SlowToke Mystery Bean Grow Journal - 1st Grow - Soil - HID/LED - 2016

SlowToke

Welcome to my first grow ever! Being that this is a newbie effort that is bound to be stressful for the plants, I have decided to use the unidentified freebie seeds from my recent Nirvana order. Better to learn on these seeds rather than the main ones I want to grow.

Please feel free to comment, especially when you see me screw up. I have no idea what I'm doing, and would love any comments that will help me learn quality grow techniques. So here goes!

First, the specs:

• No idea what strains we have here. These are mystery seeds! Maybe we can make some guesses as the grow progresses.
  • This will be an indoor grow in soil, using a 50/50 mix of Fox Farms Ocean Forest and Fox Farms Light Warrior.
    - Vegging phase will be in a 4x4 grow tent.
    - Flowering phase will be outside the tent in a dedicated grow room.
  • Container sizes will progress from Solo cup germination to 1 gallon vegging to 7 gallon flowering.
  • Lighting will be as follows:
    - Seedling: (2) T5 sunblaster 2 ft. lamps
    - Vegging: (1) 1000W MH HID (maybe dimmed to 650W to start)
    - Flowering: (2) Advanced XML 650 LED
  • Nutrients will probably be FF Grow and Bloom, but open to suggestions here.

My grow room is still a work in progress. I wanted better control of the temps, and will install a mini-split ductless heat pump system. The HVAC is guy is coming tomorrow to install that. Once they are out of there I will go ahead and set up the tent. In the meantime I have germinated the seeds in soil in another room. The seeds were first soaked for 12 hours, then planted. Most of the seeds took a week to germinate, but two popped earlier than expected. They were so early I hadn't installed the seedling lighting yet, and by the time I could put up the lights, these two had stretched like crazy! Not sure if these two will have to be culled, of if they can be saved. So far, 8 of the 10 seeds have germinated. It's been 10 days since they were planted. The following pictures were taken 2 days ago.

Here is the overall setup for the seedlings until the grow room is ready. I mounted two T5 Sunblaster 2 ft. fixtures to a 1x4 for the lighting, and set the cups in a cloning tray. I set the two stretched plants lower than the others, but the long stems didn't support the leaves and they drooped down to cup rim height anyway.
FullSizeRender112.jpg

The two stretched seedling:
FullSizeRender-17.jpg

And all the others. the sixth cup looks empty, but the seedling has just broken through the dirt:
FullSizeRender-46.jpg

Too bad I didn't get my lighting act together sooner, as the stretched plants leaves are looking really pretty.
FullSizeRender-228.jpg

That's it for now. Let me know if you have any comments. I can use all the help I can get!

Yes, I'm here, and first in line. :woohoo:

For the stretchy ones, get a deeper cup ASAP and drop it into there so you can bury the lower part of the stem. It'll grow more roots along that buried section.

I've never done this myself, but Cajun starts his shallow and encourages a bit of stretch so he can do this. Not sure about the timing though.

Thanks for the compliment on the blog. :love:

Time for me to get into research and study mode for a few hours.

:) those stretchy ones are just trying to train themselves lol. two options there imo. use another cup and support them just the way they are. maybe tape both cups together and place on something like a dish or small board for safety measures.. or you could gently tie to sticks and stand straight up.. but if you ask me they want to be trained and sculpted lol. shit! hardware cloth! another use to the book lol.

:Namaste:

Let's do it!!

Hey, thanks for dropping by, Cajun! I am honored to have a professional grower of your capability checking out my fledging grow. Any comments or suggestions you can offer will be appreciated. I will have an update with more pictures shortly. :thumb:

Last night I worked on the two stretched seedlings, and came up with an idea combining Sue's suggestions as well as the LST training suggestion. So I carefully staked down the stalks of both plants loosely using gardener's twist tie material. This was pretty easy since the stalks are still very pliable. I checked on them this morning, and they seem to be taking this training well. Ultimately, I want to cover the staked stalks with soil to generate more roots at this stem area. Actually I will do that with all the plants, as they all seem to have some excess stalk that might as well go to good use developing more roots.

Here are some pictures I took this morning. The first shows the whole gang. I will go ahead and label the plants today. Starting from the far left row, front to back, and moving to the next row to the right, and so on, they will be labeled MB-1 through MB-8.

FullSizeRender-71.jpg

Here's MB-1, trained to take up the stalk slack. She (we'll be optimistic here!) seems to be taking the training well. MB-2 is similarly staked down and looks about the same as MB-1, so I didn't take a separate picture.

FullSizeRender113.jpg

MB-3, although looking healthy, has yet to sprout a pair of true leaves. What's up with that?

FullSizeRender-18.jpg

MB-4 is looking good!

FullSizeRender-229.jpg

And then we come to MB-5 and 6. The true leaves look all jacked up! Any thoughts on what caused this? They have the exact same growing enviro as all the other plants. Do you think the lighting was too close maybe? I kept the lamps about 1" from the plants uppermost surface. MB-6 also looks to have a slight yellow mottling on the leaves. I don't know if this is a nute issue... I was not planning to add any nutes to the soil for another few weeks, hearing that FFOF soil was a little nutrient hot to begin with.

FullSizeRender-314.jpg

FullSizeRender-53.jpg

And then there's SlowToke's slow poke, MB-7. I couldn't figure out why her growth was so stunted, but I watered this morning and she came right out of the soil with a very short root! Maybe I didn't plant her deep enough to begin with, but I gently dug out the hole, and placed her back in the soil. Hopefully she can recover.

FullSizeRender-47.jpg

That's it for today. All thoughts, and prayers for MB-7, are appreciated!

Here's MB-1, trained to take up the stalk slack. She (we'll be optimistic here!) seems to be taking the training well. MB-2 is similarly staked down and looks about the same as MB-1, so I didn't take a separate picture.

MB-3, although looking healthy, has yet to sprout a pair of true leaves. What's up with that?

MB-4 is looking good!

And then we come to MB-5 and 6. The true leaves look all jacked up! Any thoughts on what caused this? They have the exact same growing enviro as all the other plants. Do you think the lighting was too close maybe? I kept the lamps about 1" from the plants uppermost surface. MB-6 also looks to have a slight yellow mottling on the leaves. I don't know if this is a nute issue... I was not planning to add any nutes to the soil for another few weeks, hearing that FFOF soil was a little nutrient hot to begin with.

And then there's SlowToke's slow poke, MB-7. I couldn't figure out why her growth was so stunted, but I watered this morning and she came right out of the soil with a very short root! Maybe I didn't plant her deep enough to begin with, but I gently dug out the hole, and placed her back in the soil. Hopefully she can recover.

That's it for today. All thoughts, and prayers for MB-7, are appreciated!
MB1-2... that is the earliest training I think I have ever seen. I am anxiously awaiting the results.
MB3 just looks young... give her time.
MB5-6, definitely looks like light burn. Back the lights up a bit... as long as you are within 4" you are in the good light zone. This intense light seems to have stunted MB6, I see no new leaves. She is going to sit confused for a while and eventually the two lower preflowers will become dominant, and you will end up with a two, and if one forms in the middle of those existing leaves, a 3 branched plant. It takes a while to resolve and will be a good candidate to cull if you need to sort out to a smaller amount of plants in flower, but if you have time, you can usually turn these into good producers.
MB7, sounds like a J root... and it has 2 main causes. One, you didn't plant the seed pointy end up and two, it was planted too shallow and didn't have to fight a bit to come out of the soil. Without the pressure on the top of its head, the seed can't get the leverage it needs to send its tap root downward.

FFOF is definitely a hot soil. I will advise you that you do not need nutes until flower with that soil, if you up-pot successively 2 or 3 times before you get to your final container. You spent extra for that good soil, don't insult it by thinking it needs something else. Keep your incoming fluids at 6.5 pH, and you will not have any problems with this soil at all. Please also read the last lines of my signature stuff to see my feelings on using nutes, especially with a good designer soil.

Good luck! --Emmie

MB1-2... that is the earliest training I think I have ever seen. I am anxiously awaiting the results.
MB5-6, definitely looks like light burn. Back the lights up a bit... as long as you are within 4" you are in the good light zone. This intense light seems to have stunted MB6, I see no new leaves. She is going to sit confused for a while and eventually the two lower preflowers will become dominant, and you will end up with a two, and if one forms in the middle of those existing leaves, a 3 branched plant. It takes a while to resolve and will be a good candidate to cull if you need to sort out to a smaller amount of plants in flower, but if you have time, you can usually turn these into good producers.
MB7, sounds like a J root... and it has 2 main causes. One, you didn't plant the seed pointy end up and two, it was planted too shallow and didn't have to fight a bit to come out of the soil. Without the pressure on the top of its head, the seed can't get the leverage it needs to send its tap root downward.

FFOF is definitely a hot soil. I will advise you that you do not need nutes until flower with that soil, if you up-pot successively 2 or 3 times before you get to your final container. You spent extra for that good soil, don't insult it by thinking it needs something else. Keep your incoming fluids at 6.5 pH, and you will not have any problems with this soil at all. Please also read the last lines of my signature stuff to see my feelings on using nutes, especially with a good designer soil.

Good luck! --Emmie

I use FFOF and I agree. It is too hot by itself. I cut mine with 1 part Promix BX and 1 part Perlite. Makes it more suitable for all plants and it drains real well!!! :peace:

I use FFOF and I agree. It is too hot by itself. I cut mine with 1 part Promix BX and 1 part Perlite. Makes it more suitable for all plants and it drains real well!!! :peace:

I believe that the plants can adjust to being in the hot soil if not coddled... I mean, look at these new seedlings handling it just fine, the only damage we are seeing being easily explained by lights at 1" away from moving plants. I started seeds all the time in FFOF, and they take off out of the gate strong and proud. Because of this, I see no compelling need to mix this soil with anything else, except perlite. Perlite is the indoor container grow secret weapon... it allows hollow spaces for air and microlife to survive in when the soil gets dry, and it keeps the soil from compacting as the organics start to break down around mid flower. Along with about 20% perlite, I would add a spoonful of Azomite, so that late in flower you don't run out of molybdenum. The only problem I have ever had with FFOF was that it is just a tad light on trace minerals for a 3 month grow.

FFOF is so good, many use it as an organic base soil. Using teas and amendments throughout the grow, I am sure that a microherd could be kept alive in there and that it would produce a superior product without ever using a nutrient. It is good stuff... I see no need to cut it with anything else to reduce that goodness.

Everyone has a recipe though... that special mix that works for them. That is what you need to find... what works for you. Experiment with our ideas on one or two of your plants, keep good notes as to what works and what doesn't, and sometime in the future you will be the one on here, giving an opinion as to the best soil mix and how to work with it. There are a thousand ways to skin a cat... find the one that works best for you through experimentation.
Trust nothing, verify what you can. -Wee'zard

Hey, thanks for dropping by, Cajun! I am honored to have a professional grower of your capability checking out my fledging grow. Any comments or suggestions you can offer will be appreciated. I will have an update with more pictures shortly. :thumb:

I'm glad you got a grow up n going. You having fun yet?

Some info for the future ya might consider. You asked. Lol.

Your container sizes are too far off I think. I would suggest going from solos to 2 gal containers for veg & then transplant a week before flipping to your 7 gal.
The issue with dimmable ballasts is that unless they're used at 100%, the bulbs won't produce the full spectrum of light they're capable of. So, I wouldn't leave the ballast at 650w for long. Better to raise the hood.

I'm glad you got a grow up n going. You having fun yet?

Some info for the future ya might consider. You asked. Lol.

Your container sizes are too far off I think. I would suggest going from solos to 2 gal containers for veg & then transplant a week before flipping to your 7 gal.
The issue with dimmable ballasts is that unless they're used at 100%, the bulbs won't produce the full spectrum of light they're capable of. So, I wouldn't leave the ballast at 650w for long. Better to raise the hood.

Hi Cajun! I did indeed ask, and appreciate your thoughts. And yes, this absolutely is fun! A little intimidating, but fun. Everyday I can't wait to get up in the morning and home from work at night to see how they are doing.

Good advise on the lighting. I'll keep the HID light at 1000W. I know I saw somewhere a chart for how far the fixture needs to be for various wattages. I'll hunt that up and raise the hood when I get to that point. I'll look for some 2 gallon pots as well.

Thanks!

Good luck! --Emmie

Wow! Thanks for the great response. It is so helpful having all you seasoned growers looking over my shoulder. Great description of the issues with MB-7, and I will pay better attention to seed placement and depth in the future.

You know, I really appreciate you're whole approach to growing. I saw it in your own grow journal, and here as well. Thinking about the plant's perspective and responses to the environmental conditions and stresses they encounter makes a lot of sense to me. I hope I can one day get as good an intuitive sense of the issues with the individual plants as you clearly have. In my eyes, you are a true weed whisperer! :adore:

Wow! Thanks for the great response. It is so helpful having all you seasoned growers looking over my shoulder. Great description of the issues with MB-7, and I will pay better attention to seed placement and depth in the future.

You know, I really appreciate you're whole approach to growing. I saw it in your own grow journal, and here as well. Thinking about the plant's perspective and responses to the environmental conditions and stresses they encounter makes a lot of sense to me. I hope I can one day get as good an intuitive sense of the issues with the individual plants as you clearly have. In my eyes, you are a true weed whisperer! :adore:

glad to help, makes me happy to know that I can make a difference. As far as to the level of whispering, I am still learning all the time. Someday I do hope to hear their whispers, but alas, today I only hear what they are saying when they are to the point of shouting and screaming and violently complaining about something I did to them. Someday, I hope to be good at this. :)

Back
Top Bottom