TrysHard's Hydro Grandaddy Blueberry Indica Grow 2014

TrysHard

I started some other threads but after careful analysis I figure I should start a journal and then I can take everything to this post. So the beginning of this will be a repeat of my other posts but I'll try to add more detail.

Basic Info First:

Strain: Blueberry Indica 100%
How Many Plants? Started with 6 now have 5 1/5
Is it in Vegetative or Flowering Stage? Flowering Stage 10 days 4/5/14
If in Vegetative Stage... How Long? 4 weeks
If in Flowering Stage... How Long? 10 Days plan on 4-5 weeks for bloom.
Indoor or Outdoor? Indoor Ebb and Flow Hydro
Soil or Hydro? Hydro
If Hydro, Reservoir size? 20 Gal
If Hydro, Reservoir Temperature? 67 F
If Hydro, what type of Medium? Hydroton Clay Pellets
If Hydro, what type of Setup? Ebb and Flow
Size (Wattage) of Light? How Many? 1000 Watt HPS adjustable 2 48" Fluorescent Cool White
Is it Air Cooled? Yes
Temperature of Room/Cabinet? Day 79 F Night 67 - 70 F Have AC System for Air Intake
RH of Room/Cabinet? 45 -50
PH of Medium or Reservoir? 5.7
Any Pests? No
How Often are you Watering? Twice a day at 8 hours into each cycle for 30 min
Type and Strength of Fertilizers used? GH 3 Part with some additives using the GH chart as a first guide.
Size or Square Footage of Room? 4x4x72" Tent

My grow is not very stealthy but I am only growing 6 plants and I am a MM patient so its legal here.

I have a small apartment and I have eliminated the dining portion of my kitchen/dining room for the grow. I have been able to cram a surprising amount of equipment in a small area.

Here's the outside:
P4043725.JPG

Behind the cardboard is a 5000 BTU window AC unit. The cardboard helps direct the cold air into the tents inlets.
I make a custom exhaust collector out a tennis ball box. I lined the inside of the box with aluminum tape to make it last longer. In my old apartment the stove vent is just a hole in the ceiling so I hooked the exhaust up to that. Since the installation I can run my light at 1000W and keep the temp under 80F. Here what the A/C looks like:
P4043726.JPG

I bought these clones from a local Strain Bank. I am very happy with the quality of the clones and they were all successful. I started the grow on 2/26/14
P3093718.JPG

This was about two weeks ago when they were still in veg. They are at about the 3 weeks old in the following pictures:
You can see my Ebb and Flow controller reservoir and the plants are about 18" tall at this point but not very bushy. In my next grow I am going to move the controller out of the tent to get more grow room, same with the ballast and the exhaust fan control. Need to get all the power lines organized.
P3243724.JPG

My light and CF filter:
P3243722.JPG

Close up of the tops that I had FIM'd which is my best guess as to why some of the leaves are deformed.
I have also done a minimal super crop. I bent them over about 45 degrees. It does look to have many more exposed bud sites this way.
P3243723.JPG

P3233720.JPG

P3243721.JPG

On 3/26/14 the plants were 24" and I went to bloom 12/12: For nutrients I followed the GH chart on their website for the transitional phase week 4. Here is a link to the chart:

Feedcharts

After ten days of this feeding schedule they now look like this:

P4043728.JPG

P4043736.JPG

P4043735.JPG

P4043737.JPG

P4043734.JPG

P4043732.JPG

P4043730.JPG

P4043729.JPG

Today (4/7/14) I moved to the early bloom phase of the schedule and plan to do that for two weeks:

I am adding a Hydro Farms CO2 system in tomorrow and I just completed a mother and a pre veg station homemade style:
Home depot plastic storage rack 36"x26"x72". I took out one shelf to make a tall section, and started to attach cardboard around it to enclose the area. I found out you can't just screw the cardboard on, it rips out. So I came up with plastic washers made out of a milk bottle, worked perfectly. Here it is in the first stage:
P4053739.JPG

I sealed it up with aluminum tape:
P4053740.JPG

Here it is done with the door flaps open and the new mother already residing. She's little now. I am growing in Coco using the GH 3 part for nutrients.
P4053742.JPG

Here is a close up of the new mother:
P4053743.JPG

Hope you will follow my journal. I will make regular updates, probably in another week the plants and the mother will have developed farther. Any advice you can give would be appreciated. I have some experience, but I've read the shit out the internet!

Made some improvements today, added a high and low trellis and added the CO2 using the Hydro Farms System.
Plants are now two weeks into 12/12.
My plan on the CO2 is 15 min at .5 then two hours Fans off one hour fan on and repeat through light cycle.
P4063744.JPG

P4063745.JPG

P4063746.JPG

P4063747.JPG

Hey TrysHard!

Welcome to the forum! Looks like you are off to a great start :)

I am currently in my second grow and doing an DIY EbbnFlow system So far it's working really well. I am running an auto and a photo plant in the system. I also have two other autos in soil. The photo will veg until I harvest the autos and then I will flip it. Hoping to scrog the photo in flower to fill my tent with big buds. We'll see :)

My lights are running 18/6. I flood 5 times a day for 15min, 4 hours apart with an 8 hour dry spell. My flood cycle starts each day about 30 minutes after lights out. (I'm not sure of actual time as my lights and water pump are on different timers and neither timer is set to the correct time of day, just the intervals I wanted:)) They flood twice during the dark period and thrice during lights on. I like having the dry spell pretty much all in the lights on phase as it allows the media to really dry out and get some good air to the roots.

So far my setup is working really well the plants seems really happy and the photo is responding really well to some pretty hardcore training and defol!

Your grow looks great! Cant wait to see some big-ass buds!

Thank you. The CO2 has had an effect over the last couple of days. The buds are starting to get taller and meatier! I tried taking a picture to illustrate but the grow light is over driving the sensor on my camera and it hard to see detail with the light on. I'll taking some at the start of the dark cycle where I can use room light and a flash to take a picture and not mess up the plants day/night cycle.
Does anyone have a technique to take pictures with the lights on. How about shading the plants before taking there picture?

Tomorrow (Friday 4/11) will be two weeks exactly since I went to 12-12. Here is a picture of the bud. I would like to know if this is a typical size for two weeks or should I be changing nutrients or something. The CO2 is only be in operation for a couple of days so maybe I'm being anxious but this is the first grow I've personally baby sat. I shaded the plant before taking this picture I think it came out clearer. Just so you don't have to go back and look this up, its Blueberry indica from clones and using GH nuts.

P4083754.JPG

P4083753.JPG

Updated with this weeks pictures. I have now moved to the middle stage of bloom. Just changed nutrients to 2.5ml Grow 7.5Micro and 12.5Bloom. I also have been adding some florilicious plus at 1ml per gal. I have a 20 gal resv. I also did my first defoliation today, I can do more I think, (I would like your opinion), but thought I would do a little every day at the start of the light cycle. The plants have gotten a little taller, and the buds are thickening up nicely.

Overview:
P4143755.JPG

Some close ups:
P4143756.JPG

P4143757.JPG

P4143758.JPG

P4143759.JPG

All comments appreciated.

Here is some more info on the strain from the Strain Bank I got it from:
"Another popular Indica, theses genetics trace back a few decades making it very stable and easy to grow. The name comes from its blueberry aroma, as well as its northwestern temperature sensitive traits of turning purple during cold weather. The grow yield is considered above average with relatively compact plants.

The Blueberry nugs appear nothing like an actual blueberries; however, they're quite large and dense. Good frost is present and the dry leaves burn well for providing a good combustion. The smoke is smooth and known for an earthy tone.

Blueberry marijuana clones provide excellent muscle relaxation effects, and pain management, while the Indica traits addresses anxiety, depression, and serves as mild mood elevator. The ease of smoke and medium duration of the effects make Blueberry a popular choice for general medicinal use. "

I also just got in a small dehumidifier for the last couple weeks of bloom. Its an inexpensive home depot unit which should handle my little tent just fine.

I've learned a lot from this grow, and most of the info I needed I got from this forum. When I look at this picture I realize what a big mistake I made putting my control reservoir inside the tent. There is so much wasted grow space. Next grow I plan on putting as much as possible on the outside of the tent. I figured I lost a good 15% of my capacity this time.

P4143755.JPG

I hear you about keeping the res in the tent. I may try to move mine out once the auto is gone and I just have the one in hydro.

Plants look great thought. I think you'll have a pretty decent harvest!!

I hear you about keeping the res in the tent. I may try to move mine out once the auto is gone and I just have the one in hydro.

Plants look great thought. I think you'll have a pretty decent harvest!!

You have to keep the hoses low and level so I will have to cut some holes in the tent. If I plan right I will only have to cut them once! LOL
I should be able to spread the pots out evenly and train the plants better to take up the whole area. I plan on moving all electrical cords outside the tent also. I added the co2 after the plants were already growing good so stringing it up better is in the plan also. Thanks for the nice comments. I am retired so I have plenty of time so I am going to document some of the main colas and take pictures of them every twelve hours. One just after day begins and just before night. This will tell the difference in growth between day and night cycles.
Here are the starting pictures:

This first cola is developing nicely and starting to fill in.
P4163761.JPG

this is a previous day picture of it:
P4143758.JPG

Cola number two is the tallest plant in the back you can see it clearly in the overview pictures:
P4163762.JPG

Shaded picture kind of dark but you can see details:
P4163763.JPG

Previous day picture of cola 2:
P4143757.JPG

Cola three just starting to develop good one to track:
P4163765.JPG

I think it will be interesting to see them change. Today is day 21 of bloom.

More Comparisons:
Overview on 4/4 7 days into bloom:
P4043728.JPG

Overview 4/6 9 days into bloom:
P4063744.JPG

Overview 4/14 17 days into bloom:
P4143755.JPG

And today 4/18 21 days into bloom:
P4163772.JPG

The difference in just 4 days is remarkable!

Since I'm doing comparisons remember my little mother on 4/5:
P4053743.JPG

Here she is today:
P4163776.JPG

Happy 420 Day! Had to take some 4-20 pics for an timeline update:
Overview 4-20:
overview61.JPG

Cola 1
cola_1_3_.JPG

Cola 2
cola_2_3_.JPG

Cola 3
cola_3_3_.JPG

4-18 Cola 3
P4163765.JPG

I was having some issues with humidity, it was up to 92% so I installed a small dehumidifier and it has dropped to 60% RH.
When should the buds start showing trichomes up? Its three weeks into bloom should they be starting to get sparkly?

Not sure when they should start getting frost as I've only grown autos so far. I would guess she'll be getting some frost any day now. You'll go to look and there'll be a lot on there all of a sudden. like, "Whoa, where'd you come from?" sort of thing.

This is a cool journal, Try. Buds are fattening up nicely! You are going to have some good ass weed before you know it!

Not sure when they should start getting frost as I've only grown autos so far. I would guess she'll be getting some frost any day now. You'll go to look and there'll be a lot on there all of a sudden. like, "Whoa, where'd you come from?" sort of thing.

This is a cool journal, Try. Buds are fattening up nicely! You are going to have some good ass weed before you know it!

I hope they will soon, I checked out your journal Sweetleef, looking forward to seeing how project comes out.

I'm still having humidity problems when the lights are on exhaust fan is off and the CO2 is on temp 89F and RH 92%. Not sure what I can do about it, not sure if I need to do anything at this stage since I'm still a 5 weeks from harvest. I understand that getting humidity down during the last two weeks is the time to do it. I have checked the RH when the lights are on, the exhaust fan is going and the AC is on and it stays around 60% so I'm hoping in the last two weeks I can run the AC 24/7, no CO2 and run the exhaust fan 24/7. That way I can get a good differential in the day/night temps and lower them overall which the blueberry likes to get purple and bring the humidity way down since most of the air will be from AC 100% of the time. I'm hoping that simulating a natural winter will make these ladies frost up nicely.

New Pictures! :bravo:

You can see the trichomes forming now:

I guess its the old saying:
A watched pot never boils!

P4213794.JPG

That cola is gonna frost up nicely! It's gonna get all fat and stinky too! Nice work, sir;)
Thanks Sweetleef! :Namaste:
I had to reposition one of the colas and it felt heavy and sticky even though the trich's are still small.
I wanted to take some pictures with the light off and I took these just as the lights turned off. Being overly paranoid I only took three pictures and disrupted the cycle by less than a minute.
Overview: Man that empty space in the corner just kills me! :(
P4223799.JPG

Cola 1:
P4223801.JPG

Nice Group Picture:
P4223800.JPG

The pictures are larger in my gallery.

Back
Top Bottom