Queen's Sophmore Grow F - Lemon Skunk - Big Bang - Along With Some Bag Seed Sprouts

QueenTokelove

Here I am on my second journal. My first one isn't done yet but I felt that my sprouts needed their own journal. I am excited about this grow because this will be my first grow where I am using some good strains along with some bagseed. I will give them all my attention but my main focus will be on the lemon skunk and big bang....

Lil info on the strains...

Greenhouse-Lemon Skunk

Genetics: Old school Skunk, from the Amsterdam underground..

Effect: Smooth citrus flavour, complex effect, well balanced and long-lasting..

Flowering indoor: Ready in 8 weeks, but an extra week will increase dramatically terpens content in the resin, resulting in a much richer flavour Production up to 600 grams per square meter.

Flowering outdoor: Ready beginning October, good resistance to botrytis. Production up to 800 grams per plant.

THC: 19.12%
CBD: 0.23%
CBG: 0.75%

Greenhouse- Big Bang

Genetics: Skunk, Northern Light, El Nino

Effect: Very known for its medicinal properties, it is sold in the Dutch pharmacies as prescription medicine. Relaxing and calming effect.
Flowering indoor: 9 weeks will guarantee the full range of cannabinoids. Commercially ready in 8 weeks. Yield up to 800 gr/sqm. Very good on SOG and ScrOG systems.
Flowering outdoor: Ready at the beginning of October in the Northern hemisphere and in April in the Southern one. Yield up to 1000 gr/plant.
THC: 19.8%
CBD: 0.12%
CBG: 0.28%

What strain is it? Lemon Skunk and Big Bang
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? Not sure, no info on site
Is it in Veg or Flower stage? vegging
If in Veg... For how long? Lemon Skunk 11 days, Big Bang 8 days
If in Flower stage... For how long?
Indoor or outdoor? Indoor
Soil or Hydro? starting in soil but will be transplanting to coco coir
If soil... what is in your mix? FFOF
If soil... What size pot?not in pots yet but containers
Size of light? 9 23w and 2 14w cfls
Is it aircooled? yes
Temp of Room/cab? between78-80
RH of Room/cab? 30-40
PH of media or res? 6.5-7
Any Pests ? no
How often are you watering? atm spraying daily but will normally be every 3-4 days
Type and strength of ferts used? Blue Planet Nutrients Blue Max 2 Part

Bucket Size - starting with 1 gallon then 3 gallon
Strain(s) -Lemon Skunk, Big Bang and bagseed
# of Plants:9

Here are the pics from a few days ago...Advice and opinions always welcomed...

016248.jpg
015272.jpg
014300.jpg
013322.jpg
012334.jpg
011397.jpg

At the moment, everything is cramped in my closet. So the sprouts are in with my other plants that are ready for flowering. I am holding off starting until I can get this 400w hps light. I did top a couple of them. One has leaves growing in real mutated looking. I doubt you can see from pics I posted but I will try to take some pics of it later in the week. I have started some of the bagseed sprouts on 1/2 tsp nutes very diluted.

I hope you will sit back and enjoy this journey with me. Please feel free to share your thoughts and experiences with me, they are welcome.

Re: Queen's Sophmore Grow f/Lemon Skunk, Big Bang, along with some bagseed sprouts

The ladies look healthy! What does you grow space look like? It appears a closet maybe?

Thanks and yes it is a closet....Thanks for stopping by and you too BC.

Re: Queen's Sophmore Grow f/Lemon Skunk, Big Bang, along with some bagseed sprouts

Cool I'll stick around! I dig the idea of growing in smaller areas. Do you know the specs.(size) of the grow space?

My bf says it is 2 feet by 4 feet....don't know the length because it goes pretty far and no way to measure it. I am wondering on what kind of watt light I would like to get, if 250w will sufficient? Or would 400w be better or would I have to worry about heat issues with the 400w? What do you think? Hoping to have the light in about a week.

How much money do you want to spend? The heat from the 250w will defiantly be easier to deal with. However you you dont mind investing in a exhaust fan the 400w will get you more dense buds. Tis a trade off...

You could also go LED and not worry about the heat.

How much money do you want to spend? The heat from the 250w will defiantly be easier to deal with. However you you dont mind investing in a exhaust fan the 400w will get you more dense buds. Tis a trade off...

Well, that is the thing, I am on a budget. I don't wanna half ass it but at the same time I have to not waste money either. And how would my electric bill be, ya know? If a 250w will do the job then that is fine. You say 400w will get me more dense buds so what will the 250w get me? I don't know anything about LED lights honestly.

Re: Queen's Sophmore Grow F - Lemon Skunk - Big Bang - Along With Some Bag Seed Sprou

I have never used LEDs, but I do know thy they are also not cheap. The 250w will give you some nice buds. However a 400w would do better, but add heat and price. It's all about intensity and lumens!
Now for electric bill to run them. I bet you won't really notice, idk for sure. You will have to look at you elec. Bill and see what you pay per kwh (kilowatt=1000 watts)(kwh=kilowatt-hour)used. Then add up your total box wattage, a little math, and boom!
Right now my mother box alone pulls a Kwh for 12 hours a day everyday. I think my grow adds maybe $50-100 to the bill.

Re: Queen's Sophmore Grow F - Lemon Skunk - Big Bang - Along With Some Bag Seed Sprou

I have never used LEDs, but I do know thy they are also not cheap. The 250w will give you some nice buds. However a 400w would do better, but add heat and price. It's all about intensity and lumens!
Now for electric bill to run them. I bet you won't really notice, idk for sure. You will have to look at you elec. Bill and see what you pay per kwh (kilowatt=1000 watts)(kwh=kilowatt-hour)used. Then add up your total box wattage, a little math, and boom!
Right now my mother box alone pulls a Kwh for 12 hours a day everyday. I think my grow adds maybe $50-100 to the bill.

Hmm, ok, well that doesn't sound too bad. I will have to look up my electric bill and see what's what. I currently have a bid going for a 400w, hoping I will win that but there is still a few more days left. Then there is another one that a friend on here told me about also. I was thinking of putting one of those fans in the closet that has exhaust on one side and blows fresh air in on the other side, know what I mean? But I also keep the door open during the day til I go to bed but even then it is still cracked.

Plus I keep hearing about what a difference it will make compared to growing with cfls. Will it give me a bigger yield? Bigger plant? Faster growth? All these questions run through my mind.

First larger buds is more of a genetic thing. The plant can only be as good as its genes. Things like environment, nutes, light, and you skill will help her reach her peek. That being said my first few grows were with cl'fs and t5's I got a bunch of lovely little wispy buds. They were not bad just wispy. The difference when I added the 400's OMG! I finally had nice sized hard buds, only the very bottom buds were a little wispy. I help the lower buds out by defoliating my girls on days 21 and 45. (makes a big difference!)
If you can, HID's are worth the money!

Queenie,

Lovely loving crop. You obviously have a green thumb!

Kinda confused about the size of your grow space
My bf says it is 2 feet by 4 feet....don't know the length

Do you mean it is 4 feet wide by 2 feet deep and you don't know the height?
Or is it bigger?

Regardless, definitely buy an HPS bulb. Sorry fluor fans, nothing works like HID!

Buy the 400 W lamp, not the 250 W. I read somewhere (this may be apocryphal) that fluors penetrate the canopy 2" deep and that HID lamps penetrate at least 4" deep. (I know you razzed me and Miwa about our "colas", so don't even touch this one!)

Regarding cost: You will use the HPS for 12 hours a day. Ready?

400 W X 12 H = 4800 WH (watt hours) = 4.8 kWH (Kilowatt hours)

4.8 kWH X 30 days = 144 kWH

Not sure about where you live, but in my neighborhood, a kWH cost $.10, that's 10 cents. So

Monthly usage = 144 kWH costs 144 X $.10 = $14.40.

The administration fee on my utility bill (those bastards!) is almost $50.00. To summarize, you may not even notice the increase in your bill.

If your electricity rate is significantly different, just multiply 144 kWH by the cost per kWH. It's somewhere on your bill. 'Nuff said.

As far as heat goes, I have a weird shaped grow room. It's about 4 ft high, 5 ft wide and it's hard to describe it's length. It's the sloped space under a flight of stairs, so the space slopes towards the end. It also shares space with my gas hot water heater (which is also used for heating), so the furnace is on almost all the time in Winter.

I use 400W HID's. When I walk in the room, it feels a bit like a jungle because of the heat and the evaporation from the plants. They really like it! This is the enviroment that their ancestors came from. I have a fan, but seldom use it.

Just a caveat. HID lamps put out intense radiation. Whereas you can practically touch your plants with CFL's, you need between 12" - 18" clearance between the bulbs and your plants, otherwise you will burn the tops of your plants. Unfortunately, this happened on my last grow and I lost part of my crop. When I squeezed the colas that were near the lamps, they turned to dust.

If you have limited ceiling height, you will have to plan according:
(1) train the branches- kinda like making a topiary;
(2) LST (Light Stress Training) - never tried it. Lots of info on how-to on this site;
(3) Use Busholysis® - this means turning the plant into a bush rather than a pine tree, by topping everywhere. If you're interested to see ths in action, stop by my grow:

Wow, thanks for the info. So, I guess the 400w it is. I am still doing good with the bid so far. Might even be bold and say win it because I notice the person selling has multiple auctions running on the same item. It's my first bid on there so I am really getting anxious and excited.

Grant--Yes it is exactly the way you said it. Height is not a factor because the ceiling is very high. I have been trying the lst thing with my other plants in my other journal.

Just a bit of a side note, I think I forgot to mention that the Lemon Skunk and the Big Bang are fems. Their day cycle hasn't started yet but I noticed that they both are coming up kinda fast. The lemon skunk is still lanky, trying to hold her up with incense sticks. Big Bang is standing straight on her own. I am going to have to seperate them soon but am waiting for BB to get a little bigger first. And when I do make the transplant it will then be to coco coir.

No real changes today, both LS and BB seem to be quick sprouters or shoot up in no time. I guess that makes up for the blue mystic that died on me. The bagseed sprouts are doing just fine though there is one that I just may pull. If I do then I will end up transplanting one of them.

Soooooooo, room temp was a little cool today at 70, humidity at 40..Spritzed the babies down and has the door cracked, I want it to get a little bit warmer. I know some of you may be wondering what my plans are for this grow...Well, now I that I feel comfortable that I can grow, I am trying to expand my horizons just one step or two at a time. I have already made up my mind that I would like to always keep a grow going, no breaks for me. I would like to make clones out of the LS and BB, make them mother plants maybe. I would like to do that with each strain that I acquire. How many mother plants should I grow at one time? Would 5 to 8 be too much?

Queenie,

Sounds like you're convinced on the 400W HPS. But, like a bad salesman, let me oversell!

You're producing a crop. To get a certain yield, no matter what your source (unless you're using sunlight), you still have to use a certain amount of kWH (your electrical bill). In other words, regardless of your lighting source, you're still going to have to pay for it.

The only way you can save is by using more energy efficient bulbs. You've already taken the first step: fluorescent bulbs are four times more efficient that incandescent bulbs.

A 400W HPS bulb is almost twice as efficient as a fluorescent bulb! I've been using 25W fluoresent bulbs for early vegetation. If I wanted to replace my 400W HPS bulb, I would need 32 25W bulbs!

Here's a neat chart to show you what I mean:

Relative Lighting Efficiency

RelativeEfficiency.jpg

While I'm knocking fluors, let me say (fluor lovers, just stick your fingers in your ears and go "la la la la la" until I finish making my point)

This is just a personal opinion, but the light from MH and HPS bulbs feels more natural. And the plants know it!

They really perk up when you put them under these bulbs. (If you listen closely enough, you can hear them sing!)

Here is a picture showing the

Sprectra of Various Bulbs

LightingSpectra.jpg

P.S. I've seen many people raving about coco coir. I've never tried it. In fact, I'm not even sure what it is. How do you find it? I'm almost out of soil and need to pick up a replacement soon.

Ggrant---So wow, they are way better than cfls and I would need over 30 to even come close to a hps..I am more than impressed even more with the charts. About the coco coir, I didn't know anything about it til Propa Gator enlightened me then sold me on it. Just as you did with the lights. If you check out my first journal, you will see some information on it from Propa, check the last 2 or 3 pages, somewhere in there. I believe he provided a link as well.

Back
Top Bottom