Dooski's Grow Version 1.5 DWC Cooler CFL/HPS WW x BB

Well im still in the process of my first grow and after reading on here alot I decided to start another. I figured if I was going to do it I may as well do it right. I decided to do a dwc setup and also use a 400w hps for flower. I went with a 48qt cooler for the res so I could keep the temps down and it works great. Im using AN's 3-part Jungle juice and root/bloombastic. I germinated in rockwool (wont do that again) and only got one of my feminized wwxbb's and two bagseeds to sprout so I ended up with three plants. Ive been running the setup for 8 days and they were about a week old when I put them in the net pots. The setup runs great, I only had to adjust ph twice and the temp of the res stays nice and cool with periodic ice bottle changes. Im only using 52w of clf at the moment but will be adding 100w more tonight, I dropped my other 100 watter and broke it earlier today:(. Since its only been the first week they have been getting a low dose of nutes and will get bumped up next week. I plan on vegging them 4-5 weeks. Im sure it will be getting crowded soon but I couldn't bring myself to only run the one good seed so I put the two bagseeds off to the side. I will keep you guys updated weekly. Any questions/comments/suggestions please post them. On to the pics.

First day in the cooler
IMAG014213.jpg

IMAG014013.jpg

IMAG014110.jpg

6 days later/2 days ago
IMAG002514.jpg

IMAG0023_2_.jpg

IMAG002420.jpg

Re: Dooski's Grow Version 1.5 Dwc Cooler Cfl/Hps WWxBB AN Jungle Juice

Small update. Everything has been running great and the plants are growing fast. I did a res change last night and up'd the nutes to the recommended dose for veg. When I was done adding nutes and adjusting the ph I tested the ppm and got 1100 which is pretty high as I understand. The water mix is 60/40 bottle/tap and my tap is at 200ppm the previous mix was at 600ppm total. I did notice the purified water I bought says it has added minerals in it today so no telling what it is. I may go buy a bottle to test since I didn't do it before. I figured the bigger bag seed plants would tell me if they didn't like the mix first and I would dilute it, but they are liking it so far. In an attempt to stunt the big one I trimmed about half its roots off three days ago and it seemed to help it. So last night I topped it and took two large fan leaves. I sure hope its a female because its a very strong plant.

Before trim
IMAG005713.jpg

After trim
IMAG006417.jpg

IMAG0062_2_.jpg

IMAG006110.jpg

IMAG0060_2_.jpg

Other one
IMAG0063_2_.jpg

WWxBB
IMAG0065_2_.jpg

IMAG0066_2_.jpg

pic from today
IMAG0067_2_.jpg

im here to help if its needed, plus if i dont know the answer ill find someone that does, their are loads of top growers on here who are more than willing to help, i have got some amazing plants thanks to all the help and advice i got when i joined this site, now im able to pass some of this advice on so others can benefit and end up with some top quality bud,

but by the looks of it your doing a good job all ready, so ill be following along and im sure many of the usual suspects will be here soon, it wont take long before you have loads of growers checking in and seeing how your doing, it gets crazy at times, i must read about 40 different journals now, but its something i enjoy and it keeps my mind in the right place, so look forward to seeing how this grow turns out, but with all the help and advice at hand here you cant really go far wrong,

These things are showing some impressive growth in two days with only 152w of cfl and the plants on the left only seeing 52w of that. I ended up trimming pretty much all of the big fan leaves on the big one and it turned it into a 10+ top mini bush lol. Cant wait to put some real light on these babys!

IMAG008316.jpg

IMAG007915.jpg

IMAG008114.jpg

IMAG008015.jpg

interesting! Never thought of doing it that way................in a cooler.
Good to see you have the hydroton covered as this will help keep the temps a bit cooler in the res.
Couple questions
Do you have airstones running in that res?
When the roots get really big (and they will) how are you going to do a res change without setting the top somewhere and not damaging the roots?
Will this room be light proof once they go into veg?
How are you exhausting the smell from the plants or does that matter?

Next time you may want to consider the BPN 3 part nutes instead of AN. The BPN works better and costs less. I use to run AN.
Do you have any root accelerators such as hydrozyme or Orca? Running H202 would also help with oxydation for the roots and help keep root rot away if the res temps get a lil too warm. The other option is to run Dutch Masters ZONE and then run none of the other things I mentions. DM Zone keeps the system sterile so it will kill any fungus or bacteria.

Hey Alaskan thanks for stopping by! I was reading in the member of the month section and you seem to be a good guy to have around.

When I covered the hydroton it didn't make as big of a change as when I put an extra fan blowing on the plants and my air pump by that fan(which I did last night). My temps went down to 16c just by changing that. On that note what is to cold for a res?

I'm running 2 6'' air stones and 20-60 gallon pump. I plan on adding more soon.

When I do a res change I have a large storage tote thats the same size as the cooler that I use.

As far as light goes I'm only running this setup at the moment and its all being done inside of a large closet which is light proof with the door shut.

If the smell gets bad which I sure it will I plan on doing a exhaust/filter setup and the hood for my hps is one of those ones with the glass and exhaust attachments.

I will definitely have to give them a try. I'm all for something that works better and is cheaper. The only other thing im using besides the JJ is root/bloombastic. The DM Zone sounds nice I will for sure be checking into it. Just today I noticed something forming on the roots of the big one and will fill you guys in on what it is when I check it out tonight. I hate how dark the mix ends up being when using JJ.

Also one quick question when is the best time to switch my light over to the hps? Before, after, or the same time as the 12/12 flip? I've also been looking into getting a mh bulb since I'm only running one set of plants now. I came across some mh bulbs that were 6-7k kelvin instead of 4-5k which do you guys recommend? I know I put my first plants under some 5500k cfl only and they didn't like it.

res temps really shouldn't fall below 65 degrees. Perfect temps are between 65 to 68 degrees

You change to the HPS bulb at the 12/12 flip
I run the MH bulbs during my veg period. Make sure not to touch the bulbs with your hands or fingers as the oil from your hands will create issues and possibly shorten the life of your bulb.

Small update. Everything has been running great. With the added fan and the light constantly being raised I now only have to change ice bottles once a day. I think what I saw in the roots the other day was just the rockwool being pushed out. I'm also going to have to implement some sort of training pretty quick, I'm either going to mount a screen to the lid or some eyelits for tie off points.

IMAG010912.jpg

looking great mate, growing nice and quick as well,

sounds like you got everything set up just right, the plants look like their doing well,

Another update. Just got done doing a res change a little bit ago. Changed the nutes to the "transition to bloom" phase and they didn't get any rootbastic. Last change I put the plants on top of the air stones and some used mix in a small container while I did the change and didn't worry how long it took. I read somewhere that a little open air is good for the roots so I didn't put any mix in the container this time. It ended up being about an hour before I was all done and got them in. It didn't seem to hurt them at all but how long is too long for the roots not to be in the mix?

Pic right after res change and only 36 hours from the last.
IMAG011712.jpg

everything is looking great mate.

their some debate at the moment about the best lighting, now some growers dont change to the hps till they are 2 weeks into flower, this is suppose to stop the stretch and produce better buds, but i have only come across this when growers switch from mh to hps, they still use the mh or blue light for the first 2 weeks of flower then switch to the hps when the plants are properly starting to flower, ive not tried this myself as i use a dual spec hps, which i find is not the best option as it causes plants to stretch during veg, so clearly the dual spec bulb does not have enough blue light in it to stop the plants from stretching

everything is looking great mate.

their some debate at the moment about the best lighting, now some growers dont change to the hps till they are 2 weeks into flower, this is suppose to stop the stretch and produce better buds, but i have only come across this when growers switch from mh to hps, they still use the mh or blue light for the first 2 weeks of flower then switch to the hps when the plants are properly starting to flower, ive not tried this myself as i use a dual spec hps, which i find is not the best option as it causes plants to stretch during veg, so clearly the dual spec bulb does not have enough blue light in it to stop the plants from stretching

Ya I was reading about that the other day, and it seemed to make sense. I may give it a try when I have some more veg light next run.

I will be switching to 12/12 on friday:cheesygrinsmiley: Cross your fingers everyone that the big one is a girl:popcorn:
Pics from today the tallest one is 14in.
IMAG01269.jpg

IMAG012813.jpg

IMAG012916.jpg

Thanks alot everyone for the kind words, it feels great to be told you're doing well. I have come to really enjoy growing and the whole 420 Mag community. Everything has still been running along great (knock on wood). I did a res change on Friday and switched the nutes to the bloom phase. While I was at it I switched out the two blue 6'' air stones for two of the 18'' flexible ones. I gave the plants 24hr of darkness and began 12/12 on Saturday evening. I have the hps dimmed down to 300w for the time being. I should know the sex of the bag seed plants within a few days.

Pics from today (Day 3 of flower)
IMAG014112.jpg

Big one
IMAG014712.jpg

IMAG014413.jpg

WWxBB
IMAG014315.jpg

Your grow is looking really great. Your girls are looking nice and healthy and growing like crazy. Here's to all girls and a multitude big buds. Nicely done

Back
Top Bottom