TheFrizz Is Back! VC/DC, CBD Therapy & Northern Lights Medical Grow For Mom

TheFrizz

Hello friends and wonderful 420 community,

:circle-of-love:

I'm baaaack! Grab a snack and a ;) because this is a long first post (5 pages when copied and pasted into Microsoft word).

Let's start by going back in time 2 months...

December: My last post was in mid December before we left to visit New Mexico for a week. When we came back, the Girl Scout Cookie autos were dead. A power surge had apparently knocked out the air pump and it didn't kick back on properly, cause the buckets were just full of root slime when we got home and the tent smelled like death :rip: It was very sad to open the tent expecting to see a weeks worth of lush growth and come back to this:
Rebloom_1027.jpg

It didn't help that I was already struggling with severe depression related to multiple factors. I lost my motivation to post on here, and to be honest, my motivation to do much of anything at all.

January: Most of this month I spent alone, at home (I am on medical leave), playing a game called Ark Survival. I believe the reason I was drawn to it is because it was so immersive, it took me out of my head and brought it down to the basics: food, water, shelter, fight and flight. Somehow, fighting for one's life against dinosaurs and other humans can be less terrifying than facing one's inner demons. :helpsmilie:

As those of you who followed my previous grows can probably tell, I am obsessed with planning things and having a specific "end goal/vision" in mind. However when everything you do is according to "the plan", you lose the joy that comes from new experiences and spontaneity because you have little incentive to try anything new. Well, Ark helped cure me of that, and I went from taking three hours of elaborate planning to get ready to tame a dino, to simply saying YOLO and shooting em in the face with tranq darts when I saw one I wanted :laughtwo:

Now I am applying this mentality to other areas of my life as well and I am much more accepting of change and I don't feel the need to have a "plan" for everything anymore, I can just live and enjoy each day for the moments as they happen. :love:

February: I was planning on returning to work early this month, but after speaking with my psychologist, my family, boyfriend, and others at my work, I realized that I need some time to find myself and discover what I really want to do for the rest of my life. I am on leave for the remainder of the school year and plan on taking classes related to my passions (Life Sciences/Chemistry) at a local community college this Spring quarter to help me explore options for my future. :cheer:

Ok so now that we are all caught up on that stuff....let's talk growing!!!

Purpose: This grow is for my mom, she has been experiencing serious health problems for close to 10 years now. Doctors had her on all kinds of awful prescriptions that did not even address the root of her condition (and they still don't know what's wrong with her). Fortunately, a combination of CBD oil in the morning/afternoon, and a nice Indica cookie in the evening to help her sleep alleviates the majority of her symptoms. She does have her medical card and can have up to 8 plants but does not want to due to the smell. So I am growing these for her instead :love: Maybe if this grow goes well she will let me build a setup at their place too! Mwahaha

Strains:

VC/DC- VCDC is a hybrid, bred by Moxie Seeds and Extracts, that crosses Viper City OG with ACDC. With its compelling mix of genetics, VCDC is recognized for its high-CBD content, taking 1st for CBD flower at the 2015 SoCal Medical Cup. (Leafly) I picked the strain because it is a gorgeous, amazing smelling high CBD strain that is supposed to have a 2-1 CBD-THC ratio on average.
Northern Lights- Northern Lights stands among the most famous strains of all time, a pure indica cherished for its resinous buds, fast flowering, and resilience during growth. (Leafly) I selected this strain for my mom's nighttime cookies because it is a pure indica and she doesn't like the "racy" effects of sativas. Plus it is just a great classic strain, so why not :)
CBD Therapy- This strain is by CBD crew and has been bred to maximize CBD content (as one might infer from the name :p). The CBD-THC ratio is between 2-1 and 20-1. I just had to try this one, because my mom is really sensitive to the side effects of THC and it would be really cool to get a plant with the 20-1 pheno to use for my own breeding purposes (crossing it with VC/DC perhaps).

Grow Method: RDWC with chiller (4 plants), and 1 plant in organic soil (I know right, TheFrizz is using soil?!?! Weird! We'll get to this later)

Nutes and additives:* Jack's Hydroponic 2 part system, Great White (friendly bacteria), and Tera Vita P-90 humic acid. **

*I am using only powder based additives from now on because they are many many times more cost effective. I do not want my dollar to go towards supporting companies that sell 50 different overpriced diluted "bloom boosters" and other crap when instead you can use a teeny tiny amount of powder and mix it to the ratio and concentration that your plants need.

** Humic acid is derived from organic matter that has decomposed and partially lithified over thousands of years. It can be purchased as a fine black powder, is water soluble, and contains silica as well so I don't have to use Pro-Tekt. Basically I am trying to achieve the benefits of growing in organic soil and DWC at the same time. It should not contribute to root rot (hopefully) :cheesygrinsmiley:, because the organic matter has already been broken down.

Other pertinent information:
Lighting- 1000 Watt MH/HPS
Ventilation- Air cooled w/ carbon filter
Reservoir temp- 68 degrees F

NOTE: This grow journal will be in the form of creative writing from the perspective of the plants, broken into chapters by growth phase. I started these seeds in early February but did not take pics for a couple weeks. Pics will start in a few chapters after I get caught up with the writing. This post will include Chapter 1, my next post will be Chapter 2, and so on. Hope you enjoy! :thanks:

Chapter 1.) Germination of the VC/DC sisters

Once upon a time, there were three VC/DC sister-seeds named Athena, Monique, and Jenny. They had been placed into a small plastic tube immediately after birth. The girls had a good life, no stress or worries, just hibernating in their cozy house inside the bottom drawer of the fridge. Alas, it is with plants as it is with humans - eventually all good things must come to an end. One day a great disaster befell the three sister-seeds; their house began shaking and then all of a sudden was hurtling through the air at great speed!

"Oh my godddd we are soooo gonna die!!" Monique shrieked, looking at her sisters in terror. "Are we like, in a tornado or something??!!"

"Uhm, no, tornadoes don't happen in refrigerator's, dumdum, we are probably being taken to be planted." said Athena with a smirk. "Don't worry, being Chosen is a great honor."

Jenny nodded in agreement, "Yeah, I heard that as long as we make it through germination we get pampered and fed and groomed for the rest of our life, it's a pretty great deal. You really have to WANT it though, I have heard it takes a lot of willpower to make it through."

Their conversation was brought to a halt as the door to their house was torn open. The girls fell a short distance out of the tube and landed on a strange surface. The surface was extremely warm to their touch, and it lacked the rigidity and smoothness of their house walls.

Before the girls had time to process what had just happened, an enormous monstrosity came into view above them! It was a five armed beast of some kind, and the diameter of each single arm was at least 8-10 seeds wide! The girls looked around for somewhere to hide, but realized that the strange surface they had landed on was in fact another five armed monster, and they were sitting on its flat midsection! Trapped between the two monsters, the girls had no where to run.

The monster in the air approached the girls and reached down towards Athena with two of its massive arms. She screamed, "Help meeee!!!!" and looked back at her sisters with terror as the monster picked her up and carried her out of sight.

"Wait a second..." Jenny said to Monique, "I think Athena just got Chosen".

"Ummmm screw that, I'm out!" Monique started to roll towards the side of the monster, it looked like she was trying to jump off the edge of the monster's belly and make her way back to their old house.

"Stop! You're our sister, where will you go? What will you do?" Jenny looked at Monique in desperation. "I know you are afraid but you need to face your fears head-on, because fear is the path to the rot side."

"Wait, what? What does fear have to do with the rot side?," Monique snapped.

"Well let me tell you a story: There once was a young seedling who was full of fear, just like you, and she tried to hide after she was Chosen. She burrowed down deep into her Rapid Rooter so no one could see her, and she kept herself completely tucked under the surface and never came out. She was worried that she wouldn't live up to her sisters and her parents expectations, so she figured she would just stay out of sight"

"Ok, soooo, what's the point to your story, why is that a problem? We stayed hidden in our house for months and that was just fine so why is it bad to stay under the surface after getting Chosen?" Monique interrupted.

"Well I was getting to that part. Anyways, she stayed under the surface for close to a week and was still buried even when all of her sisters had started growing their first set of true leaves. Then something terrible happened, the forces of darkness, moisture, and the lack of light began to corrupt her, and within a matter of days she had succumbed to the rot side. There was nothing her sisters could do, other than feel her life energy fade away." Jenny gazed at Monique sorrowfully as she finished the story. "I just don't want to see that to happen to you, sis."

"Whatever, she probably just had bad hygiene or something, it won't be a problem for me. Also, what's a Rapid Rooter?" Monique quipped.

"A rapid Rooter is what we germinate in, did you pay ANY attention at all in seed school?" By this point Jenny was starting to become visibly annoyed with her sister.

All of a sudden the monster's belly began to move, and simultaneously the second monster returned from the sky. The monster in the sky grabbed Jenny, and the monster whose belly they were sitting on grabbed Monique.

"Are we being Chosen??!?!" screamed Monique from the clutches of the beast's arms.

"Yep, it's finally happening!" Jenny looked absolutely radiant.

Before they knew it, each monster dropped them into the hole of a separate Rapid Rooter, and placed a small amount of material on top to protect them from the light.

"It's about time, slowpokes."

"Athena?!" cried Jenny.

"Yep, I already started soaking my seed coat, I am gonna be the best plant ever, even better than Queen Sativa" stated Athena smugly.

"What makes you think that?" asked Jenny.

"Well, I was Chosen first, so that means I am superior to you guys."

Jenny laughed, "Uh huh, suuure" and turned to her other sister, "Hey Monique, how are you holding up over there?"

"I'm really scared, this is all so different and terrible and the light is scaring me and my coat is starting to tingle and ughhhhh I just can't do it I just can't!!!!!" sobbed Monique.

"Well, you know we are here for you and will love you unconditionally as our sister always." Jenny struggled to keep it together, as she began to realize her worst fears for her sister.

1 week later

After 1 week, Jenny was the only one of the three seeds that had emerged. Her cotyledons were healthy and symmetrical, and her first set of true leaves were beginning to form. She was beginning to get extremely concerned for her sisters. She could still sense their life energy, but she knew that the longer a seed stays buried past the optimal window, the lower the odds are that it will actually ever end up germinating.

"Can you hear me? Hey, Monique, Athena, are you okay? Please don't give up...I can't live with both of you gone. I need you." Jenny began to plead desperately. "It's okay to be imperfect, if they wanted us to all be the same then they would just use clones. You know, I even heard that the plants that survive through the toughest times can even end up producing the finest flowers, much better than plants that have an easy life."

After Jenny spoke, she began to feel a shifting in the life energy of her sisters. She could feel the force being drawn out of one of her sisters and into the other. She was powerless to stop it, all she could do was feel the pain of one sister's life force being sucked away, and the sensation of triumph, glee, and power emanating from the other. Soon enough, it was over.

Jenny bowed her stem in sorrow, and said, "Well, to be honest Athena, I thought it might turn out this way. I really didn't want it to, but I understand you did what you had to do, only one of you could live and you were always the strong one. I am going to miss Monique so much."

"Hey Jenny? Athena is gone, this is Monique."

"WHAT?!?!?! Monique, is it really you?!??!" Jenny started transpiring uncontrollably. "How did you do it, how did you overcome your fears? And what happened to Athena? She always seemed so ready for germination, I can't believe she didn't make it. She was even Chosen first too."

"Well to be honest Jenny, I think Athena was always jealous of you, you did so well in seed school and you have always been so good to me as a sister. Athena felt like she had to be perfect, and that if she wasn't the best then she was a disappointment. Her taproot started to grow upside down, and even though that's not a huge deal, it really threw her off and I think she just gave up because it wasn't part of her "plan"."

"Wow, that actually makes a lot of sense. But that doesn't explain how you overcame your fears."

"Because I realized that I had spent my whole life comparing myself to the two of you, but now I know that just because I didn't get the best grades in seed school or have the largest diameter, I still have something to offer. And who knows, maybe my flowers WILL end up being the best, like you said. But until then I am going to take it day by day and grow as much as I can, not to have a record setting yield or the frostiest trichomes, but to be the best plant that I can be."

End of Chapter 1

Thank you for taking the time to read this, I enjoyed writing it so I hope you had equal fun reading it! Disclaimer: Plants do not use "life energy" to germinate, but I have been on a Star Wars kick lately so metaphysical themes are on my mind :)

I will start writing Chapter 2 soon, which will introduce new characters (the two Northern Lights and a CBD therapy plant growing in a sock, yes, a sock). Pics are in the gallery if you can't wait for later chapters. :laughtwo:

As always, questions, comments, and feedback are appreciated :thanks::Namaste:
~TheFrizz

Hello folks! :welcome:

So first off, quick heads-up, I am still going to be writing the story of the girls but I will keep it on a Word Doc instead of cluttering up the forum here. Then anyone who wants to read the full version at the end of the grow can do so, rather than everyone having to scroll through massive walls of text. :thumb: Cause lets be honest, most people are here for pictures and knowledge, not my half-baked semi-fictional ramblings :laughtwo: Hmm, what's that, yes I heard that collective sigh of relief! :high-five:

Here is the CBD Therapy plant. Her name is Yaddle. I didn't have any small pots so I pirated one of my boyfriend's old socks to make a mini-SmartPot.

Rebloom_1091.jpg

Rebloom_1101.jpg

Transplanting Yaddle into an actual SmartPot. :cheer:

Rebloom_1121.jpg

Rebloom_2_010.jpg

Ok, next we have Monique and Jenny (The two surviving VC/DC sisters from Chapter 1)

Monique is the smaller of the two on the left. She has a well-formed internal structure. Then we have Jenny on the right, I swear something about that corner is magical....that is where Queen Sativa was my first grow. She is not as symmetrical but she is definitely going to be a big yielder.

Here are pics of Monique
Rebloom_1093.jpg

Rebloom_1098.jpg
Rebloom_2_009.jpg

I am using a training method that I am gonna call "NSA" for "No Strings Attached". All I am using are my hands to sculpt them into the final shape I want by nipping off unwanted material and then supercropping to bend the branches into the desired shape. No tying or nets or supports or anything :cheesygrinsmiley: Here is her today after our "session"

Rebloom_2_016.jpg

Rebloom_2_017.jpg

Annnd here is the wonderful Jenny

Rebloom_1097.jpg

Rebloom_2_002.jpg

Rebloom_2_015.jpg

Rebloom_2_019.jpg

And here are Monique and Jenny side by side after their haircut today:
Rebloom_2_020.jpg

Next we have the two Northern Light ladies in the back. The back left one is named Sidney. She will be my boyfriend's plant to practice training techniques on. :rip: Hopefully she survives, but if not, I have a bajillion more seeds in the fridge! :laughtwo:

Rebloom_2_007.jpg

Last but not least, the back right plant is named Muffinz. I did some work on her today, taking her from 2 primary growth tips to 8 growth tips. :cheer:

Rebloom_2_011.jpg

Rebloom_2_012.jpg

Rebloom_2_013.jpg

Annnnd, the whole tent. I have a tomato plant in there as well that I am using as a control for an experiment I am conducting regarding brix levels in produce. The flowers were from my birthday yesterday, I dipped them in rooting hormone and added nutes to the jar. We'll see if they grow roots!
Rebloom_2_006.jpg

So yeah, this is totally different than my first grow where each cola had a specific square to fit into and it was all micromanaged. I am done with boxes, life is a lot more fun when you live spontaneously. :thanks::Namaste:

As always, questions, comments, and feedback are encouraged!
~TheFrizz

Re: TheFrizz Is Back! VC/DC, CBD Therapy & Northern Lights Medical Grow For Mom

Subbed.
This is amazing and you DEFINITELY know what are you doing. Your girls are green and beautiful.

I'm sorry, I didn't have the time ATM to read the introduction fully, but did you mentioned there the NSA technique?
You supercropped the girls and took almost all their leafs. Left only the the tops with leafs.
Is that pruning or defoliation? (I know Defo is done before flowering)
They grew back beautifully.

Although I grow in soil, I'm very interested to learn your skills. Also I'm only finishing now my first grow. Blue dream with mesmerizing purple phenotype.

Looking forward for your updates, Frizz.
Peace man and all the best!

GreenProto's Blue Dream First Grow Journal - 2016

Subbed.
This is amazing and you DEFINITELY know what are you doing. Your girls are green and beautiful.

I'm sorry, I didn't have the time ATM to read the introduction fully, but did you mentioned there the NSA technique?
You supercropped the girls and took almost all their leafs. Left only the the tops with leafs.
Is that pruning or defoliation? (I know Defo is done before flowering)
They grew back beautifully.

Although I grow in soil, I'm very interested to learn your skills. Also I'm only finishing now my first grow. Blue dream with mesmerizing purple phenotype.

Looking forward for your updates, Frizz.
Peace man and all the best!

Thank you GreenProto and welcome aboard! Blue dream is where it's at, I shall venture over to your journal as well!:thumb:

The technique I am using is based off of a tutorial by Nebula Haze called Manifolding. I can't post external links but you can Google it. I like to recommend her tutorials to help promote the competency of other women like myself in the cannabis industry and to set a positive example for others. :love:

The difference is that I am performing her technique without tying anything or using strings at all. I am supercropping the branches into the desired position. Once a week I remove all of the lower growth so the stems thicken up and then plant directs more growth towards the external growth tips to create the structure I want.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I have been away from work for awhile so I am itching to answer students!! Haha :circle-of-love:

Ok holy cow....anyone who is reading my grow, please place everything on halt and click on GreenProto's journal. There is a very unexpected and amazing plot twist, just a truly gorgeous grow!!!

(Most importantly, there is a photogenic cat.) :cheer:

I got that you're using Rapid Rooters (fun narrative!) - would you please detail your exact germ process for those of us following along?

Hey Frizz what a pleasure to watch you grow! :bravo: Thanks for sharing! I invite you to my journal, I got some training going on as well. Not so strict as yours, but I feel it's gonna be good. Cheers! :love: :Namaste:

I got that you're using Rapid Rooters (fun narrative!) - would you please detail your exact germ process for those of us following along?

Welcome aboard Latitude! :welcome:For this current grow I did not document my germ process but I followed the exact same steps that I did in my previous two grows. If you check out my 2nd journal (the Girl Scout Cookies) the first page details and includes pictures of the steps I use for germination. Here is a quick overview:

Germination:
1. Plant seeds into Rapid Rooters about 1/2 inch deep. Fill the hole on top with a bit of the spongy material to "bury" the seed.
2. Place Rapid Rooters into plastic tupperware and lay plastic wrap on top (this is your mini greenhouse)
3. Move the mini greenhouse into the grow tent under your veg lights. I have never lost a seedling from "too much" light.
4. Add 1 oz of distilled water (or whatever water you prefer tbh it doesn't matter much) twice a day to the bottom of the container so the water is wicked up into the Rapid Rooters
5. Transplant when the seedlings have two "true leaves" and the taproot has emerged from the bottom. If it does not show a taproot, then transplant when roots are coming out all sides of the rooter.

Hope that helps a bit and thanks again for following my grow!

:Namaste:

Hey Frizz what a pleasure to watch you grow! :bravo: Thanks for sharing! I invite you to my journal, I got some training going on as well. Not so strict as yours, but I feel it's gonna be good. Cheers! :love: :Namaste:

Heya Tomula great to have you here and thanks for the positive feedback! :circle-of-love: I would love to check out your journal, you have such an artistic talent for growing this amazing plant :)

Also you know WAY more than me about growing in organic soil....so I will definitely be drawing on your knowledge to help me as Yaddle starts to grow up in her SmartPot :thanks:

I'm in love with this technique! I'm in the process of my very first grow from seed anything. And im also using dwc. When you prune, do you take it down to bare like that every time and let bounce back?

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I'm in love with this technique! I'm in the process of my very first grow from seed anything. And im also using dwc. When you prune, do you take it down to bare like that every time and let bounce back?

Why hello there DnD, welcome and thank you for the kind words! :thanks:

Yes, each time I prune (about once a week) I remove all growth except the last pair of fan leaves and growth tips on each branch. Then I repeat this process once the leaves are all overlapping again, usually after 2-3 more inches of height have been achieved.

Here is a mini-update, did a bit of bending today and removed a leaf or two :cheesygrinsmiley:

Whole tent before training today

Rebloom_3_009.jpg

Sidney is surviving her training so far, my boyfriend hasn't broken her yet :bravo:

Rebloom_3_010.jpg

Here is Muffinz next to her, I stripped her bottom growth so she will start directing energy to the outer growth tips and spread out more

Rebloom_3_011.jpg

A bit of bending for Monique, I am starting to train two colas towards the center to make use of that space

Rebloom_3_012.jpg

Same thing for Jenny here, bending most limbs outwards to spread out, and two into the middle area

Rebloom_3_013.jpg

Whole tent after training

Rebloom_3_014.jpg

Next update should include Yaddle the soil plant.....I have "plans" for her. Mwahahahaha :laughtwo:

As always, questions, comments, and feedback are appreciated! :thanks::Namaste:

~TheFrizz

Very nice! Your training logic and ability seem to be top notch! Muffinz training looks incredible. Stripping her lower leaf mass to direct resources to the canopy area... At the beginning of my grow, I thought doing so when she's that young, would hurt her. Since I thought that she will require all the photosynthesis she can get. Apparently not lol this is how you learn haha
Still have my chair here haha
Gonna watch for more updates!
All the best!

Why hello there DnD, welcome and thank you for the kind words! :thanks:

Yes, each time I prune (about once a week) I remove all growth except the last pair of fan leaves and growth tips on each branch. Then I repeat this process once the leaves are all overlapping again, usually after 2-3 more inches of height have been achieved.

You're very welcome!

Yeah I'm just realizing how much these little ladies can take. I have 4 from seed in pots that I haven't messed with yet. And a clone that I'm training and getting a feel for lst.

My other main reason for following you is your choice of nutes. I'm using AN. And from what I've heard it's ok. But I'd rather have a better understanding of nutes and creating a blend without all the BS and water

420-magazine-mobile298445255.jpg

Hey Frizz, really liked your narrative! Neat thinking about it from the seeds perspective haha. I don't have it, but a friend of mine has Arc so I totally get your reference there. I think planning is necessary to an extent, but you're right how sometimes it's good to jump into things and make it work. Also really like that you're doing this to help your moma. Plants are looking amazing. Vibrant and lush. Top notch work :bravo:

I've thought about it and once I can afford it, I'm going to get into dwc. You really convinced me with the no thrips line haha. Plus your girls look fabulous. Have a great day :)

Thank you GP, Toasted, DnD, and Dankest for your kind words and feedback! Being able to share my work and hopefully help others reach their goals is what keeps me going :circle-of-love:

To DnD: Thanks for the pic, your training on the clone is looking solid. You might enjoy reading Light Addict's grows regarding "fluxing" which is very similar to what you are doing. Personally I just got tired of dealing with strings after my first grow but the plus side is that you will break less branches if you use LST. I have had a couple colas break off so far from bending them too quickly.

So lets get right to it: This update has to do with.....NUTES! :cheer:

I have had several folks ask me to do a cost analysis of mixing my own powder nutes this grow VS. using "regular" liquid nutes so here we go (math is fun when it's about cannabis!):

Powder_vs_Liquid_Nutes_Cost_Analysis.png

So yeah, using powder nutes is approximately 5 times more cost effective than using liquid, although it does have a higher up front cost. Here are some images to help visualize the difference between the two types of nutes:

These are the bottles leftover from my first grow. Notice how much is gone! #ripoff #whypayforwater?!

Rebloom_4_002.jpg

Here is what powder based nutes look like. I added the amount in this pic (2 tbsp of each base nute and 1 tsp of Great White) ONCE to the buckets at the start of the grow. That's it. Yep. :surf: . I will tinker with the nutes before flowering but for now I am happy with their growth so I see no need to add more nutes or change the reservoir.

Rebloom_4_004.jpg

I also added the very first dose of humic acid today!! I will be super excited to see what happens :cheer: Here is 1 oz by weight of humic acid:

Rebloom_4_005.jpg

I mixed the 1 oz of humic acid with 4 gallons of water and then dumped the mix into the reservoir. Here is a "before" pic showing current ppm and temp in Jenny's bucket

Rebloom_4_003.jpg

And after, now it looks like she is swimming in coffee! Nomnomnom :drool: I will update the ppm, pH, and temp after the humic acid has had a few hours to circulate.

Rebloom_4_006.jpg

So yeah, hopefully that clears things up and will save folks some hard earned $$$. So far I have been very happy with the quality of Jack's and I have not even had to adjust the pH at all yet! :cheesygrinsmiley:

As always, questions, comments, and feedback are appreciated. :thanks::Namaste:

~TheFrizz

Back
Top Bottom