Grow #3 - Blueberry Headband CBD In Soil Outdoors

MikkaTheEnt

All right, now that I've got two (hopefully) high THC strains midway through veg, clock's a tickin' and I figured it was high time to start another batch, this time CBD so that I can make my own tincture (and even a bud or two to vape). So here's the specs:

• 3 Blueberry Headband CBD feminized photoperiod seeds from the Seedsman
  • Seeds were started on 4/8/17 in rooter plugs in a heated germination station
  • To be transplanted into soil in solo cups and put into the tent under two 300w LEDs
  • After they are stronger, I will bag 'em, tag 'em and move 'em outdoors
This is where I'm thinking it's time to get another grow tent setup, but I'm still recovering from the cost of the first, so that's out for now. Maybe next year ...

Here's what the lovely lassies look like at Day 0, much like other pre-seedlings but these ones are mine:

2017-04-08_bh123_in_rooter_plugs.jpg

Sorry for the blurry pic, I blame the damn cat. I know, not much to look at right now. But I'm hoping these three will all pop up soon and I can happily display their ample larboard sides. Will update when the lovely ladies show their faces to the sky.

We've reached the end of day 5 since I first planted the three seeds. All three have sprouted, two vigorously and one a bit sluggishly but so far hanging in there.

Today I transplanted them into soil + pearlite in 3 gallon grow bags, and moved them back into the grow tent, where they will spend the next two weeks learning how to grow and be good under LEDs. After two weeks, I have to flip the lights to flower for another grow, so outside these three will go then, to take their places alongside the bag seed grows I started last month.

2017-04-14_bh1-3_in_grow_bags_day_5.jpg

So a few weeks ago I decided to split my Blueberry Headband CBD grows: 2 outdoors in soil, and one indoors in hydro. Today I did a progress comparison, and I guess it's safe to say that hydro wins hands down. Here's the proof:

bh_indoor_outdoor_grow_comparison.png

This may not be a totally fair comparison. Because I only have one tent, and two hydro stations, and the other hydro occupant is now in flower, I had to flip the lights to 12/12 on day 15 veg. I know this means that I won't see as much growth because of the early flip, but I'm willing to accept that for now. I'll time my grows a bit better next time so that I can give everybody the full veg time they need. Or maybe get another tent just for veg, and the old one for flower.

Here we are in day 40 for the Blueberry Headband CBD grows. The indoor one is going great guns, even started flowering (since she's in the tent with a flowering older mate). She is still growing, and I still have her on aggressive grow nutes. I think I'll let her go another 2 weeks and then switch to flowering nutes.

2017-05-18_bh_hydro_day_40.jpg

In sharp contrast are her two mates that I put in soil and took outdoors a few weeks ago. Growth seems stunted compared to the hydro, but then I'm pushing the hydro one a lot more.

2017-05-18_bh1-2_soil_day_40.jpg

(that's russet potatoes growing behind them in the raised bed). Pretty pitiful performance in comparison, but I guess it's typical of an outdoor grow that I've read. I'd bring them indoors except I don't want to chance contamination with outside hitchhiking critters, so I'll just let these go as they want to grow.

I expect to harvest sometime in September. After these are harvested, I don't think I'll be doing any more outdoor grows, as they just take too long and are unpredictable. I like the control you have with indoor tent growing, controlling the lights, "wind", etc., and you get faster results.

My Blueberry Headband CBD plants (all three of them) are now in day 50 from seed. The two outdoor grows are starting to build up, but are still pretty small compared to my indoor grow of the same strain.

2017-05-28_182808.jpg

They are the two small ones in the back, behind my russet potatoes in the raised bed. Still way too early to tell what's going to happen to these. They haven't really grown much taller, but they are starting to spread out a bit.

On the other hand, the indoor grow is phenomenal:

2017-05-25_193433.jpg

She too, like her tent companion DK1, reached up and touched the bottom of the LEDs when I had to leave for a few days. Fortunately, no burn here, but I raised the lights another 12" anyway. This is an early bloomer, I had to flip to flower at the same time DK1 had to flower, and it didn't develop as much as I'd originally wanted. Note for next time to time the grows a bit better so I can flower at the same time. She's still on aggressive grow nutes, but I will probably move to flowering nutes this coming Friday.

Hiya Mr Jojo, I think you may have my other grow mixed up with this one. Here's my Blueberry Headband CBD in hydro harvest:

IMG_20170711_222641.jpg

Unfortunately, this one's tent mate had to go to flower, so I pushed this one into flower 3 weeks earlier than I wanted (gotta time things better next grow). She only had 3 weeks of veg, but did get six weeks of flower time. When all was said and done, I got a modest but sticky and great smelling 10 grams (photo above). These buds are in cure right now, and I think I might be pressing this grow into extract rather than vaping.

The grow I think you're thinking of is my Donkey Kong (Banana Kush x Gorilla Glue #4) grow, which gave me a bit over 2 oz. at harvest. Here's the link to the latest entry showing the harvest:

2x Hydro Banana Kush x Gorilla Glue #4 Grow Journal - 2017

I have learned a lot from these, my first grows. I'm just about to start two new grows and will post new journals for those. They will be White Widow x Big Bud, and Holy Grail Kush. I had originally wanted to do Grand Daddy Purple but those seeds got lost (or stolen) in transit, so I'll save that for next time.

Just a quick heads up on the two outdoor grows of this strain. They are enjoying their time in the sun, reaching up a bit more (they are now about 5' tall). They don't look a whole lot different, though, so no need for new pix. They are not bushy at all, just kind of spindly and growing up rather than out. No sign of calyxes yet either. I'm just working on keeping them adequately hydrated through the current Los Angeles area heat wave, and hoping for a late August or September harvest.

Hope all is well in your world.

Thanks for sharing this grow with us.

So sorry to read about the blight.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please feel free to start a new journal here: Journals in Progress

You can use the Report Post feature found at the bottom left of every post and we'll move it for you right away.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom