Southern Hemisphere Midsummer Grow

SouthAfricano

My situation very recently changed (a certain non-approving family member finally moved out) so I could finally start growing my own medical... My climate is very similar to Hawaii's, but with less rain. (Which is sad, cause I'd have some serious guerrilla trees YEARS ago if I was just 20 miles to the other side of the bay.)

If you don't mind I'm going to use the local units of measure whenever I can't remember empirical conversions. (Temps will be in Celsius, but measurements should mostly be in empirical. I've been surfing since a young age and the language for many things I was interested in is empirical so I have some idea.)

Daytime temps are currently around 20-28C, with the odd 30C day, and night time is about 15-20C. Nearing the end of the cycle the night time temps should be around 10-15C, but hopefully not under 10C. If it drops under 10C I may get some purple buds on some of these strains, but it's not actually what I'm after.

In any case before I ramble on here are the details:

I've been collecting seeds from various bud I've been smoking. I'm South African and most weed is grown outdoors, directly in the ground, in really good climates. To ensure constant production the growers don't kill all the males. The weed tends to be seeded, but not overly so, unless you've got a hermie, and it's quality tends to be surprising considering the seeds. None of the strains would be pure either, most will have a certain amount of crossing with the local landrace called Port st. Johns. Port st. Johns is actually not a strain but a place where weed is grown. The landrace they grew here is a 100% Sativa with unique qualities. I find these unique qualities essential for my own personal medicinal use. It's unlike anything else I have come across. If you manage to get Port that was grown by someone who knows what they are doing it can be frighteningly strong. The plants can get 12ft high too. BUT, their buds tend to be thin, and quite airy and almost more leaf than bud. It doesn't LOOK like what you want weed to look like.

I've been planting since the start of December, so my oldest plants are around 6-7 weeks old, and my youngest are yet to pop up.

I have planted a mystery mix of seeds, the strains of which I know are in there:
'White Widow' from a bag of weed that looks like the weed was harvested very very very late. Smoked like weed that was harvested very very very late. The seeds where huge, and the buds where sticky to the touch, but way too dark for widow. White Widow I smoked that came from the same grower, but that I bought a month earlier, fit the bill of the same stuff I smoked when I smoked Widow grown outdoor from seeds from Amsterdam, so I assume this was part of his seeding crop.

Cheese (outdoor grown.) This stuff looked, smelt, and felt just like indoor cheese, and I know all the indoor growers in the area import their seeds so I'm sure it's the real deal. It was just not quite as powerful as the indoor stuff, but I'm chalking it up to the grower's inferior methoods. (Plant straight in native soil, leave a male, etc...)

Port st Johns. (I'm hoping I didn't plant too much of this cause I can way too easily buy it for next to nothing...)

Some Lemon Skunk. These are seeds that I bet came from a hermie, cause it was just plain FULL of seed, but knocked me on my arse anyway. It was some of the prettiest weed I laid eyes upon. It could have been another breeding thing tho... The Lemon Skunk is easy to spot between the other weed.

Some plain ol' skunk.

And whatever else kicked my arse. I chucked any seeds from weed that didn't impress me.

For soil I went with whatever I could get my hands on. Mostly plain old potting soil with some compost. I put too much compost with some of the plants and the soil is tighter than I would have liked, but I can't find perlite anywhere. Some are in 5l (1 3/4 gallonish) bags, some still in pots. Most of the older plants recently got transferred into bigger containers, but are growing quickly and would need even bigger ones soon. I made a big pot for one, took 2 bags of soil to not entirely fill it. I'm estimating it's a good 7-10gallon..

A week or so ago I ran into some pH issues thanks to the municipal water fucking out. Usually with basic stuff like plain ol soil and compost you don't really have to even check pH and I haven't met a grower that actually checks it... Well I saw burn, knew I didn't add any nutes or anything yet, knew the plants where growing fine till now, and wtf? So I checked the water pH. Like 9. wtf?! Started adding lemon juice to my water, testing pH with liquid test thingeys, and flushed the plants with 6ish ph water, and then some more with 6ph water with some nutes added to put that back into the soil (supernature plus, it's a 3:winkyface:1), oh yea and most of my soil has a good amount of bonemeal... I later wished I didn't put that there and rather used bonemeal tea later in the lifecycle, but what the hell plants don't seem to mind at all...

That stopped the burn from spreading. My rasta friend's plants weren't so lucky. 10 perfectly good 4ft Sativa auto's going from healthy and about to start budding to half dead burn fucked up gone... I managed to stop it from getting worse but the leaves are already burned half way through so I am doubting his harvest is going to be a good smoke, if he gets a harvest at all. Stupid water not sticking at 7...

In any case all the flushing caused a bit of overwatering, but nothing that is too visible on the plants, just small signs on the weaker plants.

In any case right now the sun sets around 8pm, and it comes up at around 5ish, so a good 15 hours of light. My plants get direct sunlight from 8:30-9am to 2-4pm. (Depending which. Seedlings are in a place where it goes from 9-2, and the bigger ones in the 8:30-4pm spot. In the end most will end up in a spot around 9-3.) I'm have to trim a tree to get more light and space, and getting up there is no joke, and I'm a bit injured (hurt my back with overzealous juggling of a 28kg kettlebell after not training for a month due to flue. Not smart lol.) but yea all the plants should be getting around 6-8 hours of direct light throughout their lifecycle.

I'd like to post some pics but the process seems a bit foreign to me. I uploaded them but now it seems I'll have to refresh this page to see them and post them and I really don't wanna do that so I'm going to post them in a reply.

Here we go, here is a lot of seedlings. Mostly cheese I believe
210120167421.jpg

(There where seeds planted in those containers already, but then I received a lot of cheese and took those seeds instead and planted them in there, removing old seeds if I find them, otherwise just letting it be, opting to let them both sprout and picking the strongest one. Now it's just a case of pulling out the weaklings or those who decide to pop up 2 weeks later randomly etc. Most of the germinated ones look like they should be cheese, but they could just as easily be the white widow I planted earlier. I'll probably only know for sure when they start to flower and the different scents and budding patterns come out.)

210120167431.jpg

A few 2ish week old plants

210120167441.jpg

5 lemon skunk and one mystery in a big ol container. They are about 3 weeks old, maybe 4.

21012016745.jpg

The one at the bottom middle is Lemon Skunk.

21012016746.jpg

An overview of the grow.

If I knew I was going to make a journal and if I knew these guys would have all grown so nicely I would have totally labeled my seeds and kept things more organised but I collected seeds before I the whole growing thing would actually realize this year, and I just made sure the seeds I kept where good stuff. In the end the strains will reveal themselves I believe, and also I have a feeling South African high grade outdoor is unique, cause I am almost 100% it all got some of the local genetics in there as well. 3 seeds I planted that haven't come up yet is Port st Johns crossed with Cheese. Now Cheese is awesome weed and probably one of my favorite daytime smokes, but it misses something that Port just HAS. The cross I smoked had the port st johns budding pattern but smelt like cheese, and smoked like, well, cheese x port. NB if there are any breeders interested in SA strains, gimme a PM. In any case it was the most medicinally perfect strain for me personally. (I've got bipolar and anxiety. I want a ganja that lowers anxiety without turning me into a zombie, and there is a very specific buzz that I get nowhere else than port, and a specific buzz that Cheese has, and I always smoke them together, but the cross works better IMHO. The seeds where small but lets hope they grow out nicely...

After the weekend I'll give pics of individual plants. There are a few I'd like to ask questions about. One dying plant that is in the same soil and container size as another one, with the one growing ridiculously and now being put in that pot thing I made (the green wooden thing with the polythene.), Then there are others that show damage from when the pH went wack, but then I have many plants that went unaffected by it. Some warped and burned, others just kept growing like crazy... Oh and another thing I want to note is because of the somewhat more compact and water absorbent than I'd like nature of my soil, I made many many many many many little holes and a few bigger ones, in all my bag containers, as well as the homemade polythene one.

Also, I noticed the lemon skunk needs more nutrients and things to the other plants. Giving a small 3 inch lemon skunk double the nutrients to a 1ft tall mystery had it go from somewhat yellowish leaves to much darker green leaves instantly, while the other is already showing signs of being on it's max for nutrients. (Oh yea I also never use more than 1/4 the recommended amount on the bottle, opting rather for more regular light feeding. Same goes for watering, I prefer watering regularly but lightly, as to avoid excessive expanding and shrinking of the soil. The recent flushing excluded of course.) But even so I rarely skip more than a day on most of my containers. Looking at the biggest one tho it seems like it will probably only get watered every 3rd day, less I give less than a gallon of water at a time.

Hey Africa cool grow man. That port st. Johns sounds like some very unique and good weed. I wish i was in the Southern Hemisphere right now but im stuck in the ice and snow. Your plants look nice and healthy. Good pics too. The weather down there seems good for growing marijuana. Sounds like there is plenty of weed around for cheap money. I like the strains you chose also, Ive yet to see any cheese. Your off to a great start. :goodjob:

It's not so much choosing strains as it was a case of I saved the seeds of the weed that impressed me. Cheese is the number one high grade sold around here. These days if you buy indoor weed you can be certain it's cheese. Sells for quite the price too. While landrace strains can be as cheap as R10g at market level.(Exchange rate right now is like $1=R17, but usually it's like $1=R12, but funny shit's going on politically so yea things went funky.) When the landrace strains are grown well they sell for around R20-R30 a gram. So basically a dollar or two. Well grown outdoor from hybrid seeds (anything from skunk to white widow, except cheese) goes for about R30-R60 a gram, and outdoor cheese goes up to R100g, with indoor going up to R250g. The number one reason I'm growing is to avoid the extra cost of buying hybrid weed, and also to minimize my visible activity. I was given a prescription for cannabis by my psychologist but it barely means anything till I get to court level (and even there they can decide to ignore it because we don't have medical cannabis laws, the defense is on a constitutional level, and the end goal is just to get a punishment that doesn't include a criminal record but yea), and the main thing that causes me stress is the fact that when I go to my rasta's place, two shacks down is a guy who sells meth, mandrax on the next corner, etc, and being seen in these areas regularly enough that the people there start greeting you 2 blocks away already... So yea I decided it's much better to just grow, especially since I already knew I am pretty good at it, considering my first attempt at 15 turning into beautiful 5ft trees... Sadly my grandparents didn't quite 'get' things like they do now, and had me kill all but 2. They still let me keep 2 which was awesome but they didn't really last till they where even properly cured lol. Right now I opted to get enough plants going, hoping to get at least 15 decent sized females, preferably 20-30. Between a 2-4g a day habit, and my stoner friends... Yea I'm going to somehow need to get 2-4 pounds out of this harvest, cause next one is only in 2017 How would I go about doing so, considering that right now is the equivalent of late July in Cali... Is this realistic with what I have going here, or am I kidding myself? O yea and all the bigger plants will be going to 5+ gallon containers within the next few weeks, granted I get the money for the containers. (I'm running on an almost non-existent budget, and most of what you see here was done with what was around the house.

Sativa landstrains yes, quite potent, very potent when crossed with something else. The only thing that I don't like about port is what it looks like. It doesn't look like buds. I haven't seen a full grown port st johns plant, but the buds I get look like the plant decided to make clumps of leaves instead of buds. Like it's a very leafy bud if you know what I mean, and if the people trimmed much more of it there wouldn't really be much left. I'm curious as to the actual result of what a giant port plant looks like before it's dried out, and I'm wondering if I can't maybe cross that leafy phenotype out while maintaining that awesome hmmmm feeling at the back of your head and down your spine that port gives me, while keeping me clear in front, if that makes sense. I'm thinking my ideal port cross would be this: Cross port with both cheese and white widow, take those seeds, grow them out, then cross the portxcheese with the portxwhite widow. Then if I somehow can find real durban poison (shit's RARE, even IN durban.) then I'd like to do the same with the durban poison. Then I'd like to take the PCWW and cross that with the DPCWW. Create a sativa dom with some SERIOUS genetic diversity in it... Heck I wish they would just legalize so that I can start a massive medical crossing operation. I want to breed weed for every condition and occasion. Like, I want to have greenhouses fully equipped with grow lights and testing systems for soil and comparison of different grow methods... Heck I'd want to expand to include growing food and other medicine too. Basically I want to fucking farm big time.

If the port is that good even being very leafy then you are right. Crossing it with somethin like cheese or WW would be very cool. Is the Durban another sativa in your area? Sounds like you have some very interesting weed in south africa. I know alot of people are using african strains to make some awsome crosses. Seeds of Africa has some malawi gold, swazi gold and coffee gold for pretty good prices. I like to farm too. Growing plants seems to come natural and is very enjoyable. Are you growing for personal use or to make some money, or both lol.

Swazi Gold is the worst genetic from the area IMHO. Grows giant trees (like 12ft+) sure but the smoke is meh. Durban Poison is a super famous sativa. Port st Johns has escaped a lot of attention by westerners due to it's looks, them normally preferring skunk, also cause the skunk around here makes you so fucked my wife calls it zombified. Great if you want to escape reality, not so great if you want to function IN it. Port however is my number one anxiety cure. It's just poof gone, without the sleepy I get from swazi-skunk, or the other swazi and/or skunk variations. It also affects my sex life less. Some strains just make it impossible for me to cum. PortxCheese sounds like the ideal cross for a daytime smoke and PortxWW for something in between, and PortxSkunk#1.

I've got half a mind to find the money to rent a small farm... Places on rural areas are SUPER FUCKING CHEAP around here... That way I can do a full on veggies and everything grow, and put my plants in between the food, in a greenhouse. I find a serious lack in medicinally orientated weed available around here, and I'd like to develop a few strains for especially people with bipolar disorder. Like, we need something that will calm us down, not give us anxiety, but still be heady and high energy, so that we can function to our full potential in a more calm manner. It can't just be sedating, and it can't just be uppy. It needs just the right thing to it, and port HAS that. I usually mix my port with my other weed in smoking, but I'd like to see if I can just develop the strain. For right now tho I don't have port growing because I started way too late. Port trees are trees, and I would want to start one indoors mid winter and take that outdoors. TBH I can't grow port till I'm on a farm, which hopefully won't take too long.

Good news! I acquired 3, 5 gallon pain containers, with more coming presumably. Wife's awesome. Bad news, phone's camera broke... UGH...

Also...

GOT PREFLOWERS!!! 2 looks female 1 looks male... Not bad ratio... Let's see what happens... I'm going to separate the male looking plant tomorrow. I'm hoping for at least a month more vegging on these 3 tho, they ARE 2 months old, but I'm hoping for at least another month before real flowering happens. Outdoor sativa can flower for a LONG ASS TIME tho, so this mightn't be a bad thing. Last time I harvested after 10 weeks when after taking it to my friend and checking the thrichomes it seems like I should have left it for another 4 at least... Gave an awesome soaring high but it could still have doubled in thickness and potency. Lets see how these go. These guys are getting MUCH bigger containers than the last ones did too, and I didn't expect the plants to need such big containers, so I mistook the effects of a plant going pot bound for the plant being ripe. This time I'm going to make sure I get the biggest possible containers for all my plants. The homemade one of mine is probably a good 7-8 gallons, and I'm making sure everything goes into something at least 5 gallons big. I'd prefer the paint buckets to bags, but if I can't get enough paint buckets I'll go for bags too.

Oh, and a bit of info, if I'm using bags I make a few extra big holes at the bottom and a few on the sides, and many many many tiny holes all over the sides, that way the drainage is the best I can get it. If I'm using buckets I make many bigger holes at the bottom of it, and I'm considering the sides but I'm not sure it's necessary (What do you guys think, holes in the sides or no?).
I use a lighter and a pencil to make the holes, I heat the plastic till JUST before it would start making a hole, and then I use the pencil to make it, just piercing it and then rolling the pencil between my fingers to twist out the melted plastic till the hole is the size you want it. I prefer many ones that are kind of medium in size over giant holes or many tiny ones.)

Woohoo more preflowers... Although I'm not sure if woohoo, I REALLY don't want these guys to flower till they have their root systems spread a little through the new 20l containers. Only one looks like it has any male traits and could be herm, the rest is still too early to tell but look female in shape, and then there is one with PISTILS!!! Thing that shocked me is I took my plants from 1l-2l containers and transplanted them to these 5l containers like 2 weeks ago, and their roots have already reached the bottom of them. Since all those who are preflowering look sativa dominant, I'm betting they are still a good 4 months off... Lets see how this goes. My target harvest time is around the end of May.

In an end note, if the male-female ratio is what it looks like... This could be good. I heard banana peels give off a hormone that effects the male-female ratio and I've been putting peels in my pots, just in case this ends up being true. I mean, worst case scenario bit of extra nutrients from a banana peel breaking down. But since the gas it gives off is the gas that ripens your fruit... It could just what is causing this... I've got 8 plants in preflower and right now it looks like 7:1 ratio. But I'll only really know in a week or so...

On another note, should I maybe only transplant these as I see pistils? Or should I get them into the bigger containers asap to avoid herming them? I'd prefer to be certain of gender before I use a container cause they are limited and I have a lot of plants that needs to go into containers...

EDIT: Ok nvm 5 plants with clear pistil formation, 1 with a little ball. I think I got my phone to work again, I'm going to check if I can take some photo's later today, by right now I'm going to go buy soil and get transplanting. I wish I had a cameraman to capture the transplant but I sure as fuck can't move a giant root and soil ball, and take cellphone photos of it, at the same time.

I'm in, man :thumb:

Another SA grower. Good to have you here man. I thought I recognised the style of your journal, but then I noticed this is your first grow in 7 years. You seem to have a handle on it though, with some interesting plants.

AAARGH! Ok so phone camera still refusing to work, but at least my phone still phones...

I transplanted 4 of my plants. 3 of them went from 5litre (just under 2 gallon) bags to 20litre (5 gallon) pots. I found the drill so instead of the melty methood I drilled many little holes in there. The other one was one of the plants that got a bit of burn last time but seemed to have bounced back beautifully. I didn't have another 20l but it needed transplanting BADLY (it was in a 3/4 gallon pot), so I used a 12l (3 gal) I was amazed at my root formation. That bonemeal sure did it's job. All the 2gal bags where filled with roots to the bottom, even tho some of the plants where shorter than their root structures (All I'm adding to my soil from here on is bonemeal. The potting mix is perfect texture as long as I don't add compost, and the bonemeal is making the roots just explode.), I've got a feeling that these guys are going to explode during flowering, because it seems there is more energy going into root development than into the top of the plant, which is exactly what I'm looking for. Bigger roots mean bigger buds! My previous grow I had big trees with small buds because I didn't have space for the roots. No thank you, I want big buds on these babies. After some (lol hours) research I found out the go-to container size is 5 gallon, and that you can get away with a 3 gallon, and bigger is better, but depth is more important than volume...

Ok, so even the male is starting to look female... In any case, I used my wife's cell to take some pics, they are a bit on the blurry end tho so it's hard to tell, cause this stuff is so small that I can barely see it, and with some of these preflowers I can't really say male or female yet, cause what I interpret as a ball could just be a tiny calyx starting to form... But the only confirmed ones are the ones I planted (minus the biggie, I still don't know if it's a he or a she, but if my biggest plant is a male this year I'm breeding that guy. Tall AND bushy, traits I'm really looking for. I'm thinking it's a White Widow.

In any case lemme upload those pics quick and then you guys can check it out.

Back
Top Bottom