Pantagruel's 1st Indoor Durban Poison

Mike Wright

420 Support
420 Staff
Durban Poison - heirloom Sativa strainn
Indoor in soil
CFL lights
Organic soil/nutes

Starting this journal, the seedlings are 17 days old. Right now, they are in a small homemade growbox lined with white paper under a 42W and 26W CFL. There is a small fan blowing through some slots in the box and a sponge standing upright in a dish of water for humdity. Pretty low tech, but it is keeping the environment at a pretty stable 78 to 84 F and 35 to 50% humidity. When I transplant next week, I'll post further details.

Strategy

As I am away right now I have been doing a ton of reading on how to proceed.

I am undecided on topping. I can easily go to 5 feet, and a lot of folks seem to say don't top if you don't have to.

I think I will tie the branches down. I'm also going to try crimping. I will be pretty much going by feel, adding lights and reflective surfaces as needed to suit the plants. Right now the plan is to use a single overhead 4 foot T8 surrounded by CFLs, but that may change to 3 vertical T8 fixtures with a powerful CFL over each plant.

Not sure if I should be pruning the yellowing bottom leaves or just let the plant consume them until they fall off.

Filter113.jpg
Homemade fan/filter combo

Day234.jpg
Day 23, babies are in 3 gal pots and snuggled safely in their own room. Vegging 18/6 for at least 3 more weeks. It's a little cooler and damper here than upstairs - 75/65 - but I think a few more lights will cure that. Right under 2x32watt 4' fixture for now but I may switch back to cfls until they get a little larger.

Hmm. The plant on the left, which I have dubbed Alpha, has been smaller since the start. Conditions should be exactly the same, and it appears healthy enough, just a bit stunted, like maybe it is a natural dwarf. Currently it is 4.5 inches while Beta, on the right, is almost 7.5. I know most people don't want plants to stretch, but this is odd.

topping cloning

Alpha27days1.jpg

Decided to top the small plant. The first single serrated leaf is already gone, so I can only top after the third node to keep 2 full sets of leaves. I'll try to root the top.

I chickened out on the topping because the plant was so small. I'll wait until my next grow when I have three plants to try topping/cloning. Yesterday I started playing classical music to the plants and the small one shot up an inch, so maybe it is helping!!

I chickened out on the topping because the plant was so small. I'll wait until my next grow when I have three plants to try topping/cloning. Yesterday I started playing classical music to the plants and the small one shot up an inch, so maybe it is helping!!

Sub'd I am interested in growing this strain because my girl has been asking for a pure sativa and Durban poison is a pure land race...looking forward to watching your grow

Have you thought about lst instead of topping?

I was thinking of vegging to 18" tall but one of the plants is growing super fast so it may get bigger. Probably 2 more weeks.

I will tie down the side branches, and I have been crimping (I think that's why the one shot so far ahead). I want to see some big natural plants. I'll chop them next time.

Back
Top Bottom