2x Hydro Banana Kush x Gorilla Glue #4 Grow Journal - 2017

MikkaTheEnt

Hi fellow growers, I'm a California medical cannabis patient and this is the log for my very first grow. I actually have two separate grows, one is just bagseed in soil, but the good genetics are in GH WaterFarms. Here's my specs:

• 1 Vivosun 2x4x5 grow tent in second bedroom
  • 2 General Hydroponics WaterFarms
  • 1 6" evac fan with carbon filter (probably overkill for a small tent, sides are bowing in even at lowest speed)
  • 1 4" intake fan (may put another in)
  • 1 clip on fan for breezing the leaves
  • 2 Viparspectra 300w LEDs on pulleys (may switch to COBs for next grow)
Nutes are General Hydroponics FloraGro, FloraMicro and Flora bloom, used according to directions on the bottles. Using tap water pH tested and fixed with ph-Down (unfixed tap water is one full point above desirable range), checking with a TDS meter as well. Switching basins out every 7 days.

I've got four sprouts in the tent now, two in hydro and two in growbags and soil. I plan on moving the growbags outdoors in about a week after I'm done building an above ground garden box. Oh, I also have other sprouts in solo cups now, tomatos, Hatch green chiles from New Mexico, some basil and cilantro and dill, and still trying to sprout others in the germinator, though they may be duds. I'm going to move all the non-cannabis sprouts out into the above ground garden box too.

The good genetic grows are in hydro and are Banana Kush x Gorilla Glue #4, the soil grows are bagseed from I believe it was Grand Master Kush, a med buy that had one seeded bud.

Bagseed started on 1 March, BKxGG started on 11 March. Germinated the bagseeders in a wet paper towel, transferred to Rooter plugs and put into a heated germination station till they made their appearance. The BKxGG I planted directly into the plugs, because I wanted to see if there was any difference between paper towel and normal germination. There was, the BKxGG are the same size as the bagseed even though they were started 11 days apart. Maybe that's just due to superior genetics, though.

More coming (including pix). If you've read this far, thanks for reading. I'm doing this because I want to lower costs on my medicine (will be growing CBD strains in the future too), but I also like to grow things and this is kinda cool, actually, and being able to legally grow is great! And I would not have done it without reading all the vast resources of information I've studied here.

I'll pull a chair if you don't mind. Get some pics up in here, even if it's just setup pics. Is 420 folk just love to look at pictures.

:passitleft:
Will do when I get back home. Out today checking out Tomatomania at Descanso Gardens today (La Canada, CA).

Sent from my XT1064 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Some quick pix of the two strains. First, Banana Kush x Gorilla Glue #4 in hydro, this is on day 15 from seed:

420-magazine-mobile1403619775.jpg

Second is bagseed, probably Grand Master Kush, on day 25 from seed.

420-magazine-mobile586969349.jpg

And here's some pics of my setup: tent and contents inside.

First, the tent itself:

2017-03-03_grow_tent_up.jpg

And now the 6" fan and carbon filter:

2017-03-03_carbon_filtration.jpg

Finally, the two GH WaterFarms all set up and waiting for occupancy:

2017-03-03_hydro_stations.jpg

As far as logging goes, I tried GrowBuddy but found it to be a bit overkill for at least my first grow. So I created a spreadsheet to handle daily notes, count the days and so on, including small pictures. Eventually I'll move this over to a MySQL database but this works pretty well and it's very easy to maintain.

Overall, I'm really liking this experience, and plan to grow my own from here on out.

Future plans for this grow:

I'll put up a scrog net in a week or so, so I can maximize yield for the much anticipated harvest.

Already looking into building (or kitting) a COB lighting setup. Overall, so far I have no complaints on the Viparspectras even though I know they're not that popular. But ever the tinkerer, I'm always looking to doing it better.

Kids grow up so fast these days. Banana Kush x Gorilla Glue #4 on day 18 from seed. Both have now outpaced the bagseed I planted 11 days earlier. Not sure if that's important but I've noted it for the future.

2017-03-29_bkxgg2_day_18.jpg

Hiya JimmyJames, yes it's a cross with Gorilla Glue #4, and it comes from Best Life Farms. I got it from a delivery service here in Los Angeles:

Best Life Seeds - Hybrid - Flowers

Hard to know if it's from authentic DNA stock, I can't find an online listing for Best Life and the only one who apparently stocks it is Goddess Delivers; maybe that's the Goddess' own growery, maybe not.

Sorry, I know that's not much help, but it's all I've got so far. I am buying from Seedsman nowadays, these BKxGG4 are seeds I've had sitting around for a few months and finally decided to do something with.

Will do when I get back home. Out today checking out Tomatomania at Descanso Gardens today (La Canada, CA).

Hey man I'm in plants look good! I fucking love banna! I too have looked everywhere for it. Can't wait for your strain review. I'm in California too. These gardens are gorgeous! I have to take my wife back there very soon thanks for reminding me. Have you seen the pumpkin thing they do there?! Rise of the jackolantern

images_1_8.jpg

Subbed up!

Hey man I'm in plants look good! I fucking love banna! I too have looked everywhere for it. Can't wait for your strain review. I'm in California too. These gardens are gorgeous! I have to take my wife back there very soon thanks for reminding me. Have you seen the pumpkin thing they do there?! Rise of the jackolantern

images_1_8.jpg

Subbed up!

Thanks for the sub! No, I haven't been to Descanso for Halloween, but I have for Christmas. We have a membership to the Arboretum in Arcadia and they used to do crossover admissions with Descanso, but for some reason they've cut that out, so if we want to go to Descanso, it's $18 for the day. Still worth it once in a great while. My wife and I will have to check out Descanso's take on Halloween this year.

So, more on the mysterious "Best Life Farms" ... I was looking at my local dispensary (Bloom in Pasadena) and they have Cannatonic for $50 an 8th, from none other than Best Life. So I guess Best Life Farms is a real thing, I just have no frakkin' idea where they are located, or how I can order seeds from them direct. Seedsman has Cannatonic but it's from another seed breeder, so that's what I'm going with next grow.

All righty then, time for a plant sizing contest with myself. I'm simply amazed (thanks, Huell) at the difference in size between the bagseed and the now named Donkey Kong plants. Bagseed (supposed to be Grand Master Kush) was planted 11 days earlier than DK, but it was in soil instead of hydro, and genetics are completely different, so I guess there's no real comparison in the end. But the bagseed's leaves are much narrower than the DK's, so I'm thinking they are more sativa than indica.

Anyway, here's some pics. I substituted a tape measure for a banana (I've gotta get to Farmers Market). First, the Donkey Kong:

2017-03-31_dk2_size_comparison.jpg

Next up, the Bagseed:

2017-03-31_bs1_size_comparison.jpg

Now a side by side, though the perspective throws things off a bit:

2017-03-31_bs1_vs_dk2_size_comparison.jpg

Just about ready to shove those bagseeds out the door and into the raised bed garden:

2017-03-30_back_yard_raised_bed_garden.jpg

Just finished my second water change in the WaterFarms, now at full strength veg nutes (2 tsp of each in 1 gal water, a nice middle between 1 tsp for veg and 3 tsp for "aggressive" veg). Got some long roots down in the water tanks now on both (just a few each so far). Now let's see some action, my little ladies ...

Back
Top Bottom