Kushtie - Dark Devil - Candy Kush & Himalaya Orange Diesel - Autos In NFT

Welcome folks,

All being well we should hopefully see giant Kush autos, and soon since my DDA is already about a month old and over 20 inches tall.

About to install a screen from one side of my room to the other like I did last grow and then hope they end up all part of the same canopy. Bit more even than last time would be good but I'm not sure how big these strains get so I've lit the fuse and am hoping for the best :)

Dark Devil Auto, day 33:
dda1602-1.jpg

Candy Kush Auto, day 9:
cka1602-1.jpg

That one is looking nuts already:)

And last but not least; Himalaya Orange Diesel which is a new strain from ShortStuff seeds and will hopefully be available from 420 sponsors soon (e.g.: Female Seeds - Buy feminised cannabis seeds).
hod1602-1.jpg

Medium for all of them is a 4" rockwool cube in 20 litre NFT systems - each plant has it's own res, pump and nutrient mix. All plants are under the same 600W dual spectrum HPS and currently getting 20 hours of light per day. Nutrients are IONIC Hydro Grow until they stop growing upwards and then IONIC Hydro Bloom when they are flowering.

re: Kushtie - Dark Devil, Candy Kush & Himalaya Orange Diesel Autos In NFT

Looking kush kushtie, although I have no idea about NFT im subbed...hopefully i can learn a thing or two if I can keep up lol!

:Namaste:

Welcome folks,

All being well we should hopefully see giant Kush autos, and soon since my DDA is already about a month old and over 20 inches tall.

About to install a screen from one side of my room to the other like I did last grow and then hope they end up all part of the same canopy. Bit more even than last time would be good but I'm not sure how big these strains get so I've lit the fuse and am hoping for the best :)

Dark Devil Auto, day 33:
dda1602-1.jpg

Candy Kush Auto, day 9:
cka1602-1.jpg

That one is looking nuts already:)

And last but not least; Himalaya Orange Diesel which is a new strain from ShortStuff seeds and will hopefully be available from 420 sponsors soon (e.g.: Female Seeds - Buy feminised cannabis seeds UK).
hod1602-1.jpg

Medium for all of them is a 4" rockwool cube in 20 litre NFT systems - each plant has it's own res, pump and nutrient mix. All plants are under the same 600W dual spectrum HPS and currently getting 20 hours of light per day. Nutrients are IONIC Hydro Grow until they stop growing upwards and then IONIC Hydro Bloom when they are flowering.

yes looking good and love the candy kush blue dream and Og doing a nice job plants looking killer :thumb:

Welcome guys.:thanks:

I'd say I've tried to keep it interesting by staggering the plant start dates but really that's just made it a pain to keep track of day numbers on them and it wasn't a plan so much as just starting stuff when a free "pot" became available.

I'll do a bunch of pics of the NFT systems but to go back to the beginning this is how I started these seeds.....(cut and pasted from my last journal since I posted it there before I had this one started).....

The rockwool cubes for the HOD were already well soaked so I figured I might as well get a seed in.

My grows tend to start and end with the "pokey bit" out a Clipper lighter ;) ....

Starting equipment; rockwool well soaked for a few days to pH 5.6 with about a quarter strength nutrient mix, seeds, something to make a wee hole with and a humidity dome:
newseeds-0801-1.jpg

Make hole in 1" cube:
newseeds-0801-2.jpg

Put seed in:
newseeds-0801-3.jpg

Cover over by fluffing the rockwool fibres over the seed:
newseeds-0801-4.jpg

And wait a few days :)
newseeds-0801-5.jpg

The DDA and CKA were started In their own NFT systems with nutes and pump running but the HOD had to suffer a couple of days of top feeding whilst I got the 3rd system cleaned down and ready to go again. Pump running and a little top feeding seemed to work best as that's what I did with the CKA but either way I'm starting them in their final "pots" and under a 600W HPS. Seems to work and is less hassle than moving them about so I could use a CFL for their first few days like I've done in previous grows.

re: Kushtie - Dark Devil - Candy Kush & Himalaya Orange Diesel - Autos In NFT

Nice mate.

So you just germ your seeds in the rockwool? what germination rate do you get doing it that way?

im guessing you dont turn the pumps on until the cubes are well rooted?

I like NFT although i have never grown like that in a large scale. I have a 4 plant tray there. i might grow one big plant on it in my next round.

Nice mate.

So you just germ your seeds in the rockwool? what germination rate do you get doing it that way?

im guessing you dont turn the pumps on until the cubes are well rooted?

I like NFT although i have never grown like that in a large scale. I have a 4 plant tray there. i might grow one big plant on it in my next round.

Cheers bud :)

Aye, just been germinating seeds in rockwool and with pump running. I've had 100% germination for my last couple of runs by making sure the rockwool has been well soaked to remove as much of the lime as possible and then keeping it wet with a fairly low pH and EC grow nutrient mix.

A drip feeder probably would be better until the roots are in the tray but I don't have one so I just use the pump at a low setting so the rockwool stays wet.

Pretty much all I have to do is keep putting water in the res to keep the pH up until they want more nutes.

Would love to see you do NFT if you can find space as I reckon it would be cool to see the growth rates compared against other mediums you've used. Is it worth using an extra plug socket for? I'm all out of plugs until I get a circuit for growing in my loft as all I have at the moment is a couple of 10A extension leads to run my PC and my grow.

i would let the rockwool dry out. so manually turn pump on when medium dries out. this way you will avoid root rot and your roots will grow much much faster. then turn pump on once its well rooted. Thats how i would do it anyway.

i would let the rockwool dry out. so manually turn pump on when medium dries out. this way you will avoid root rot and your roots will grow much much faster. then turn pump on once its well rooted. Thats how i would do it anyway.

I hear you, and it's something I think is worth experimenting with, particularly if I ever settle on some strains and really want to get to know what they like and when.

I've no experience with hydro techniques involving feed timers but the first couple of times I started seeds I just used 1" cubes in a basic propagator and manually tried to keep them wet. Back then I was getting between 50% and 80% germinating but then I found out the hard way what too dry was with 10 seeds so then I started experimenting with using a pump to keep just the bottom of the cubes wet.

Maybe oxygenating the nutrient solution isn't so important if the substrate is doing it anyway?

According to the Grodan site:
GRODAN stone wool, when allowed to drain by gravitational pull, i.e. at field capacity contains 80% solution, 15% air pore space and 5% stone wool fibers. This ratio of solution to air promotes vigorous root growth. Plants growing on stone wool will remove solution and increase the ration of air-pore space to solution. Thus, if a higher proportion of air is desired in the root zone increasing the time between watering will increase the percent of air.

However, my Candy Kush Auto seems to be loving life an seems to be pretty big for being just 10 days old:
cka1702-1.jpg

And with Dark Devil Auto I did a pic at 8am this morning and then tried to repeat the same shot at 8pm. The 4 hour dark period was in the middle....12-4.

8am:
dda1702-1.jpg

8pm:
dda1702-2.jpg

Wonder if it grows even more in the 12 hour periods with the lights on....I want to try to track that over a number of days. ;)

I have grown nft just not at scale. I think once the plants fully rooted leaving the pump on is perfect as there is a good amount of root constantly exposed to air and once you get a mat of roots ur flying. I def think in the beginning you will get faster better results if you only turn pump on for a few minutes when the rockwool dries out. I know for a fact your roots will develop faster and in turn will lead in an explosion of growth once you turn pump on full time.

Just my opinion. But im sure you be fine.

I'm a sucker for DD strain. Let's keep this party going.

Cheers

HOD hasn't fired roots out into the tray yet so I switched the pump off and will let it dry out for a bit. I'll put it back on later as I'm going out and can end up not getting much time to maintain my grow between Thursday afternoons and Sunday mornings.

DDA looks to me like it grew more in the 12 hours including the dark period yesterday than it did in the last 12 hours:
dda1802-1.jpg

It's not a lot of data to go on but it does reassure me a bit that the dark period is still useful and I might get bigger plants if I stick with 20/4 rather than go 24/0 with lights for autos.

Now subbed (as usual). Not sure about turning off the pump, think it better 24/7. Autos do need a dark period and only way to find out optimal light schedules with autos is a side by side grow with exact same plants and lights but running them on different schedules. Most people are with 18/6, some are 20/4 with a few saying 24/0. Most of the time people dont have the space to do side by side comparison grows with differing light schedules.

Your DDA looks a little limp in places with leaves curling down and other leaves turning up along the outer ridges. Is that not a sign of temps too high/low or possibly incorrect feed (eg too much or too little)? Just what i spotted from your pics. Perhaps it is nothing to worry about but thought i best point it out. And it is looking good for only a month or so old.

Didnt know you germinated straight into rockwool cubes. I have a 100% success rate using the paper towel method with seeds that i have paid for. How to transplant into growing medium? Use tweezers that have been sterlised (boiling water, alcohol or anything else that cleans well) and just be careful and take your time. Wait till tap root is approx 1/2" long (maybe less) before transplanting.

Now subbed (as usual). Not sure about turning off the pump, think it better 24/7. Autos do need a dark period and only way to find out optimal light schedules with autos is a side by side grow with exact same plants and lights but running them on different schedules. Most people are with 18/6, some are 20/4 with a few saying 24/0. Most of the time people dont have the space to do side by side comparison grows with differing light schedules.

Your DDA looks a little limp in places with leaves curling down and other leaves turning up along the outer ridges. Is that not a sign of temps too high/low or possibly incorrect feed (eg too much or too little)? Just what i spotted from your pics. Perhaps it is nothing to worry about but thought i best point it out. And it is looking good for only a month or so old.

Didnt know you germinated straight into rockwool cubes. I have a 100% success rate using the paper towel method with seeds that i have paid for. How to transplant into growing medium? Use tweezers that have been sterlised (boiling water, alcohol or anything else that cleans well) and just be careful and take your time. Wait till tap root is approx 1/2" long (maybe less) before transplanting.

Turning off the pump is the perfect thing to do when the plants arent well rooted into the rockwool. Keeping the rockwool wet at this stage isnt productive to healthy root growth. There is no way the rockwool will dry out in 24 hours at that size. Then just turn pump on when rockwool starts to dry and leave on 24/7 once roots are formed.

The issue could also be root related if there is any root rot so def worth checking if water temps are too high or damaged because temps too low. Tap water is very cold in north at this time of year.

As for seeds the paper towel method is def the best way to germinate for sure. I very rarely lose a seed when i use them. But no need to use sterilised tweezers to transplant. just use fingers and dont be super rough. tweezers are fiddly as hell and easy to drop seedling. With a long tap root they safe to handle as long as you arent rough. I would however use boiling water on the paper towels to kill any nasties that may be there.

Fingers to transplant seeds?!?!? In my book that is a big no no. Your fingers contain oils that can be detremental to those young seedlings, even if you have freshly washed them. If you want to use your fingers then cover then with plastic/rubber gloves. I have always used sterilised tweezers and if you read the various forums, websites or even the bible (jorge cervantes guide to marijuana horticulture) they all say the same thing. Hats off to you if you use fingers and they mske it, personally i wouldnt.

mate ive grown 10's of thousands of plants. right now i have in the region of 700 plants growing of which 200 are from seed. everyone transplanted with my fingers and everyone alive. Ive read lots of things over the 15years or so ive been growing and alot of it os bollocks. I have grown just about everyway you can think of and made it work. Im not saying grab tap roots and handle roughly but there is absolutely nothing wrong with picking germed seeds up with fingers. i am journalling around 80 or 90 plants now that were all transplanted that way and plants at 4 and half weeks look better than some peoples that are finished.

Each to their own but using sterilized tweezers is unnecessary trust me.

Gowdy G :) Have you checked out Cultivator's journal? The kind of stuff I'm sure we'd both like to have going on he has been doing for years.

It's one of those journals written by someone with so much experience I'd put it on my required reading list along with Lembatoast's journals.

Back
Top Bottom