420's 12/12 From Seed, SOG, Hydro NFT, Grow Journal

UserNameD

:welcome: to my grow journal on :420:

I wanted to share my experience as an hydro NFT grower. I've been growing for many years. Not many grow journals are made using this hydroponic NFT technique and rockwool. Even less are about both NFT and 12/12 from seed. I was looking for some grow journals, for comparaison purposes. I only grow using this particular technique which in the end gives the same results as a Sea Of Green but without the 3 month veg. Basically, I can harvest 4 times a year if I'd want to.

This technique allows to save electricity as there is almost no 18/6. Also as plants wont grow high the light penetration is optimized and plants required only a very little trim. No branch cutting and suckers if done right. No training. Less stress, more buds. Only Colas!

Also, I am trying strains bought from Feminized Barney's Farm, which is a first for me. I received the seeds quickly. Prices are nice too. I also greatly appreciated the possibility to buy any amount of seeds. Plus you can choose your free seeds :)

On this grow, there are (credits to Barney's farm for the following pictures):
-3 Blue Cheese
Blue_Cheese10.jpg

-1 Violator Kush
Viaolator_Kush.jpg

-2 NYCD Auto (never tried an auto before)
NYCD_auto.jpg

-1 LSD
LSD20.jpg

-1 Morning Glory (the only strain I already know, but not from Barney's)
Morning_glory.jpg

That makes 8 ! Basically, Indica dominant for this grow. I'm looking for a quick harvest and different flavors.
The implantation depends on the flowering time needed for these strains. They shan't be too far appart within each tank.

The grow space is a 120cmX120cmX200cm Silver Box. Light is provided by 600W HPS lamp in a cooled reflector (Hydrostar) powered by a 380 cubic meters an hour extractor. Intraction is passive and flows from bottom to top where hot air is extracted. The air is sucked into the filter and pushed out through the reflector, out of the grow tent. This tent size allows me to maintain acceptable temperatures for the plants as well as extracting humidity from the space as plants won't grow very high.

The NFT systems I use are GroTank 205. They can contain up to 20L of solution and are perfect for my need:
GT205.png

The nutes are Metrop fertilizers. Very heavy stuff. Very happy about it.
DSC_017022.JPG

I follow this grow schedule:

Schema_Gab.jpg

The plants were put to germination directly in ph adjusted wet rockwool on sept. 12th 2016 and 100% sprouted in 2 days.

I allowed a 7 days veg period (under 600W HPS) which makes this grow not really a 12/12 from seed but almost (I waited for first branches).The reason is I had not enough seeds to plant 12 to 16 plants. I only grow 8 plants this time. Hence about a week of veg before switching to 12/12.

Hydro NFT REQUIRES to daily check PH and EC. Don't even begin to think about growing without these in NFT.
I use 2 decimal devices. I find them very reliable and precise but always calibrate them once a month, just to be sure ^^
testeurs.png

PH is checked every single day and adjusted if mesured above 6.2. I usually set it to 5.5 and let it drift untill 6.2.
EC is also checked everyday. Metrop is a bit different as EC must stay low. I won't go above 1.5.
Lamp is set to 30cm from apexes. Then 60cm during stretch, then back to 40cm untill harvest.

TIPS for NFT users:
PH:
-At the begining you will surely see huge variations in PH. It usually goes up. I can jump from 5,5 to 6.9 in a single day. Don't worry it's normal. The roots have not colonized all the medium, influencing PH stability.
-The PH will not vary at the same rate in veg, early flowering and late flowering.
-If you start to see your PH drop, it usually is a bad sign: Nutes too high, root bound (check for light on roots), algae, fungus and all sorts of pests. To avoid fungus and algae, make sure to totally cover your rockwool with the appropriate material and close your tank.
-In flower stage, plants require a higher PH than in veg to allow particular nutrients intakes. During the flowering state I set the PH between 5,8 and 6.2 to increase PK intake and lower N intake.

EC:
-If your EC is stable, that means you're achieved perfect dosage for the plants needs.
-If it drops, don't worry it's okay (as long as you change your solution before it drops too low). The plants are showing you that they want more food. Hence the concentration diminushes. If it starts to go up again, that means you waited too long before a refill, you are flushing them.
-If it rises. it usually means you are over fertilizing. Plants compensate by over drinking, making your solution getting more and more concentrated. A vicious loop so to speak.

Now about the current situation. Plantlings were switched to 12/12 on sept. 22nd. which makes it 14 days of 12/12. One NYCD (the left one) has been showing sex for several days now, which is quite crazy as this usually doesn't happen for at least 5 more days. I hope it will stretch anyway or i'll have a dwarf!! I'll clone this one because it shows promise of real quick flowering.

Currently, the EC have been droping from 1.3 to 1.02 in 3 days so I made a refill. It is made of:
12 mL AminoXtrem
4mL MR1
4mL Calgreen
and 6,5ml of PH-
reaching EC 1.17 and ph 5.65 for 15 L.
The tanks will be purged and refilled with brand new solution in 2 or 3 days, depending on EC variations.

Each week I spray a dose of Calgreen on the plants. 3 days after the Calgreen, MR1/MR2 is sprayed with the same precautions. Avoid spraying your buds with MR2, only the leaves. The EC in foliar is set under the tank EC so that plants don't get used to get their food via foliar medium

I'll wait for sex to show on every plant before I start to use MR2 in the tank (PK 40/20) although, the early NYCD will receive a dose of 50/50 MR1/MR2 on foliar in 4 days.

Plants on Sept. 28th, 17 days from seeds, 7 days in 12/12:
28_09.png

Note that you can't even see the rockwool. It's very important to not let the light reach the roots.

The picture under are from an hour ago, 23 days from seed and 14 days of 12/12:
room67.jpg

DSC_017126.JPG
DSC_016923.JPG

Plants looks happy to me. Little bushes of joy. The Lamp is 60cm away from apexes. Plants are 25cm "high". 24h ago they were 23cm. The stretch is ongoing and should get crazy in few days (5 to 7cm a day).

If anyone wants to share their experiene growing these strains from Barney's, please, tell me about it :thanks:

Hello.

Little update during the stretch.

PH jumped to 6.2 in the left tank, 6,5-ish on the right. Downed it to 5,79 on both sides.
I forgot to mention. There are two pumps in each tank. One for feeding the plants, one to continuously mix the solution. 24/7 On.

TIPS: Always turn off your feeding pump when you adjust PH directly in the tank.

EC dropped to 1.07 again. They are really hungry! I'll change the nute tomorrow. Meanwhile I sprayed them with MR1 at EC 1.02 instead of calgreen. No Calgreen this week.

They grew well since the last 12 hours. Several centimeters (2~4cm). Especially the morning glory who is growing taller than the others( took 5cm in less than 15 hours) If it continues i'll have to even the canopy:
DSC_0015120.JPG

Also, I took some pictures about the roots. They are healthy. No algae developpment on top of the rockwool:
roots108.JPG

Another important tip on NFT: Always check your pumps. Roots or pieces of nutrient film can clog the pump. Your plants would then suffer very rapidly of dehydration and nute defficiency

These auto are really really fast! The second NYCD also shows sex. Also, the second NYCD has well developped branches. To avoid cutting stems and leaves while allowing branches to have light, I always put the big leaves under. I also performed a pinch on all apexes a week into 12/12.
NYCD-1.JPG
NYCD210.JPG

Some not yellow picture, to evaluate the health:
DSC_0017103.JPG

Tiny nute burns. but that's what you got to deal with when you grow multiple strains in the same tank.

And an overall picture:
DSC_0012129.JPG

I find that LSD strain requires less nutes than all the other plants in this grow. She's showing tiny signs of nute burns since Oct. 1st.

Anybody has a feeback on Barney's farm strains ? :thanks:

Nice start to a journal mate
Do you wait till you have roots coming out of the rock wool before putting into the nft
what sort of yields do you usually pull

Thanks Scoobynew :) Well yes. But that requires an explanation. I've got an aquarium at home with tropical fishes. I make the seed germinate inside tamponed bits or rockwool, inside the aquarium. I put the rockwool inside a plastic box so that it floats. 90%HR and 26°C. Purrfect. As soon as they sprout, I put them under 125W CFL untill I see the first leaves.(about 6 hours) then I transplant them in bigger rockwool pads, inside the grotank. Usually at this point I can see the the first root coming out the bit of of rockwool. This operation requires a lot of preparation and order. At this point:

-receiving rockwool cubes must be tamponned for several hours in PH 5.5 water with a lill bit of root stimulator and N (I add about 0.1 EC of fertilizer)
-cover pads must be cut to fit the number of plants and the size of cubes.(As in the diagram shown in previous post)
-Additinnal light insulation is pasted on the cover. The insulation is larger than the cover (5 to 10 cm on each side)
-Nutrient film is put on top of the tank.
-Rockwool cubes are set in place on the nutrient film. (not transplanting yet)
-Pumps are tested and adjusted
-Put the cover on and let the rockwool be taller. I cut squared holes a bit larger than the cubes.
-Transplant very carefully. Press the rockwool a little bit to avoid pockets of air.
-cut an extra piece of white light insulator and put it at the base of the plants. Roots will love the absence of light. I systematically do that since I had some issues that made on grow very wrong with light reaching the root;
-Turn on light at 20cm distance

Usually I get 0.8g/W. a bit under 0.5 when it goes very wrong like spider. hope this one is a niner!

Hello! 25 days from seed, 15 days in 12/12

Update as things were done. The EC dropped under 1.00. I didn't check the PH as I prepared a new soup for the ladies. EC set to 1.27. PH to 5.7~. I will continue to use MR1 only untill the stretch slows.

The morning glory took 5cm since yesterday. I like this plant more than the others. She's not too bushy, not too much leaves.
NYCDs are growing taller as well.
The LSD continues to show signs of over nute. Leaves too big. Unfortunately there's nothign I can do about it as the other plants love the settings.

I noticed the left tank seems to grow slower. I checked the light and realised the left tank was a bit farther from light. The reflector was not centered properly and was re-adjusted. I also uplifted it a bit to compensate the recent growth and maintain distance of 50-60cm

The stretch should not go for much more days. I expect one more week at most. By this time ladies should have reach my sweet spot: 60-70cm. Sweet spot because a 600W HID won't penetrate further anyway. Creating suckers that need to get rid off, inducing stress.

Blue Cheese 3 is now showing sex :) Here's the overall views

Screenshot_1268.png

DSC_0012130.JPG

The number of branches are satisfying. The NYCD2 has more branches than her sister. The LSD will be a 3 budder. Very thick indica. I might have mold issues later with her. The blue cheese looks really nice. I think I'm going to love this plant!

Now to the portraits

Left Tank

Blue Cheese 1
BC110.JPG

Blue Cheese 2
BC215.JPG

Blue Cheese 3
BC311.JPG

Violator Kush
VK63.JPG

Right Tank​

LSD
LSD26.JPG

NYCD 1
NYCD111.JPG

NYCD 2
NYCD211.JPG

Morning Glory
MG5.JPG

I'm longing for these ladies to start budding and hope I won't fuck anything up or have any kind of issue LOL.

I've read strain reviews on the blue cheese. This plant buds looks awesome with big calices. I found this picture online of a Barney's Farm Blue Cheese at day 70, credits goes to madgiz on uk420:
madgiz_BF_blue_cheese.jpg

Let's resin dream about that!

Hi fellas! :welcome: 27 days from seed, 17 of 12/12

Dem plantlings look happy. Didn't check the plants yesterday. The PH when a bit high in the right tank (6.35) so I re adjusted the PH to 5,7 5,8.

I was suprised when I opened the tent. The plants have grown quite a bit since I checked. They are now 45cm tall. Go ladies, go :cheer: 4 more days at 5 cm then STOP, please

DSC_002593.JPG

The BC#2 is not getting enough light! Or is it a slightly different pheno? In any case, she's not as tall as the others.

DSC_002496.JPG

A close up on the NYCD#1:
DSC_002696.JPG

I love seeing the growth rate in nft
Do you ever grow from cutting

I did that several times. I noticed a huge difference in the growth rate between clones and seeds. Clones tend to not stretch very much unless vegged for several weeks.

05-10.gif

Hi :) 30 days from seed, 20 days of 12/12.

Little update to note that all ladies are showing their pistils! We're officially set for the flowering stage.
The morning glory is now 60cm tall. The others average at 50. Shouldn't stretch much more. 10cm max.

Ph is quite stable although is downed a bit to reach the lower limit in the left tank (5;5), at 5.8 in the right tank.
I notice that the NYCD#2 looks hungry. She's got the new leaves quite paler than the other plants. She received an extra foliar dose or half MR1 and half MR2. The next tank soup will contain half MR1 and half MR2 as metrop plans advise.

Ph is quite stable although is downed a bit to reach the lower limit in the left tank (5;5), at 5.8 steady in the right tank.
I couldn't check the EC for several days now as i forgot to turn my device off. Hence no more batteries :(

Writting this post I realize I should add some mix to the tanks just to be sure the plants are not under fed and have another set of nutrients at disposal. Under feed is quite unwise in hydroponics. It's not forgiving. Luckily, I carefully noted the dosages I use at every mix so that I'll be able to prepare a EC 1.3 soup although I don't have a working EC-meter.

Now some fresh pictures:
DSC_0014121.JPG

DSC_0011134.JPG

Notice the NYCD#1 and 2 are budding :cheer:. It's really about time the others showed sex so I can switch to P=K for about a week before switching to full MR2 (pk 40/20).

OK. I made the refill. The hole thing took about 20 min. 20 min becaus eI could not resist the envy to take several close up for you to see:

Blue Cheese 1
BC111.JPG

Blue Cheese 2
BC216.JPG

Blue Cheese 3
BC312.JPG

Violator Kush
VK64.JPG

LSD (the secondary branch is taller than the apex! Yum)
LDS.JPG

NYCD auto 1
NYCD112.JPG

NYCD auto 2
NYCD212.JPG

Morning glory
MG6.JPG

Cheers !

Back
Top Bottom