Budsyezbuds's First CFL Indoor Grow!

Budsyezbuds

Budsyezbuds first grow! Hello everyone this is my first time trying to grow cannabis and so far im ready and steady..

What strain is it? Unknown
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? N/A
Is it in Veg or Flower stage? Seedling
3 plants are 7 days old with 2 that are 2 days (All from seed)
Indoor or outdoor? Indoor
Soil or Hydro? Soil
If soil... what is in your mix? Topsoil, vermiculite, perlite, peat moss
Size of light? I have 3 75w 6500k daylight CFL's
Is it aircooled? Oh Yes
Temp of Room/cab? 77-79f
RH of Room/cab? N/A
PH of media or res? N/A
(Ph and Rh monitor in the mail on the way)
How often are you watering? Once a day due to peat cups, 2-3 times a week in veg/flower
Type and strength of ferts used? Fox Farm Tiger Bloom, Big Grow, Big Bloom

This is where I start for anyone who will listen to my story. After many months of thinking and reading about cannabis cultivating I wanted to finally try my hand at it and see if I could stop having to pay for something that grows naturally. I had seeds from previous nugs that i bought at a painful price. I usually throw the seeds out but that particular strain made me feel so good I had to save it. I also save more after that from another source but I cant remember what the strain was or felt like. So I am starting with at least 2 different unknowns.

Last Thursday night I got so very motivated to try and grow it so I started with 3 seeds out of the 5 I gathered and used the '24hr soaking in water' germination method. After that I realized that I had no plan for the poor seeds and needed supplies...i.e a growbox!! That night I went out to Walmart and bought a plastic tube, car window reflector, thermometer, and cfl lights. I went to work that evening and built a small growbox for the little seeds to have an environment. I also went to HD that day and spent hours trying to find a proper soil from them. All of the Miracle grow organic soil mixes were gone and I settled on a brand that I really didnt want but it actually is turning out to be ok. The name of it is 'Organics Vigoro: Organic potting mix' and I got it at Home depot. The next day I felt bad and wanted a better soil so I went out to a nursury and got a mix of perlite, top soil, peat moss, and vermiculite. I checked on the seeds that friday evening and I saw they were very ready and put them in the Vigoro soil inside of a peat cup. I have heard good and bad things about those things but I figured I would give them a try. So that is where my journey begins....

I have pictures of my setup. Im also currently in the middle of building their permanent residence and have pictures of that. It is my homemade grow tent that is still under construction. I used PVC pipe and bed sheets as the fabric. I also installed a fan on the side. I still need to made the door but im waiting to get paid again.

Week 1
-------------------------

So tomorrow (Friday) will mark 7 days from seed to now and they have had some ups and downs but they seems to be coming back. I do however have one that I think is dying. I think its cotyledon accidentally got burned on one of the lights earlier this week. This was one of my strongest out of the gate and now he looks like he/she is dying. I dont know what to do. As a newbie I let it get too hot in there on Tuesday and they were all three looking like they were going to die as they laid there wilted and turned away from the light. I then turned the fan on and cut my A/C on a little lower and watered them and then a few minutes later they were doing great.The next morning I put more soil around the base and put some nice fresh air on them and I also added an exhaust fan and two of them have been doing great every since. As day 6 fades I can already see their 2nd set of leaves coming in and im so excited. Here are pictures and I will update often as these plants are all i think about. I want my own bud so bad. Until next time....

photo4101.jpg

This is my seedling growbox i put together for about 35$. The plants seem to like it.

photo1-1.jpg

I had to move the fan back because i noticed it was too strong to be directly on them

photo2110.jpg

Inside

photo3108.jpg

Day 5 for my current champion

photo3-1.jpg

Day 6: Champion and my last seed of the 3 to sprout are doing very well
(champion is the one that was laying over when she got heat stressed)

photo4-1.jpg

Day 6: Beautiful...i hope they are female

photo5-1.jpg

Day 6: This is my little trooper that got burned by the light. He is looking pretty weak and not showing any growth, I think he is in shock still. I feel so bad and I hope he pulls through. or she! :yahoo:

photo5100.jpg

photo2-11.jpg

Finally this is the grow tent I am working on. This cost about 15$ to mke but im still building on it so it might ending up totaling to something higher.

--------------------------------------

Thank you for reading. Peace.

Re: Budsyezbuds's.. first CFL indoor grow!

Youll want to increase your bulb#.

I try to use at least 100w for each plant in Veg, and 150w for each plant in Flower. (Currently using 365w for 2 flowering plants)

You'll want to keep the bulbs within 1-3" away from the top of the plants, and to take advantage of CFLs you might have much better results if you train your plants to grow with a flat even canopy, instead of growing tall.

Take some time to read through this thread: How to Grow Marijuana Everything You Need to Know

It's a huge topic filled with virtually every question you need answered about your first grow. Reading through the topics there will give you a huge head start on your grow, but it's a ton of info all at once, so it'll help to bookmark it so you can easily refer to it again when you have questions. I'm on my 2nd grow now, and I still go back to that topic to learn more.

Thanks for the tips Antics. I have been doing research for a while now but im restricted by my budget so I have to wait on some things.

I think im going to do my main updates weekly and do small quick updates in-between. So my next update will be Friday Aug 8th, 2014

Ok here is a quick check in update...

Today marks the 8th day for the little plants from seed. Overall they seem to be settling into their new found existence and growing. They are growing a little slow but I think that is because of my light situation. I moved the lights closer yesterday and they are now about 3 or 4 inches away. I am going to get more lights soon, as I will be transferring them to their new grow tent home in a week or two. There have been two newcomers..some seeds that I started late. Thats all for now, here are some pics.

photo1116.jpg

photo4-2.jpg

This is the little one that got burned by the lights, I woke up this morning and see some new growth! This one is bouncing back.
My new hygrometer will help me keep them alive too.

photo2-2.jpg

Here is a picture of my two oldest and strongest. Champion on the right and ol' steady on the left.

I am currently giving them water once every day and 1/2

Quick update....

All my plants died...jk they are doing great except 1. When I woke up this morning I noticed the little guy that got burned by the light has not grown at for about 3 days now. This guy is apart of the original 3 and the seedlings that I planted 4 days after are already bigger than him. I think it might be the end of the line for that one unfortunately. I feel bad but it was a newbie mistake. (noted: Dont place the lights so close to a newly sprouted seedling!!)

In other news, I woke up this morning to a seedling that was bent 90 degrees. This happened to me once before and it was the seedling that got burned by the light but I know for a fact this is not the case this time. I think it simply needed water. I did not water it for about 1 day and it is in that tiny peat cup that dries out fast so hopefully that is the problem.

Here are some pics of the little guy...

photo1-2.jpg

:icon_roll :icon_roll

photo2-3.jpg

This was just a quick update on the seedlings....

Next full Week 2 update coming soon...

My little guy is ok now, he is standing straight up so....(noted: give water to seedlings in tiny peat moss cups daily). Oh and I forgot to mention that this one has 3 cotyledon and his first set is a trio lol. I hope i get a bigger yield because of this...

Week 2

-----------------------------------------------------------

Today now marks the end of week 2. At this point right now I know for a fact im doing something wrong because even though they show growth it is very small and slow. The two biggest were transplanted around Tuesday due to those freakin peat cups drying out so fast. I saw the leaves starting to curl, so to rule out underwatering and room/space issues I transplanted to bigger pot and watered. The next day after both had their leaves straight out and looked very healthy but now the curling is back. The little guy that was burned by the light is gone and it is down to 4. My 2 youngest are doing just ok, im not sure why they are growing slow and the 2 set of leaves are very much curled down even though I just watered. Im thinking it might be a root room issue or a humidity problem but im not sure. If it is a humidity problem Im not sure how to fix it for no money. My humidity usually stays at 51%.

The plants just do not look good and I can tell if I dont change something it will get worse. The leaves are small and curling....im so frustrated. The problem lies with im not sure what to do....my lights are close i have ventilation, water, nutes are waiting for week 4. My mind is boggled. They look around the same size/height as last week. The soil in my two biggest has been moist for about 4 days now and im not sure when to water again.

My homemade Grow Tent is almost done but im afraid I wont have any plant to put in there. I have installed my lighting fixture for it and it looks great. I still need to install the door/flap and the exhaust system.

Everything looks bad but im not giving up.

Here are some pictures and thanks for reading peace.

photo3-3.jpg

Biggest plants with curling 3 set leaves...

week29.jpg

Slow to grow...

photo1-3.jpg

photo4-3.jpg

Champion

======================================================

photo5-2.jpg

Here is the 2nd biggest...

photo2-5.jpg

This is the pitiful size of my plant after 2 weeks

photo1-4.jpg

==================================================
photo3-4.jpg

photo4-4.jpg

Curling leaves..

photo5-3.jpg

This guy seems to be doing ok

I just planted my first seeds (1h ago) and I will be using around 200w CFL. To bad your plants are growing so slow. Hope you find out the problem. Subscribed! :)

Haha wow thanks ThaiSkunk, I was in a panic over it this morning and trying to research but now I am calm because they are still somewhat healthy and thats whats matters the most. So now im looking for solutions and I should be able to get over this hump.:thumb:

The last time I watered was Late Monday/Tuesday and I have not watered since. When in peat cups i water about every day and 1/2. As far as budget I dont have the money to buy more lights right now. I also need future things like fert and ph testers.

Youll want to let the top of the soil become totally dry before you even think about watering again.

And after that, you want the moisture level inside the pot to decrease a lot. A lot of growers will go by feel, by lifting their pots when dry, and when wet, and getting a feel for when to water that way.

I use a moisture meter in addition to that method.

Nutes are needed around 3-4 weeks usually in a soil grow.
When lights are needed will basically depend on plant size.

PH testers should be on hand almost immediately (in case problems show up) but really need to be available when you start feeding nutes.

And you'll need a good microscope, or loupe 40x minimum, 60x preferred to properly harvest your Cannabis, as you can't go by pistil color.

Quick update.... So for anyone following along, it turns out 3 of my plants are suffering from over-watering and 1 has some root-rot symptoms (i.e.. yellowing of leaves, slowed to no growth). Tho one plant that is doing fine is my 3 cotyledon seedling. All theothers have the curled leaf look.

The cause of all of this was I had a soil that was too much part topsoil and so it was not draining/drying properly. This was a costly lesson as that soil was the cause of 3 seedlings maybe dying.

As of now they plants suffering from over-watering/soggy soil have been replanted and they are now drying. I have a fan on them to help and I have not watered them since last week as the soil is still moist and drying. There has been little to no growth in the 3 sick plants as they are still in shock from being transplanted. I will water all of them 2 or 3 days from now once I know the roots are able to get oxygen again. I have more seeds in the mail that are very great strains and I dont want to mess those up. So i guess if I had to learn with any seeds...these were the seeds for it.

M next weekly update is Friday. Stay tuned.

Week 3

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is my week two update for those still following along.

You might be wondering why exactly I didnt update on Friday and the answer is simple....I was so sad by my failure with watering that I didnt even want to continue but I thought about how this can maybe help someone in the future.

The last time I updated I was complaining about how I over watered and wasnt sure if they would make it and the answer is yes. They are currently Stable. Due to me over watering my plants, growth slowed to almost a halt as they were dealing with transplant shock and the overwatering recovery. As mentioned before my plants had to be removed from the pot as after about 3 days the soil was still soaked. Around the time I was suppose to update I was way too sad about the state of my plant as they did not grow since week 2 ended. This week is really my week 3 simply because my plants have resumed growing! :blunt:

So starting from that, my plants are doing good. Champion is recovering quite nicely as the leaves are back to being straight and I also see new growth as a new set of leaves are starting to grow(I can tell this strain is forgiving). The second largest is still taking the time to heal as his transplant was a little more traumatic but it has started some new growth. The last two seedlings that I started are doing good but are recovering from overwatering also as I took the weak looking seedling as being thirsty..newbie mistake. Every plant in general is okay and im going to start giving nutes around Thursday or Friday (Week 4 update). I received my Fox Farm Fert (Grow Big) in the mail yesterday and Im going 1/4 strength for my first round of fertilization. Other than that this up date is done.

I just got my new seeds in the mail and im very very excited to grow these in the next grow. Here are the strains I have...

Some Of the Strains

Super Lemon Haze - So excited!
Barney's L.S.D - Whoo!!
Super Silver Haze
World of Seeds Amnesia
Mango

Im not going to grow all these at once from fear of myself but I am going to start the SL Haze and the Mango or LSD....

Pictures are coming now...

photo1-7.jpg

This was around Friday at the end of the official week 3, As you can see
the leaves are curled and she is still recovering from being transplanted.

photo2-8.jpg

Throughout this whole ordeal this plant has been patient and forgiving and I can tell it wants to live very much.
Im glad I transplanted when I did because if not they would have been dead as that soil just would not drain properly.
I redid my soil mix the 3rd day i saw them deteriorating and the soil was still soaked. This time I only added 1/3 of the amount of top soil I first added and I added a bit more perlite and peat moss. They seem very stable in this soil as their health has been getting noticeably better.

photo3-7.jpg

The 3 cotyledon seedling, i almost killed this one too.

photo4-7.jpg

All these pictures are still Friday...

photo1-6.jpg

photo2-7.jpg

Was still in transplant shock and had 0 growth at this time. You will also notice brown/purplish leaves but in later pictures you will
see the new growth.

photo3-6.jpg

==================================================================
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
==================================================================

Ok this is today...

photo4-6.jpg

This little one has bounced back and started new growth, I dont expect the damaged leaves to go back to normal after some reading
i did about how..the plant is focusing on new growth.

download38.jpg

these two pics are champion by the way...looks bad i know but the stem is very sturdy and this weed wants to live baaaaad

photo1-5.jpg

Youngest...growing well

photo2-6.jpg

Over watered this guy...smh....you think i would have learned...but I definitely got it now.

photo3-5.jpg

Hard to see but new growth is there...

photo4-5.jpg

See! Right there.

photo5-4.jpg

Thats all folks...

Back
Top Bottom