Redloh's Indoor Soil Cali OG Kush/Haze Grow Journal - First Grow - 2017

Applesauce

Crop king Seeds Fem Cali OG Kush/Haze

# of plants - 2

30/70 Sativa Dom

Currently seedling stage (7 days), put 2 in a cup of water 2/27 and both popped on 2/28, planted both same day sprouted in 3/3, looking strong so far.

Indoor soil grow FF OF/HF 50/50

FF nute trio

5 gal smart pots

2x 450w viparspectra LED's, 1 for each lady

48x24x60 grow tent with 4" carbon filter and inline fan

6" clip fan and 2 - 3" usb laptop fans for airflow

Watering with distilled water as my tap PH is 8.8 or so. Got some PH up and down, as well as a test kit, but buying a few gallons til I figure that all out.

Lights on 24hr - Veg only setting (blue light mostly) so far since the seedlings can be fragile, but considering using both veg and bloom once I go 18/6 when she gets some steady legs as a few others who've used these lights have had good results using both all the way through. My lights are currently 30" above the seedlings and will move to 24" for Veg.

Temp is steady around 75-77 and humidity is about 30-35%. I do have a small humidifier in there as I read you want 50-60% humidity for the first week or two as a seedling, but 35% is the best I've gotten. I live in the desert and humidity is super low as it is, but they have started strong in their current conditions so hopefully we'll be good.

I see now that I probably should've started them in a smaller home because I just put them straight in their final 5 gal pots. I'm keeping the soil nice and moist, but making sure not to over water. When it starts to dry on top and is a bit crumbly, usually about 30 hours, I put about 20 oz of water in each pot, focusing around the base of the seedling but still getting the whole surface of the soil saturated so the outside doesn't get too dry. Not watering til there's runoff at this point.

I also plan on scrogging, since I'm only doing the 2 to start. I should be able to fit 4 with the light and space I have but figured I'd start with two and maybe try 4 next time. I also ordered some Auto seeds so thought maybe Id try a couple of those in 3 gal pots while these babies Veg. Those seeds aren't here yet, but should be any day now, so just a thought.

I guess that's about it to start! Any advice is greatly appreciated as I am completely new. I've read a few journals and whatnot but figure I won't really get it til I try it so here we go.

20170306_102835.jpg

Here's a closeup of the little lady from today

20170311_164133.jpg

Showing a little folding of the first set of leaves.- Thinking it might be heat stress so added another 6" fan.- Temp got up to 86 reading right by the plant, but got it back down around 80 with 40-45% humidity.- Looks strong and healthy, no color loss or spotting, just a little bend toward the end of the leaves.- Probably nothing to worry about but this is my first go so im cautious of everything.

20170316_102334.jpg
Looking strong day 17 from seed. Switched to 18/6 from 24/0 yesterday and plan to veg for 4 or 5 weeks before I flip, or however long it takes to fill my screen which is set at 10" from the soil. I plan to top at the 6th or 7th node, depending on height and maybe top again. Considering trying LST, but not sure if it's necessary with my screens height.

Have been watering with just distilled water still, but am debating about alternating with tap water that's been ph'd to about 6.5 . My tomatoes are doing really well with that outside, and I've read there's really no minerals or anything in distilled water so thought the girls may like it too. Gonna try it and see what happens.

Anyway, that's my ramblings for the day. I'll update in a few days.

Day 22 from seed. Still looking strong, no apparent issues, well none that I can see anyway. Last watering was Sunday morning and I gave 40 oz each. Used a mix of 50/50 tap and distilled and didn't see any change positive or negative. I suppose the extra minerals in the tap can't hurt. Seems every 3 days is a good watering schedule for now and will increase volume as she grows.
20170321_140029.jpg

They're starting to show distinct characteristics, or phenotypes I think is the proper term. I shall call them Lefty and Righteous from hence forth.
20170321_140048.jpg

Lefty (above) is a bit taller with slightly larger gap between nodes, so I suspect she will be a bit lankier. She doesn't look as full as Righteous (below). Lefty also has more reddish and purplish color on the stems, and also has a distinct skunky aroma where Righteous still smells like just plant.
20170321_133358.jpg

As a side note my autos finally came in Monday, cracked on Tuesday, and should be popping any day now. Absolutely no idea what strain, got an auto fem mix and nothing's labeled so...! Started with two of those in 3gal pots to use up some space in the tent and see what happens. I may end up putting them outside depending how the OG veg goes though.

Decided I didn't have enough height to work with so upgraded to a 60x30x80 tent from the 48x24x60. Also added a tower oscillating fan and a larger 6" 440 cfm exhaust fan from the 4" 204cfm I had. Also ordered a humidifier because it's dropped to 35%.
20170326_080721_HDR.jpg

Topped, or probably fimmed, the ladies this weekend, 6th node on lefty and 7th on righteous. Lefty was clipped Friday
20170326_081030.jpg

And righteous Saturday
20170326_080913.jpg

They still seem to be doing good. I know I cut too high to be topped, but not sure if I did a proper fim. It means Fuck I Missed so I'm not sure how proper it could actually be!

Decided to go ahead and do some LST on the ladies so they will fill out a little more before reaching the screen. I've noticed they are growing quite a bit faster since their feeding and figured they will probably start to really show some growth so start training them now. In the new tent things got rearranged for now so righteous is the front one and lefty is in back.
20170326_215209.jpg

You can see that righteous is much more dense as you can't even see the twine I used for tying her down

The ladies are responding well to the LST and I've been tucking back the large fan leaves to get good light to the new growth. Temps are steady around 78-80 lights on and 70-72 lights off. Humidity is about 43-45 after watering, then gradually drops to about 30 just before the next. I've started lightly misting the ladies once or twice a day as the RH drops to combat the loss of moisture in the air. Here they are day 32 from seed back situated side by side.
20170331_103507.jpg

They did get another feeding this morning of big bloom and grow big. This is their second feeding and I intend to feed every other watering depending on how they respond. They seemed to handle 5 ml/gal of each last time really well so I upped to 10 ml/gal this feeding which is still lower than the 15 ml/gal FF recommends. So we will wait and see how they like it.

Day 37 from seed. Ladies still seem to be doing well. Lefty definitely stinks quite a bit but nothing from Righteous yet even though she looks fuller and seems to be the stronger of the two. Watered this morning so pushed back to 5 days from 3 to see how they respond. Both had a half gallon of just distilled. The misting has helped keep the humidity from dropping too low and am able to keep it closer to 40 now. Here's Lefty
20170404_105412.jpg

And Righteous
20170404_105419.jpg

I turned the lights off for just a sec to get some true shots. The autos are off to the side doing their thing in their 2nd week. One had some pretty bad spotting on the first set of leaves, but seem to be getting better and growing so the soil was probably just a bit hot as I've read he autos can be a bit more touchy. I added 2 more autos to the tent that germed yesterday and planted them in just HF to see how they start out. Figure I might as well use up this space and take advantage of the light. If my OG gets too big and starts shadowing I'll let them finish outside

Another thing I've learned in this first run is that I wish I had filled the pots all the way to the top with soil when I started. I left a half inch or so of space and as time has gone on there is almost 2 inches of space from the top of the pot down to the top of the soil. I didn't pack the soil down when I filled them, which I think is good, but as it settles that extra space I didn't fill has made a big difference. Essentially it seems I've basically turned a 5 gallon pot into a 4 or so gallon. It is harder to work with The LST, especially because the fabric pots are pliable and with so much space they fold and flop all in the way when trying to tie things down. The first 2 autos I planted I filled to the top and they've already settled about a half inch. So when I planted these last 2 , I kind of overflowed the pot so it will hopefully end up just below level.

Back
Top Bottom