Almost Ready for Coco Grow

thebinapt23

48x48x80 Tent
1000 LED (Will be picking up another next week)
HPS/MH 400/600 (Taking this down)
1 floor fan, 2 smaller fans
3, 5, 7gal earthpots (which ones to use?)
10in Plastic Plant water catchers
Advanced Nutrients pH Perfect Sensi Bloom Coco Part A+B
Canna Coco Brick, 8 liter dry
Super Silver Haze

This is my first Coco grow, and I'm looking forward to not having to use soil. I'll be planting my seedlings in peat pots soaked in the diluted nutrient formula, and I wanted to ask some questions of the more experienced coco growers:

Is there a preferred size for growing w/ Coco? Growing and maintaining in 7gal pots last time was difficult for me, because of back issues. I thought it might be better if I went with 5-3gal pots, easier to lift, and hopefully cut down on accidents from the "run off." I'm reading alot about the mixture of Coco, perlite, etc., but with 3gal bags is there an advantage for or against mixing in perlite?

Are you using RO water or just pHing it? I'm wanting to get an RO unit, and saw an inexpensive one, but may have to use store bought distilled for a few weeks before affording it. My plans are to veg for 6 weeks before putting it in the other tent. Is the time frame from seed to harvest the same as soil?

One more thing: Just how much of your funds go towards nutes during a grow? I'm thinking it balances out once you get away from the MH-HPS lights, but what are you spending to feed and care for plants if feeding twice a day during flower?

Thanks for the help. I'm looking forward to learning and watching our gardens grow!

I highly suggest that you amend your coco with perlite because more oxygen to the root zone produces fast and healthy growth. I use a 50/50 mix which allows me to start feeding from sprout without the fear of overwatering. I start in 1ltr air pots for the first two weeks and transplant to a 9ltr air pot for the rest of the grow.

I use tap water with GH MaxiBloom as my only nutrient and the only additive I use is Silica Blast. Nutrients can be expensive if you use liquid nutes and unnecessary additives are even more expensive. MaxiBloom costs me $0.11 per gallon.

Good luck on your grow - coco can be fun and rewarding.

You might want to consider a drain tray for your run off. I use hydro halos for feeding.
black4x4IDtray.jpg

93666_51b5efee8e0b8_original.jpg

93666_51b5efee7e35e_original.jpg

You might want to consider a drain tray for your run off. I use hydro halos for feeding.

Great info about the Halo feeder! I'm still trying to figure out how to do this in a room, but I'm working on it. I'll check out the drain tray, but the 10in trays I have are pretty deep. I can't let it sit in water, so I'll be getting it sucked out with a wet/vac.
Tap water? Really? I just assumed everyone went for the RO water. So I can just pH it with the nutes and that'll be fine? I do understand that water is different everywhere, but generally speaking it's okay for us to regular tap? Good to know!:)

Great info about the Halo feeder! I'm still trying to figure out how to do this in a room, but I'm working on it. I'll check out the drain tray, but the 10in trays I have are pretty deep. I can't let it sit in water, so I'll be getting it sucked out with a wet/vac.
Tap water? Really? I just assumed everyone went for the RO water. So I can just pH it with the nutes and that'll be fine? I do understand that water is different everywhere, but generally speaking it's okay for us to regular tap? Good to know!:)
I use the KISS method for nutes - 7 grams of GH MaxiBloom per gallon of tap water - that's it. I never have to add calmag because it's in the water. Make sure you pre charge your coco.

Listen to mick, he knows what hes talking about trust me.

I'm reading and studying everything he says, and what's on the board. I'm even planning on sending back the AN nutes to get what he's using. i wanted to avoid any pH problems, and the AN boasts "perfect pH." Based on what Mick's done, it should be possible for me to do, too.:)
Any views on growing from one pot, rather than transplanting a plant in veg? I've done it before with soil, but not sure of possible problems with coco coir.

Hey, check out my last journal, i have a good amount of information on a system similar to what you're after.
This is the setup for my new grow
ccd99b0ea91c40f7d97fc900befcb226.jpg
7b6241fe7b42713a575eb1744f78fd0f.jpg
6cd3314efdd86a2200ebaa881c979e84.jpg

Hey, check out my last journal, i have a good amount of information on a system similar to what you’re after.
This is the setup for my new grow
That looks awesome! Going to read your journal now. Will have questions...many questions!:)
thanks;)

Under what name is your journal?

Check this journal too if you wanna learn a crap ton of info

Back
Top Bottom