Growing Big Plants - First Time Ever Growing

bigbudnoob420

This is my first time growing cannabis, not in hydro or soil, I mean growing cannabis period. I did conduct a lot of research before starting including reading forums and one member i gotta give my thanks too TheCapn amazing info really. now I can assure you this won't be the most accurate journal because well I didn't keep notes this is all from memory and some pics. I am a slacker also i lost a bunch of pics when my phone broke last month sorry but on to the details.

The current strain was from female seed, strain hunter money maker.

Veg stage
she was topped at 4th node then topped main branches 4 weeks later. stalk split vertically while low stress training - bandage was applied. the plant was vegged for 70days total in DWC under 400watt mh in 6in cool tube.
Nutes = 7grams maxi bloom + 2.5ml cal-mag per us gal - hydrogen peroxide was added twice a week. then allowed for gradual PH rise from 6.0 - 6.4 then ph - down to 6.0. res changed every two weeks. tap water was used entire grow, tested at 6.8 ph at 150ppm tap water

Flower setup
3x3x5 mtn gearbox tent, 4inch carbon filter, 6inch cool tube, 600watt hps with ipower digital hps/mh ballast, 6inch centrifugal fan with speed control. my fan configuration is passive intake - 4inch vent tech filter - 6inch cooltube - 6inch vent tech centrifugal fan - outside the tent.
ebb n flow table made from 1 inch pvc frame and concrete mixing tray with tees 1in x 1in x 1/2in side inlet for detachable scrogg, scrogg measures 29in x 28in, reservoir is a tub which holds 7gallons, 1/2 inch irrigation tubing, one 1/2 fill tube and two 1/2 overflows, 1/2 barbed joiners and grommets - no ebb and flow fittings or bulkheads used. 160gph pump, titan analog 15 min timer. the timer floods every two hours for 15mins during lights on.

the basket is suspend in table not sitting on bottom due to the roots grew out the bottom of the basket because it was vegged in DWC, also i did not break the root ball just laid it down and covered it with river rock.
it's been lollopped as of a week ago and 20days into flower as of Jan 1st, planed for an 80day flower total. est harvest date is at the latest march 1st. will update with new pics every 10 days. also the next run I will be taking more notes and making a real accurate journal because it's been fun.

I've increased my Nutes as of 28 days into flower jan 9th
7grams maxibloom per us gallon
1/2 tsp of cal-mag per us gallon
1tsp flora grow per us gallon
1tsp flora macro per us gallon
1tsp flora bloom per us gallon

feel free to leave advice or criticism because keep thinking it should be bigger for being so old bit i don't know, i am noob at this. thanks for reading and again sorry for my horrible documenting skills.

PICS
these images were all within a week or less of flower transition
received_1654019851554216.jpg
received_1654077351548466.jpg
received_1654077371548464.jpg

these images were taking at 20days into flower jan 1st
20160105_005922814.jpg
20160105_005940615.jpg

these images were taking at 28days into flower jan 9th
20160109_050718856.jpg
20160109_050725315.jpg
20160109_050731147.jpg
20160109_050737695.jpg

Very good job! Looks like you'll get some great smoke... You sure that's your first grow? :bravo:

i swear its my first time growing ever no joke but i read and read for months before i ordered everything and assembled my setup.
im very technically inclined though I'm information security graduate, my dad is an engineer which hes been teaching me since middle school plus i am super ocd with details.

one thing thats been bugging me is the tips of the leaves appear to have Nute burn but its not accelerated anyfurther then the very tip in weeks so idk if thats normal or not and i have about 2 or 3 older leaves a week just turn brown, dry and then dye on the lower part near the scrogg but havent found anything online if that's normal or not.

Looking good. The Capn had lots of great info. the tips are probably just nute burn, and if it just stays at the tip your good to go. As for some of the other leaves dying off at the bottom of the canopy, that is normal (at least for me lol). Side note though, post your pics thru the gallery (tab at the top), not outside links.

Looking good. The Capn had lots of great info. the tips are probably just nute burn, and if it just stays at the tip your good to go. As for some of the other leaves dying off at the bottom of the canopy, that is normal (at least for me lol). Side note though, post your pics thru the gallery (tab at the top), not outside links.

thanks for the advice and letting me know thats normal for leaves to do that i was getting concerned. i just couldn't figure out were the pic attachment button was though, i was just to baked to look lol but i remeber next time.

yeah thecapn tut about 10oz perpetual harvest and how to top your way to a 1lb monster was the most informative tutorials I've read so far, i took a lot of aspects of my grow system and plant training from it.
How To: 10oz per plant perpetual indoors
How To: Bend and top your way to a 1 pound monster
How vegetative growth time exponentially affects yield

In the past I read and read and reread those threads as well, in the end decided not to go hydro for practical reasons. Anyway- subbed, looking good!

for some reason i cant touch dirt for the safety of all living plants , every time ive ever tried to grow something or anything in dirt Ive killed it idk why but me and dirt just dose not mix well.

thanks bro and thanks for subbing aswell

Update jan 20th 2015 - 39days into flower

UPDATE 39 days into flower as of jan 20th 2015. buds have swollen a lot and hairs are turning red, a few trics are getting cloudy. please ignore the rope and yarn, i had to add it because some of those colas are 2ft tall and were leaning bad from the weight.
20160120_112726612.jpg
20160120_112750801.jpg
20160120_112918530.jpg
20160120_112910167.jpg
20160120_112744860.jpg
20160120_112736127.jpg
20160120_112755308.jpg

Re: Update jan 20th 2015 - 39days into flower

also i have changed nute mixes for late flower starting for res change on jan 21st 2015
7grams maxi-bloom per us gallon
1/2 tsp of cal-mag per us gallon
3/4 tsp flora bloom per us gallon

Do you measure ppm?

i have a ppm meter yes but ill be honest i dont check it often enough. i check my water before i mix it, the plain tap water after 24hrs sit time, then again after i add the cal mag to make sure im adding 200ppm of cal mag then again after adding maxi-bloom. then again next day before adding to res then i ppm check the res once or twice a week. fresh res mix comes out around 1200ppm after a week in the res it drops to about 1000ppm then 2nd week around 850 -900ppm but shes drinking alot of water about 1 gallon every day or two.
ive been using a nute calculator and adding the individual nutes based around the lucas formula.

maxibloom 7grams per gallon

Nitrogen (N) % as Nitrate (NO3)5 --83
Nitrogen (N) % as Ammonium (NH4) --9
Nitrogen (N) % as Urea (NH2) --0
Phosphorus (P) % as P2O5 --121
Potassium (K) % as K2O --215
Magnesium (Mg) --65
Sulfur (S) --74
Calcium (Ca) --92
Iron (Fe) --1.8

total --660.8

cal-mag 2.5ml per gallon

Nitrogen (N) % as Nitrate (NO3)5 --7
Nitrogen (N) % as Ammonium (NH4) --0
Phosphorus (P) % as P2O5 --0
Potassium (K) % as K2O --0
Magnesium (Mg) --10
Sulfur (S) --0
Calcium (Ca) --33
Iron (Fe) --0.66

total --50.66

flora bloom at 3.5ml per gallon

Nitrogen (N) % as Nitrate (NO3)5 --0
Nitrogen (N) % as Ammonium (NH4) --0
Phosphorus (P) % as P2O5 --20
Potassium (K) % as K2O --31
Magnesium (Mg) --9
Sulfur (S) --0
Calcium (Ca) --0
Iron (Fe) --0

total --50ppm

tap water 160ppm + 761.46 = final mix is around 921ppm. they dont show any deficiencies and the nute burn has been on the tips for over 3 weeks but i haven't been concerned since its not progressing futher down the leaves. also i swear it seems that maxibloom dry takes longer to breakdown in the water.

From a grower with 20+ years experience and i mean everyday not a week off in that time you did fucking awesome man:goodjob:, only thing when you appear to get nute burn just flush with fresh water until run off and all will be schweet just start feeding with nutes a little lower than before again i take my hat off to you and OCD ain't nothing bad growing weed.:thumb::high-five::bravo::welldone::thedoubletake::jawdropper::drool::slide::adore::)
uk420man

Guesstimate 15-18+oz dry and cured:thumb:
Get that aircooled light way lower for packing on the weight.
uk420man

From a grower with 20+ years experience and i mean everyday not a week off in that time you did fucking awesome man:goodjob:, only thing when you appear to get nute burn just flush with fresh water until run off and all will be schweet just start feeding with nutes a little lower than before again i take my hat off to you and OCD ain't nothing bad growing weed.:thumb::high-five::bravo::welldone::thedoubletake::jawdropper::drool::slide::adore::)
uk420man

uk420man

thanks uk420, always appreciate the kind words of fellow cannabis connoisseurs and experts.
i gotta be honest i was hoping between 8oz - 10 oz, hell if i see 15 oz dry i may have a stroke from the excitement lol.

uk420man

thanks again for the tip about lowering the lights , i did that yesterday evening and i already notice a density difference in the colas

I get a little over a pound per 600 watt light when all goes well. Growing sativas and medium yield strains and using mediocre equipment, old bulbs, away a lot so things are neglected, etc. It's taken me a long time to get to the point of having healthy plants start to finish and I'm very happy to be doing this well. I'm more concerned about the quality than the quantity anyway, but yes, if you keep them healthy to the end you 'should' manage a pound. Which would be amazing for a first time grower actually, :thumb:

I get a little over a pound per 600 watt light when all goes well. Growing sativas and medium yield strains and using mediocre equipment, old bulbs, away a lot so things are neglected, etc. It's taken me a long time to get to the point of having healthy plants start to finish and I'm very happy to be doing this well. I'm more concerned about the quality than the quantity anyway, but yes, if you keep them healthy to the end you 'should' manage a pound. Which would be amazing for a first time grower actually, :thumb:

yeah after all Ive read, i honestly wasn't expecting to come out the gate that hard and hitting a pound per plant, i really would have a stroke lol if i did plus i wont lie i cut some corners in this build, for example i used a 4 inch carbon filter and a 6 inch centrifugal fan so i realized after the speed control is useless because i have to keep it turned all the way up to avoid my tube getting hot and since that carbon filter isn't rated for that kind of flow its not filtering the smell worth a crap, there are times of the day that my whole apartment stinks. also i bought used ballasts and used bulbs so my only excuse is i was on a budget though after harvest i had planned to order another 3x3 flower tent, making a big diy carbon filter with a uvc germicide cfl inline with the fan for a pre-filter on the exhaust and a tee too both tents, setup a separate fan for cooling the lights. adding uvb cfls and co2 into flowering tents for a boost. adding 2x4 tent for veg and moms, as well a ebb n flow hydro mum tray, lots will have to be done on the on the next go around to fix the little things i ended up not liking with my budget build. though id be happy with 8 -10oz of some super dank.

also Weaselcracker i was just wondering have you every smoked or grew , ghost train haze from rare dankness or skywalker og kush from reserva Pravda or blue moon rocks from bog, ive asked some friends and they keep saying bmr but haven't heard much on that ghost train haze

You've made it this far- you can do it- just go easy on the nutes and bring it to a gentle finish and a good cure you'll be golden. Better to have a few ounces of good smoke than a pound of crap.

There will be an upgrades list for the rest of our lives, lol. I have no experience with any of those strains but seem to remember coming across a little talk about the GT haze recently. If so and I relocate it I'll let you know.

You've made it this far- you can do it- just go easy on the nutes and bring it to a gentle finish and a good cure you'll be golden. Better to have a few ounces of good smoke than a pound of crap.

There will be an upgrades list for the rest of our lives, lol. I have no experience with any of those strains but seem to remember coming across a little talk about the GT haze recently. If so and I relocate it I'll let you know.

i agree with you there, id rather have some bomb and not a big pile of junk. if you find it id love to read it because I'm trying to decide on 2-4 good strains for mums preferably strains with medium to high yields with good to above average potency.

Back
Top Bottom