Kiwi Skunk In Dangerous Night Time Temperature

JoetheChro

Kiwi Skunk. Grown with nothing but love, sweat and tears (of joy). Was given these as a freebie when I ordered seeds online and as we all know the only thing that beats bud is bud that has been bestowed benevolently ;)

I needed a quick, almost frenzied grow after being told by my landlord that the property was being put up for rent. Annoyingly, the seeds I'd bought would take too long to harvest but in a eureka moment I remembered the freebies I had stashed away for what I assumed would be a 'test and see' grow rather than the pivotal 'fail and end up homeless' grow it had now become.

With stereotypical flashbacks of digital clocks counting down and me running through built up urban areas I quickly gathered the tools of my trade and set to work.

I was starting from seed so soaked rock wool cubes and the seeds themselves in a mixture of weakened nutrient solution and root stimulator overnight. The next morning I planted the slightly fattened seeds into the oh so moist centre of the rockwool, saying a silent prayer to the bud gods above to keep watch over their new flock-crop.

The gods were kind and the back up sacrificial lamb I had tethered in the garden lived to see another day, out of the 8 that went in, 7 sprouted up vigorously, their little colytedons displayed like peacock feathers.

Like a proud father I smiled and sang to the the little 'bubbas' (as they are affectionately known in our household) it was early days and extra tender, loving care was going to be needed. I looked down at the little seedlings and shuddered at the responsibility that had been placed so unfairly on their shoulders. They didn't know...not yet...but soon their destiny and mine would combine in cataclysmic collision that would lead to infinite happiness and soppy grinned wisdom or doom, desolation and THCless despair.

I was happy my set up would provide a good, solid almost near consistent environment for the bubbas from start to finish. A large grow tent (6x6x4) would house 'The 7' giving them more than enough space to dance and jiggle about. The jiggling and dancing possible due to the two 6inch revolving fans clipped to either end of the grow rooms support poles. A third was positioned in one of the corners, blowing air up and through the plants to keep the top soil insect free.

2x600w Gavita SE were the dazzling light force I had recently purchased. Unused and untested I marvelled at the power that was promised inside their simple housing. These were here to do one thing. ILLUMINATE!

Vegetative stage lasted for 5 weeks. Time constraints took away the extra week I would have normally used but the bubbas looked healthy going into 12/12. Humidity and temperature had been at a near constant 65/70% and 21-22'c respectively, the transition to the much larger pots (creative differences, I'm about to drop the 'I told you so' tomorrow ;) had gone smoothly and the plants had the vitality of a young Rocky Marciano as I bid them goodnight, eager for the 12/12 cycle to start the next day.

The flowering stage went well, I was happy with my set up before I started and I didn't have to make many adjustments that could have stressed the plant. In the 5th week, 5/7 of the bubbas decided that the lowered nitrogen feed I was giving them wasn't up to their expectations. What followed was a battle of flushing and slightly boosting before re-flushing. I think now the larger pots were a contributing factor to this. I drilled extra holes into the sides of the container and flushed again. During week 6 the yellowing had stopped and I breathed a sigh of relief.

The seedbank stated that Kiwi Skunk was ready in 9 weeks from seed to harvest. I was sceptical of this as I've found that adding a week to most seeds I've come across this way is a safer bet.

However, I tinkered about with lowered night time temperatures...dangerous but not suicidal, if, I was able to create enough of an air flow around the buds and their accompanying foliage. I had installed an overly large exhaust fan and had the three revolving fans (at different heights) inside the grow tent to push, pull and throw around (before sucking out) the fresh air coming in through the intake. Bud mould loves the moist air and damp that the temperatures I was dropping to so readily accommodate. I had faith and at this point something bordering on the point of neurosis as I laughed and got the bubbas ready for the big chill.

The movement of air inside the tent...I can only describe it as violent. I watched as the plants swayed more than I would have normally liked but the smell of bud mould lurked up from the back of my mind, flashes of plants pulled down in the past due to careless environment monitoring. No bud mould would have no place here. Not this time.

The crazy environment that lurked perilously close to the weather where I'm from (give you a hint...rain) seemed to make my little bubbas into pumped up beef cakes. Gnarly, almost oak like stems started to form as the plants stood up to the wind like an old sailor on the front of a ship. I was impressed and slightly in awe of how they acclimatised.

I think that the toughened environment led to half the plants (nearer to the fans) coming down early 2 days into week 8. I was looking at ten to fourteen days but was not about to start complaining ;)

The day after I took the first plant down I was diagnosed as having ASD, a type of high functioning autism. I'd lived with it all my life and felt relieved that I finally had a 'reason' behind the way I did things. The first time I ever felt any relief in my life was the first time I experienced weed. It's helped me when I didn't know what was going on and allowed me to be a 'normal'.

I love weed for that and always will.

On the plus side I've been told that as part of my having ASD I'm a tiny bit regimental with the way I do things.

If only she could see my daily bud growing itinerary ;)

Thank you, I hope you enjoyed this, it's my first time submitting a journal and I aim to have a few more before I'm done.

See you later. Joe the Chro xx

420-magazine-mobile117925440.jpg

420-magazine-mobile2108251011.jpg

420-magazine-mobile238624690.jpg

420-magazine-mobile105135624.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1691894411.jpg

420-magazine-mobile2024784111.jpg

420-magazine-mobile2013019913.jpg

I got put onto the canna line by my mate. Tera Vega (for the veg, just in case!) and then Terra Flores when they looked ready for it after the switch. It didn't go down well with my soil so had to adjust the ph slightly higher than recommended. Later found out Canna test their products in their own soil mix and use that as the standard while neglecting to tell anybody! Still a lesson learnt or maybe I'm wrapped up in a Canna-spiracy where I keep having to buy the accessories ;)

I let it range when they were in veg, I don't stick to the same number everyday, if it's one or two points from where it should be then I'll go with it. And I didn't notice anything that made me research into Canna like I did! A short time into flowering and the Flores, I started getting what looked like nitro burn but thought it was unlikely. The reason I got it was the designed for bloom npk ratio. After going through checks and crossing off the culprits I started having a look and found many who'd had the same problem. I was going in much higher than normal using the feed and bloom but felt I was pushing them a bit towards the end. I have them a longer than usual flush instead of feeding. I don't know if this hurt the yield or saved the plants?

Nah, pushing them up until flushing is what I do.. what hurt the yield is the inconsistent pH. Veg should be a consistent pH, in my opinion, along with flower. It's crucial for nutrient uptake. Each strain has two specific pH it likes for veg and flower for optimum growth and resin production. For example, xj-13 likes 6.0 for veg and 5.8 for flower. Yes it'll grow with other pHs used, but not necessarily the best it can be.

Back
Top Bottom