1st Try At DWC/Soil Grow - Huckleberry - Cherry Pie - Dogwalker OG - Malawi Gold

So here I go again. I let my garden go and let all my clones and mother plants die off due to unforeseen issues with life, but things are settling down some and it is time to re-astablish a few strains. A fellow member of 420, I will not name him since I do not know off hand if he would be cool with me naming him, was my secret Santa and when I mentioned I was interested in growing some different strains, he sent me seeds of I believe like 7 different varieties from his stock. The Huckleberry and the Malawi Gold are from his stock. I am very excited to grow his varieties and get a mother of each established so I can keep these strains available to me. I had heard some very good reviews on the strain, Cherrie Pie which is a Sativa dominate Hybrid, so when I found 2 clones of Cherry Pie for sale I had to buy both. Sadly the clones were at the Green Planet Dispensary in Beaverton Oregon and when I went to pick them up, their selection of clones was pathetic. Some of the clones literally did not have 1 leave on the plant which was not 50% brown and dead. Of the 2 Cherrie Pie clones only one even looked like it could be salvaged, so I only bought one. The Dogwalker was purchased at Westside Medical dispensary and while their clones looked fantastic and healthy, their selection of varieties were either strains I had already grown or were hybrids which were Indica dominate and I was looking for Sativa dominate.
When I popped the seeds around 14 days ago I had just got laid off my new job and figured it could be a week or two before I could get a new job, unfortunately for my starts, I got a new job in 3 days and we are working 56 hours a week so I haven't had the time to keep a day to day progression of each plant but I have tried to take a few pictures ever 3 or 4 days.
Once I repot the seeds into 1 gallon pots out of the 3 inch pots I will choose one which I will rinse all of the soil away from the roots and transplant it into a DWC bucket. My original plan was to have 2 buckets for 1 plant. That way when I do nutrient change outs every 7 days I can flip it into the other bucket, so I can thoroughly clean the used bucket before I re-use it the following week. The DWC grow will be an indoor grow, while the others will end up as an outdoor grow and become Mother plants of the Cherri Pie, Malawi Gold and Huckleberry. I will be cloning once they are large enough and will determine males from females as soon as I possibly can to weed out the males.
At this point, I am in not in any rush to get a crop in till end of summer, so I will be concentrating on building up a good healthy stock of Mothers, and at least 4 large plants to go into flower come fall for my early fall/winter grow.
In this grow I switch my tents around and will be using my larger tent for my Veg tent since I will only be flowering 1 plant indoors until later on this year. At that point I will with them back to accommodate more plants in flower.

OK enough jabbering, time to see what I have going on.

What strain is it? (3)Huckleberry, (1)Cherry Pie, (1)Dogwalker OG and (3)Malawi Gold
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? All are Hybrids, with Sativa dominance. % I do not know
Is it in Veg or Flower stage? Veg at this time.
If in Veg... For how long? Today is a little over 2 weeks since I popped the 1st seeds.
If in Flower stage... For how long? Not yet/ N/A
Indoor or outdoor? Indoor for now until the middle to end of May.
Soil or Hydro? Right now all are in soil but I have 2 DWC buckets set up which I will be planting at least 1 plant into once I am ready.
If soil... what is in your mix? Fox Farm Ocean Forests
If soil... What size pot? Right now I have 2 in 1 gallon plastic pots and 6 in 3 inch plastic pots which should be ready to be up potted in about a week. Depending on if the plant is going to become a mother or will be eventually moved into flower, mothers will be in 5 gallon fabric pots, where as the ones either flowered inside or outside will be transferred into 7 1/2 gallon fabric pots. Out door plants will be transferred outside into a small green house we got from a friend this year around the 1st of May, perhaps the end of April depending on weather patterns.
Size of light? Presently I have my Mars-Hydro 900 on them, but also have 2 more LED lights which will be used as needed. I also have 2 eight lamp t-5 fluorescent light fixtures which will eventually be used when I start flowering. Flowering plants will get LEDs and Veg/Mothers will get T-5's
Is it aircooled? Intake air is pulled from living space air which has central AC/NG heat.
Temp of Room/cab? 74 to 85 degrees during lights on, drops to mid to high 60's during lights out.
Size of Veg Tent- 5x10
Size of Flower Tent-4x4
RH of Room/cab? Between 40% to 67% depending on time of day
PH of media or res? Soil PH will be held between 6.2 to 6.7 and DWC will be kept between 5.5 to 6.0
Any Pests ? None at this time, washed both tents with a 10% bleach solution then followed up with a 6% hydrogen-peroxide solution before starting this grow.
How often are you watering? Soil= as the plant asks for it. When pots are light plants show signs of needing water. DWC= will be changing receivers every 7 days with fresh nutrients, and only topping off with PH'd water daily.
Type and strength of ferts used? Fox Farms Grow Big, Tiger Bloom, Beastie Bloomz Cha Ching, Open Sesame, General Hydroponics Cal/Mag, and General Hydroponics Armor Si --- As for strength I will be following FF feeding schedules for Soil and Hydro though I will be tweeting it slightly depending on what the plants are asking for.

DSC_20942.jpg
DSC_2095.jpg
DSC_2097.jpg
DSC_2098.jpg
DSC_20991.jpg

DSC_21041.jpg
DSC_2118.jpg

A few days later a few more seeds popped and I was up to 3 Huckleberry and 3 Malawi Gold. The Dogwalker OG was getting exceptionally bushy for its size and the fan leaves were blocking much of the new growth on the interior of the plant so I cut about a 1/2 dozen of the larger fan leaves off her to let more light into the core.
The Cherrie Pie is starting to look better, she just needed some tender loving care, which she obviously was not getting before I bought her.
DSC_21241.jpg
DSC_2125.jpg
DSC_21271.jpg
DSC_2112.jpg
DSC_2121.jpg

Sorry for such a long intro but this really is a few updates compressed into one I will try to limit each up date to no more then 7 days between updates hopefully ever few days if time allows.
Hope everyones gardens are green and pest free.:circle-of-love:

Re: 1st try at DWC/Soil combo grow-Huckleberry, Cherry Pie, Dogwalker OG and Malawi G

Ok, I'm seated for this one. that is some interesting strains. Good work, and good luck :thumb:
Welcome Volksbud :byebye:
Thank you for joining in on my grow, I am hoping to pop a fewer seeds of a couple of other varieties in the next few weeks just for Mothers so I will have a larger variety to choose from for each grow. This grow is not turning out quiet what I had envisioned, but I am taking it one day at a time and trying to plan for the future.

Re: 1st try at DWC/Soil combo grow-Huckleberry, Cherry Pie, Dogwalker OG and Malawi G

Good day Governor :rofl:

I am sorry to hear your garden has unwelcome visitors. Though I do believe they do not stand a chance of winning the battle against you. As for my DWC adventure, I feel almost like I am cheating in some way, after all I have Rifleman in my corner for when I have any kinds of issues.
Much love back at you my friend across the pond :love:

I would love to come along on your DWC adventure. I sure do love me some bubble buckets. I have been so much more successful growing dwc than i ever was in soil and I'm excited for you. When everything is dialed in, you can almost see the pretty ladies growing. Rifleman is definitely a good one to have in your corner, sir. :goodluck:

I would love to come along on your DWC adventure. I sure do love me some bubble buckets. I have been so much more successful growing dwc than i ever was in soil and I'm excited for you. When everything is dialed in, you can almost see the pretty ladies growing. Rifleman is definitely a good one to have in your corner, sir. :goodluck:

Thanks for joining in, hopefully I will have something in the DWC by the end of this week.. I thought about getting Rifleman in my corner but he always travels with Roscoe, and the way that dog farts, I do not have the money to buy another Carbon filter. Actually Rifleman is a good friend of mine, and I have already told him that if I ever have any issues with my DWC he will be getting a PM :cheesygrinsmiley:

Ok I was looking at my pictures on my cell phone and realized I had taken a few pictures of when I 1st started this current grow, I know a bit late but thought I would share them with you.

IMG_158926.jpg
IMG_158820.jpg

as you can see the Cherry Pie was not a very healthy or happy plant when I got her. Unlike the Dogwalker OG which was happy and healthy from day 1.

IMG_159124.jpg
IMG_159222.jpg

These were the 1st seeds to pop. Yes I was a giddy as a school girl when I found them.

IMG_159531.jpg

then and now

IMG_159924.jpg

WHASSSUP?
I thought you'd fallen off the face of the earth! Your last journal sort of ... ended.
I see you are still at it, but but decided to join the dark side (DWC). :cheesygrinsmiley:
Best of luck!

so I have taken a few pictures of the garden, and I have to say I am a putz. I have been so tired when I get home from work I poke my head into the garden and if they are not drooping, its into the shower and get ready for dinner.
PH in DWC is 5.7 and 1/4 strength nutrients. PH of water in soil is run at 6.2
Temps have been all over the place, with highs of 87 and lows in the low 60's. RH% has been high also holding pretty steady at 52% and occasionally dropping into the high 40's. Need to work on getting these numbers under control better. May have to break down and buy a dehumidifier.
Both lights in grow area are only burning the blue spectrum though I may give them full spectrum some time this week. Lights are between 16 to 24 inches above the plants. I also have 3 oscillating fans running at all times.

I started seeing nitrogen difficencies in my DWC but my water levels appeared to be ok so I just forgot about it till today. Here is where the PUTZ comment comes into play, I drain my bucket and get ready to start refilling it, when I look at the bottle I have in my hand getting ready to mix up this weeks nutrients. It is the wrong bottle, I used Big Bloom when I should have been using Grow Big. In all honesty I am surprised I did not kill the poor gal. Here is a picture of the DWC so you can see what I am referring to.

DSC_21742.jpg

Lower leaves are all yellow and plant looks very sad.

I have been trimming the fan leaves on the Dogwalker OG to allow light into the inner part of the plant. I have done it 2 times now, each time taking around a dozen leaves each time. The nodes are packed on like cord wood on this gal.

IMG_166931.jpg

As you can see even with all the defoliation I have done she still appears to be quiet perky and full.

The Cherrie Pie has improved some and I will be removing all of here damaged leaves once she starts to fill in a bit. She started out very rough, and does not appear to be filling out as much as I was hoping she would, but it is still early.

DSC_21692.jpg

The Huckleberry and Malawi Gold are doing better though one of the Huckleberry plants just has not decided to reach up for the light. Not sure why, perhaps she just likes it down low better.

IMG_167736.jpg
DSC_2181.jpg
DSC_2175.jpg
DSC_21661.jpg

DSC_21642.jpg

here is a shot of the garden as a whole and a few shots that normally get edited out.

DSC_2190.jpg
DSC_21962.jpg
DSC_2198.jpg

Well so much for my day off from work, it is almost 5 and I am still in my PJ's. Time to smoke a bowl of hash and grab some dinner before it is time to call it a night already. Going to bed at 7:30 and up at 4:00 is really a drag on my garden.
Counting the days till retirement so I can garden in peace without a schedule. Only 2,280 days to go:rofl:

WHASSSUP?
I thought you'd fallen off the face of the earth! Your last journal sort of ... ended.
I see you are still at it, but but decided to join the dark side (DWC). :cheesygrinsmiley:
Best of luck!
I doubt I will ever stop growing in soil, it is just to easy. I always wanted to give hydro a try and well as you can see I am not doing very well right out of the gate.
Oh by the way.. nice looking plant that you entered in the PoTM. :goodjob:

I doubt I will ever stop growing in soil, it is just to easy. I always wanted to give hydro a try and well as you can see I am not doing very well right out of the gate.
Oh by the way.. nice looking plant that you entered in the PoTM. :goodjob:

Thanks OG! LA is taking us all to school this month, but I'm happy with her. She and her evil twin are the first pure Sativas I tried to grow. They are taking their time. Maybe I can re-enter her in a month...or two. :thedoubletake:

I tried a form of hydro with rockwool. It was an epic fail. I might try again some day (probably not) if I get really bored with current methods. :cheesygrinsmiley:
I did have good success back in the day with simple gravity-fed drip fertigation using straight perlite. I could leave for a week and not worry, except the ripoffs got as much of my grows as I did.

Took a peek in the DWC bucket when I got home today just to check and make sure the clay balls were at least staying damp since I lowered the water level in my DWC Sunday when I changed out the water/nutrients and there were no signs of any roots to be seen. Well was I ever surprised. Roots !!! Not many but it is a start.
As you can see my screw up with using the wrong nutrients the 1st week did quite a bit of damage to the gal but she apparently likes the new batch I set her up with.

DSC_2216.jpg
DSC_2200.jpg

I FIM'd the plants in the 1 gallon pots and also the DWC.
The Dogwalker OG appears to be liking the light on her inner branches. All in all for what little time I have to take care of the girls right now I am pretty happy with the way things are going.
DSC_2214.jpg
DSC_2203.jpg

Back
Top Bottom