Rice hulls instead of coco

Working in golf course construction for way to many years, lol, I build or rebuilt 100+ golf greens. For organics in pure sand I would use 20% organic composted rice hulls/80% sands of varying sizes. It made a great grow medium for golf greens. Have looked and tested some of the greens I build 40 yrs ago and they are still viable. They do need to be rebuilt though, using modern techniques.
Not sure how non composted rice hulls would retain water, the composted hull held way to much moisture to use straight. It may work very well for cannabis as it will take a yr. plus to compost and breakdown.

GR

It hold water less than coco

So they are fresh hulls not composted, bet they will work great in cannabis.

Keep us posted

Howdy All and to chime in if I may. There is this to look over from this site:

Perlite vs rice hulls?

that may help inform you on your choices. Seems like from other sites and info that goes back to 2012. The only real negative I read was because of there shape, like little canoes. Silt like particles from other mixed mediums will clog these cavities and hinder its ability to help drain soil. Becoming sponge like holding , not draining.

The dissolved metals and unabsorbed salts are trapped in this mud to. Adding to or may lead to difficulties for the plant with lock-out and controlling doses. As It is packed into it and all the flushing in the world won`t wash it out. It said it needs to be stand alone when used as a medium.

This maybe a drawback and why not very popular...??? good read anyway. The pdf. said that when applied as a mulch, FUNGUS GNATS that were green house terrors. Did not like it and was good news as those bastards SUCK!!!

just say `in...keep`em green!!

and...Peace.....
:420: :high-five:

Back
Top Bottom