TerpKing - First Grow - Dr Krippling Incredible Bulk - Hydro - 600W MH/HPS

Strain - Dr krippling incredible bulk
# of Plants - 12
Grow Type - Hydro
Grow Stage - transplanted 5 days ago, so early veg stage.
Setup - Ebb & flood
Light - 600 Watt MH dimmed to 250 then today upped to 400w.
Nutrients - H&G aquaflakes 0.7 EC, H&G root excellarator, plant magic magne cal 0.3 EC.
Medium - rapid rooters straight into net pots with clay balls
EC - 1.0
PH - 5.5/5.8
RH - 50% to 60%
Room Temperature - 23c to 26.5c
Solution Temperature - 20c to 22c
Room Square Footage - 120cm/60cm/160cm
Pests - None Known

Problem: Light green patches in between veins on a couple of leaves. Problem seems to be more on one plant and a small amount on another next to it. I'm thinking it could be a heat hot spot but the tops of the plant seem fine. I was using a t5 to start off seedlings, after transplanting I swapped to a 600w MH dimmed down to 250w for 5 days and today I increased it to 400w. I started with the 250 at 11 inches and had it down to 7.5 inches at closest with everything fine. I decided to moved the light up to 11 inches to start with at 400w and after 6 hours everything seemed fine didn't feel hot on the back of my hand so I moved it down to 9.5 inches at closest which it also felt ok on the back of my hand. The ambient temperature at max has been 26.5c and minimum 23c. Lights are on 24/7 atmo, was planning on switching to 18/6 once their 4th set of leaves is fully out. Not all plants seem to be effected so am a little confused if it is the light. This is pretty recent as the plant wasn't like this earlier, any help would be greatly appreciated as this is a first time grow, everything has been smooth sailing till now. I've also moved the light back up to 11 inches above the canopy again for now.

Many thanks
TerpKing!

420-magazine-mobile906812905.jpg
420-magazine-mobile2037521208.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1365325005.jpg
420-magazine-mobile212829310.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1161504946.jpg
420-magazine-mobile666378277.jpg

re: Light green patches inbetween veins

Hi Fanleaf, thanks for the reply. I am using R/O water with 0.3 EC Plant Magic Magne/Cal already added before adding base nutrients to the mix.

Then that makes me wonder about the accuracy of your pH pen. If the pH is right then calmag should fix. If pH pen is wrong then calmag won't fix the problem but what I see there is a Mag issue. Maybe some others can weigh in.

Seems strange. I haven't had any problems so far with my PH pen and I only recalibrated it on Monday. That's the only problem I have with that.To me it's not a light green yellowing tho like a magnesium deficency, it looks more burnt. Would it not be effecting all plants, not just one and a little on another next to it? I'm going to take another photo in some better light.

420-magazine-mobile1556507111.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1692307217.jpg
420-magazine-mobile2022152936.jpg

Weird can't say I've seen same symptom and I had enough over the yrs lol Could you of spilled something onto that leaf
To be fair mate I wouldn't worry about it they All looking healthy if it starts happening on others then ya got to fix the problem
ya could just do a soup change with fresh nutes to be safe

does look like magnesium issue. On your calmag bottle what is the recommended dose? Usually 0.3ec is perfect. Dont change anything just yet. Allow the plants to settle under the stronger light and see if it spreads. Anything can be fixed in veg so dont stress. let them root and monitor it over the next few days to a week. Feed can be adjusted if necessary but just let plants adjust to being in net pots and more light first.

Hey guys, thanks for coming to the rescue! Yeah I'm pretty sure I haven't spilt anything on them, but it could always be a possibility. I haven't started panicking just yet, thanks. My bottle says dilute 1-2ml per Litre. I had a 30 Litre reservoir and added 5ml at a time till it got to 0.3, in total it was 15ml. No problem I'll give it a few days and really keep an eye on them. Do you think my light is ok at 11 inches above them, or is that a bit far and they could stretch? It definitely only came on today tho, pretty quickly as well, was not like it this in the morning.

One thing I have noticed actually, twice now since filling my reservoir on monday I've had to add 2l of R/O water to bring the EC back down to 1.0 as it had risen to 1.1, It would happen after about 4 or 5 floods of the system. Not sure if that could have anything to do with it?

Listen to cult mate he will steer ya in the right direction
As for height of your light I have found that in veg there's no benefit to keep the light to close I've seen no difference in growth or node spacing but I use 600watt from any age but if they are newly rooted cuttings I usually start with the light pretty high and after a week bring it down to where I want just to acclimatise them

I know he will, cultivator is a legend for all the time he puts into help others, absolute top guy! Ahh ok, I thought light was always supposed to be as close as possible. I do have a 600w like you but it was dimmed down to 250w to start with after I transplanted on Monday, today I upped it to 400w. Thanks for saying they was looking healthy btw, I thought things were going fantastic till I found that slight problem earlier. Hopefully things won't spread or get worse, I'll be keeping a watchful eye. Lucky any problems can always be solved.

Cheers Scoobynew! :)

Yeah, the stripes along with the leaf pulling off to one side just reinforces Magnesium issue. Mag will start at the bottom and go up from there because it's mobile. If you just made some adjustments I would wait and see if it progresses. It may just stop in it's tracks now.
An excess of potassium and calcium can also cause a Magnesium lockout

Yeah I see what you mean about the leaf pulling off to one side, I've seen the stripes between veins before but not quite as bad as that, that's why I thought it was something else. I haven't made any adjustments since I filled the reservoir on monday, I have how ever added 2l R/O water twice to bring the EC back down from 1.1 to 1.0 so I don't think they've been taking too many nutrients. I've been letting the PH drift from 5.5 up to 5.8 then readjusting it back down. What I added to my 30l reservoir on Mondays: Aquaflakes - a - 42ml, Aquaflakes - b - 42ml(0.7EC), Root excellarator - 9ml, Magne-Cal - 15ml(0.3EC), Liquid silicone to bring ph up - 3.5 ml. Which left me with a Ph - 5.5, Ec - 1.0. Now you've said about the potassium, I did add the liquid silicone which says its potassium silicate at 6%, not sure if that should effect it tho as it is supposed to be used to bring the PH up. Thanks for the advice Fanleaf!

Re: Light green patches inbetween veins

dont worry about readjusting ec, not for 0.1/0.2 fluctuation anyway. Problem is you have a small res which makes it more difficult to keep stable although not impossible.

Bump the ec up to 0.4ec with the calmag. you added more light output so the plant uses more nutes. but keep ec total around 1.0-1.2ec. what is you ph after adding nutes? Ive never had to uses silica to raise ph up ever.

Ahh ok, I thought as they were still young and didn't seem to be taking too many nutrients I was a tad worried about over fertilising. Yeah this is a pretty small res, I do have a bigger one but I thought as they were small I'd wait till they out grew this size tent before setting up the bigger one.

I'll go for a fresh res change and bump up calmag to 0.4 and then make up the rest to 1.0 - 1.2 EC. Once I've done the res change I'll tell you what my PH goes too before adding the silica to bring it up, I'm pretty sure it was about 4.0 something PH after adding everything to the mix with out the silica.

I'm just sorting out the res now so will get back to you with an exact number shortly and what I've added, should be roughly same as before, bar the bump in calmag.

Back
Top Bottom