Bagseed In Cabinet Under CFLs In Dirt

Howdy again! Starting a new journal, with new plants. Same cabinet, same lights (will likely be updated later on), same dirt, new container. Going to try and do a lot of things differently this run, as I think I was my own enemy during my last grow. Anywho, without further ado, let's get'r'dun.

To start, here's what I got and some tentative plans.
  • Medium: MG Organic Choice potting mix (from last grow) plus a little bit of unknown soil from a pot outside. In short, my medium is used soil.
  • Light: CFLs. Got a box of 12 (10, now) 2700k 23w CFLs, and a few 13w 6500k CFLs. Very soon, going to update the bluish lights to same as the reddish lights. I'd like 12 of each, red and blue, to use through the plants' lives. I want to make some sort of fixture to light up an array of at least 12 bulbs. Plus I want a few cheapy tubes for the cabinet corners. If there's anything I need a lot more of, it's light.
  • Ventilation: Here I'm trouble. I've got no filter yet, or ductwork, or inline fan, etc. Currently I have one 4" unshrouded fan sorta pushing air out of a vent near the ceiling, through a wall, into my living room, and a small, 3" fan blowing air around very weakly. Oh, and a couple of PC fans, which blow almost over the lights. I can add a ton more PC fans, as I got a killer 12VDC benchtop supply. I guess I could do 12V lighting and ventilation. Woah--12V automotive ventilation. I may be onto something there. Will get back to y'all on that.
  • Strain: Oh, the important one! LOL, sorry to say, I have no idea what strain these are. They're all bagseed from good dope.
  • Water: Unfiltered tap water.
  • Nutes: None yet, other than a big jar of molasses.
  • Container: #2 (9")

Okay, so to start, it was last week of June I stuck some seeds in the dirt in a pot outside. Three out of four popped. Two days ago (7/7) brought 'em in, and put them in a bigger pot. I reused the soil from my last grow. Not sure if I should have, but, the soil seemed healthy enough. I think. Anyway, stuck them on my bluish CF lights at 18/6, with a pair of reddish CFLs higher up in the cabinet, pretty much for extra light. I need to upgrade my blues to at least 23w each, and I want to make a big light array, that can hold and light at least 12 bulbs.

Ran out of ideas at the moment, of stuff to make note of. I'll be back if I remember what I was gonna write. lol. Here's a first pics:
100_35511.JPG
100_3545.JPG
100_35481.JPG

Re: Bagseed in cabinet under CFLs and in dirt

subscribed. i would separate your plants to different pots, more then one plant per pot is asking for trouble. with more then one plant per pot the roots for each plant all receive less space and will stunt each other, one will become dominant and outgrow and over shade the others.

Yeah, I agree with ya, but I'm a little scared of killing these little gals though. Was about 3 days ago that I put them in that pot. Think it'd be okay to transfer them again, so soon? Or would sooner be better in this case? So far, one in the middle (on the right in the pic above) looks the smallest, the one in the foreground in the above pic has reddish first leaves and stem, and the one in the back looks great, just small, and I think, younger by a day or so.

subscribed. yes you should have them in different pots otherwise looks good.. will be fun to follow. I have a small private cultivation of six plants 4 weak old whit 223 w so far. and replant as little as possible. planting them in the final pot now. good ride peace :) nature do not replant :)

Thanks for the advice. Going to separate them.

Got 'em separated. Got some more MG Organic Choice gardening soil. It ain't a potting mix, though. But it was cheap. Next up, better lights (thinking of going all metal halide on these plants asses; then I'd still need to get HPS, then). Will likely stick with 23w CFLs, and a whole bunch of lampholders, and make my own fixture. Anywho, some pics.
100_35522.JPG
100_35533.JPG

sub'd

Did you use any nutes on this used soil the first time? I would be careful with used soil and the salt tnds to build up and cause lockout later. If its 50% or more nw soil, you shouldnt have to worry about it too much.
Hope you dont mind if I tag along. :)

sub'd

Did you use any nutes on this used soil the first time? I would be careful with used soil and the salt tnds to build up and cause lockout later. If its 50% or more nw soil, you shouldnt have to worry about it too much.
Hope you dont mind if I tag along. :)

When changing pots, I went with new soil: MG Organics Choice Garden Soil (not the "Potting Mix"). Only a small amount around the roots (of the old soil) went into the new pots. And I know, I should have mixed this soil with what I'd call ballast or something. Something to make the soil drain easily, and allow air in.

Glad to have ya along, all of ya! Thanks for showing interest. Means a lot to me.

PS: Just got back from the shop a little bit ago, and sadly, did not get new lights. May be taking a short bike trip to HD this evening yet. :)

A little weirdness that is concerning me a little bit. But not enough to worry me yet. Should I panic? Going to go check out some stickied threads. BBL.
100_35572.JPG

Might be giving off too much heat, maybe. Surely not too much light, lol. That's a 13w CFL there, hehehe. I can raise the light a few inches. Best case purple will turn green again, worst case it won't. Or, it could be some wonderfully wacky purple plant, like the purple basil I'm growing outside (its first [and subsequent] eaves were straight purple). All really had to do was move the pots. Great idea, there, putting them each in their own pots, lol. Lights are farther away now, but off till 6am.

yeah those 13 watts will still give about 90-100 degrees which is too much for those little seedlings. Though, they are weeds and grow through the struggle. I had my first little closet grow and it ran at 110 degrees for a WEEK :( poor little girl of mine lived through it though.

you should add your grow journal to your signature so it is easy for other members to fins. to add your grow journal to your signature, go to top right, Settings>Settings, left hand side, My Settings>Edit Signature, copy the web address from your first page and paste it into the open window.

I think it already is in my signature. ;)

Update pic! :)

They're at about 19 days now, from seed. Or so. Give or take a few days, so I'm just gonna say 3 weeks old. I still need to upgrade my bluish lights, I know. And I'm thinking of going with a light-duty HPS (70-150w) for flowering. Might actually be able to afford it this time! I'm wanting to increase yield, and from what I've read here, HID's are the way to go. I still like CFL's though, and may yet go to big CFL's (150-200w). Most CFL wattage I've ran was 6*23=138w for flower, last run. I'd like to get more than a quarter zip per plant here this time, so anywho... The pics! Not much to look at yet, but they're keeping on keepin on.

100_35881.JPG
100_35831.JPG
100_3585.JPG

Im leaning towards a small HPS myself. My current grow is gonna tell me alot. Im currently at 260 actual cfl watts and plan to increase it to 306 when both of my girls flower. If the yield is not great Im making the switch I think.
Sprout is looking good sir. Good weed btw. :)

:thanks:

Right now I think I'm at only 102w of CFL. and 52 of those watts are two and a half feet above the plants. :( They're going slow, but when I woke up this AM, the little gal in front appears to have grown a bit. Or it could just be my imagination, or wishful thinking, or .... LOL. Took a pic last night and this AM, and I love how the leaves perk up in the light. :D

100_36011.JPG
100_36102.JPG

Back
Top Bottom