The Freak's First Journal! - 5 Year Old Bag Seed - CFL/LED - 2016

freakbudz420

Hello everyone! Im excited to start my first journal here. Any input and conversation is encouraged .

The space:

Closet- 2ft x 2.5ft x 4.5ft tall (extra foot if needed as well).

The lights:

Right now they are vegging under 7 - 27 watt CFLs (mix of daytime and cool white). I've ordered two of these
617UJX1oiWL_SL1000_.jpg
I've heard great things about them and the price is right for a test run. I'll be getting them this week and hanging them via pulley system for adjustability.

The beans:

The seeds are from a big ol bag of seeds I've had for almost 10 years. I just keep adding to it so there is no way of telling what I've got lol. I popped 4 and we'll see what happens!!

The grow space
420-magazine-mobile787334924.jpg

The little ones just over a week I believe
420-magazine-mobile310375095.jpg

Some node growth
420-magazine-mobile1606974925.jpg

and when they were wee little ones.
420-magazine-mobile44711274.jpg

Thanks for stopping by!

Freak - Out

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Hey freak! I'm here to sub up for the journey. Managed to find ya while browsing the journals section. Plants are looking fairly healthy. What type of medium are you growing in?

One thing you should try to do is get them cfl's hanging above the plants some. When you do get them hung up, make sure they are laying horizontally, cfl's give off more light from the sides of the bulb rather than the end . A fan would also be another good idea to keep the air moving around the plants (above and below) so that you don't get any hot spots or mold growing. And as always, try not to over water, wait until that dirt is nice and dry! :)

Hey freak! I'm here to sub up for the journey. Managed to find ya while browsing the journals section. Plants are looking fairly healthy. What type of medium are you growing in?

One thing you should try to do is get them cfl's hanging above the plants some. When you do get them hung up, make sure they are laying horizontally, cfl's give off more light from the sides of the bulb rather than the end . A fan would also be another good idea to keep the air moving around the plants (above and below) so that you don't get any hot spots or mold growing. And as always, try not to over water, wait until that dirt is nice and dry! :)

Thanks for stopping by!! and thanks for the tips! The CFLs are really just a temporary set up until my LEDs arrive. I just have them like that so the plants can take in as much light from the side of the bulbs for now. I'll make final choices when I decide on the finished lay out of the lights.

Awesome suggestion on the fans. I've got one out side blowing in when the door is open but I need more airflow inside when it's closed for sure. That's on my list of to do asap.

Good eye on the medium! Haha they were really dry and I just watered when I took the pics :). I'll be using Flora nutes. (Flora grow, flora micro, flora bloom if I can find the damn bloom) The medium itself is a mix of good cooked local soil and about 25% perlite for drainage and air. I haven't decided on final container size but a transplant will be happening soon.

Super excited to see what happens!! Thanks again for stopping in buddy :)

:byebye: Hi!

What healthy looking youngsters you have! Are you planning to flower in that closet as well?

Hey there Fuzz! Welcome! I sure am :). I think I have lots of vertical space to go with. Add in some training and topping I should have a big ol bush in there haha. I honestly can't wait for my leds. I'm excited to see what they produce!

following along with ya.. I <3 all things LED.. and $21 LED's!? I wanna see how they do! =) I might have to throw some in for under lighting!

Looking forward to updates!

following along with ya.. I <3 all things LED.. and $21 LED's!? I wanna see how they do! =) I might have to throw some in for under lighting!

Looking forward to updates!

Right!?? That LED glow though. Amazing. The price is incredible and I know people who have bought 10 because they absolutely love them. I'll withhold judgment until I personally try though. I bought 2 as a tester. Thanks for stopping by!

Thanks for stopping by!! and thanks for the tips! The CFLs are really just a temporary set up until my LEDs arrive. I just have them like that so the plants can take in as much light from the side of the bulbs for now. I'll make final choices when I decide on the finished lay out of the lights.

Awesome suggestion on the fans. I've got one out side blowing in when the door is open but I need more airflow inside when it's closed for sure. That's on my list of to do asap.

Good eye on the medium! Haha they were really dry and I just watered when I took the pics :). I'll be using Flora nutes. (Flora grow, flora micro, flora bloom if I can find the damn bloom) The medium itself is a mix of good cooked local soil and about 25% perlite for drainage and air. I haven't decided on final container size but a transplant will be happening soon.

Super excited to see what happens!! Thanks again for stopping in buddy :)

Ok sounds good, if you need some help when your other lights arrive just us know :)

Yes, fans are always a must inside and out when there is no exhaust system set up. My last grow I had a fan inside pushing air in an upward circle while there was a 24" tall fan outside the tent blowing air in. you will have to make sure you get lots of air exchanges in there daily if possible.

Always good to be sure that the soil is drying out before watering again. By letting it dry out more often (but not completely) this will make the roots grow and go searching for more water/feed. The GH Flora series is very easy to work with, that is the same thing I am using at present. Another good thing to add in with that trio is Armour Si, it will help the plants build up stress resistance. If you are interested in a different feed schedule to go along with those nutrients let me know, that is if you are using the one provided by GH..

Always good to be excited, I'm sure you will do just fine!

Ok sounds good, if you need some help when your other lights arrive just us know :)

Yes, fans are always a must inside and out when there is no exhaust system set up. My last grow I had a fan inside pushing air in an upward circle while there was a 24" tall fan outside the tent blowing air in. you will have to make sure you get lots of air exchanges in there daily if possible.

Always good to be sure that the soil is drying out before watering again. By letting it dry out more often (but not completely) this will make the roots grow and go searching for more water/feed. The GH Flora series is very easy to work with, that is the same thing I am using at present. Another good thing to add in with that trio is Armour Si, it will help the plants build up stress resistance. If you are interested in a different feed schedule to go along with those nutrients let me know, that is if you are using the one provided by GH..

Always good to be excited, I'm sure you will do just fine!

Thanks for all the info! Such a big help. During the day when I'm out and about I leave the door open to get the air flow. I was a bit worried about that. That's one of the main reasons I went with Led was temp worries. I'm sure with all the info here I can figure it out.

I haven't actually started a feeding schedule yet. I was thinking about waiting until they're under the led light. I haven't used flora series in 5 years plus so I can't recall the schedule. I'll definitely have to read up on the stress resistance you're referring to. Sounds good to me.

Freak-Out

Thanks for all the info! Such a big help. During the day when I'm out and about I leave the door open to get the air flow. I was a bit worried about that. That's one of the main reasons I went with Led was temp worries. I'm sure with all the info here I can figure it out.

I haven't actually started a feeding schedule yet. I was thinking about waiting until they're under the led light. I haven't used flora series in 5 years plus so I can't recall the schedule. I'll definitely have to read up on the stress resistance you're referring to. Sounds good to me.

Freak-Out

Not a problem, always here to help out. That's good with leaving the door open, I did the same. Once they start getting stinky you may want to invest in an exhaust setup unless you are not worried about smell. I wasn't lol.. Most led light panels do have lower heat due to new and improved heat sinks and adding cpu fans for extra cooling inside the unit. As for these little led flood lights you have ordered, they may produce a little more heat because they will likely only have a small heat sink inside. I'm sure they wont generate to much heat though.

Your plants are at the stage now that you could give them some nutrients the next time they need water. I would say with this line of nutes you can start them out at half strength as per the schedule but if you are really unsure then start at 1/4 strength. I had my last grow maxed right out on these nutes to see how well they worked, you can have a look at my last grow to see my results. The feed schedule I used is in there somewhere as well.

Not a problem, always here to help out. That's good with leaving the door open, I did the same. Once they start getting stinky you may want to invest in an exhaust setup unless you are not worried about smell. I wasn't lol.. Most led light panels do have lower heat due to new and improved heat sinks and adding cpu fans for extra cooling inside the unit. As for these little led flood lights you have ordered, they may produce a little more heat because they will likely only have a small heat sink inside. I'm sure they wont generate to much heat though.

Your plants are at the stage now that you could give them some nutrients the next time they need water. I would say with this line of nutes you can start them out at half strength as per the schedule but if you are really unsure then start at 1/4 strength. I had my last grow maxed right out on these nutes to see how well they worked, you can have a look at my last grow to see my results. The feed schedule I used is in there somewhere as well.

I'm not overly worried about smell. Maybe just for the courtesy of non 420 guests. If it gets too stinky I can always put that entire room of my home into negative pressure and have it vent out the window. I'll wait and see for that.

I'll go check out that grow now and do some reading. That's perfect for me seeing as it's the same nutes! Thanks!

Freak-Out

I'm not overly worried about smell. Maybe just for the courtesy of non 420 guests. If it gets too stinky I can always put that entire room of my home into negative pressure and have it vent out the window. I'll wait and see for that.

I'll go check out that grow now and do some reading. That's perfect for me seeing as it's the same nutes! Thanks!

Freak-Out

That's good then, if you aren't to worried about it then it's all good!

Well color me confused. I can understand how you can run veg without an exhaust, but how does that work during flowering? If there is no exhaust system set up, then the door has to be kept open right? If the door is open, how do you control the light for 12/12?
I lucked out during my last grow while I was in the unfinished basement, the humidity level was fairly low down there during the spring and summer unless it got really rainy and muggy outside. Every morning when I woke up I opened that tent up and at night I would close the door majority of the way and just leave it open a crack to blow fresh air in a little bit. The tent was back in the corner of the basement and only 1 small window, the light leaks weren't enough to screw anything up.. I was fairly careful about it and always right on top of it.

Well color me confused. I can understand how you can run veg without an exhaust, but how does that work during flowering? If there is no exhaust system set up, then the door has to be kept open right? If the door is open, how do you control the light for 12/12?

Haha Fuzz.. This is going to be a learning process for me using this grow space. I'm confident I can figure something out to work though. With the door shut and lights on for 4 hours the temps touched just over 80. I'm hoping the LEDs and addition of fans brings that down a touch. I can keep the door open a few hours a day and there is a window in the room that is always open with an intake fan for fresh air. The room the closet is in is located in the basement so light leaks aren't a big concern thankfully. You've given me some things to consider my friend!! Thanks for stopping in :)

Ahh basements! Lucky ducks. I wish I had a basement.

I still am concerned about putting a flowering plant in a small closed space though. The larger the plant the greater the area of transpiration which is going to increase the humidity in that closed space rather significantly in my experience. And even with fans, if the heat doesn't have anywhere to go, it's unlikely a fan is going to cool the space enough to make a significant difference - especially combined with the higher humidity in the room. Maybe I'm just being a worry-wart but I encourage you to consider a constant exhaust method, even if it's just leaving the door open the whole day. I'd really like to see your grow succeed. Obviously, I'm not intimately familiar with your space and may just be worrying about nothing though.

And don't even get me started on my paranoia over not having a carbon filter planned. :laughtwo: I don't know how anyone does that without nightmares the last month of flowering.

Ahh basements! Lucky ducks. I wish I had a basement.

I still am concerned about putting a flowering plant in a small closed space though. The larger the plant the greater the area of transpiration which is going to increase the humidity in that closed space rather significantly in my experience. And even with fans, if the heat doesn't have anywhere to go, it's unlikely a fan is going to cool the space enough to make a significant difference - especially combined with the higher humidity in the room. Maybe I'm just being a worry-wart but I encourage you to consider a constant exhaust method, even if it's just leaving the door open the whole day. I'd really like to see your grow succeed. Obviously, I'm not intimately familiar with your space and may just be worrying about nothing though.

And don't even get me started on my paranoia over not having a carbon filter planned. :laughtwo: I don't know how anyone does that without nightmares the last month of flowering.

You've given me some great points to ponder my friend! I too want to see it succeed :). I've gotta pick up another rh monitor as the old one I had is no longer working. Let's consider this the test grow! Haha. "Grow by ear" and see how we make out! We're just getting started :)

Look what I got today!! Hung them up and got them running right away! Im extremely impressed. Theyre super bright and put out barely any heat at all. Plus they look awesome! A few pictures for you :) Let me know what you think!!! Im even more excited now haha.

Edit: Oh! and I fed for the first time this morning as the soil was right dry. 1/4 strength Flora Series :). Hopefully they like the food and the light!
IMG_42427.JPG
IMG_424312.JPG
IMG_424410.JPG
IMG_42459.JPG

I can't wait to see how the lights do. They're really cute. How many actual watts are they each?

Those babies look snug as a bug in a rug. Will you be transplanting soon?

Hey there Fuzz! They draw a whopping 14.8 at the wall each lol. They're putting out a ton of light for that. I adjusted them a bit so they're more even. I'll put up a picture soon. I want to transplant, but I'm nervous haha. Maybe I'll do it now. It's amazing in the small amount of time under the LED light the little ones have already perked up! I'm excited to see what happens from here. Thanks for checking it!

Freak-Out

Back
Top Bottom