Smoky's Grow - 1st Timer - Need All The Advice I Can Get

Smoky da bear

Hey guys. This is my first real grow. I've doddled with it before but never really gotten devoted to success like I intend to be. I'll need advice from beginning to end probably.

The genetics of the seeds I have is unknown. I do know for a fact that they are from some high grade stuff and not some bricked up bs.

I have a 2.5'x3.5'x9' closet that will have a 300w full spectrum led (actual supposed draw is 134) that does NOT have a flower/veg switch.

Starting in a solo cup and potting soil to sprout, then moving up little by little (I guess) to what I imagine will be a 3 gallon pot.

I intend to have 3 plants in the space I mentioned.

Idk much at all about the science behind all this. Light spectrums, pH levels, soil composition, nutes, ferts are all basically foreign languages to me. Any help is tremendously appreciated.

Rifleman can you tell me if the flower/veg switch on an led light is neccesary? Does it do anything other than conserve energy?

I would not worry about running a full spectrum light. I only have full spectrum LED panels and just ordered 2 more without a switch.

Ok. Few questions here. I have some 2 year old miracle gro potting soil that's been stored in the dry and dark. Is that OK to use? Can I start my germinated seed in a solo cup with dirt and a regular ol cfl bulb from my lamp? And how long do I need to wait before I start to top and use nutes and ferts?

I tried to answer your LED question in your other thread.

Is that the Mars 300 that is really 130W, or is it a true 300W from the wall? The little Mars 300 won't cover it. I'd say it might work for a single plant, but it really only covers about 1.5 feet.
The bloom switch usually adds some red spectrum. I'd run all LEDs for both veg and bloom as long as you can control the heat.

Ok. Few questions here. I have some 2 year old miracle gro potting soil that's been stored in the dry and dark. Is that OK to use? Can I start my germinated seed in a solo cup with dirt and a regular ol cfl bulb from my lamp? And how long do I need to wait before I start to top and use nutes and ferts?

Havent been to walmart lately, or for dirt in ages. Look for a basic seedling soil/mix without added nutes, no slow release.
Something with alot of peat moss and/or perlite would be nice.

Edit: local garden supply store? Theyd have what you want. Even something cheap..

Hello,
It is great to see the excitement of getting ready for that first indoor grow. That being said, everyone will tell you that the number one reason new growers have problems is over watering. While over watering is a biggie, I believe it really is not being patient. See when your not patient you over water, but it also covers other things besides over watering. Being patient about a lot of things, for example growing what your set up will cover and not spending time and resources on more then what your capable of growing from veg to flower.
I agree whole heartedly with Major Pita that that one light will cover one plant and thats it. And depending on how big you let it get before flowering it may not be big enough for that. Since it is only pulling 134 watts at the wall it will not penetrate down deep into the plant like say a 325 at the wall watt LED would. Combined with 2 fixtures you will be at 264 total watts of light. Now does that mean you can't grow good MJ. By no means am I saying that, but if you want to have a good successful grow might I be so humble as to suggest you grow 2 plants your 1st go and veg them to about 16 to 20 inches tall then flip them to flower. Do a few toppings per plant to get more tops, do that early in veg, then go slow and steady till time to harvest.
I suggest this to you for one reason only. Like everyone else who is here, I want you to have the 1st of many successful grows. I love seeing how others grow and with each grow I and everyone else gets a chance to not only teach someone something but we get the chance to learn something too. One day not far down the road you will be in our seats telling some 1st time grower the same things we are telling you now and like us, you will want him/her to have a great 1st time experience so they will continue to learn and grow. Not just as a grower but as a friend.
Take big breaths, do not rush, have faith in your self and in your friends and not only will you be growing your own, but you will be developing friendships along the way that could be life long.
Sorry I do tend to take an hour to get my 1 minute point across. But once you get to know me, you will realize it is because I am old and have bad eyes.

OG

Same-ish spot as me. Best of luck and don't put the LED too close like I did, haha.

Amazon ships soil and garden stuff if that helps, they were the only place I could find the aeration material I was looking for.

Ok. Thanks for the info on the soil. I really need to know about water and nutes and ferts. Along as when to start topping. I really appreciate the support man. There is so much to know and I'm a hands on kind of person. I'll retain everything once I do it. I'm still in the germination process but having this information at hand I'm sure will be invaluable.

Cheater, come on type it all out :high-five:
I so need to learn how to get those important links included into my signature. Sure would save me a lot of time.
As for when to top, anytime after the 4th node.
As for when to water, when the pot has dried out. Easy method to use is get another pot the exact same size as the one the plant is in and fill it with soil. pick it up in one hand, pick up your plant with the other hand. When they weigh the same, it is time to water.
As for nutes and fert. simple, if you are using potting soil, forget nutes and fert for about 4 weeks. What the plants need is already in the soil. The 5th week read the bottle or package and see what the recommended feeding is for week 5, then give then 1/4 strength of that for 2 weeks. The next 2 weeks bump it up to 1/2 recommended feeding. after that go full strength what they recommend. Though keep in mind nutrient companies like Fox Farm and others have a feeding schedule for soil and another one for hydro. They are different. Make sure your reading the right one.
Now that way works great for me, and I am sure there are others who have what works for them. I am not yield driven in my style I grow because I enjoy growing. I can not even smoke what I grow.
OG

Back
Top Bottom