3x300W LED, Purple Kush, Scrog, Soil, Grow

b0rker

After an original starter grow that lasted from April through Sept with numerous ups and downs (the web is full of useful and NOT so useful information) I yielded around 2-5oz (it's still curing) so I'm happy. what next? Well this grow of course ;)

I'm hoping with posting along the way with this grow that I not only gain useful information from the community but I also give something to it as well.

So to start, here is the base.

Lighting consists of
1 - Apollo 300w (100x3w LEDs)
2 - Apollo 300w (60x5w LEDs)
My original plan was to go with 2 of the 100x3w but since the model was discontinued for the 5w, I opted for 2 of the newer model (along with the original) for total coverage. I added the 2 new towards the end of the flower on my last so I am excited to see how having all three from the start will go. I opted for LED's for a few reasons.. but mostly because I'm a geek and enjoy anything LED :cheesygrinsmiley:

All will be in an Apollo 48"x24"x60" tent which was perfect for my original 3. I keep the apartment smelling (or not rather) with an iPower 4-Inch Inline Carbon Air Filter. I also circulate the inner air with a 10" oscillating fan

20150914_212851.jpg

(only one led is on here just getting it set up. Also since taking this photo I've opted on smart pots not the plastic ones shown here)

For containers I'll be starting in solocups graduating to 1g and transplanting into 3g final. My first run I had better yields from 2 1gallon pots than I did in a 3g. but as there were many factors at play, I can't really know say it was here or there.

For Nutrients I'll be using the same as I did before. GH Flora Series with a Cal Mag and Pro-tekt Silicon.
I honestly have no idea if the Silicon supplement helps, I just used it in the last and went with it. Any insight on this would be appreciated.

For soil I'll be using a Fox Farm Ocean / Happy Frog / perlite combo. I've read multiple mixed reviews on starting in FF so will be fun to see how it goes. Once I get germination and ratio I'll post an update

For strain I'm going to be using 3 Purple Kush Fem seeds.

In the last grow, I would carry pots around to water and it became a pain, especially when they got into flower. not only from the buds sticking to the gnat traps but also my head several times.. pulling them from your hair is not fun ;p this time around I'll be using a lifted type setup where I can water and remove excess from lower runoff tubs. I'll also be trying the scrog method. I've got the base somewhat done, but after seeing it, I'm going to insert some dowels into the PVC and use screws rather than eyelets for more taught support. But as that's not going to be used for a few weeks it's not that important.

I'm not sure if PK will be good in this type of setup.. but here goes!

I'm germinating the same way I did before, seeds inside wet paper towels in darkness. Started them lastnight (9/15/15) and hoping for some activity when I get home.

20150915_173234.jpg

20150915_173254.jpg

20150915_173345.jpg

cheers!

First!! omg!!! Nice sounding strain aswell... let me get comfty.
You know with me I tend to give each plant 3 litres while in flower n what makes it thru the pot into the saucer is soaked back up within 20 mins so theres no need for me to worry about run off. Ofcourse I have to remove them for flushing in the bathroom. I feel youre pain with the gnat traps lol

Yeah, as soon as they split and show a little root they are ready to pot. Don't need a big long root to pot them up. Root down and let them ride.

In the Dirt!

This evenings update.. brought to you in part by George.. who is thinking.. “here we go again.. is that a string!?” For the record.. working with strings and ratchet hangers is nearly impossible when there is a feline stalking you from behind.

now.. onto the good stuff.

I was always curious how the roots looked during this stage.. so I solved that with a box cutter, nips and packing tape. Solo Cups with a view!

As I’ve worked mostly with PPM on figuring out when to fert my last grow I figured I’d start the same to see what exactly what this HF and OF soil has to offer. One solo cup each of dry soil. I watered each, took a reading. Let set. Watered again and took another reading (of run off water that is). Here’s my results.
HF First RO: 847 ppm
HF Second RO: 1090 ppm

OF First RO: 937 ppm
OF Second RO: 1000 ppm

Also my Tap comes out at around 224ppm and 7.5ph so I drop a dropper of ph down in which lowers to 6.3-6.5 depending on the dropper squeeze.

So from what I can see.. both are equally nutritious.. the OF is somewhat more strong but I’m sure it all comes down to what’s in it more than PPM.. but was a fun way to waste 20 mins ;)
So for the mix ratio I decided to work with both. I did
2part OF (2 solo cups)
2part HF (2 solo cups)
1part Perlite (1 solo cup)
Which is more than enough to fill 3 solos.. remainder will go into transplant mix.
Respectfully each of the ladies will be named Juanita, Latrelle and Noleta. Kudos to any of you that get the ref ;)

Upon covering I gave a final water and reading. Run off was 1090ppm

Now they go into the grow tent with a 5am - 11pm (18/6) light time. they're 11-12” under the single 100x3w LED as seems silly to run 3 LEDS at this stage.. $$ can be put else where ;) which brings me to another info part.

my run costs. Here’s the run down of how these puppies run (at least for me)

During the last grow my power bill didn’t go up but maybe $10-20 per period (USD)

A solo 60x5w LED runs at 136watts and 2 of them run at 262watts
The 100x3w LED runs at 179watts
All LEDs together pull 440watts
The Fan / Filter pulls 58.6watts (running around half power)
All together it pulls 495watts

here are some final shots.. I've removed the scrog grid as you can see and yep.. that's a camera.. hopefully the time lapse starts working correctly and I'll be able to post some of those shots too.. what can I say.. I'm a geek ;)

Remember that roots don't like light, so your peek a boo cup may not be the best idea. You will get a nice view of the roots whenever you transplant into bigger containers.

this is why I'm posting here.. helpful advice like this! ;) I'll pop these cups inside some others and use the peep holes when I lift them out to see where they're at.

20150917_232157.jpg

and cups in cups I have. thanks for the heads up!

2 of the 3 seeds have showed their heads. the seed with the smallest tal
IMG_9974.JPG

Did not pop up. so I dug out the seed and the white tail was gone. My best guess is the tail wasn't long enough to take root in this soil.

I've started another germination to replace. And this time I'll wait till the root looks more like the others before seeding up.

Here's some photos of the two others.

20150920_221420.jpg
20150920_221416.jpg
20150920_221412.jpg

I also kept the lights on 24/7 during this seed stretch.. but have since moved to the 18/6hrs. The soil when I got home 3days after first watering was bone dry.. upon watering the soil shrank down.. which was obvious why.. but the seeds look great. the RO PPM was around 760.. so all is running smoothly aside from one not taking root.

Back
Top Bottom