Coco problems

Novacare

420 Member
I have been trying to grow w/co co n can't seem to get any better. I have been having problems since about a month after starting. I have issues and I think that I need to get some feedback from those who have the knowledge. To get me on track I would be forever grateful. First two things- - watering--- in coco w/ fabric pots. When watering should u do to the point of run off ? and then remove the run off? Seems like even when the pots feel lite my moisture meter says still wet so I don't water correctly. #2 is ph - can't seem to get this mastered either. I need to know how the process is im not doing it right either. I've got some supplies coming but I sure could use some coaching to work this out. I've got a fair amount of $ in this game but would like to see the results improve but mostly the skills to accomplish the task. HELP !!

I have been trying to grow w/co co n can't seem to get any better. I have been having problems since about a month after starting. I have issues and I think that I need to get some feedback from those who have the knowledge. To get me on track I would be forever grateful. First two things- - watering--- in coco w/ fabric pots. When watering should u do to the point of run off ? and then remove the run off? Seems like even when the pots feel lite my moisture meter says still wet so I don't water correctly. #2 is ph - can't seem to get this mastered either. I need to know how the process is im not doing it right either. I've got some supplies coming but I sure could use some coaching to work this out. I've got a fair amount of $ in this game but would like to see the results improve but mostly the skills to accomplish the task. HELP !!

As long as your watering until it drips out of bottom of pots you should be fine .

Your feeding daily right ?

What your doing is precharging the medium every time you feed it .

If under led make sure extra cal mag is present as well .
420-magazine-mobile738906728.jpg
and where your ph should be .

- When watering should u do to the point of run off ? and then remove the run off? Yes. Don't let them sit in the runoff. You can use something to get the pots up off the bottom of the tray a little so that it doesn't sit in it.

- #2 is ph - can't seem to get this mastered either. Ok. There are strips and drop methods of measuring pH - but do yourself a favor and make sure you have a good pH meter and the calibration and storage solutions. You'll need to calibrate the meter when you get it, and learn how to operate and take care of it. Once you do... Whatever you're feeding the plants, whether it's nutrient solution or a plain water flush, make sure that you have adjusted it's ph to around 6.2.

Every few days or weeks, it's a good idea to give them a very good plain water flush to get rid of salt build ups. Follow that up with a feeding so that it's not sitting in plain water.

I grow us coco and no i dont water to run off. Check Cultivator threads out. And PH is important in coco due to it being a hydroponic medium. Anymore questions pleas ask but really if u want ti excel in coco look up cult. He jas a multi grow journal thread and a how to grow in coco thread. Hope i helped if not i apologize!!

Appreciate the info. So w/the ph in is it that u ph everything and every time before even starting and then adding to the medium? Ok then what do you do about ph fluctuations after adding the nutrients n water. Just leave alone n re ph the next addition or do u check the medium when it's ready for the next addition and keep doing it through out the grow?

I have to disagree with one of the above posters. Never run plain water through coco - ever. If you feed daily to run off you will never get salt build up and flushing by any method is unnecessary. That's why they call it "drain to waste" hydroponics. I feed every day from sprout and twice a day after 5 weeks - always to substantial run off and pH'd to 6.0.

Interesting. Makes sense. Only healthy plants could drink like that. Congrats to u on ur skills. Sure would like get to the Same level u have.

Question for u. How old r ur plants before you go to the point of runoff? And what do you do with the run off?also if you would- can u give me the jist of ur ph method.

Question for u. How old r ur plants before you go to the point of runoff? And what do you do with the run off?also if you would- can u give me the jist of ur ph method.
I use a 50/50 coco/perlite mix for my 1ltr starter containers and I feed 1/4 strength nutes to run off every day for the first two weeks - then I transplant to my final 9ltr pot with a 70/30 coco/perlite mix and feed every day at 1/2 strength nutes for two more weeks - then I feed full strength twice per day for the rest of the grow. I pour the run off on my outside plants. I'm not sure what you mean by "the jist of my pH method"? I mix in my nutes with tap water and adjust the pH of the solution to around 6.0.

These plants have been fed everyday to run off and they are two weeks old.
2_weeks7.JPG

Novacare you need to take it one step at a time

First nutrients what are you using? you should be using a coco coir specific
once the nutrients are mixed you then need to ph the solution between 5.5 and 6.2 with 5.8 being the sweet spot I recommend using a ph pen
next you would water your plants with the solution you have just made to about 20 % runoff (runoff is collected and used elsewhere or discarded) with small plants you will not have to water every day until they develop a strong root system. Adding a root stimulant will help with root development.
If I had more specifics like type of nutrients, size of pots, what kind of light, grow room conditions, I could help you more.

Looks great! Uve obviously got the upper hand on ur grow. My problems are multiple and I've begun a change of my method which I'll add to my run off. I might be able to save two of eight thanx to u and the others. Re:the ph deal - I see your set up is a little different than mine. I've got 3G soft pots in a drip tray. After some things I've ordered show up I'm trying again with the changes. U probably put ur mix together ph it n pour it on. The r o goes into the tank below n the roots which I figure r in there sucking the nutes up. Neat !!

U r spot on. I've gotten better at understanding what I did. FYI I veg in a 2x4 tent w a led ( 1000 w) ya rite though it does the job. I use a 3 g soft pot to veg. One change I'm going to do is go from root cube to solo cup then to 3G pot. I was putting wood ashes into the pouch- no more. Will use some perlite w the coco next time n ph everything every time. As far as nutes I alternated between 511 fish fert. Worm casting tea cal mag type solution n epsom salt. No more epsom salt additions. Flowering I use beastie blooms n a lil cal mag. I concede - tried too hard I'll step back n try again with a lot more info. My goal is to b as proud as u people should be about your skills u have. I would love to show you what you have helped me with. Don't hold your breath but know this it will happen !! H N Y to u all !

Over the years of using coco I have found that isf you mix your nutes early, I add 5 to 8 gallon of nute mix to my rez every other day just after last drip cycle @6:15 AM. Let the rez sit throughout the day then pH the solution just prior to the first cycle @9:15. When I do this my pH remains stable, max float is + .2 to .4 points over the remainder of the cycles for that days waterings. If I don't do this, and pH my rez right after adding additional mix, my pH floats upwards + 0.8 to 1.1 over the days cycles.
Don't remember who I got this from but they were spot on and I really don't worry about pH anymore.

The first thing I do when making a batch up is to get my RO/Rain water ready to except the nutes. My tap water sucks so I use either rain or RO which both have around 5 PPM/6.1 pH. When I spoke to Canna USA about it was told to add tap to the RO/Rain water to get it to 120 PPM prior to adding the nutes, I don't use my tap because it sucks bad. I use Epsom and Cal/Magic to achieve those numbers. I then add the nutes, add the total mix to my rez, let it sit then pH in the evening. The Cal/Magic and Epson are needed in my mix because I run light rates of A&B (400 to 450 ppm/gal) and to make up for not getting the needed calcium and mag using lite rates.
I hope this helps buddy, good luck on your grow.

GR

Looks great! Uve obviously got the upper hand on ur grow. My problems are multiple and I've begun a change of my method which I'll add to my run off. I might be able to save two of eight thanx to u and the others. Re:the ph deal - I see your set up is a little different than mine. I've got 3G soft pots in a drip tray. After some things I've ordered show up I'm trying again with the changes. U probably put ur mix together ph it n pour it on. The r o goes into the tank below n the roots which I figure r in there sucking the nutes up. Neat !!

I do a pretty good summary of how I feed my plants and the schedule they are on and why in my journal. If you are on the app it's page 20 and website page 40. Take a read and see if it helps!

Back
Top Bottom