LiveAndLetGro's 1st Time DWC LED Bagseedx4 Grow, 2017

Hello! First I would like to thank everyone for sharing their knowledge and wisdom. Because of folks like you, people like me are able to feel confident about getting started in what can seem like a very daunting venture.

Okay so first attempt at a grow journal, lets see how this goes...I am using the following items

4wx4lx6h Closet Grow - Room Temps 64-84, rH 40%-60%
600w Viparspectra Reflector series
20 gallon Tub - Tap water, H20 temps 64-70, pH 5.7-6.2
Tetra 77854 Whisper Air Pump, 60 Gallon
General Hydroponics Nutrients
PLANT!T GMC40l Clay Pebbles

My babies are all random bagseed I have collected over the last 5-7 years. I honestly can't remember what strains they could have been from but I would like to think I wouldn't have kept just any old seeds.

I started germination on 2/28/17 using paper towel method. By 3/5 they had all popped and been transferred into rockwool and a humidity dome. All did well with just one growing a little slower. On 3/8 I moved them from the dome to their new home in the 20 gallon tub. With about 17 gallons of water I used only 4 gallons worth of nutrients, just to give them a taste.

3/11 - I took my first pics of the seedlings in their new home.
IMG_0042_1_2.JPG
IMG_0041_1_3.JPG

I thought I would attempt some LST around 3/19 but have since stopped, deciding to wait til they got a few more nodes. At this point I think they were only around 3 nodes.
IMG_0061_1_2.JPG

Which brings us to current status - 4 weeks from seed, Veggin well.
IMG_0074_1_2.JPG
IMG_0078_1_2.JPG
IMG_0080_1_.JPG

My only concern at this point is that my plants are too close together. I assume 2 will be males but none have shown signs one way or the other. I could cut more holes, one in each corner of the lid, and move the plants but if I am going to do that it needs to be sooner rather than later so the roots aren't developed any more. I know some plants can show sex in 6 weeks of veg, should I wait or move the plants to new holes so they have more area between their bases? Are they going to be too bunched up? Would training them out, away from each other do the trick? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Today is water change day. They are getting pretty big. I will post some more pics later. I have another container like that one, I may end up splitting them up today as well. Also considering trying to take clones to sex them. Thanks for the reply and sub! Will update more later on.

Okay, big day for my babies today. They got themselves new, much more spacious homes, much to the chagrin of my nutrients. So, water is all good in both containers, 65 degrees, 6.0 ph. My ppm meter has read 170x10 on 3/20. 134 on 3/21. 144 on 3/23. 119 on 3/24. 111 on 3/30. Today after water change and nutes my ppm's were at 177 and 168. I need to do more research on the ppm and ec so I'll just leave it at that for now.

Here are my little ones new houses...
IMG_0087_1_2.JPG
IMG_0089_1_3.JPG
IMG_0091_1_2.JPG
IMG_009461.jpg
IMG_0097_1_6.JPG
IMG_0099_1_5.JPG
IMG_0100_1_4.JPG
IMG_0103_1_4.JPG
IMG_0104_1_2.JPG
IMG_010563.jpg

They look a little funny cause I have been training them, trying to get as much light to the stems as possible. Some of the roots had already grown together, I hope I didn't damage or shock them badly when I moved them. I will just watch them closely the next couple days to make sure they are okay. I think I am going to need to add another LED, especially for flowering.

New light on the way, this 600 watt grow is gonna become a 1200 watt grow :thumb:

Also the tracking number for my Attitude order started working today :high-five:

Exciting times!

I ordered another Viparspectra 600 watt. I've been happy with the one I have and thought another couldn't hurt. The only other thing I am considering is one of those all red G8 90 watt flowering lights.

I ordered 2 Bomb Seeds Medi Bomb #2, 2 Bomb Seeds Ice Bomb, 1 Bomb Seeds Berry Bomb, 1 Barney's Farm Bad Azz Kush, 1 Humboldt Seed Organization 707 Headband, and 1 Dinafem Seeds White Widow AUTO. Last two are freebies. All are feminized. First ever seed order so I kept it small just to see how it was going to go. So far, so good!

Oh and the plants are lookin good still today, I don't think they took any shock during transplant.

Well got the new light added. Definitely brightened it up in there. Made temp rise almost 5-7 degrees with the door shut so I had to make a couple of adjustments to make sure the temps stayed down. Now they are back to between 75-84.

Attitude order came today in perfect shape! Ordered some more because they have a good promo deal going on right now. :cheesygrinsmiley:
This order includes - 4 Freedom Seeds Purple Express AUTO - 3 Kalashnikov Seeds Purple Mazar AUTO (the last ones they had :slide:)and they threw in 7 freebies!!!

Well the plants seem to be doing alright. No real issue except for the yellowing of a few of the bottom leaves on a couple of the plants. My guess is some sort of nutrient deficiency so I topped the reservoirs off with a nice dose of nuted water. I hope that helps, I have been keeping the nutrients low.

IMG_0132_1_2.JPG
IMG_0133_1_1.JPG
IMG_0134_1_3.JPG
IMG_0135_1_2.JPG
IMG_0137_1_4.JPG
IMG_0138_1_2.JPG
IMG_0139_1_1.JPG
IMG_0140_1_2.JPG
IMG_0141_1_1.JPG
IMG_0142_1_1.JPG
IMG_0143_1_1.JPG
IMG_0144_1_1.JPG
IMG_0145_1_.JPG
IMG_0146_1_1.JPG

These are the latest photos. Not 100% the yellowing leaves are from a nute deficiency so any help is appreciated. I did just add that other 600 watt light so I thought maybe that had something to do with it but idk.

I have been thinking about flowering these guys. I know it will greatly effect my yield which is why I haven't done it yet, but it is tempting because these are random bagseed (probably some males) and I have some good females for my next go round. What would you do?

Hello! First I would like to thank everyone for sharing their knowledge and wisdom. Because of folks like you, people like me are able to feel confident about getting started in what can seem like a very daunting venture.

Okay so first attempt at a grow journal, lets see how this goes...I am using the following items

4wx4lx6h Closet Grow - Room Temps 64-84, rH 40%-60%
600w Viparspectra Reflector series
20 gallon Tub - Tap water, H20 temps 64-70, pH 5.7-6.2
Tetra 77854 Whisper Air Pump, 60 Gallon
General Hydroponics Nutrients
PLANT!T GMC40l Clay Pebbles

My babies are all random bagseed I have collected over the last 5-7 years. I honestly can't remember what strains they could have been from but I would like to think I wouldn't have kept just any old seeds.

I started germination on 2/28/17 using paper towel method. By 3/5 they had all popped and been transferred into rockwool and a humidity dome. All did well with just one growing a little slower. On 3/8 I moved them from the dome to their new home in the 20 gallon tub. With about 17 gallons of water I used only 4 gallons worth of nutrients, just to give them a taste.

3/11 - I took my first pics of the seedlings in their new home.
IMG_0042_1_2.JPG
IMG_0041_1_3.JPG

I thought I would attempt some LST around 3/19 but have since stopped, deciding to wait til they got a few more nodes. At this point I think they were only around 3 nodes.
IMG_0061_1_2.JPG

Which brings us to current status - 4 weeks from seed, Veggin well.
IMG_0074_1_2.JPG
IMG_0078_1_2.JPG
IMG_0080_1_.JPG

My only concern at this point is that my plants are too close together. I assume 2 will be males but none have shown signs one way or the other. I could cut more holes, one in each corner of the lid, and move the plants but if I am going to do that it needs to be sooner rather than later so the roots aren't developed any more. I know some plants can show sex in 6 weeks of veg, should I wait or move the plants to new holes so they have more area between their bases? Are they going to be too bunched up? Would training them out, away from each other do the trick? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Dude,
nice grow. Let your girls grow. They will let you know what they need. 4 plants will fill your space no doubt. I started with four and ended with one. And it fills my box completely. If I were you I would concentrate on just making them grow the very best you can this time. Chart everything PH, EC, PPM Rez temps, Rh and learn as much as you can.
Like you said one or two are gonna show as super female's later on..
This is fun, don't stress and you will have me and I am sure a few friends stop by to check up on you once and a while.
Don't be afraid to click my link below and ask questions if needed.
Gauge

Well the plants seem to be doing alright. No real issue except for the yellowing of a few of the bottom leaves on a couple of the plants. My guess is some sort of nutrient deficiency so I topped the reservoirs off with a nice dose of nuted water. I hope that helps, I have been keeping the nutrients low.

IMG_0132_1_2.JPG
IMG_0133_1_1.JPG
IMG_0134_1_3.JPG
IMG_0135_1_2.JPG
IMG_0137_1_4.JPG
IMG_0138_1_2.JPG
IMG_0139_1_1.JPG
IMG_0140_1_2.JPG
IMG_0141_1_1.JPG
IMG_0142_1_1.JPG
IMG_0143_1_1.JPG
IMG_0144_1_1.JPG
IMG_0145_1_.JPG
IMG_0146_1_1.JPG

These are the latest photos. Not 100% the yellowing leaves are from a nute deficiency so any help is appreciated. I did just add that other 600 watt light so I thought maybe that had something to do with it but idk.

I have been thinking about flowering these guys. I know it will greatly effect my yield which is why I haven't done it yet, but it is tempting because these are random bagseed (probably some males) and I have some good females for my next go round. What would you do?
Wait,
Are you checking pH? If the leaves​ are yellowing from the bottom up it could be the start of a deficency or the tin foil on top of the rez could be burning them.
I would not start new female seeds untill I was 100% sure I was confident in getting these girls to show sex.
If your dying to start the new seeds, make a veg chamber with your new light and finish your bag girls in your current set up.
Again chart, chart, chart.
Without charting you won't remember how you did what you are doing. Make one change at a time or you won't know what change did what.
If you have a pH and EC/ppm guage you can see them drink and eat and that is when you are in total control and this becomes fin and easier. Not a guessing game.
If you get the two rooms going, You can have an almost continuous grow.
Do check your states laws if your not in a legal state to keep numbers of plants under felony. . your grown, u do what you want.
As always. No smell, no tell and no sell.
Gauge

Yes sir, ph in the rez's holds tight at 6.0. I track my ppms and have a slight understanding of what they mean haha. I really like the idea of getting a veg and flower cycle going. I think you are right though, I just need to take my time with these guys and learn as much as I can and if I screw something up, at least it was just random bagseed.

I did have a temp spike the day I added my second light, it spiked to 90. It wasn't there for long but I read somewhere that may have caused the yellowing. So far, it isn't getting any worse. I got the temps back to where they need to be, a little Cal-Mag and topped the rez's off with nuted water the day I saw the yellowing start. Tomorrow is water change day, though I may do it today because I'll have more time. I change the water and feed every 10 days.

Thank you very much for stopping by Gauge, I really appreciate it.
No tell, no smell, no sell - that sir, is great advice. I want to be a farmer, not a felon.

Yes sir, ph in the rez's holds tight at 6.0. I track my ppms and have a slight understanding of what they mean haha. I really like the idea of getting a veg and flower cycle going. I think you are right though, I just need to take my time with these guys and learn as much as I can and if I screw something up, at least it was just random bagseed.

I did have a temp spike the day I added my second light, it spiked to 90. It wasn't there for long but I read somewhere that may have caused the yellowing. So far, it isn't getting any worse. I got the temps back to where they need to be, a little Cal-Mag and topped the rez's off with nuted water the day I saw the yellowing start. Tomorrow is water change day, though I may do it today because I'll have more time. I change the water and feed every 10 days.

Thank you very much for stopping by Gauge, I really appreciate it.
No tell, no smell, no sell - that sir, is great advice. I want to be a farmer, not a felon.
Your welcome.
Your setup looks good. A couple things about heat. Your power strip, air pump or anything else that produces heat need to go outside your space during the hot times(now) make sure you have a variable exhaust fan switch that your fan plugs into.
Keep your lights at least 12" away from the plants. Follow the viper's recommendations. See my journal to see how to bleach your plants (fuck up).
Watch your Rez temps.. that will kill your plants. Use a beneficial enzyme. I use Z7 and it's great for me. .5 ml per gallon. I grow in 2 gallons. So temps rise and drop quickly. If you chart you can probably get 10 days plus on your solution. I just add water and watch my Parts Per Million. As my plant drinks they solution more concentrated so I add more distilled water that does not change my PH. If she is eating heavy and my Parts per million (food) is getting below what I like, I mix a small batch of nutes and feed her.
My green crack plant likes 5.8-6.1 pH and 1600-1900 ppm.
I do not adjust my pH at all. When I do a Rez change, my start pH is lime 3.8-4.0 and then rises to 5.8-6.0 within a day.
I know this because I use graph paper and chart what goes in and then at least once a day but usually twice.
Once in the morning when I check on her. I will turn the exhaust fan up to max, chart, add a little desk fan and adjust heat or humidity up or down if needed.
In the evening I remove the desk fan. Turn the exhaust fan all the way down depending on the heat, I add a CO2 pad, Chart. Heat, humidity if needed and of course make any adjustments.

Hope this helps, I know your already doing great. I want your experience to be as fun and fulfilling as mine has been.

Gauge

Lots of info i know.
This makes it simple and i did this at first and it works perfectly. just chart and follow the instructions.
Got this from "how to grow Marijuana" in the Grow Room forum. Lots of good stuff.
Again ask anything. I will leave you alone now but dont think you are bothering me.

I am gonna give you rep for doing so great on your grow. i appreciate the give back. its the star looking thing near "blog this post" lower left. thanks!

Gauge
PH-EC_Chart11.jpg

How important is humidity at this stage? It usually rises and falls from around 25%-50% throughout the day, staying the in the mid 30% range for the most part. Should I make it a bit more humid? Rez temp has gotten to 72 degrees before, but mostly stays between 65-69, as long as I pay attention throw some frozen water bottles in it in the morning and at night. My tap water has between 70-110 ppm. So far, I have only got it up to about 170 with all my nutes added in. With the water change coming up I will probably adjust my nute levels from the suggested "mild vegetative growth" to "aggressive vegetative growth" as suggested by GH. I just checked the ppm again and it was 180. I added a small amount of the cal mag (1 ml in a quart of water) to the rez's yesterday and did not check ppm before, which I should have done.

I went back and looked at your journal, I really like what you do with the graph paper. That makes it plain as day. I will have to adapt the same practice for sure. Science! Lol

Back
Top Bottom