GreatLife4All's DWC G13 C99 Grow Journal - 2013

GreatLife4All

Hello All!

Welcome to my second grow journal. My first grow journal has been completed - and there is a link in my signature for anyone that is interested.

In this grow - I am starting from (basically) free seed that I received as promotions. I have them, so I figured I might as well use them. So this grow will start from seed - and progress all the way to harvest.

I have made lots of changes from my last grow. I will fill in the gaps as the journal progresses.

Here are the vital stats:

Germination Station
Seeds were placed into Rapid Rooters on May 9, 2013.

Rapid Rooter Germination Tray
Rapid Rooter Plugs
Seedling Heat Mat
Digital Thermostat For Heat Mat

Indoor Grow

Basement of single family home.
Ambient temperatures 60 to 66 F – Grow Room averages 72 F
Relative humidity depends on the time of year – been running right at 70 to 80 recently. Grow Room averages 50 to 60% RH.
Grow Room is a separate room in the basement.
Secret Jardin DarkRoom II Pro 120 - 48 x 48 x 80 Inches
Operating Temperature Range 71 – 80 F
RH is typically 50-60%
Secret Jardin Dark Dryer 36"x36"x72"
Heavy Duty Dehumidifier
1000W GrowMedic Ballast
Sun Master Blockbuster Air Cooled Reflector = 6 inch
ActiveAir Charcoal Filter / 440CFM Fan Combination
Home made RDWC System – holds up to eight plants in 6” Net Pots
ActiveAqua Chiller, refrigeration unit 1/4 HP
Grow Stone planting media​

Nutrients, Additives, and Amendments
The major change in this area is that I am going to be using Blue Planet Nutrients this time through. Historically, I have used GH, and most recently I have been using Advanced Nutrients.

I will post my intended usage information later.

Blue Planet Nutrients High Yield Pack
GH pH Up and pH Down
35% Food Grade H202
Hygrozyme​

Instruments and Meters
Hanna Instruments HI98128 pHep 5pH/Temperature Tester
COM-100 Waterproof Combo Meter for EC, TDS and Temperature
Meade TM005X-M Wireless Indoor/Outdoor Thermo Hygrometer
Meade TS33C-M Temperature and Humidity Sensor​

CO2 Equipment
AIR-4 - Temp/Humidity/CO2 Control
C.A.P. CAPPM4 Co2 Gas Detection Sensor
Co2 Regulator & Valve
20 lb. Aluminum Co2 Tank​

Seed Strains
Multiple strains – mostly free seeds. I paid for the Bay 11 and the Reserva Privada Seeds. All seeds are feminized.

Obviously, I have way more seeds that I am starting than I could ever use in an 8 bucket DWC system. I typically start many more plants from seeds than I want, this allows me the option of picking the best plants for the veg tent. Sometimes, even when seeds germinate... they just aren't healthy.

If you have one of these seed varieities that you have grown before and particularly liked or disliked - please post up and let me know. It could make the difference when it comes time to cull.

Grand Daddy Purp Bay 11 – 2:
Mostly Sativa
Plant Stage: Seed
Height: 3-4' (90-120cm)
Flowering: 9-10 weeks
Yield: 2-2.5lbs (900-1100g) per light​

Cali Connection Original Sour Diesel – 1
Sativa / Indica Hybrid
Flowering: 9-10 weeks
Yield: 2.5lbs (1100g) per light​

CH 9 White Shark 33 – 1
Indica / Sativa Hybrid
Flowering: 7 - 8 weeks
Yield: 80g per plant
CH 9 Herijuana Jack 33 – 1
Indica / Sativa Hybrid
Flowering: 7 - 8 weeks
Yield: 80g per plant​

G13 Cinderalla 99 – 3
Height: 2-3 metres
Effect: Physical & cerebral
Genetics: Mostly sativa
Potency: Very high
Flowering Period (Inside): 7 – 8 Weeks (50-55 Days)
Yield: 550 grams​

G13 Cheese – 1
Indica / Sativa Hybrid
Flowering: 8 – 9 weeks

Reserva Privada Silver Kush – 2
Indica / Sativa Hybrid
Flowering: 9 – 10 Weeks

Sweet Seeds (SS) Green Poison
Mostly Indica
Flowering: 7 weeks
Yield: 500g / light​

SS Sweet Tai – 1
Mostly Sativa
Flowering: 9 – 11 weeks
Yield: 400g per light
Very hard to grow plant​

The seeds are planted and I have pictures - as I get time, I will post the updates.

Please join me - it will be a fun ride this time!

GreatLife4All

PS - Two weeks after surgery and i am doing great! Still have lifting restrictions, but I can get around just fine.

Seed Germination

It's time to germinate some seeds!

So I broke out my germination tray, rapid rooter plugs, heat mat, and thermostat.

I place as many rapid rooter plugs as I need into a solution mixed from R/O Water and H2O2. I leave the plugs to soak overnight. This helps to kill any algea or other "things" which might have gotten a start in the plugs during storage. I used .5 ml / liter of 35% H2O2 for this mixture - I pH adjusted this mixture to 6.0.

I then place the plugs as close together as possible - on one end of the tray (I have never needed to use the whole tray). I go thru and make up whatever name tags I need - this is critical when you are starting seeds like this - or you will quickly become confused.

And here is one of the first changes to my process. The Blue Planet High Yield System includes Root Magic Mycorrhizae Biological Inoculum - and you use this on the seeds before they go into the rapid rooter plugs. So I soaked the seeds for about 10 minutes before planting each one in the RO / H2O2 mixture. I placed a small amount of the Root Magic on a paper towel and dropped each wet seed into the powder. This allowed each seed to become entirely coated with the powder.

I have never paid much attention to the orientation when placing seeds into the plugs. But for this run, I placed all of the seeds with the narrow end up. This is supposed to allow the tap root to get started more quickly.

Here is a picture of the germination tray:

IMG_20130510_050243_964.jpg

And another angle:

IMG_20130510_044852_738.jpg

The germination tray is then placed on a heat mat, and the thermostat is set to 75 F. I don't use a humidity dome or anything else. I monitor every day and ensure that the plugs don't completely dry out. But my goal is to allow the plugs to get as dry as possible to prevent mold problems at this stage.

IMG_20130510_044908_588.jpg

I also don't use a light or anything - the tray is just placed in a dark corner of the grow room. Germinated seeds can last two to three days after sprouting without light - so it is never an issue for me.

These were planted on May 9, 2013. It typically takes anywhere from 3 to 10 days for seeds to germinate for me using this system. When I checked on them this morning - I could see the seed head making it's way out on a couple of the plugs. The Bay 11 will likely be the first out of the plug.

So now it is a waiting game...

Re: Seed Germination

I didn't place this into the initial post last night because I didn't think the seed was going to make it.

I also planted a CH 9 Blue Lemon Thai seed. However, when I examined the seed the outer coating was cracked and it didn't look all that good. When I checked this morning - you can tell that the seed was dead. This is one of the reasons that I like the Rapid Rooters over Rockwool - I can break the RR Plug apart and then put back together in the tray with no damage to the seed (you can't do this when roots get started).

So I threw away that one seed and replaced it with an Original Amnesia from DinaFem Seeds. So this seed will be two days behind the others.

We have success!

When I checked everyone yesterday, there were 4 that had their head showing above the plugs.

I went ahead and transplanted these four and placed them into an ebb and flow system where I will be vegging them.

Here is a picture of the ebb and flow system (different plants in it):
2013-02-28_00-28-01_192.jpg

Also, I am vegging these under a 4 bulb T5 light.

The first seed out of the plug is the SS Green Poison. It beat all the others by a couple of hours.
IMG_20130514_174649_147.jpg

From the seedbank:

Green Poison is a stable hybrid between the most potent indica and sativa genetics from Sweet Seeds, created specially for everyone who longs for a deep indica relaxation after a hard working day. This new cannabis strain is strongly dominated by indica genes which make her fast growing and flowering, producing heavy yields of the best quality marijuana. Being mostly indica, feminized cannabis seeds of Green Poison are suitable for indoor and outdoor cultivation and produce eye-appealing plants with some sativa prevalence - they grow long and flexible with a large central cola and a well developed branching system. Their dark green foliage often turns purple in early stage of maturing and makes a perfect back ground for big dense buds covered with white shiny crystals full of THC which is between 15% and 20%...

Green Posion's remarkable 7 weeks of flowering surprise even experienced cannabis growers. A very intense, sweet and fruity, aroma starts appearing at the beginning of flowering and maintains in the final product.​

Second out of the ground, is the CC Sour Diesel - this is one that I am looking forward to growing:
IMG_20130514_174629_683.jpg

From the seedbank:

Original Sour Diesel Original Sour Diesel line is here! We took our Sour Og male and crossed it to the Original Sour Diesel clone to start our Original Sour Diesel line. The seeds produce a very uniform structured plant extremely similar to its mother. Very resinous extremely stinky so odor control is a must, great branching and cloning, all around great seed line. Our Original Sour Diesel clone is the precursor to ECSD and the current Sour diesels out there... She was the first one to make what we know as Sour Diesel today. This clone is what everyone on the east coast thinks of when they think of sour diesel. Straight sour kerosine funk to the max. She smacks your lips then smacks you in the head. Great long lasting high with phenomenal medicinal properties. Our goal was to bring this amazing cut to seed and its finally here. Expect large yields so your going to need added support. Flower time - 9-10weeks

The third seed to germinate today was the CH 9 Herijuana Jack 33.
IMG_20130514_174705_680.jpg

From the seedbank:

Herijuanna Jack 33 is a cross between Motarebel Herijuana and our Jack 33. Limited Edition. Herijuana has strong medicinal value. Some phenos with sativa leaves to expect ,leaning towards the Jack 33, delivering a dynamic indica buzz and cannbis seeds finishing quickly in 7 weeks. A special plant to grow and love for her fast flowering time and quality harvest. Herijuanna Jack 33 can be grown both indoors and outdoors.

The final seed out of the ground today was the SS Sweet Tai. This one is described by the seedbank as very hard to grow - it germinated quickly and looks good so far.
IMG_20130514_174557_414.jpg

From the seedbank:

Sweet Tai are part of a Sweet Seeds sativa collection and combine a high level of THC with a pleasant Asian scent from the finest Thai cannabis strains and an intense musky taste from genetics of Skunk #1. These cannabis seeds are not the easiest to grow and we wouldn't recommend them to beginners in cannabis growing business. Yet, it's worth trying, as Sweet Tai is really an excellent cross with a pleasant Tai aroma and flavour, very penetrating and spiced, typical from some of Asian exotic varieties. Mostly sativa, Sweet Tai shows some indica traits which give a compact structure, a relatively short flowering period and high yields...

Though sativa dominant cannabis is said to need longer to mature, Sweet Tai's indica genes reduced her flowering to just 9 weeks. Some give her another couple of weeks to reach fill the buds. Her buds smell sweet, spicy and perfumed, with a hint of a peppery flavour, and her smoke is smooth and easily inhaled, THC content is 10-18%.

There are four more that have popped today - I will transplant later tonight and take some pictures tomorrow.

Nutrient Solution

Ok... time to talk about nutrient solutions.

I have never used Blue Planet Nutrients before - so I put all the information into some spreadsheets.

Basically, I took the suggested timing and application rate from the BPN web site - and was forced to modify it slightly. Using the standard formula, the ppms will exceed 1600 during the bloom phase - which is a tad high for my likings. My R/O water has 125 ppm and this is not included in the information below. I also add Silicon into the mixture - which takes up another 22 ppm.

Because of this, I reduced the usage of several nutrients - mostly Liquid Blue and Bloom.

BPN_Nutrient_Usage_Info.JPG

And here is a break down on the elements, based on the usage information contained in the previous diagram.

BPN_-_EP_of_NS.JPG

I mixed up the first reservoir yesterday. Everything went smoothly.

Any comments on the subtractions that I made to the standard nutrient suggestions from BPN? Would you delete something other than Liquid Blue and Bloom?

Any help would be appreciated.

Germination - 2nd Day

Another good day for germination - 4 more have appeared on the fourth day.

This first picture shows the Granddaddy Purple Bay 11 and the G13 Cheese. The Bay 11 had a seed husk stuck to one leaf - I knocked it off right before this picture was taken.
IMG_20130515_180121_996.jpg

From the SeedBank:

Grand Daddy Purp creator Ken Estes introduces his new break out Sativa strain "Bay 11" and captures top honours at the 2011 High Times Cannabis Cup Awards!

This is truly an amazing Sativa strain of medical marijuana that because of it's ability to cut through to what ails you, is quickly becoming a collective favourite among patients. It is a full-bodied in odour, flavour and effect.

G13 Labs Cheese is a mind blowing blend of UK Skunk x Afghani. The Afghani narcotic effect compliments the feeling of euphoria that you get with a quality cheese such as this. G13 Labs Cheese boasts a long lasting heavy euphoria and produces a good yeild, with a good heavy dusting of crystals, and of course that beautiful cheese taste that will send your tatsebuds into a frenzy.

And here are the next two which germinated today. The Original Amnesia and Reserva Prevada Silver Kush. Remember from my earlier journal entry - the Original Amnesia is actually two days behind everyone else as it was subbed in after I noted that one seed wouldn't grow. So it actually germinated in 2 days.
IMG_20130515_180053_321.jpg

From the SeedBank:

Reserva Privada Seeds Silver Kush Feminized brings two champions together to make seeds was an easy choice for Reserva Privada. The parents of this strain are Silver Bubble and The OG#18. The Silver Bubble has been an Amsterdam favourite for more than ten years and The OG#18 has quickly proven a winner as breeding stock and a powerful smoke. With the Silver Kush we bring you a great yielding, strong sativa dominant hybrid that has the medicinal power of The OG#18 mixed with the uplifting Silver Bubble, making this strain a must for any sativa grower.

Dinafem Seeds Original Amnesia remains the No. 1 in coffee shops all over Holland, and seeing it's name and reputation grow, the operator of Amnesia has produced the first Original Amnesia feminized. Amnesia is a race of brutal power production and created by a Dutch farmer from the famous Haze and Northern Lights, and others. In the Netherlands it is one of the most sold in coffeeshops year after year, and has won many awards, so many that it is difficult to name them all. It is a sativa that flowers as an indica, fast, very productive, and manageable height. It produces a very high potency with a very sweet Haze, sweeter than the vast majority of hybrids, and a large amount of resin crystals.

All the seedlings from yesterday are looking great at this point. I will post a photo of them in a couple of days.

All in all - everything is looking good. I would guess that the White Shark 33 is not going to make it. The seed has not changed since it was planted - but I will give it more time. The rest will likely all pop tomorrow - you can see them just under the opening in the plug.

Third day that something has germinated - and the fifth day from planting the seeds into the plugs.

The C99s all popped together today. Fairly consistent - which is a great start.

IMG_20130517_021320_508.jpg

IMG_20130517_021314_173.jpg

IMG_20130517_021246_692.jpg

From the seedbank:

G13 Labs Cinderella 99
Our C99 is known for its remarkably rapid growth. It can be harvested as early as after 50-55 days indoor. Thanks to its Grapefruit and Pineapple heritage this gorgous lady have an outstanding sweet and fruity taste which will please even the most fussy gourmet.
Height: 2-3 metres
Effect: Physical & cerebral
Genetics: Mostly sativa
Potency: Very high
Flowering Period (Inside): 50-55 Days
Yield: 550 grams
Harvest Date (Outdoors): End of September to Mid October

An update on the germination count - that puts me at 11 of 14 originals. The other Bay 11 is ready to pop - and will be transplanted tomorrow. The White Shark has the leaves just inside of the plug and a root showing on the bottom - and it looks like it will make it as well.

That leaves one of the original two Silver Kush's which have yet to show any action. Since the other one of these popped two days ago - it doesn't look good for this one.

All of the other ones are still looking great today - a little stretchy right now but I have them under the T5s. Give it a couple of days to a week and I will switch on the 400W MH HID. That will certainly solve the stretching problem.

Germination Complete

I haven't been able to post for a couple of days... but the seeds have all now germinated or been thrown away. Out of 14 starting seeds - I was able to get 12 to germinate. I lost one immediately and probably shouldn't have even planted it - it was cracked and dried out before planting. And one of the Reserva Privada Silver Kush failed to germinate. Not sure what happened on the Silver Kush - the seed was swollen and cracked but there was no root or anything. Since I already had another seed sprouted - I went ahead and pitched this one.

One of the more amazing things - the White Shark 33 germinated succesfully. She had a seed hull stuck to her for 24 hours - I then peeled if off and she has recovered nicely. Here is a picture of her from yesterday:
IMG_20130520_020800_535.jpg
-

The second Grandaddy Purple Bay 11 has germinated. If you look - it didn't come up thru the center of the plug. It bore it's own hole off to the side of the hole in the plug. Never seen that before. Looks healthy, just took an extra two days to germinate over its sister.
IMG_20130520_020840_003.jpg

If you remember, I didn't think that the WS-33 was going to survive - so I planted a BC Cheese seed that I had. It has already germinated and looks very good.
IMG_20130520_020716_837.jpg

Just to give you an idea on size - here is the first plant that germinated. It is now about 2 inches tall and is bringing on it's second set of true leaves.
IMG_20130520_020532_862.jpg

And finally, here is a picture of my ebb and flow table all loaded with 14 plants:
IMG_20130520_020921_179.jpg

Since everyone is germinated and looking very good - I went ahead and removed the T5 and switched on the 400W MH last night. When I checked them this morning - the looked great.

Since I am new to BPN nutrients - and everyone is in an ebb and flow - I am going to change the nutrient solution every week during the germination / early veg phase.

As such, I went ahead and changed everything out today and put in a fresh mixture for week 2. For dosage, I am following the nutrient usage chart posted earlier in this thread.

subscribed

I am glad that you could join me.

As you can see, I have made some changes for this run.

Already like the nutrients - after just two mixes.

Glad to hear you are doing fine after your surgery. looking forward to your grow I am along for the ride

I am actually feeling better every day - amazing what they can do now-a-days. Thank you for the thoughts.

Here is a chart from a spreadsheet which shows how I am going to try and synchronize this grow. Different plants have different veg and flowering times. I am trying to get the harvest dates to sync up.

Any comments based on experience with these strains will be appreciated.

Seed_Schedule_-_MS.JPG

I may only grow one of these and use the others to clone with... it is an option that I am toying with. This would allow me to grow a smaller number of plants and use SCROG.

Hey there GL4,

I am thinking BPN Organic for the next run. So I hope you don't mind me tagging along.

I noticed you added Dark Star to the spread sheet that I didn't see in the first post.

Have you grown it before?

I have read a bit about it on some site that described someone getting seeds from a guy at the Khyber Pass used as the Afghan in the mix to create Dark Star.

About 15 or 20 yrs ago there was a strain around here called Khyber. At the time it was the best pot I ever smoked by far. (this century, I have to go with DP White Widow as the best.)

Hey there GL4

Hello to you too!

I am thinking BPN Organic for the next run. So I hope you don't mind me tagging along.

Of course I don't mind. This is my first time using BPN nutrients. I went with the Two Part High Yield System - it seemed like a good way to get started.

I noticed you added Dark Star to the spread sheet that I didn't see in the first post.

I forgot that I added two into the mix to fill out 16 plants. I started with just 14. I have a Caramel Creme Auto that has also germinated. I will post a description of this version of these two seeds.

TH Seeds Darkstar is the latest variety to join our fleet is the devastatingly strong Darkstar. It is mostly Indica * Purple Kush x Mazar I-Sharif. This mega Indica not only grows ridiculously dense buds, but the potency is out of this world. Darkstar is a great plant for those seeking pain relief, appetite enhancement and other worldly activities. Darkstar is a dream to grow with its high calyx to leave ratio, making it a breeze to manicure. Darkstar cannabis seeds grow to a height of 120 - 140cm and produces a good yield. Flowering time takes 70 days. So grab some Darkstar today and begin your countdown to the launch.

Sweet Seeds Auto Cream Caramel New version of our Cream Caramel autoflowering. Result of crossing our best strains autoflowering with Caramel Cream. Automatic top quality, with dense buds and copious resin production, intense sweet earthy aroma, fast flowering, strong effect and great hybrid vigor. The r-evolution of autoflowering has come at the end of the flowering plants reach the same resinous and desirable than their sisters non-autoflowering. Technical Data Autoflowering 100% Indoor Yield: 350-500g/m2 Outdoor Yield: 35-100g/plant Indoor / Outdoor Harvest: 8 weeks from germination

Have you grown it before?

No - I have never grown this one before. I am striking out to find some new types of weed for this grow. Did a lot of research on the free seeds that I received from a 420 sale - and picked 14 of the 24. Because my DWC system has 8 openings and I am experimenting - I added two more to the mix.

I may not grow them all out though. The system works best with eight indicas of moderate height. For sativas, I definitely need to drop down to 4 plants - and if I was smart I would use a SCROG.

I have read a bit about it on some site that described someone getting seeds from a guy at the Khyber Pass used as the Afghan in the mix to create Dark Star.

That is the story that I have read - the Mazar l-Sharif is definitely from Northern Afghanistan.

About 15 or 20 yrs ago there was a strain around here called Khyber. At the time it was the best pot I ever smoked by far. (this century, I have to go with DP White Widow as the best.)

I am agreeing with you on WW - that is one great plant that has been around for a long time now. I still have my mother plant and will grow another set of WW once I am done experimenting.

I also have 4 that are a week from finishing in one of the tents - love the frosty white coating that develops during this time. These suffered root rot during their first week and never really recovered - but i am going to get about 30 grams per plant.

2nd Week Update - Nutrient Management

Ok... time for an update at the end of the 2nd week of seedling phase.

I have made a change to my nutrient management program. After a lot of research and careful thought, I have added the following to the mix:
IMG_20130528_024318_349.jpg

It is Dutch Master Gold Zone and the Silica product.

Gold Zone seems like a very good preventative maintenance product for any DWC or Ebb and Flow system. I will be using it from here on out for all grows.

I also switched to their silica product. The version that I was using had two forms of silicon available - one bound to Mg and one bound to Na. Because I live in the country - I already have a large amount of Na in the water - even after R/O. The Dutch Master blend is 100% Potassium Silicate - which means I am boosting my K and Si without adding Na.

I also changed my reservoir - and since I had all the plants out I took some individual pictures.

Here is the overview picture of the ebb and flow table:

IMG_20130528_021730_030.jpg

Grow Update - End of Week 2

Here are pictures (some blurry - I apologize) and some commentary on the original 14 plants.

Here is an update on the Green Poison. It was the first to germinate and was the largest... but lost that honor this past week.
IMG_20130528_022423_498.jpg

Here is an update on the Original Amnesia
IMG_20130528_022359_517.jpg

Here is an update on the Sour Diesel. Looking forward to this one.
IMG_20130528_022337_922.jpg

Here is an updated on the Silver Kush.
IMG_20130528_022315_914.jpg

Here is an update on the Darkstar. Had a little trouble getting this one to germinate - the first set of leaves are stunted. But it has picked up and put out a second set of leaves now.
IMG_20130528_022246_071.jpg

Here is an update on the WS 33. It came out with a seed hull stuck to it's head - looking great now!
IMG_20130528_022228_473.jpg

Here is the Sweet Tai. Growing great.
IMG_20130528_022213_139.jpg

Here is another G13 C99.
IMG_20130528_022157_538.jpg

Here is the GDP Bay 11. Another one that I am looking forward to harvest day on!
IMG_20130528_022130_955.jpg

Here is the G13 Cheese - a lot shorter and stockier than the BC Cheese.
IMG_20130528_022105_408.jpg

Here is the HJ 33. It has taken over as the tallest plant this week! I am impressed by the growth and structure on this one. An unexpected delight.
IMG_20130528_022035_227.jpg

The final 1 of 3 G13 C99s. They all look very similar at this point. Good Consistency!
IMG_20130528_021953_820.jpg

Here is the GDP Bay 11 - it is looking very healthy.
IMG_20130528_021908_898.jpg

Here is the Auto Creme Caramel. One of the last ones to germinate.
IMG_20130528_021839_796.jpg

Here is the BC Cheese.
IMG_20130528_021825_545.jpg

I realized that I made a mistake on the first seed schedule that I posted.

I didn't include the germination week. I wanted to have a germination week and then two seedling weeks. And in actuality - the germination week lasted only 4 days. I have some that were late in germination - but they seem to be doing fine using the same nutrient solution.

So officially, I am currently at the beginning of Vegetative Week 1 - though I admit some plants are lagging due to late arrival.

Here is the updated schedule:
Seed_Schedule_-_Final1.JPG

As you can see, the Sweet Tai is supposed to go into flowering at the end of this week. But I will likely give it two weeks of veg time as it is still small... unless it puts on a real growth spurt this week.

And the Darkstar is at least one week behind everyone else. It is really in Seedling Week 1.

Back
Top Bottom