Grouchygreenz - First DWC Cabinet Grow - NL - LED

We can consider this a first grow as I won't count outdoor grows or the DWC grow i finished for a friend. So please, any feedback is welcomed. This is a test run. If successful, I will build a nice big area to grow a bunch of plants. This will be a scrog grow, first attempt.

Let's start off with the cabinet. We took an old entertainment center, a third of it, and converted it into what it is today. Dimensions are 16" deep, 24" wide and 48" tall. Not a ton of room but this is just for sharts and gargles. Cut in an entertainment center dual fan, 104 cfm, into the back up high. Intake will be on the side somewhere, passive with carbon filter padding eventually. Started the seedling with a ghetto cfl hood setup whilst awaiting the Mars 300 LED.

Strain is Northern Lights
Doing a 3 gallon DWC single bucket, single plant. This is the test run, remember. I have some other beans for the future. 3 Jack Herer, 5 Gold Leaf, 4 more NL, and 10 mystery seeds that I will not be playing with unless an emergency comes about. So the future looks green 

Hopefully will post pictures of what's going on soon, new to 420 Magazine, but have been around watching for awhile. And we plan to hang around as long as our thumbs stay green and our lungs full. Any suggestions will be happily taken. Thanks
Mr. And Mrs. Grouchygreenz

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using 420 Magazine Mobile App

420-magazine-mobile1829739810.jpg

Hi Growchygreenz neat setup . I'm a week or so in front with mine. Quick question, what do the clay balls bring to the party?

I've got some but wasn't sure wether to use them..

Stay uplifted .

Weblock

Sent from my iPad using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Hey GrowchyGreenz,

Welcome to :420:

Found your journal so I figured id join the ride. What nutrients are you going to be using? Your cabinet looks like a great, easy, diy Good job! Any questions you might have feel free ask away. I've been doing dwc for some time. This community is awesome and everyone is willing to give you advise if needed. The only thing that I may suggest is a carbon filter because it can get stinky. If smell is of no issue to you then you have a great setup!

Keep'em green!

GreenSmurf
:green_heart:

Also you might want to add a signature to your grow journal. This will help people find your journal when posting in different areas on the site. Click on the link below created by an awesome member cannafan for a great how to

how-create-signature-step-step-pictorial-8420/

Hi Growchygreenz neat setup . I'm a week or so in front with mine. Quick question, what do the clay balls bring to the party?

I've got some but wasn't sure wether to use them..

Stay uplifted .

Weblock

Sent from my iPad using 420 Magazine Mobile App
Thanks weblock, the clay balls are just the medium in which I am growing. Perfect for dwc as they have a neutral ph and actually retain water pretty good. It's a must if you're using dwc bucket or tub with net pots.
Gg

Hey GrowchyGreenz,

Welcome to :420:

Found your journal so I figured id join the ride. What nutrients are you going to be using? Your cabinet looks like a great, easy, diy Good job! Any questions you might have feel free ask away. I've been doing dwc for some time. This community is awesome and everyone is willing to give you advise if needed. The only thing that I may suggest is a carbon filter because it can get stinky. If smell is of no issue to you then you have a great setup!

Keep'em green!

GreenSmurf
:green_heart:
Yes, welcome to my journal. Thank you for joinging. I'm going to try and figure the sig out today, using the app at the moment. Currently running straight water. When she looks ready for it we have AN Jungle Juice grow, micro and bloom. Will also be using some calmag. Not sure what else I'll be using, probably something like a bud candy closer to the end. Also using hydroguard. Trying to exercise patience so I don't jump the gun and kill the little lady.
As for the filter, smell is of no issue yet, but it will definitely be an issue when she grows up a little. Was going to try some sort of carbon activated padding to cover the passive intake and maybe the exhaust too. I saw someone make a little enclosure around their fan, was a flush mount cpu fan, that way they were able to connect the can style filter that way. I may just use the filter padding idk, any ideas? Didn't have enough room to use an inline with this little cab. Any suggestions are always welcome and appreciated.
Gg.

Your right, no need for nutrients just yet still a lil sprout. Sounds like you have a solid plan with your lineup.

If your exhaust fan speed is good and always running, you may not need to cover the intake, just the exhaust. I like the idea of activated carbon pads, may work perfectly for your setup. I also like the idea of the added box. I would also pick up some gel air fresheners.

You could still use a can style filter if you choose to. If space is an issue inside just put the filter outside the cabinet and use some ducting. Attach ductwork from exhaust hole on the outside of your cabinet to can filter sitting on top, on the side, wherever you decide to place it. Also you could build/use a small box, use the the method above but instead of a can filter, place the activated pad(s) inside the box. Plenty of ideas and different ways you can clean the air. No right/wrong it's all what works best for you.

Thanks weblock, the clay balls are just the medium in which I am growing. Perfect for dwc as they have a neutral ph and actually retain water pretty good. It's a must if you're using dwc bucket or tub with net pots.
Gg

Nice one Growchy . doesnt apply to me then as im using soil. I thought maybe it held the water (as you confirmed)

Thanks buddy .

Sent from my HTC 10 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Your right, no need for nutrients just yet still a lil sprout. Sounds like you have a solid plan with your lineup.

If your exhaust fan speed is good and always running, you may not need to cover the intake, just the exhaust. I like the idea of activated carbon pads, may work perfectly for your setup. I also like the idea of the added box. I would also pick up some gel air fresheners.

You could still use a can style filter if you choose to. If space is an issue inside just put the filter outside the cabinet and use some ducting. Attach ductwork from exhaust hole on the outside of your cabinet to can filter sitting on top, on the side, wherever you decide to place it. Also you could build/use a small box, use the the method above but instead of a can filter, place the activated pad(s) inside the box. Plenty of ideas and different ways you can clean the air. No right/wrong it's all what works best for you.
This is a stealth grow so unfortunately must stay inside. probably wind up with something really simple like a thin cardboard box with a fan sized cutout on the side glued into the back if the cab around the fan and just slide some carbon pads in there.
Best we can do with the small space but I'm hoping to make max it's potential until we can arrange a bigger space. It's crazy how silent it all is. aside from some small light leaks it's basically invisible.

Nice one Growchy . doesnt apply to me then as im using soil. I thought maybe it held the water (as you confirmed)

Thanks buddy .

Sent from my HTC 10 using 420 Magazine Mobile App
Indeed, set those aside or toss some in the bottom of your pot for a little extra drainage. Lights on in a couple minutes, every days like christmas

Little update, not much happening with the Lil lady, but made some improvements to the cab. Put some reflective aluminum tape on the inside of the door, was reflecting red hues around the cab so that had to be done

420-magazine-mobile1457708412.jpg

Had some light leaks, including the passive intake so I made a little light dam. Doesn't effect airflow at all, just shields the hole from allowing a lot of light to escape, making it not so stealthy in the evening hours.

420-magazine-mobile1332317759.jpg

And here is our 9 day old NL baby, started some light b-52 in the root zone and some foliar spray. Humidity has been okay.

420-magazine-mobile1298951970.jpg

Not much else doing, changed out the res yesterday with some fresh water, some b52 and hydroguard. Haven't spotted any roots from the bottom of the net pot yet. It's quite deep, the net pot, so being patient. Waters right below the bottom of it, bubbles are keeping the hydroton moist. Now we wait for some action. Gearing up for some explosive growth and the beginning of light nutes, we're stoked.

Oh, and going to conjure up some ideas for the air pump. It's in an annoying spot, think shelving. Any suggestions welcome, you guys are all so ingenious with your cabs. We forgot to thank you for the welcome, greensmurf420, so we thank you for that.

Back
Top Bottom