make a hole in your medium large enough to accept the whole thing. Or, will the coco mostly fall away leaving just the roots with little or no coco attached? This is a pretty rookie question, I know.

Also, are you using the clear cups specifically so that you can keep an eye on the roots development?

cheers,
Gears

Thanks, Sage.

When you move these to your final pot, do you just cut the cup away and make a hole in your medium large enough to accept the whole thing. Or, will the coco mostly fall away leaving just the roots with little or no coco attached? This is a pretty rookie question, I know.

Also, are you using the clear cups specifically so that you can keep an eye on the roots development?

cheers,
Gears

If you're doing things correctly, the cups quickly fill with roots and most EVERYTHING is easily removed. If you line the bottom as I did with coco croutons or perlite, you'll probably lose some of that if the roots haven't completely engulfed it. When ready to transplant, gently squeeze the outside of the cup. Grabbing the plant stem near the base, turn the plant upside down, let gravity assist and gently remove the cup. The premade hole is lined with Mykos or similar to stimulate root growth after transplant. No need to cut away cups since you're going to keep using them on future grows. :)

As to the clear cups, you are correct. I use clear cups so I can monitor root development. This also allows me to test other root stimulants/ products and obtain visual confirmation. The clear cups are placed inside similar sized colored cups so the roots are not adversely affected by light.

IMG_20170502_151502.jpg
IMG_20170502_151430.jpg
IMG_20170502_151441.jpg
IMG_20170502_152319.jpg

Cheers, Sage. I'll follow your lead. That way, should anything go wrong, I can blame it all on you. :blushsmile:

All I need now is something to arrive in the mail.

thanks,
Gears

Gears - I hope you have better success getting seeds through Customs than I have. Out of 11 different orders - only got 3...2 of which were regular seeds! Those breeders haven't got feminized yet.
I'm doing my first indoor in Coco in Solo Cups but have to transplant up this week. After getting so much contradictory info from all the reading I was doing, I stumbled upon 'The Cultivator's' Coco guide on this site and his advice makes sense. Perhaps check it out. Similar to the advice you've been given here - as in feeding Coco every day but not enough for much or any run-off. And he has suggestions for weekly nute mixes. Just a suggestion. Good luck with your post!

Back
Top Bottom