TheBorn's High Brix Soil - Obiwan OG Grow Journal - 2016

Theborn420

• What strain is it?
    Obiwan OG
  • Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages?
    Indica Hybrid
  • Is it in Veg or Flower stage?
    Germination
  • Indoor or outdoor?
    Indoor
  • Soil or Hydro?
    Soil
  • If soil... what is in your mix?
    Doc Bud's High Brix Blend
  • If soil... What size pot?
    2 x 1 Gallon pots
  • Size of light?
    Perfect Sun 500 @ 214w
  • Is it aircooled?
    No
  • Temp of Room/cab?
    Lights on 79f, off 67f
  • RH of Room/cab?
  • Any Pests ?
    No
  • How often are you watering?
    When medium is dry.
  • Type and strength of ferts used?

This is my second attempt at using Doc Bud's High Brix blend. I had some problems early on due to much confusion on my part with the directions. However, I am back with some new beans and a desire to grow some great bud. I am a noob grower with only one successful grow under my belt in some coco a while ago. I wanted to try soil for so long but was afraid of pests in the house as I experienced root aphids in the coco.

After browsing the 420 mag forums (which are great and the only ones I'm somewhat active in) I stumbled upon Doc Bud and others who, when employing his kit of prepared soil amendments, drenches and foliar sprays, have been growing some amazing ganja.

In a nutshell, I want in. I have friends who grow and love what they are able to produce using coco and nutes and I would love to have some bud that would make them switch.

Looking forward to all the help I can get from you folks out there who have used the kit with great success. I've seen many of your journals and love the community here. I suck at forums but I keep coming back.

I should be germinating these tonight in a paper towel. Join me on my journey.

Obi Wan OG is (Ghost OG X Alien Rift), Alien Rift is (Alien Dawg (Ether) x Alien OG)

Are you going to need the OG drench and Wayahead?

I have several strains by the same breeder and am wondering since most of their genetics contain some sort of OG or chemdog.

Obi Wan OG is (Ghost OG X Alien Rift), Alien Rift is (Alien Dawg (Ether) x Alien OG)

I have several strains by the same breeder and am wondering since most of their genetics contain some sort of OG or chemdog.

Hey Born...first page....:blunt:....Yes Born, should grab some Way ax10 and some OG Drench from Doc. These strains will benefit from it! Anyhow Born, after you get moving along you will have a lot of guidance. Lets see that things go as they should with NO bumps along the way OK!....Cheers bud!:high-five:

muwahahahahahaha :)
That's how I feel, on the inside...
perfect sun 500:cheesygrinsmiley:
It's an incredible light. It was an upgrade from a DIY CFL fixture I made. I'm sure anything would have blown my socks off nevertheless, the PS500 is impressive. I'm going to use the CFL fixture to do seedlings/clones eventually.
Hi Born! I'll follow along but will not be able to help much as I'm also new to the kit but look forward to seeing some awesome plants from you.

:passitleft:
Bruv, I learned a lot from your grow. I made a lot of the same mistakes but was unable to recover. Welcome good sir.

See below

Hey Born...first page....:blunt:....Yes Born, should grab some Way ax10 and some OG Drench from Doc. These strains will benefit from it! Anyhow Born, after you get moving along you will have a lot of guidance. Lets see that things go as they should with NO bumps along the way OK!....Cheers bud!:high-five:

I knew this was a good idea, this journal. Doc is traveling isn't he? How soon will I need both the Wayahead and OG Drench? Thanks again, I feel a layer of anxiety lifting off of me having you guys' input.

Bangarang!

Doc said something about being away for the next couple of days. I would shoot him an email anyway, he might check those while he is in Nevada.

EDIT: I sub'd to this post and will be watching to see how things go. Like I said, I also have 5 different strains from the same breeder. I am sure those with experience will guide you through what you need to know.

It's an incredible light. It was an upgrade from a DIY CFL fixture I made. I'm sure anything would have blown my socks off nevertheless, the PS500 is impressive. I'm going to use the CFL fixture to do seedlings/clones eventually.

Bruv, I learned a lot from your grow. I made a lot of the same mistakes but was unable to recover. Welcome good sir.

See below

I knew this was a good idea, this journal. Doc is traveling isn't he? How soon will I need both the Wayahead and OG Drench? Thanks again, I feel a layer of anxiety lifting off of me having you guys' input.

Bangarang!

not until youre flowering...:thumb:

See below

Bangarang!

Ya mon,..no worries Born, Doc will be back soon. You have LOTS of time before that stuff is needed. The most important thing right now is to "dial in" your enviro. and follow "kit" directions...DO NOT deviate just yet OK....wait till you have a few "kit" grows under your belt. That way you will get to see them perform with all the original instructions. it's a good idea to "bookmark" Doc's "kit" instructions and description of ingredients. A good , fast reference if your just wondering about something OK. It's the easiest system i've come across in about 30 yrs. of messin with our fav. plant. A few pointers...keep plants off any concrete floors , get your enviro proper and stable, remember to include canopy air circulation as well as general air movement with oscillating fan/s, run your exhaust fan/ filter combo at between 70-85%, no more ,(quieter, prolongs filter life and fan motor). Ok , this next tip , is important, and you will get other opinions along the way , which is fine but , ..but , confusing , very confusing. I see it all over our place here. Follow these simple directions OK...a short form of Doc's. originals from 4 years ago. Starting off with very young , small plants ...OK...start with plain water for two times, then give a Drench of Transplant W/Tea, then two more drinks of just plain water again (you will be tempted to give more...DON'T), then you give a Drench of G.E. W/Tea, then two more drinks of water, then another Drench of Transplant W/Tea, then two more drinks of just plain water, then ,...you guessed it , another Drench with G.E. and Tea. Remember to give the sprays at full strength , only after you feel they are getting bigger with a nice amount of foliage , and only every 7 - 10 days, so basically you can spray each one , DeStress and or Brix (with WayAhead X 10 later approaching Bloom) once a week. If you try spraying more often , or at a higher concentration , you will severely damage the roots.. and or burn the leaves...got it! It's a good idea to post your amounts of Kit ingredients for your method of delivery. Top watering is totally fine and it's all i do,....i've never dunked my pots ....really ...look at them, Hahaha. If you forget to score the roots at transplant time....don't fret, i've never done that either. Remember to dust with "roots" though, that's great stuff! Also at transplant time , after dusting the hole and root ball , plain water is all that's needed , this new version of "roots" has what Transplant has now, Doc and the Lab improved it , so just give a nice drink of water at that time OK!
Getting bored yet....OK , i better fly,...later Born...welcome my Brotha!:high-five:

:popcorn: Subbing in!

I'm starting my first grow with Doc's kit also. Seedlings 3 weeks old, plus several established clones that I'm upgrading mid-veg. Clones have only been in kit soil for a week but already most the problems I had when they were in plain soil are gone. And what I've learned already just by getting kit started is helping my other grows that were underperforming even though I upgraded soil to sunshine #4. Wishing I'd looked more closely at Doc's kit 6 months ago.

Doc said something about being away for the next couple of days. I would shoot him an email anyway, he might check those while he is in Nevada.

EDIT: I sub'd to this post and will be watching to see how things go. Like I said, I also have 5 different strains from the same breeder. I am sure those with experience will guide you through what you need to know.
I appreciate you have experience with the strains. Glad to have you along.
not until youre flowering...:thumb:
Facts...
Ya mon,..no worries Born, Doc will be back soon. You have LOTS of time before that stuff is needed. The most important thing right now is to "dial in" your enviro. and follow "kit" directions...DO NOT deviate just yet OK....wait till you have a few "kit" grows under your belt. That way you will get to see them perform with all the original instructions. it's a good idea to "bookmark" Doc's "kit" instructions and description of ingredients. A good , fast reference if your just wondering about something OK. It's the easiest system i've come across in about 30 yrs. of messin with our fav. plant. A few pointers...keep plants off any concrete floors , get your enviro proper and stable, remember to include canopy air circulation as well as general air movement with oscillating fan/s, run your exhaust fan/ filter combo at between 70-85%, no more ,(quieter, prolongs filter life and fan motor). Ok , this next tip , is important, and you will get other opinions along the way , which is fine but , ..but , confusing , very confusing. I see it all over our place here. Follow these simple directions OK...a short form of Doc's. originals from 4 years ago. Starting off with very young , small plants ...OK...start with plain water for two times, then give a Drench of Transplant W/Tea, then two more drinks of just plain water again (you will be tempted to give more...DON'T), then you give a Drench of G.E. W/Tea, then two more drinks of water, then another Drench of Transplant W/Tea, then two more drinks of just plain water, then ,...you guessed it , another Drench with G.E. and Tea. Remember to give the sprays at full strength , only after you feel they are getting bigger with a nice amount of foliage , and only every 7 - 10 days, so basically you can spray each one , DeStress and or Brix (with WayAhead X 10 later approaching Bloom) once a week. If you try spraying more often , or at a higher concentration , you will severely damage the roots.. and or burn the leaves...got it! It's a good idea to post your amounts of Kit ingredients for your method of delivery. Top watering is totally fine and it's all i do,....i've never dunked my pots ....really ...look at them, Hahaha. If you forget to score the roots at transplant time....don't fret, i've never done that either. Remember to dust with "roots" though, that's great stuff! Also at transplant time , after dusting the hole and root ball , plain water is all that's needed , this new version of "roots" has what Transplant has now, Doc and the Lab improved it , so just give a nice drink of water at that time OK!
Getting bored yet....OK , i better fly,...later Born...welcome my Brotha!:high-five:
I have a feeling I'm going to need to heat the tent as temps are going to start dropping hard, real soon. Thanks for these directions. One of my goals is to use this experience to make a version of the instructions that includes. All the great advice I've collected going through journals. I wouldn't feel confident doing it until I have several grows with the kit under my belt. Really wish I started a journal the first time...
:popcorn: Subbing in!

I'm starting my first grow with Doc's kit also. Seedlings 3 weeks old, plus several established clones that I'm upgrading mid-veg. Clones have only been in kit soil for a week but already most the problems I had when they were in plain soil are gone. And what I've learned already just by getting kit started is helping my other grows that were underperforming even though I upgraded soil to sunshine #4. Wishing I'd looked more closely at Doc's kit 6 months ago.
Nice, Rabbi! I hear you, hopefully this grow will be one of those that continue to inspire .
May I watch?
Bloooooodfya, ya best watch ya know. Looking forward to your special brand of insight Canna. Don't hold back. I'm gonna hold off on germination until I'm sure I can raise the temp in the tent safely. Washing of getting a temp controller, not sure if it's worth it for such a small tent. 4x2x5.7 (it's short)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using 420 Magazine Mobile App

No action yet but here are some of the changes I made in the tent. Beans are soaking then will throw em in a paper towel. Hopefully I'll have em in dirt this weekend.

Changed exhaust and intake locations

I'm now pulling air from the ceiling of the living area in the basement. The exhaust now goes into the room where the tent is. My rationale is there is a fair amount of traffic to and from the basement so fresh air isn't a problem. The living area is finished and heated so no longer sucking in air from the unheated room the tent is in. :thumb:

Using CFL fixture for seedlings

I decided to bring my CFL fixture out of storage to give the seedlings a little light but mostly heat. I have a humidity dome ready and put my rack back together to get the tray off the ground (insulated the floor as well). I'll use both the CFL fixture and the Perfect Sun 500 in flower, but will they fit... (pictures coming soon).

Ordered Temperature controller for exhaust fan

I should have done this a long time ago. Since winter is fast approaching I plan to use a temp controller to operate my exhaust fan and a small electrical heater. This is more for the fan as I have it running on the same timer as the lights. This should solve two issues for me. One, keep more heat in the tent, and two, make things run a bit quieter. The fan I have is really quiet but with the CFL fixture if the exhaust you can't hear anything. I'm sure this will save a tiny bit on electricity as well.

Next Up

Need to figure out how to get humidity up in the tent. I'm realizing some of the issues I had last time had to do with low humidity in veg as well as low temps.

Appreciate all feedback and suggestions on humidity.

Hey Born!

You could get a small humidifier (they're pretty inexpensive) but I had one in my tent and it got way too humid. Are you in a dry environment? It's pretty humid where I'm at so don't have an issue, maybe something as minor as having a dish of water in there...? I run my intake and exhaust 247 at about 70% with a speed controller. My temps are pretty good, it does get a little cold at lights off, mid-occasionally low 60's. I tried a small heater but the dang thing keeps tripping the breaker. My intake is at the bottom and exhaust at the top but I think the main reason most do this is when it gets too hot in the tent, heat rises so bring in fresh cool air at the bottom and exhaust the warm air at the top.

Hey Born!

You could get a small humidifier (they're pretty inexpensive) but I had one in my tent and it got way too humid. Are you in a dry environment? It's pretty humid where I'm at so don't have an issue, maybe something as minor as having a dish of water in there...? I run my intake and exhaust 247 at about 70% with a speed controller. My temps are pretty good, it does get a little cold at lights off, mid-occasionally low 60's. I tried a small heater but the dang thing keeps tripping the breaker. My intake is at the bottom and exhaust at the top but I think the main reason most do this is when it gets too hot in the tent, heat rises so bring in fresh cool air at the bottom and exhaust the warm air at the top.
I'm thinking the same and like you mentioned have read that in most cases they are over kill. I saw a pretty cool method which in invoked hanging a small towel in such a way as part of it is sitting in a bowl of water. The towel wicks up the water slowly giving the water more surface area. With a fan blowing on it, it might just work. If not I'll try the humidifier.
Subbed! You have a great bunch of people here already. :passitleft: :popcorn:
Hey Nis. Good to have you, I've been meaning to go through your journals. How's it been going with the kit?

The ones that started in 1s have been great. The ones started in solos...not so great. So start them off in 1 gals lol. Other than that, it's simple. :thumb:
I had a good start in 1 gals last time but was going to try solos. Interesting, did you double em up? I think I remember Doc or someone else saying the solos are thin and let light through. I'm gonna read through your journal.

Back
Top Bottom