Rookie Start At A Perpetual Garden

Bearded Budz

Hello ladies and gentlemen this is gonna be the story of my growing experiences, ALL the up s and downs will be proudly displayed here for posative and negative reinforcement! Think of me as a sponge, I furry faced dirty old sponge that one might find in the dump, I m open to every form of advise you can throw at me.:welcome::420::tokin: Thanks for being part of this, I m trying hard to make this whole thing work so thank you in advance!
:Namaste:
My first grow started around this time last year after I found some Bag Seeds in some decent grass I picked up. The strain was suposably a Chocolate Thai, I started then in 2 gal/ pots with NO ventilation or drainage holes and used Miracle Glow for nutrients. I McGyvered a light bar out of 8 four foot t8s with a sheet of plywood, the lights fastened to the bottom, 4 pullies and some rope for an adjustable set up. I mixed the spectrum alternating soft white and cool just because this was gonna be my veg and flower room.
image27052.jpg

I threw some super crappy fluorescent lights around everywhere all Willy Nilly thinking they ve gotta help something..... Not knowing enough about cfl s at this point!
All I did for grooming here was to weave and tie down branches into the home made scrog I had made out of some doweling with pre drilled holes every 2 inches for me to run my 1/8 in string through.
image26921.jpg
image27352.jpg

I threw some super crappy fluorescent lights around everywhere all Willy Nilly thinking they ve gotta help something..... Not knowing enough about cfl s at this point!
All I did for grooming here was to weave and tie down branches into the home made scrog I had made out of some doweling with pre drilled holes every 2 inches for me to run my 1/8 in string through.
image26921.jpg
image27352.jpg

Damn look at it! Looks like nice cozy bed! Id sleep on the scrog if it wouldnt damage the buds.:thumb:

Thanks a lot old grower, wow I feel honoured to entertain you with my mishaps and shenanigans, I m doing all this off my phone so it's extra difficult to navigate and even see the pic s I had put up here last harvest time. Please have patients this could be painful for everyone involved! Hahahaha. I m gonna repost my old pics and try and explain what was going on ( going wrong) more like it!

Thanks man, muchly appreciated! I used that super soft string too... Hehehe. This is about the time I started learning about root lock, nuitrient burn...... And IT BEGINS! BREWHAHAHA
And the importance of pot size.... The pot seen here is the bigger pot I transplanted into, which was super difficult when I was all tied up into a scrog! Aww man I hope rookies such as myself can learn from these mistakes, cuz there s lots! And this pot was still too small but at least it was vented to be able to flush properly when I watered and fed.

Here's what I had to do to solve my unvented small pot issue.
image27070.jpg
image27071.jpg

Ended up meeting my boi Pigeons420 around this time and he was the one who actually started steering me in the right direction, which was right to this website too all you awesome mofo s! I give him so much credit, he came over to see my Heavenly Garden one day and had nothing but positive things to say! What a great guy, he must have been bursting inside with all the things I was doing wrong, but he kept it all posative and systematically helped me solve my issues in a manner that allowed me to learn at a rookies pace.
So what I had to do was use a side cut saw to split the pot because I couldn't lift anything because of the scrog, then awkwardly slid the bigger pot in place. Being sure to have the proper drainage holes now knowing that you need air to get in and a spot for the excess water to run out
image27148.jpg
image27353.jpg

I am amazed I got this far, but you can see all the problems quite easily looking across that scrog! The area with the brow leaves was the plant that was root bound and not vented, the other side was just undersized and root bound. I was also oblivious to the importance of PH or even what it was. I used regular old tap water that tested out at 8.4 ph and 600 ppm ec, the only thing I did do right was to let the chlorine air off over night.... Ohh and no airation either! The list of DONT DO s is getting big at this point.... Wait it just gets better y all!

This is about the time when I got into finding out about hermies..... And to this day and this exact day, I ve been dealing with this strain and its genetics. I finally pulled the last 2 of 9 plus the 5 from this previous grow to learn that no matter what or how I grow these seeds they are gonna be hermies! The first go at em, a couple plants showed female traits in the last couple weeks of veg, so I figured YAY I gots me a couple new girlfriends!
image2815.jpeg

But a week or two ago as I had it in flower for a couple weeks, it started showing male and female bits!
image2816.jpeg

So out they came, but I did have the ones that had no signs of sex still in veg, so when I culled the 2 hermies in flower I threw the 4 or5 I had in veg into flower. It actually worked out perfect for the switch, I had plans of super cropping but at this point I wasn't wasting any more time on these Letdowns!

For the past 2 weeks I ve been slowly finding male and female parts on the plants but not all at once. They all had white hairs and small small bud growth but eventually every single one of them grew nuts, soooo disappointing, as you can tell it s still kinda fresh in my psychie! Live and learn though right, those seeds are off limits or might just find their way to the local sunny swampy area to be free! Here s some more pics, the big bushy one one the lower left is my only saving grace Jabba, the other s are the Chocolate Thai that I pulled today.
image3232.jpeg

Buddy way to go!!! My favorite people are already here!!!

How exciting is this guys!! Bearded Budz and I love within a tennis balls throw of each other!!

Let's get this party started!!!

:party:

Well if anyone is interested in roots and maybe a little insight into pot size I took a few pics and kinda inspected the root mass when I dumped the pot after I culled those plants. I wound that the first Big one I pulled had pretty much filled that 7 gal/ cloth pot, and when I say that I mean the root mass was throughout the entire pot. This plant was culled after week 9, it had 2 weeks in flower but started pistols in about week 6.... Wacko strain B's and G's!!
image3251.jpeg
image3253.jpeg
image3252.jpeg

Here s a few pics of harvest time on my first harvest in the scrog. As you can see the net works great for hanging your bud s for drying, but not very practical for a perpetual garden though! I love the whole idea of the scrog and what it does for boosting production but dang it limits your space!! I ve really been thinking about building a couple platforms in wheels with pvc framework built about 24 to30 inches above the base to support the scrog net..... What do you guys think on the topic?
image28603.jpg

I ended up only harvesting half that for bud and the other was made into bubble hash, now that was a fun process! The only reason I did that was cuz both plants were riddled with seeds and I didn't really feed like picking all those seeds, one plant was enough. Glad I did, the hash or the process of making it at lease was a blast. My main man Pigeons420 has all the documentation on that whole process if you wanna know more about that.

Back
Top Bottom