BeaverIslander's First Combo Grow - Grand Daddy Purple - PainKiller XL - Blue Blood

Curly Beaver

Thanks to all who have helped me get to the starting line today.. I will recap what I have been gathering the last couple of weeks.
I am germinating 7 seeds at the moment, hoping 6 will make it. All are feminized except the 2 Afghanies.
These are what I have picked out for my first grow:
Grand Daddy Purp
Jack Herer (Green House)
Northern Lights (Royal Queen)
Ice (Nirvana)
Afghani regular (Herbies freeby) X 2
Delahaze (paradise) (Herbies freeby)
The room is 3.5'x8' but actual work area is 3.5x5., walls and ceiling are covered with Mylar. The light is a single Mars Hydro 96x3 reflector light. Got a 440 fan and carbon filter from Growace.com. Soil is Fox Farms Ocean Forest, PromixBX and Perlight ---equal parts that will go in 5 gallon Smart Pots. Nutrients - Fox Farm Trio - Grow Big, Big Bloom and Tiger Bloom. That's all I can think of for now. I did nick each seed with a blade and soaked them in room temp water till they sank, then put them in 3" pots with saran wrap and a rubber band around each individual cup.
Probably way to much info for a opener but it's about as complete as I can be for now.
My first question on this thread is: when they start popping how close should I put them to this L.E.D. light. Thanks again for the help.
Beav

someone will correct me if im wrong hopefully but i think there is a minimum distance required for the different spectrum diodes to cross blend ??

And now, let's see if I know enough to post my first pic.
Day_One.jpg

It's only been 26 hours and I keep sneaking in there with a lil flashlight hoping to see green. It's funny what a difference the years make........ I used to look at seeds like they were a P. I. T. A. but now I can't get over how awesome they are. Fingers crossed!

It's been 3.5 days and I have a Grand Daddy Purp popping up this morning. I did not have a light on overnight but it is under the Mars Hydro 96X5 now. It's pale but I'm pretty sure I can see some green under the seed shell. Hopefully that light will bring on the green.
For day one (at least the first couple of hours) I set the LED 42" up. Sound OK?
Grand_Daddy_Purp.jpg

Sooooo, I guess I'm a dad!

Not sure if I have a problem already or not.....The first set of leaves have appeared and they are yellow from the tips to about 1/2 way down. I have not watered at all, but the soil is damp. I did put it under the light.....35" up. Should it be closer or isn't this a light issue?

Ha-ha, yeah, they're pretty gross that first couple of days. Thanks for the reassurance. It's 79 degrees in there and the L. E. D. is now at 35". The soil is still damp so I won't touch it.

Only 1 out of 7 have popped up after 5 days. The Grand Daddy Purp is looking good, the initial yellowing of the first leaves have mostly turned green, just one small tip is still yellow. HOWEVER....I very gently started pulling back the soil to see if anything was going on with the freeby seeds and could not even find them. Then I did the same with the other seeds and they evidently rotted away as well. I am guessing I had the soil too wet and they just rotted away. Sound possible? I am going to germinate the other free ones and the PainKiller XL in a damp paper towel in a baggy and try my luck that way. Worse case scenario is suddenly everything pops up, I would love to have to deal with that problem but it is doubtful after 5 days. Expensive lesson........

Personally I germinate by placing the seeds in a cup of warm water for anywhere from 12-24 hrs until they sink and stay on the bottom. This means that they are saturated. I then place then in wet paper towels and give them anywhere from 12hrs - 7 days to pop the tap root. All the while keeping the papertowels moist and warm. Then if I tap root is ever seen I immediately place in soil, if no tap root after a week, usually it never does sprout. I was 100% with 6 bagseed this grow and have had great success with it in the past. Just my 2 cents.

Personally I germinate by placing the seeds in a cup of warm water for anywhere from 12-24 hrs until they sink and stay on the bottom. This means that they are saturated. I then place then in wet paper towels and give them anywhere from 12hrs - 7 days to pop the tap root. All the while keeping the papertowels moist and warm. Then if I tap root is ever seen I immediately place in soil, if no tap root after a week, usually it never does sprout. I was 100% with 6 bagseed this grow and have had great success with it in the past. Just my 2 cents.

I took them out of the bowl/baggy and put them in a cup of room temp water, they sunk like a rock so I put them back in the towel/baggy.

The Grand Daddy Purp has made it 6 days and looking good. As I mentioned in a previous post I think I had the soil way to wet and killed off everything else before they even had a chance. Looking ahead, I have 4 more seeds germinating but do not want to repeat that mistake. I do have some GroDan Starter Plugs but I'm not sure if that is the answer. I am leaning towards just putting them in soil again with lesson learned. Any thoughts as to soil or the plug? Also, should I be thinking about adding any neuts for the GDP? I have the Fox Farm Trio lined up, but it seems pretty early to me. When should they start being fed? It is warm here right now and my temp is running 77 to 80 degrees, humidity is around 65%, I am not running a fan yet, the LED is on 18, off 6. Any and all suggestions are welcome as my tail is between my legs. I obviously spent too much time researching the grow room and too little on germination. Thoughts please.....

From what I've read, ffof has plenty of nutes to carry your young ones for a while. I saw one grow that didn't use any until flipped to flowering. Bare in mind, all second hand info; I'm an FNG too. Maybe one of our gurus will float across shortly.

Back
Top Bottom