Grape Ape - 2000W - Swick Watering

Time For A New Batch:

STRAINS: grape ape

INDICA/SATIVA: Indica Dominant

HOW MANY:6

VEG/FLOWER: vegging 30 days flowering 60 days

IN/OUT: indoor grow

SOIL/HYDRO: soil

SOIL: 3 cu ft Roots! organic soil, 3 cu ft sphagnum peet moss, 2 cu ft chunky perlite, x2 perfect soil mix from KIS organics and 3 lbs vermicompost

LIGHTS: 2-1000 watt HPS, 2-600 watt metal halide for vegging (2 LED shop lights at first)

NUTES: a water only grow with some kelp foliar feed every week

ROOM: 4x8 half of shed

IMG_284510.jpg

the 6 from left to right are Grape Ape and i have 2 Punto Roja and 2 Champagne

IMG_281513.jpg

IMG_28168.jpg

IMG_281411.jpg

What is Swick watering?
using perlite as a wicking medium the plants will sit in 5 gallon cloth bags and will draw only the water they need from the perlite/water res below.

i framed a box 5 feet long and 1 foot wide and 1 foot deep, i lined the inside with plastic and filled the box with 2.5 bags of 2 cu ft chunky perlite. i will also fill the garden bed with water to within one inch from the top of the perlite. once ive transplanted into the cloth bags they merely sit on top of the perlite and draw water from below. (see sweetsue's grow for more pics and examples).

What is Grape Ape?
Grape Ape is an Indica-dominant hybrid of the Mendocino Purps strain, Skunk #1, and an Afghani landrace.
The combination of the Mendo Purps and Afghani strains is known to bring about an intense body melt. That makes it ideal for patients suffering from insomnia or chronic pain.
However, Skunk #1 is a Sativa-dominant strain that tends to pass on an uplifting cerebral effect. This is somewhat true in the case of Grape Ape, but it tends to be outweighed by the heavier effects caused by the Mendocino Purps and Afghani strains.

GOAL
So with the KIS perfect soil mix and the Swick watering combined im hoping to do as little interfering as possible while still producing amazing herb:welcome:

DAY 19 VEG

Decided to trans-plant today, they were beginning to look root-bound and hungry.

Also decided to make a small scale swick table to fit on my metal shelf.

18x44x3
IMG_29088.jpg

One of my plants has super-mutant growth, any ideas?:
IMG_290713.jpg

IMG_290914.jpg

the perlite is 3" deep and water level is at 1.5"

DAY 22 VEG

the swick tray has been working great! it could be deeper though as i have to re-fill it once or twice a day. the plants love it! the soil has a damp sponge look and feel and is bouncy to the touch like a sponge as well

image26720.jpg

DAY 27 VEG

plants are absolutely loving this swick and soil blended method! they are in "go" mode and i have not watered with any food! every monday i spray a kelp foliar feed and thats all.

IMG_307313.jpg

IMG_307411.jpg

they are out growing the current space so i will let them absorb the current water level then transfer them to my larger room and get them under MH lights

DAY 30 VEG

just switched rooms but they are not in flower yet! not until roughly 32".

i will transplant into 5 gallon bags whenever i decide they are close to being root bound

IMG_310011.jpg

IMG_31199.jpg

spotted some spider mites but i sprayed the hell out of em with SNS mite killer. ive won battles with it before.

Good question but no, the soil maintains a damp sponge consistency and because there is no watering from above it doesn't pack down the soil allowing it to maintain adequate spacing for oxygenation. If you have ever used rapid rooter plugs, that's almost exactly what the soil feels like.

DAY 39 VEG

plants are showing tons of beautiful pearly white roots coming out the sides and bottoms of the grow bags so i decided it was a good time to transplant. did not bother to remove them from the 1 gallon pots, instead just put them right into the 5 gallon pots where they will finish.

IMG_318710.jpg

IMG_318812.jpg

IMG_31899.jpg

IMG_31909.jpg

IMG_31927.jpg

DAY 43 VEG

had to top the sativas because they were almost 19" and the grape ape is around 16"
the new bags are working great and roots are spreading quickly!

IMG_32108.jpg

This is grape ape:
IMG_32094.jpg

Punto Roja:
IMG_32086.jpg

Happy Ladies:
IMG_320711.jpg

DAY 7 FLOWER

im raising the lights 4 inches a day with these sativas! almost at the roof... might need to tie em up, we will see.

9.5" long & 9" long
IMG_338110.jpg
IMG_33806.jpg
IMG_337910.jpg
IMG_33786.jpg
IMG_33776.jpg
IMG_33767.jpg

Some BHO i made, this is before vacuum purge
IMG_334611.jpg

Back
Top Bottom